Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 football season
Who are some of the favorites in each division's this year?
We hear New Harlan is loaded in D3
D3 - Meece, CAL, New Harlan
D2 - Belfry, South Oldham, Corbin
D1 - Northern Pulaski, JC, Bowling Green
Can't wait until the season starts!! New harlan does have a lot coming back but meece, cal, adams and a few others in d3 are really strong it should be a great year in d3!! Unless things have changed I think new harlan and Corbin play this year it should be a good game both teams should be some of the best teams in d3 and d2.
Meece / Corbin should be good game!
Corbin has Northern Pulaski, Meece, New Harlan, Whitley, and Maryville TN on the schedule. All should be good games.
looks like Corbin really has a tough schedule this year should get them ready for a long playoff run. I'm a new harlan fan but I'll be pulling for Corbin this year in d2!!
Wonder if New Harlan will be in D2 this year where they were suppose to be last year???? They were over the D3 limit last year and the KYMSA admitted it when they were sent the actual numbers from each feeder school but said it was to late in the year to do anything about it because the playoffs were already started.
What about Hazard? Can Belfry be good enough to win D2? What about Somerset they beat Corbin last year in 7th GRADE. Didn't Northern beat Corbin in the last few seconds before going on and winning 7th GRADE state.
D1- Johnson Central, North Pulaski
D2- Belfry doesn't have the talent they have had the past couple years so I think division 2 will be very open
D3- New Harlan, Meece
goBIGblue82 Wrote:D3 - Meece, CAL, New Harlan
D2 - Belfry, South Oldham, Corbin
D1 - Northern Pulaski, JC, Bowling Green

I'm guessing some of these are the favorites but I can't get how some of these schools are in there class. Harlan County is a 5A school but is D3 in grade school.. I could see New Harlan in d2 or d1 but not d3... The same goes for a Letcher. The rest of those teams look right.
bac2369 Wrote:I'm guessing some of these are the favorites but I can't get how some of these schools are in there class. Harlan County is a 5A school but is D3 in grade school.. I could see New Harlan in d2 or d1 but not d3... The same goes for a Letcher. The rest of those teams look right.

I've wondered the same thing.
I'm sorry but are we continuing to beat the dead horse? Has t the topic of why is this cool in this division when their high school plays in this division topic been discussed in depth the past couple years and at the annual meeting?

If we went off the high school rank to determine the middle/grade school division them what would you do with a JCPS who can send there players to Trinity, Ballard, Eastern, St. X (all 6a) or Desales, atherton, waggenner, central (all not 6a)?

It's based off the enrollment numbers for the school (or feeder schools in some cases).

I'd post my schedule but don't have it completed just yet as I am awaiting JV games and two more varsity games.
Coach_Lockwood Wrote:I'm sorry but are we continuing to beat the dead horse? Has t the topic of why is this cool in this division when their high school plays in this division topic been discussed in depth the past couple years and at the annual meeting?

If we went off the high school rank to determine the middle/grade school division them what would you do with a JCPS who can send there players to Trinity, Ballard, Eastern, St. X (all 6a) or Desales, atherton, waggenner, central (all not 6a)?

It's based off the enrollment numbers for the school (or feeder schools in some cases).

I'd post my schedule but don't have it completed just yet as I am awaiting JV games and two more varsity games.

With all due respect, you don't want my opinion on JCPS and the high schools they "choose" up there. Totally different game than the rules to what everyone else in the state HAVE to abide by. That same opinion got me permanently banned (unfairly I might add) from a BGR competitor website.

Where I come from, your house is in a district with a middle school and a high school. You HAVE to go there. Not an alternate option unless you pack up and move across district lines with a different address.
I agree, that's how I grew up. But with a district as large as ours you have to get kids options or you run risk of being sued for not letting a kid in a certain school that's better.

I was just stating that you can't use the high school class rank for football and make it work with the middle school.
bac2369 Wrote:I'm guessing some of these are the favorites but I can't get how some of these schools are in there class. Harlan County is a 5A school but is D3 in grade school.. I could see New Harlan in d2 or d1 but not d3... The same goes for a Letcher. The rest of those teams look right.

Not sure about the enrollment numbers for New Harlan, but Harlan County High School has 3 middle school teams feeding into it (New Harlan, Evarts and Cumberland). I think Letcher has more than one team also, or at least it used to.
I think you are correct on the three middle schools for Harlan County High School. But my point was will New Harlan be allowed to play in D3 this year if their enrollment shows they should be in D2? It was clear last year they were over the limit on enrollment for D3!
I wished harlan county would make one middle school team!! If they did harlan county could play with any team in the state this year . Last year they also could have played with any team in the state and it would stop people ever year wondering why new harlan is in d3 not knowing we have 3 middle school teams in the county. New harlan plays where they are put if you have a problem with that take it up with the middle school committee don't complain ever year that new harlan is in d3 it's not there fault and I think it's crazy that the season hasn't even started yet and people are already bringing this up. Let's get half way though the season before you guys start crying over new harlan and belfry it's ever year the same 2 teams are talked about. Anyway I have heard that new harlan may not play in the playoffs this year don't know how true it is just something going around.
Coach_Lockwood Wrote:I'm sorry but are we continuing to beat the dead horse? Has t the topic of why is this cool in this division when their high school plays in this division topic been discussed in depth the past couple years and at the annual meeting?

All I am saying is that most d3 schools fill into either a 1A-2A range in high school. There's no excuse that a d3 should fill into a 5A program in high school. Especially when there is a 5A and a 1A city school in that county.
Footballcrazyman Wrote:I wished harlan county would make one middle school team!! If they did harlan county could play with any team in the state this year . Last year they also could have played with any team in the state and it would stop people ever year wondering why new harlan is in d3 not knowing we have 3 middle school teams in the county. New harlan plays where they are put if you have a problem with that take it up with the middle school committee don't complain ever year that new harlan is in d3 it's not there fault and I think it's crazy that the season hasn't even started yet and people are already bringing this up. Let's get half way though the season before you guys start crying over new harlan and belfry it's ever year the same 2 teams are talked about. Anyway I have heard that new harlan may not play in the playoffs this year don't know how true it is just something going around.

How many teams do they have,?
New Harlan doesn't play where there are put they play in the the division they apply for. Maybe they made a mistake on there enrollment numbers when they sent it to the committee last year. All i'm saying is that if the numbers say D2 that is where they should play. Last year it said D2 and they played in D3. The committee agreed when asked about it last year but said it was to late to correct it because the playoffs had already started.
bac2369 Wrote:All I am saying is that most d3 schools fill into either a 1A-2A range in high school. There's no excuse that a d3 should fill into a 5A program in high school. Especially when there is a 5A and a 1A city school in that county.

Evarts and Cumberland shouldn't fill into a 5A program? They were both Class A programs since the 1970s.
Like I said, I'm not sure about New Harlan's enrollment, but if you have several teams in one county then they could definitely "fill" into a 5A program.
Basically, New Harlan is the feeder schools for what used to be James A. Cawood High School. My guess is Cawood would be a 2A school if the school was still open, but it could be 3A.
bac2369 Wrote:How many teams do they have,?

I listed that earlier. There are 3 middle school programs going into Harlan County:

New Harlan
Cumberland
Evarts
To The ones that keep complaining about New Harlanwhy don't you go to whom ever is in charge and complain instead of getting on here and saying every year we are in the wrong division. Or better yet come to Harlan and talk to the superintendent so you will get the facts straight from the horses mouth. I am so sick of hearing it every year we play were they put us.
New Harlan is going be really good this year we see what happens when football season starts in august I help with new Harlan football and I'm looking forward to the season
HCS Wrote:I listed that earlier. There are 3 middle school programs going into Harlan County:

New Harlan
Cumberland
Evarts

How many schools fill new Harlan?

How many fill Cumberland?

How many fill evarts?
New Harlan has Rosspoint, Wallins, Green Hills, Cawood and JACES
Cumberland has Cumberland
Evarts has Evarts and Black Mountain
Didn't want this to turn into being just about New Harlan. I'm sure kymsfa will do what's right.
Allen Eagles in Allen, KY have a 7th/8th team after having no team since 2014. Should be an exciting year for the Eagles. New coaching staff, new equipment...they received all new uniforms and equipment from Coach DeRossett at PHS.
Where is Allen and what Div. Will they play in?