Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 KYMSFA State Championship Brackets
Somerset to Region 4 Site Belfry- 3hr 45 minutes
Somerset to Region 3 Site Louisville- 2hr 30 minutes

Region 4 has 12 teams
Region 3 has 5 teams

Yeah...Meece to Region 4 makes TONS of sense lol. You can't tell me that there isn't the same thing at hand here that goes on in the NCAA Tournament selection. Story lines beat out common sense that is better for the kids. No way Meece should be traveling nearly 4 hours to Belfry when they are that much closer to CAL.
If we use your logic, then Northern and Southern Pulaski should be in Region 2 or 3 cause they are closer to Louisville.

Somerset and Williamsburg are Region 4 teams that were playing in Region 2 to help balance out that region until the region was able to get more true region 2 teams in. This year they have 5 true region 2 teams enter.

So is it fair to have a true region 4 team play in region 2 just for the fact that youd rather see a game in state title instead of regional finals?

The teams are in the divisions and regions they are suppose to be in. The reason Region 4 has so many teams is because the teams in that area will enter every year. There are 3 teams from Region 3 that did not enter a varsity team this year due to having bad records.

Also, you wanna compare a KY middle school football teams travel budget to a NCAA team budget?
UPSCat4080 Wrote:Somerset to Region 4 Site Belfry- 3hr 45 minutes
Somerset to Region 3 Site Louisville- 2hr 30 minutes

Region 4 has 12 teams
Region 3 has 5 teams

Yeah...Meece to Region 4 makes TONS of sense lol. You can't tell me that there isn't the same thing at hand here that goes on in the NCAA Tournament selection. Story lines beat out common sense that is better for the kids. No way Meece should be traveling nearly 4 hours to Belfry when they are that much closer to CAL.

I think you are picturing the playoff selection something different than it is. There are really no judgements unless a bracket is unbalanced (3 or less teams) or logistical decisions have to be made for 7th grade games to coincide.

The host sites don't determine what region you are in. Belfry offered to host. They have turf. I imagine if any of the schools in the PC area had turf they would get to host.
That is the bad thing for Corbin, London, Somerset teams. Closest fields that have turf to the east are over 2 hours away.
Do What? Now you have to have turf to host a regional game? Your missing his point,he is saying Louisiville is closer to Somerset than Belfry so why sent Somerset farther to play in an already crowded region.
Mustang Jax Wrote:Do What? Now you have to have turf to host a regional game? Your missing his point,he is saying Louisiville is closer to Somerset than Belfry so why sent Somerset farther to play in an already crowded region.

LOL...find me a hs coach going to let 4 ms games play on his grass field (rain or shine) October 22nd.

So what some of you think is the year that a school on the far side of the region hosts then those on the other side should be able to jump in the closest region.
Bell has turf
Coach_Lockwood Wrote:If we use your logic, then Northern and Southern Pulaski should be in Region 2 or 3 cause they are closer to Louisville.

Somerset and Williamsburg are Region 4 teams that were playing in Region 2 to help balance out that region until the region was able to get more true region 2 teams in. This year they have 5 true region 2 teams enter.

So is it fair to have a true region 4 team play in region 2 just for the fact that youd rather see a game in state title instead of regional finals?

The teams are in the divisions and regions they are suppose to be in. The reason Region 4 has so many teams is because the teams in that area will enter every year. There are 3 teams from Region 3 that did not enter a varsity team this year due to having bad records.

Also, you wanna compare a KY middle school football teams travel budget to a NCAA team budget?

I think there was some misunderstanding with my previous comment. The Somerset/Pulaski schools will have to be on a bus for 7 hours going to Belfry when they could only be on a bus for approximately 3.5 hours round trip in almost any other region going to Louisville, Bowling Green, E-town, etc. Region 4 will be hosting it's finals next year in one of the Virginia's if we keep pushing that location east. What are you calling a "true region 4 team?" Based on the current alignment lines (which I have been told may be re-evaluated soon) or based on actual mileage? There is great pride in being in Region 4. I would like to see it stay as is with a plan for a more centrally located finals site. It's understandable if things don't work out, as I'm sure that's how it happened in this case. I love turf as much as the next guy, but maybe another route should be taken.
Coach_Lockwood Wrote:If we use your logic, then Northern and Southern Pulaski should be in Region 2 or 3 cause they are closer to Louisville.

Does KYMSFA offer a map of the boundaries for the 4 regions or at least a list of which counties are included in what regions? I could care less about when a NH vs MEECE matchup happens....who the heck knows if it will even happen. What I do know is that maybe the committee or powers that be should pick a site that is more friendly to all participants. Meece and Williamsburg are driving 3hrs 30 minutes or more to Belfry; New Harlan, Mtn View, Hazard, and Evarts are driving around 2hrs 30 minutes; Paintsville and Adams are driving around an hour; and Phelps and Pikeville can leave school an hour before kickoff and still have time to warm up.

You're right about comparing a middle school budget to an NCAA budget. The NCAA at least can justify making teams play cross country because they have the money to do so. What is the KYMSFA justification for sending middle school kids over 3.5 hours away for a football game?
BobcatPride74 Wrote:Bell has turf

Harlan County has one of the nicest facilities in the state...and turf. Not enough people who have Harlan relations on the KYMSFA decision making committee.
BobcatPride74 Wrote:Bell has turf

Didn't they host last year?

Did they ask to host again this year?
It really is what cardfan said. Regionals are played on turf and a email was sent out earlier in season about teams interested in hosting the regional finals for all 4 divisions. A high school coach/team really isn't gonna wanna let a bunch of middle school teams destroy their grass field.

And it just happened that belfry put in for regionals so region 4 will go to mountains. If teams in that region don't like making that drive they need to get their high school to agree to host the regionals next year but a turf team will more than likely always get it.
We did host , not sure if anyone ask!
UPSCat4080 Wrote:Does KYMSFA offer a map of the boundaries for the 4 regions or at least a list of which counties are included in what regions? I could care less about when a NH vs MEECE matchup happens....who the heck knows if it will even happen. What I do know is that maybe the committee or powers that be should pick a site that is more friendly to all participants. Meece and Williamsburg are driving 3hrs 30 minutes or more to Belfry; New Harlan, Mtn View, Hazard, and Evarts are driving around 2hrs 30 minutes; Paintsville and Adams are driving around an hour; and Phelps and Pikeville can leave school an hour before kickoff and still have time to warm up.

You're right about comparing a middle school budget to an NCAA budget. The NCAA at least can justify making teams play cross country because they have the money to do so. What is the KYMSFA justification for sending middle school kids over 3.5 hours away for a football game?

How do you pick a friendly site when the friendly sites don't want to host or even offer to host?

You can't force schools to host the Region 4 games.

The solution is always more middle schools play in where the number of regions can increase and shrink the area that schools have to travel.
I think it's the same way Whitley got a play in game last year with a 7-1 record.
Is etown not hosting region 2?
Perry, Hazard, Prestonsburg all have turf fields. A better option for all those teams from Pulaski, Laurel, Knox, counties. Perry and Hazard would be great options... Fair travel either way..
all this complaining about travel time. just cancel the whole tournament its just middle school sports. :argue:
Oh my goodness. Everybody is crying and pouting about the drive. I didn't hear anyone from belfry of pikeville complaining about traveling to log mountain last year. It flips, that's how it works. A lot of Meece folks are masking their fear of New Harlan with complaints about travel. Sorry Meece, you'll have to work through it. You won't see Lexington unless you beat New Harlan. Don't worry my Redhounds have to get through Belfry and Northern Pulaski to get there too. It's part of being in region 4. We're the best, we're the SEC of middle school football.
Also consider that the KYMSFA has to hire officials. It's a lot easier to get one crew to work four games than it is to get four crews to work one game. Also easier to get crew/crews to go to one place instead of sending them to 4 different places.
BobcatPride74 Wrote:We did host , not sure if anyone ask!

Bell Co was a very nice place to play last year! I was hoping that's where it would be held this year! Hazard would have been great as well! I'm sure Belfry is a great place it's just so far from everywhere!
Trust me. It is hard to get teams to host because it takes a lot of work. People would rather bitch than work. Region 4 teams with turf are Johnson County (Johnson Central), Adams (Prestonsburg), Belfry, Pikeville, Hazard, Martin County (Sheldon Clark), Bell County and Letcher Central. Congrats to Belfry to step up and put in the work.
THOMCAT Wrote:Trust me. It is hard to get teams to host because it takes a lot of work. People would rather b**** than work. Region 4 teams with turf are Johnson County (Johnson Central), Adams (Prestonsburg), Belfry, Pikeville, Hazard, Martin County (Sheldon Clark), Bell County and Letcher Central. Congrats to Belfry to step up and put in the work.

While I disagree with the profanity I agree with what you're saying. People don't understand that just because a team has a turf field, doesn't mean that they're willing to host. I agree hazard would be a great place to host. . . IF they would apply they might have a chance at hosting. As the old saying goes "if ifs and buts were candy and mixed nuts we would all have a merry Christmas".
Why not do two games each (instead of all 4) at schools in close proximity. North/South Laurel, Corbin/Whitley, Knox/Corbin, Pulaski/Southwestern/Somerset, Pike Central/Pikeville, Bell/Middlesboro, etc. There are ways to keep games close for logistics purposes. Folks are too stuck on turf, that's the problem. I'm guilty of that myself on some occasions.
So you say forget the seeding and just make teams play teams that are nearby? That's not how it works in HS and isn't that whatever are really getting these players ready for?
The thing is we can argue about seeding, travel, etc till were blue in the face. Truth is the KYMSFA has brought a great thing to the state with the state playoffs. I remember a time not so long ago, that teams played for nothing more than bragging rights. These are volunteers acting out to help the game in our state. There are going to be complaints no matter how it's done, we all just love to argue under anonymous names. One thing I can think of that would be cool to have is a coaches poll through out the season to keep things interesting, and it may also help with seeding.
Doesn't the Redhounds have to play Bell first!!! Never mind that's 7th you are talking about !!
Coach_Lockwood Wrote:So you say forget the seeding and just make teams play teams that are nearby? That's not how it works in HS and isn't that whatever are really getting these players ready for?

Who said to forget the seeding? You're not being logical.

I'm not blaming the KYMSFA for any seeding or any logistical error. It has been done correctly. I can't make that any clearer. I understand why they do what they do. I understand everyone doesn't allow their field use. I get it. I'm simply saying that becoming more flexible with the turf/grass decision or re-evaluating the regional lines may make a bit more sense in the layout of the playoffs. Don't take my comments as complaints, that's not the intention.

There is very little comparison between the KHSAA and the KYMSFA. With the KHSAA, you don't have to worry about teams bailing out the day before a game (like a JCPS school did to us this season). You HAVE to stick to your schedule. As far as playoff scenarios for the KHSAA, home field is earned until semi-state, even then alternated between regions. That is on turf OR grass.
Wildcat18 Wrote:Why not do two games each (instead of all 4) at schools in close proximity. North/South Laurel, Corbin/Whitley, Knox/Corbin, Pulaski/Southwestern/Somerset, Pike Central/Pikeville, Bell/Middlesboro, etc. There are ways to keep games close for logistics purposes. Folks are too stuck on turf, that's the problem. I'm guilty of that myself on some occasions.

Oversight is the biggest reason for 4 games at one site instead of two games at 8 sights. Regional finals games have to have some oversight over them. Due to some past happenings that went on before we went to the 4 games at a Regional site, we really cant change the format. Not enough KYMSFA to go around if that makes sense.
THOMCAT Wrote:Trust me. It is hard to get teams to host because it takes a lot of work. People would rather bitch than work. Region 4 teams with turf are Johnson County (Johnson Central), Adams (Prestonsburg), Belfry, Pikeville, Hazard, Martin County (Sheldon Clark), Bell County and Letcher Central. Congrats to Belfry to step up and put in the work.

2011 Martin Co
2012 Johnson Co
2013 Johnson Co
2014 Letcher Central
2015 Bell Co
2016 Belfry

Of the member schools with turf fields the only three that havent hosted are.

Harlan Co -never have offered to host
Hazard - Cant host that weekend due to other events on the field
Prestonsburg - Was a finalist this year, had to back out due to a conflict.

Region 4 is the only region where schools line up to host. Every other region we have to beg teams to host.