Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 KYMSFA State Championship Brackets
Wildcat18 Wrote:What is the enrollment for Shelby Valley? I'm assuming they pull from different elementary schools. Is that correct?

kids03 Wrote:A school the size of SV only has 20 kids and now down to 15 wow that's not good

Shelby Valley's middle school team pulls from Valley Elementray and Dorton Elementary, the two K-8 schools that feed into SVHS. Neither school has its own football field, so the combined team uses the high school's field/facilities.

Valley school has around 100 kids (boys and girls) per grade, while Dorton has a little less than half of that. I don't know what the official numbers are that SV turns in to KYMSFA, but I would guess the total number of boys they pull from would be around 140-150.

And yes, a roster of 20 (or less) is a little smaller than what you would hope for from one of the larger D3 schools. But it is what it is. When they're all healthy, there is enough talent in those 20 kids to field a good team.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Belfry traveled to southwestern
More Cowbell Wrote:Shelby Valley's middle school team pulls from Valley Elementray and Dorton Elementary, the two K-8 schools that feed into SVHS. Neither school has its own football field, so the combined team uses the high school's field/facilities.

Valley school has around 100 kids (boys and girls) per grade, while Dorton has a little less than half of that. I don't know what the official numbers are that SV turns in to KYMSFA, but I would guess the total number of boys they pull from would be around 140-150.

And yes, a roster of 20 (or less) is a little smaller than what you would hope for from one of the larger D3 schools. But it is what it is. When they're all healthy, there is enough talent in those 20 kids to field a good team.

So if there are 150 Kids per Grade and say half are boys that means 75 boys in 8th Grade, or 150 boys in 7th & 8th combined but now down to 15 on the team is not as good as I would have thought. That has to be one of the lower percentages in the area. That's surprising with their recent success on High School level. Hope they can pick it up.
proud44pirate Wrote:Belfry traveled to southwestern

What year did Belfry travel to Southwestern for the regional final?
kids03 Wrote:So if there are 150 Kids per Grade and say half are boys that means 75 boys in 8th Grade, or 150 boys in 7th & 8th combined but now down to 15 on the team is not as good as I would have thought. That has to be one of the lower percentages in the area. That's surprising with their recent success on High School level. Hope they can pick it up.

That's what I was thinking as well. There's no way you should have those low numbers with that enrollment. That usually means it's time for your coach to be re-evaluated. Recruit your own schools folks.
Region 3 - 7th grade

Westport 24 - JCTMS 14
8th d1
score winner vs score loser
8 farnsley vs 0 highland

8d3
28 hazard vs 22 evarts

7th
24 westport vs 14 jctms
42 southern pulaski vs 14 south laurel
20 lca vs 8 shelby east
kids03 Wrote:So if there are 150 Kids per Grade and say half are boys that means 75 boys in 8th Grade, or 150 boys in 7th & 8th combined but now down to 15 on the team is not as good as I would have thought. That has to be one of the lower percentages in the area. That's surprising with their recent success on High School level. Hope they can pick it up.

Wildcat18 Wrote:That's what I was thinking as well. There's no way you should have those low numbers with that enrollment. That usually means it's time for your coach to be re-evaluated. Recruit your own schools folks.

Those numbers may be low, but they're not new. SV's junior high numbers have consistently been at about 20 players for the last few years. Technically, they didn't end up with just 15 players, the season finished with 19 players on the roster (1 did quit). It's just that 4 of them were in street clothes.

I don't think the low numbers are the fault of the coaches. I know they have asked some of the non-football athletes to come try it out, but nothing ever really came of it. Besides, I've never been a big believer in begging kids to come out to play. If they don't really want to be there, they're just going to take practice time away from the kids that do want to be there.

Would it be better to have 25-30 players? Sure, but only if they want to be there. Can't play football unless you truly have the desire for it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Those numbers may be low, but they're not new. SV's junior high numbers have consistently been at about 20 players for the last few years. Technically, they didn't end up with just 15 players, the season finished with 19 players on the roster (1 did quit). It's just that 4 of them were in street clothes.

I don't think the low numbers are the fault of the coaches. I know they have asked some of the non-football athletes to come try it out, but nothing ever really came of it. Besides, I've never been a big believer in begging kids to come out to play. If they don't really want to be there, they're just going to take practice time away from the kids that do want to be there.

Would it be better to have 25-30 players? Sure, but only if they want to be there. Can't play football unless you truly have the desire for it.

While I do agree with this statement, this is middle school. Most kids don't know what they will love the most in middle school. You don't truly know what your ticket will be until your junior or senior year. At this level, you have to instill the love in them. They won't just automatically have it for the most part. We have had many basketball-first kids come through here only to leave and go on to play collegiate football. We had 8th grade night last week where I heard approximately 10 players being their first year ever playing football, never played a down before this year. Out of that number, the hope is you have 2 or 3 that can contribute somewhat and end up loving it. My point is you shouldn't give up on those who don't have football running through their veins at 12 years old. Especially at a small school like Shelby Valley. Those are guys that will save your program.
Wildcat18 Wrote:While I do agree with this statement, this is middle school. Most kids don't know what they will love the most in middle school. You don't truly know what your ticket will be until your junior or senior year. At this level, you have to instill the love in them. They won't just automatically have it for the most part. We have had many basketball-first kids come through here only to leave and go on to play collegiate football. We had 8th grade night last week where I heard approximately 10 players being their first year ever playing football, never played a down before this year. Out of that number, the hope is you have 2 or 3 that can contribute somewhat and end up loving it. My point is you shouldn't give up on those who don't have football running through their veins at 12 years old. Especially at a small school like Shelby Valley. Those are guys that will save your program.

I'm not saying they don't get new kids. This year, out of those 20 we started with, 3 had never played before. They had been asked to come out for the team and try it to see if they liked it. One kid was a natural athlete, fell in love with the sport and became a starting tailback. Another enjoyed it, even though he only played sparingly as a backup lineman. The third is the one who eventually quit.

Thing is, adding those kids to the program only really offsets the ones who used to play but don't anymore. There are a couple 8th graders I know that had played in the past, but decided they didn't want to do it anymore. Trying to improve the numbers is like 2 steps forward, 2 steps back. Again, I don't blame the coaches. They can't make someone like football if they've decided they'd rather concentrate on basketball (or fishing).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Football isn't for everyone. Most kids either love it or hate it.
Anyone have the Whitley vs Knox score from region 4 (D1)? According to the schedule their game started at 7pm tonight.
The1&only Wrote:Anyone have the Whitley vs Knox score from region 4 (D1)? According to the schedule their game started at 7pm tonight.

Knox 56
Whitley 14