• 1(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 2016
Congrats to all 2015 Belfry Pirates on winning a third consecutive state championship. The Seniors will be remembered and dearly missed.

Projected Offense:

QB: #6(SR) Noah Corbett - 5'10" 176
#8(SO) Avery Browning - 5'10" 145
RB: #10(SR) Cameron Catron - 5'9" 173
#28(JR) Taveon Hunter - 5'9" 155
RB: #13(JR) Justin Adkins - 5'9" 170
?
FB: #1 (SR) Andrew Fletcher - 6'0" 195
#5 (JR) Derek Wellman - 6'1" 183
SE: #27(SR) Austin Woolum - 5'8" 145
?
T: #?
#?
G: #76(SR) Jordan Scott - 6'3" 305
#?
C: #56(SR) Brayden Preece - 5'9" 200
G: #66(SR) Kalob Whitt - 5'10" 313
#?
T: #61(SR) Austin Dotson - 6'6" 276
#?
TE: #44(SR) Cole Bentley - 6'5" 301
#42 (JR) Braxton Miller - 6'0" 196

Projected Defense:

DE: #40(SR) Austin Hall - 6'2" 197
# ?
DT: #23(SR) Rayquan Horton - 6'2" 290
#?
NG: #70(JR) Chase Runyon - 6'1" 265
#?
DT: #44(SR) Cole Bentley - 6'5" 301
#
DE: #20(SR) Chase Dove - 6'0" 170
#?
LB: #5(JR) Derek Wellman - 6'1" 183
#?
LB: #?
#?
CB: #15(JR) Devin Varney - 6'0" 160
CB: #27(SR) Austin Woolum - 5'8" 145
#?
S: #10(SR) Cameron Catron - 5'9" 173
S: #13(JR) Justin Adkins - 5'9" 170
#?

PK: #27(SR) Austin Woolum
P: #?

* Returning starters are bolded.
** I guessed on a couple on these, but mostly left "?" for other Pirate fans to add their input.
*** Chase Runyon and Chase Dove could both arguably be seen as defensive "Returning Starters" but I did not denote so. In Dove's case do to my "guess" at his position change.
Based on my projections, 4 kids will play both ways. I think RB could be a real interesting battle next summer though. Adkins was the kid who stepped in when Xondre Willis was out this past season. He and Hunter would seem to be the most obvious candidates to fill X's spot. To my eye, Wellman has the speed to play RB too. Who else will be in the mix?

The other two spots that stand out are DE and LB on defense. I moved Dove over to the open DE spot, but I have no idea if the staff will think that way. At LB, I seem to recall the Fields kid getting some snaps early last season. Perhaps he will fill that role.
Finally, I have no clue about this past season's FROSH (other than Browning) and how they looked this past year. I also can't opine on the incoming FROSH and whether any of them may immediately contribute on Friday nights.
Linebacker or end spot may be taken care of from a transfer. Kid should be enrolled at Belfry by February. His dad is already working here and the kid is a stud. 3 year starter at a usual Ky power and has played in 2 state championships.
Incoming freshmen may have some see the field but special team players mostly. They have punter that may step in to do the job. A man to stay back on kickoffs that hasn't allowed a run back the 2 years he has done the job. Several kick and punt returns that could get the job done. Linebacker and defensive end that will be quality back ups and if the 1st string slips up, able to take their spots. Several quality lineman that just needs to strengthen up but very capable of playing backup rolls. Key words with the backfield coming in speed and depth. Line coming has several players big enough to take some snaps on Friday.
4 straight middle school championships teams collide to make a monster team.
Devin Varney could see some playing time at RB, didn't he play RB some last year?
PaytoPlay Wrote:Congrats to all 2015 Belfry Pirates on winning a third consecutive state championship. The Seniors will be remembered and dearly missed.

Projected Offense:

QB: #6(SR) Noah Corbett - 5'10" 176
RB: #10(SR) Cameron Catron - 5'9" 173
RB: #13(JR) Justin Adkins - 5'9" 170
?
FB: #1 (SR) Andrew Fletcher - 6'0" 195
#5 (JR) Derek Wellman - 6'1" 183
SE: #27(SR) Austin Woolum - 5'8" 145
?
T: #?
#?
G: #76(SR) Jordan Scott - 6'3" 305
#?
C: #56(SR) Brayden Preece - 5'9" 200
G: #66(SR) Kalob Whitt - 5'10" 313
#?
T: #61(SR) Austin Dotson - 6'6" 276
#?
TE: #44(SR) Cole Bentley - 6'5" 301
#42 (JR) Braxton Miller - 6'0" 196

Projected Defense:

DE: #40(SR) Austin Hall - 6'2" 197
# ?
DT: #23(SR) Rayquan Horton - 6'2" 290
#?
NG: #70(JR) Chase Runyon - 6'1" 265
#?
DT: #44(SR) Cole Bentley - 6'5" 301
#
DE: #20(SR) Chase Dove - 6'0" 170
#?
LB: #5(JR) Derek Wellman - 6'1" 183
#?
LB: #?
#?
CB: #15(JR) Devin Varney - 6'0" 160
CB: #27(SR) Austin Woolum - 5'8" 145
#?
S: #10(SR) Cameron Catron - 5'9" 173
S: #13(JR) Justin Adkins - 5'9" 170
#?

PK: #27(SR) Austin Woolum
P: #?

* Returning starters are bolded.
** I guessed on a couple on these, but mostly left "?" for other Pirate fans to add their input.
*** Chase Runyon and Chase Dove could both arguably be seen as defensive "Returning Starters" but I did not denote so. In Dove's case do to my "guess" at his position change.

How old are these kids?
^ What? I put their class next to there name. Either you overlooked that or you are being a douche.
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ What? I put their class next to there name. Either you overlooked that or you are being a douche.

I am being both Sir, just seems like they have been playing for the program for quit some time now and I don't think I stuttered when I ask what is their age.
None of them will be 19 on August 1st, I can tell you that.
But yes, that crop has definitely made their impact since day 1. Most of those listed will be 3-4 year starters when they walk the stage for graduation.
22. Does that make you feel less pathetic?
Belfry0304 Wrote:None of them will be 19 on August 1st, I can tell you that.
But yes, that crop has definitely made their impact since day 1. Most of those listed will be 3-4 year starters when they walk the stage for graduation.

Thank you Sir, that's all I ask and needed to know.
The backfield will be the most interesting this summer. You have Adkins and Hunter battling it out for the other HB position. Wellman has the speed to run HB too.

With the line that we will have next year I would like to see Haywood go back to more of a power running game. Use Wellman at the HB position and when he wants to run the spread bring in Adkins or Hunter. Both, Hunter and Adkins need to put on some size in the offseason.
I'm sure you won't be thrilled to hear this but Noah, Austin Dotson, Brayden Preece, and maybe Ray Horton are all 16, if I'm not mistaken.
FBfan4life Wrote:Thank you Sir, that's all I ask and needed to know.

Horton, Bentley, Catron, Hall, and Woolum all were key parts of Belfry's State Title when they were Freshman. Next season will be essentially their 4th year as starters.

Dotson, Scott, and Varney (who started last year as a FR) will be entering their 3rd year as Starters.

Corbett will be a 2.5 year starter next year. As a SOPH he had taken over as the starting QB but missed the playoffs with an injury.

These guys seem old because they have been having their names called for a long time LOL
The battle for the open RB spot should be really fun to watch shake out. Adkins and Hunter will probably get the first look. That said, D. Varney looks to be one of the best athletes on the team and was a great back in middle school. Wellman looks like he could transition from FB to RB, especially with a dedicated offseason (think Dustin May).
I see names being throw around in the backfield but it is also important to remember that Haywood will try to avoid having his backs playing both ways.

Catron already is being asked to do so... to ask Varney, Adkins, or Wellman to do the same is a dangerous proposition.

Hunter makes the most sense because of this reason. That or a rotation of backs at the other spot. I also think Haywood kind of like this rotation of Fletcher and Wellman at FB. Keeps both fresh. and gives two completely different styles of backs .

I also would not count out the Hensley kid getting some snaps that will be a Freshman.
Hope Woolum is okay after hit!!!
Granny Bear Wrote:Hope Woolum is okay after hit!!!

Think he and Ogbogu both were fine

Even textbook tackles can hurt you apparently HAHA
These boy are 17-18 years old. Playing both ways should not bother them.

You could still rotate Wellman and Fletcher at the FB position. You could rotate Wellman, Fletcher, Adkins, and Hunter depending on the type of offense you want on the field. Hensley does have a shot to see playing time if he works hard in the offseason to put on some much needed weight.

Cook is another freshman that could see playing time on the Defensive side of the ball. Haywood likes big long DEs and he would be perfect.

You put your best athletes on the field to win ball games.
proud44pirate Wrote:Linebacker or end spot may be taken care of from a transfer. Kid should be enrolled at Belfry by February. His dad is already working here and the kid is a stud. 3 year starter at a usual Ky power and has played in 2 state championships.

I guess it's just a coincidence that whenever a need opens someone just happens to "transfer" in. How lucky is that.
mightydog Wrote:I guess it's just a coincidence that whenever a need opens someone just happens to "transfer" in. How lucky is that.

No. It just falls that way because why transfer when the spot is taken. You big dummy. Then the kid won't get to play. Geeze. Use your head man
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Think he and Ogbogu both were fine

Even textbook tackles can hurt you apparently HAHA

I'm really glad to hear it because neither of them moved for a while after THAT collision!!!

And you are correct about a textbook tackle. I was looking directly at them when he hit that kid, and there was nothing dirty or excessive about it.
Pirate1991#8 Wrote:No. It just falls that way because why transfer when the spot is taken. You big dummy. Then the kid won't get to play. Geeze. Use your head man

Haha. Say all you want. Facts are facts. Several are talking about who will take X's spot in the backfield. Several names were brought up. Somehow I think there will be a stud runner that's not there now that will be starting. We will see.
mightydog Wrote:I guess it's just a coincidence that whenever a need opens someone just happens to "transfer" in. How lucky is that.

especially when the area is losing jobs TongueirateSho
mightydog Wrote:Haha. Say all you want. Facts are facts. Several are talking about who will take X's spot in the backfield. Several names were brought up. Somehow I think there will be a stud runner that's not there now that will be starting. We will see.

pjdoug Wrote:especially when the area is losing jobs TongueirateSho

Jealousy is an ugly thing fellas.

Stud players don't just transfer in and start right away. Noah Corbett is the closest kid this "theory" applies to and he was not the starting QB in the win over Central nor at the start of the year in his first season at Belfry. Keaton Taylor was who had been at Belfry since day 1. D. Joplin thought the same way you guys do and figured he would bring his skills to Belfry and jump right into a backfield that had questions last season only to transfer out once it was realized that he wasn't going to jump right into a spot as the primary back. It is very rare that a player comes in to Belfry after starting High School and makes a huge impact. David Jones and Corbett are the only two I can remember that did not go 9-12 at Belfry.

That being said as long as Belfry is winning they will benefit from LEGAL transfers. If your the parent of a kid who you want the best chance of success for than you make the moves you have to for that kid. This happens in all sports at most schools. I had a friend in 9th grade who left Belfry because Tug Valley was a better fit for his basketball aspirations. You may not like it but parents put their kids in the best place to succeed and be noticed and for the past 15 years or so that has been Belfry in that area.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:Jealousy is an ugly thing fellas.

Stud players don't just transfer in and start right away. Noah Corbett is the closest kid this "theory" applies to and he was not the starting QB in the win over Central nor at the start of the year in his first season at Belfry. Keaton Taylor was who had been at Belfry since day 1. D. Joplin thought the same way you guys do and figured he would bring his skills to Belfry and jump right into a backfield that had questions last season only to transfer out once it was realized that he wasn't going to jump right into a spot as the primary back. It is very rare that a player comes in to Belfry after starting High School and makes a huge impact. David Jones and Corbett are the only two I can remember that did not go 9-12 at Belfry.

That being said as long as Belfry is winning they will benefit from LEGAL transfers. If your the parent of a kid who you want the best chance of success for than you make the moves you have to for that kid. This happens in all sports at most schools. I had a friend in 9th grade who left Belfry because Tug Valley was a better fit for his basketball aspirations. You may not like it but parents put their kids in the best place to succeed and be noticed and for the past 15 years or so that has been Belfry in that area.

places like Belfry and Log Mountain just don't seem like places a person would want to move to get a job ,especially when people have to leave the area to find work.
pjdoug Wrote:places like Belfry and Log Mountain just don't seem like places a person would want to move to get a job ,especially when people have to leave the area to find work.

US 119 makes jobs in Pikeville, Prestonsburg, Williamson, Red Jacket, Delbarton and everywhere in between accessible. Moving into the school district does not force people to work within the limits of the Belfry school district.

Yes mining jobs in the area have been hit hard but even when they were plentiful people in the Belfry area were still travelling to work outside of the Belfry area. Before I left the area due to a lack of jobs in my field (computer programming) I had to travel 45 minutes to Ivel every day and before that 35 minutes to Coal Run. Here in Atlanta its not unheard of for someone to have a 2 hour commute one way each day to work. You don't have to work where you live.
Yeah you're right kids just conveniently move 4 hours north to play football for a year. Lol.
  • 1(current)
  • Next