Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olmstead ?
What is the controversy going on at Olmstead?
From what I'm hearing, they played Meyzeek middle and were up 14-0 at half. Meyzeek didn't come back out for 2nd half due to (rumored) Olmsted playing a ineligible player.

JCPS has its own sets of football conference rules and I believe the rule in question is about time(years) in middle school. Jcps says you have 3 years of eligibility to play. If you fail
It costs you one year. So say you fail 6th grade you can't play repeat year but can play 7th grade year but not 8th grade year cause you'd be in middle for 4 years.

Again, this is just what I have heard is the issue, I'm not 100% on this but will like to see what comes from this.
Did officials not check paper work before game
Would this have been an issue if it wasn't a JCPS vs. JCPS match-up? I would bet not. You have all year to play by JCPS rules, teams should be forced to play by KYMSFA rules come playoff time. This isn't the JCPS State Championship we're all fighting for.
I agree, this is a KYMSFA state tournament and everyone has to follow the same rules! Just out of curiosity what rules are different with JCPS?
So you think that JCPS teams shouldn't follow along with their conference rules? Why have a conference if you don't follow the rules in that conference?

The rule that was broke was a rule that states you have 3 years to play 3 years of athletics and the student in question was in middle school for 4 years. Apparently, this team was informed earlier in year about not playing this student and they did anyway. This was a conference rule violation and was penalized.
Coach_Lockwood Wrote:So you think that JCPS teams shouldn't follow along with their conference rules? Why have a conference if you don't follow the rules in that conference?

The rule that was broke was a rule that states you have 3 years to play 3 years of athletics and the student in question was in middle school for 4 years. Apparently, this team was informed earlier in year about not playing this student and they did anyway. This was a conference rule violation and was penalized.

You didn't answer my question. Had this been a JCPS school versus anyone else outside of the conference, would this have been an issue? Not everyone outside of the JCPS is aware of their conference rules. This instance is something that should have been clarified prior to halftime of the first game of the playoffs. JCPS should carry a stiff penalty for Olmstead next season if they knowingly played an ineligible player. Breaking the rules is one thing, purposely breaking the rules is another.
Middle school needs one governing body. It is annoying going and playing somewhere where the conference has different rules. Everyone should just follow the Khsaa rules
Wildcat sorry I didn't answer directly. If it was brought to attention that kid was playing, then I feel this would still have happened. I agree that everyone should play by exactly same rules but again it comes down to who governs middle school
And if they can enforce rules.
Coach_Lockwood Wrote:Wildcat sorry I didn't answer directly. If it was brought to attention that kid was playing, then I feel this would still have happened. I agree that everyone should play by exactly same rules but again it comes down to who governs middle school
And if they can enforce rules.

It was already brought to everyone's attention according to your previous comment. You said earlier that the team was informed and they continued to let him play illegally. It shouldn't be up to the KYMSFA to enforce a JCPS rule. If it weren't a JCPS vs JCPS game, no one would have known. If Olmstead doesn't face a significant penalty from JCPS next season, that shows how legit that conference is.
What are the rules for this under KYMSFA? What prompted JCPS to put this rule into place? As I understand it, this is the first year JCPS has enforced this.
JCPS has always had this rule and it's been enforced before. My first year at my school (6years ago) we had kids that we didn't play for this reason.
I understand it being a JCPS rule, but outside of JCPS play it's hard to say it holds weight. Pretty much like a conference rule not allowing holdbacks to play, but as soon as state playoffs begin they were good. This being before the new rule.
But according to state playoffs you have to play in one regular season game to be eligible, correct?

If this weren't the case then the JCPS teams would load up at playoff time because of the talent that is in our youth system here.

Not saying that I agree that conferences have rules that differ from state but you are to abide by the rules that are set out for you.
I know this is all a mute point as its been written but the question still remains... Why are they using JCPS rules in a KYMSFA run tournament? Who is in charge of checking the team rosters for these rules that are in place? I can understand why they had to forfeit if the main issue was the fact that they were told not to play him and did anyway. Does anyone know if it was it Meyzeeks coaches were the who brought this up during the game or someone else?