• 18(current)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 2016
Rockcastle proved tonight they can play
Did good on stopping the run of belfry
diceman Wrote:Rockcastle proved tonight they can play

Probably a little easier to do without Belfry's 6'6 320 pound SEC commit offensive tackle Smile

It's time to crown Rockcastle the CHAMPS!!! :please:
They proved that you can put 10 people on the line and you can't block them all that didn't help them or us they couldn't score and we didn't have arguably the best inside linebacker in the state playing our Starting CB out and a four year stating defensive End out our 6"7 offensive tackle was out but we didn't get to work on much
Real Badman Wrote:How did Belfry and George Whyth look?

Didn't make it there this year - here's the VA forum thread -

https://virginiapreps.forums.rivals.com/...ree.43517/
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:Well I guess we got to work on our passing game Rockcastle put 10 guys in the box
that's about the way it went I'm not sure how many times we scored but Rockcastle
didn't score on us I wished they would have played there regular defense so we could
have worked on some other stuff but Coach didn't play Wellman,Woolum,Dotson,and Hall
They will all play next week but we did get to hit against someone besides ourselves.
Rockcastle had a interception return for Td on Belfrys first drive. Belfry scored three times,one was on a nice run.two were blown coverage pass plays. That's something that Rockcastle needs to work on, but can easily be fixed.
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:They proved that you can put 10 people on the line and you can't block them all that didn't help them or us they couldn't score and we didn't have arguably the best inside linebacker in the state playing our Starting CB out and a four year stating defensive End out our 6"7 offensive tackle was out but we didn't get to work on much
Rock is ground and pound team, (4 yards and a cloud of dust) every drive they made down onto Belfrys side of the field, but with playing just 10 plays then switching sides it's hard to travel 80 yards unless you break off a 30+ yard run. Rockcastle was in the same boat they didn't dress Austin saylor and Jared Robinson only played a few snaps. Those two are a big part of rocks D line. Even without those guys on both teams Rockcastle line surprisingly was more physical then belfry. Dont get me wrong I like Belfry hope they win another 3a title again this year. Wish the Pirates the best of luck this season
I don't see any problem with Rock stacking the LOS to try to stop the run. It is a strategy Belfry has seen often in the past and will see this season. They need to be ready to counter it.

Prestonsburg used to do that back when we were in that stretch of great games. More often than not, it worked well. But, they gave enough enough big plays to lose the games.

It is a shame that Belfry hasn't been healthier moving into their first regular season game. Sounds like they will not be as fast out of the gate this season as the past couple years. I'm sure Haywood doesn't care too much about that as long as the kids are working on getting "a little better each day."
Big Don Wrote:It's time to crown Rockcastle the CHAMPS!!! :please:

Booo Hooo
I guess it hurts an ego like yours when you get shown up and are able to use excuses like how many didnt play

I dont see anyone from rockcastle making excuses like you all

again you have a good team but your not the best in the state
PaytoPlay Wrote:I don't see any problem with Rock stacking the LOS to try to stop the run. It is a strategy Belfry has seen often in the past and will see this season. They need to be ready to counter it.

Prestonsburg used to do that back when we were in that stretch of great games. More often than not, it worked well. But, they gave enough enough big plays to lose the games.

It is a shame that Belfry hasn't been healthier moving into their first regular season game. Sounds like they will not be as fast out of the gate this season as the past couple years. I'm sure Haywood doesn't care too much about that as long as the kids are working on getting "a little better each day."
All should be ready to go Friday night barring anything new this week. It is a matter of being extra cautious as opposed to seriousness of injury. If last night was the PCB, all would have played.
I don't think you all understand how good the guys are who didn't play. You guys have a nice team though.
Not to dispute RockSolid as several of his points are valid such as I thought Rock was very physical as well and they definitely played with more fire than Belfry. I thought they had some nice pass plays and scrambles as well. However his points total, IMO, is way off. If you can project to a game situation, it is really hard to tell how many TDs would have been scored. I'll give Rock one for sure on the pick that was on Belfry's tenth play and they let Corbett get hit and he threw a wounded duck. The only other deep drive they had resulted in a Belfry pick by Adkins in the end zone. As Rock said they moved the ball pretty good for the most part, but Belfry's D really began shutting them down. Belfry on the other hand struggled the first series and it ended with a big play on s pass to Catron who got tackled about the two. Belfry then began repeatedly throwing over the top for several long completions to Varney and Jesse and some others that in a real game situation would have set Belfry up deep. Adkins later scored on a long run and Corbett broke a long one as well that went deep. So IMHO, game situation probably 35 or 42 -14 Belfry with a lot of variables.
diceman Wrote:Booo Hooo
I guess it hurts an ego like yours when you get shown up and are able to use excuses like how many didnt play

I dont see anyone from rockcastle making excuses like you all

again you have a good team but your not the best in the state

LOL Shown up?

Belfry essentially outscored Rock 4-1 over 30 plays (maybe worse)
EKUAlum05 Wrote:LOL Shown up?

Belfry outscored Rock 4-1 over 30 plays (maybe worse)

I didnt think score was kept and whistle was blown

anyway there is no denying Belfry is the better team but when a rockcastle supporter gets on here and supports their team and gets bashed for it then..

we did play good
diceman Wrote:I didnt think score was kept and whistle was blown

anyway there is no denying Belfry is the better team but when a rockcastle supporter gets on here and supports their team and gets bashed for it then..

we did play good

You certainly did equate yourselves well and have a lot of positives to take and should be right with Wayne, Knox Central, and Mason County to compete for that region.
diceman Wrote:I didnt think score was kept and whistle was blown

we did play good

For the record and for anyone interested here were the big plays recapped to me from last night..the scrimmage format was weird and most long plays they blew it dead, whether a TD or not,, and walked the ball back to the LOS.

For example, if a player made a deep catch for 50 yards inside the 20..they wouldn't all go to where he was tackled and scrimmage from the spot, the play would come back to the LOS

ROCK:
INT Return for TD

BELFRY:
Interception by Adkins (Ended Rock's first series of 10, would not have been TD)
Long pass to Catron (Down at 2 on 10th play)
Long run Varney (would be 80 yard TD, brought back to LOS)
Long run Corbett (Over 25+ yards, not a TD, but brought back to LOS)
Long pass to Jessie (Would have been inside red zone, brought back to LOS)
Long run Adkins (Whistled dead, would have either been TD or inside red zone, brought back to LOS)
TD Run Adkins (About 20 yards out)

The consensus I got from everyone I talked who attended... probably would be a 35-7, 35-14, or 42-14 type of game in real action over 4 Quarters with the same players who played last night. Rock battled well in the box.

First Belfry Series:
Pick 6 to Rock
Rock played well and stacked the box HEAVY and slowed Belfry down, Belfry ended it with a long pass to Catron just shy of goalline

First Rock Series:
Moved the ball well with most success on scrambles and passes, got to around the 20 of Belfry and on their 10th play was intercepted by Belfry

Second Belfry Series:
Belfry hit some big plays with Rock's 0-Safety Defense. Varney long run, long pass to Jessie, Corbett big run

Second Rock Series:
Ray Horton put on a show and Rock struggled to move the ball.

Third Belfry Series:
Adkins long run, Belfry drives and then caps off with Adkins from 20

Third Rock Series:
Both teams sub liberally and have a mix of starters and 2's, Rock really struggled to move the ball with their subs in the game throwing off timing

JV from there on out
EKUAlum05 Wrote:For the record and for anyone interested here were the big plays recapped to me from last night..the scrimmage format was weird and most long plays they blew it dead, whether a TD or not,, and walked the ball back to the LOS.

For example, if a player made a deep catch for 50 yards inside the 20..they wouldn't all go to where he was tackled and scrimmage from the spot, the play would come back to the LOS

ROCK:
INT Return for TD

BELFRY:
Interception by Adkins (Ended Rock's first series of 10, would not have been TD)
Long pass to Catron (Down at 2 on 10th play)
Long run Varney (would be 80 yard TD, brought back to LOS)
Long run Corbett (Over 25+ yards, not a TD, but brought back to LOS)
Long pass to Jessie (Would have been inside red zone, brought back to LOS)
Long run Adkins (Whistled dead, would have either been TD or inside red zone, brought back to LOS)
TD Run Adkins (About 20 yards out)

The consensus I got from everyone I talked who attended... probably would be a 35-7, 35-14, or 42-14 type of game in real action over 4 Quarters with the same players who played last night. Rock battled well in the box.

First Belfry Series:
Pick 6 to Rock
Rock played well and stacked the box HEAVY and slowed Belfry down, Belfry ended it with a long pass to Catron just shy of goalline

First Rock Series:
Moved the ball well with most success on scrambles and passes, got to around the 20 of Belfry and on their 10th play was intercepted by Belfry

Second Belfry Series:
Belfry hit some big plays with Rock's 0-Safety Defense. Varney long run, long pass to Jessie, Corbett big run

Second Rock Series:
Ray Horton put on a show and Rock struggled to move the ball.

Third Belfry Series:
Adkins long run, Belfry drives and then caps off with Adkins from 20

Third Rock Series:
Both teams sub liberally and have a mix of starters and 2's, Rock really struggled to move the ball with their subs in the game throwing off timing

JV from there on out

If we can stay that close to belfry then we will win the region over mercer co
diceman Wrote:If we can stay that close to belfry then we will win the region over mercer co

I think Wayne is still the team to beat in the Region... but it wouldnt surprise me to see any of those 4 come out of it.

The biggest critique of Rock I heard last night is just not a ton of top end speed or athletes. Very good in the box, very physical, good tacklers, and the ability to grind yardage to keep sticks moving. Just no0t a lot of guys that could rip off an instant change type of play where they go 25+ yards. Then again,, Belfry is FAST and will probably be the fastest Defense they will see and thats even without Hall, Woolum, and Wellman out there. Knox, nor Wayne, are exactly littered with very good speed. Mercer has some speed but Rock's size should help them in that matchup.

Probably a 8-15 ranked team in 4A and if they can improve on offense and find ways to manufacture big plays I definitely think they have a shot at competing for a Regional Title.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I think Wayne is still the team to beat in the Region... but it wouldnt surprise me to see any of those 4 come out of it.

The biggest critique of Rock I heard last night is just not a ton of top end speed or athletes. Very good in the box, very physical, good tacklers, and the ability to grind yardage to keep sticks moving. Just no0t a lot of guys that could rip off an instant change type of play where they go 25+ yards. Then again,, Belfry is FAST and will probably be the fastest Defense they will see and thats even without Hall, Woolum, and Wellman out there. Knox, nor Wayne, are exactly littered with very good speed. Mercer has some speed but Rock's size should help them in that matchup.

Probably a 8-15 ranked team in 4A and if they can improve on offense and find ways to manufacture big plays I definitely think they have a shot at competing for a Regional Title.

thats a good opinion

we only play a few good teams
knox
wayne
pulaski

all the others are medicore

i think we win 8 games
but we do have wayne and knox at home and should win those
I hope Rockcastle has a great season injury free but I still think that a scrimmage game is for your basic stuff to brush up on but that's just me good luck this year guys
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I think Wayne is still the team to beat in the Region... but it wouldnt surprise me to see any of those 4 come out of it.

I think it is fair to say that both teams were without important pieces in the scrimmage (to be fair, Belfry's missing players are much better) and for sure Rock only used 10 offensive plays. To be fair, I don't think Belfry opened the playbook either. However, as previously mentioned, it is quite difficult to sustain a long drive with 10 offensive plays, lol.

I don't think Rock is as bad as some people on here are trying to play them as much as Belfry is REALLY GOOD! It is easy to tamper expectations for one's own team but Belfry should stroll to the 3A title this season.
:biglmao::biglmao:

I am sorry, but someone is dreaming that they beat Belfry. LOL They come out yelling on the sideline like it was a "real" game. We really got a laugh out of it. I'll give you a descent run in the beginning, but that was it. We demolished you all. Your fans even left after about an hour. Oh well, I guess everyone wants to beat the best...but not you guys!:hilarious:
http://usatodayhss.com/2016/trinity-tops...s-6-a-poll

AP Poll this week.

Polls are fun, and I'm guessing writers give props to some teams early because, well, it's early. I'm not saying Belfry should have all 16 first place votes, but for a writer to vote Lexington Catholic ahead of Belfry, despite a beat-down-first-half-running-clock-state championship shut out loss to them, and Belfry returning nearly all players is down right asinine. I can understand votes for Corbin, for example. They return so much also and look to be quality contenders. But no. It is a new season. Maybe LC is the better team. Maybe last year they just flopped. Only time will tell. Plus with the inner turmoil at LC I can't imagine they can hold together as a team.
Either this vote was given by someone that does not follow football closely, or just wanted to give a shout out to their team. Either way, the voter looks foolish today. Maybe not by the end of the year, but definitely today.
  •  Previous
  • 18(current)