Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Laurel 31 South Laurel 0
North had the ball for long periods of time, they sure ran out a lot of clock tonight. South Laurel just could not get anything going offensively. SL only had around 3 1st downs against the varsity tonight. North has some tweaking to do but, there were visions of grandeur at times! Kids got bigger and stronger from last season, NL is going to be fun to watch IMO! :Clap::Clap::Clap:
PS. North's line shocked everyone tonight sitting around us!!
Tight End Wrote:North had the ball for long periods of time, they sure ran out a lot of clock tonight. South Laurel just could not get anything going offensively. SL only had around 3 1st downs against the varsity tonight. North has some tweaking to do but, there were visions of grandeur at times! Kids got bigger and stronger from last season, NL is going to be fun to watch IMO! :Clap::Clap::Clap:

Not sure what game you watched, but both teams struggled tonight, and fun to watch didn't come to mind. I don't know how many 1st downs South had, but I left with 5-6 minutes left, and Larkey still had his starters in. I know Larkey wants to run the score up on South any chance he gets, but I thought it was pretty stupid on his part to have starters in that late. They have a lot to clean up before playing a pretty good Wayne County team next week.
Yep it was definitely clear larkey wanted to run up the score evident by the starters being in so late and the onside kick before the last touchdown they had
Congrats jags
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Living The Dream!!
callmecrazy33 Wrote:Not sure what game you watched, but both teams struggled tonight, and fun to watch didn't come to mind. I don't know how many 1st downs South had, but I left with 5-6 minutes left, and Larkey still had his starters in. I know Larkey wants to run the score up on South any chance he gets, but I thought it was pretty stupid on his part to have starters in that late. They have a lot to clean up before playing a pretty good Wayne County team next week.

With a 31-0 score, one team didn't struggle too bad last night!
Brandon40403 Wrote:Yep it was definitely clear larkey wanted to run up the score evident by the starters being in so late and the onside kick before the last touchdown they had

31-0 is not exactly going for the jugular.
Bear_Paw Wrote:31-0 is not exactly going for the jugular.

Amen. And it was only 24-0 when they executed the onside kick. So come on. 24 points is still a three-score game. Unlikely the other team is coming back, but sure not enough of a lead to let off the gas. And you are gonna leave your starters in a little longer early in the season anyway, new varsity players need the reps.
Overall, it wasn't a bad opener for North, they obviously are not as far along as a year ago at this time, but with so many new faces they do have the potential to get a lot better as the season goes on. One thing they don't seem to have this year is a consistent threat as a placekicker, something they have really been blessed with for the the past 5-6 years. But the big surprise for me was how inept South was offensively, I thought they would show some decent improvement over a year ago. Didn't see it last night.
South has been inept offensively early in the year for the last 5 years. Coaches don't get them ready to go.Congrats Jags.
The jags struggled on offense overall playing a weak south team, however they're defense played better than expected. Still a lot of work to do to prepare for next week.
North had a couple of good looking drives. First drive in 3rd Qt I thought was the best of the night, eat up lots of clocked and moved the ball. Defense looked good most of the night. Way to many penalties, got to clean that up. Lots of talk about the this Jr class starting back in the middle school days. Looks like lots of work to do, it was the first game though and a W is a good way to start off the season!
TouchdownJaguars Wrote:North had a couple of good looking drives. First drive in 3rd Qt I thought was the best of the night, eat up lots of clocked and moved the ball. Defense looked good most of the night. Way to many penalties, got to clean that up. Lots of talk about the this Jr class starting back in the middle school days. Looks like lots of work to do, it was the first game though and a W is a good way to start off the season!

Accurate description of what I saw.

It's the other teams responsibility to stop your offense don't get me wrong and north couldn't do that. The onside kick was unnecessary imo it didn't work but still.
*South

Van Hagar Wrote:Amen. And it was only 24-0 when they executed the onside kick. So come on. 24 points is still a three-score game. Unlikely the other team is coming back, but sure not enough of a lead to let off the gas. And you are gonna leave your starters in a little longer early in the season anyway, new varsity players need the reps.
Overall, it wasn't a bad opener for North, they obviously are not as far along as a year ago at this time, but with so many new faces they do have the potential to get a lot better as the season goes on. One thing they don't seem to have this year is a consistent threat as a placekicker, something they have really been blessed with for the the past 5-6 years. But the big surprise for me was how inept South was offensively, I thought they would show some decent improvement over a year ago. Didn't see it last night.

So if Rodriguez was running the ball with 5mins left in a game that's clearly in hand and the kid gets injured and misses 3 games or so or suffers a season ending injury it's ok because he needed the reps? He has already taken a beating for almost 4 quarters and leaving him in that late isn't smart coaching IMO.
Van Hagar Wrote:Amen. And it was only 24-0 when they executed the onside kick. So come on. 24 points is still a three-score game. Unlikely the other team is coming back, but sure not enough of a lead to let off the gas. And you are gonna leave your starters in a little longer early in the season anyway, new varsity players need the reps.

North tried an onside kick after scoring the TD to go up 31-0. This North team has a ways to go to be as good as last years team. I thought the RB, Rodriguez would be more of a breakaway type runner but he goes down fairly easily on contact. He still had a very solid game but clearly not from the same mold as Nelson. North vs Wayne Co. could be a very good game next week.
Good win for North

I wonder if this score is indicative of North continuing what they started last year or if South is still down? Only time will tell...
Brandon40403 Wrote:It's the other teams responsibility to stop your offense don't get me wrong and north couldn't do that. The onside kick was unnecessary imo it didn't work but still.

I watched the game on wymt and saw a lot of what a lot of teams do.

South kicked it deep and north ran it back for a TD to start the game.

North kicked it to the side each time I'm guessing to keep it out of the faster guys hands and not take a chance on south running it back for a TD and try to keep the runner contained or make them fall on it so they don't get a return.

If you can't kick it in the endzone then why kick it to a guy who might run it back for a TD.

Good coaching move IMO
And it wasn't onside kicks, the ball was kicked downfield but to the side.
diceman Wrote:I watched the game on wymt and saw a lot of what a lot of teams do.

South kicked it deep and north ran it back for a TD to start the game.

North kicked it to the side each time I'm guessing to keep it out of the faster guys hands and not take a chance on south running it back for a TD and try to keep the runner contained or make them fall on it so they don't get a return.

If you can't kick it in the endzone then why kick it to a guy who might run it back for a TD.

Good coaching move IMO
And it wasn't onside kicks, the ball was kicked downfield but to the side.
No they weren't onside kicks but the one after the touchdown that made it 31-0 was. Saw it live happened right in front of me. The others were squib kicks this one was an onside kick. The ball didn't even go the required 10 yards before south recovered.
KarnivalKat Wrote:Good win for North

I wonder if this score is indicative of North continuing what they started last year or if South is still down? Only time will tell...

I'm pretty sure that Wayne County will answer that question for you. South has really good skill players and their defense is much better, but if you can't throw down the field you are very easy to defend. North is nowhere near as good as last year, but their soft schedule will actually benefit them this year.
Brandon40403 Wrote:No they weren't onside kicks but the one after the touchdown that made it 31-0 was. Saw it live happened right in front of me. The others were squib kicks this one was an onside kick. The ball didn't even go the required 10 yards before south recovered.

Well what I saw on tv wasn't an onside kick at the end and it went more than 10 yards
But if it didn't I doubt They was trying to onside it so blame the kicker for not kicking it the right way
But anyway whatever they did worked because south never had a kick return
Congrats North Laurel look for another many more wins this year. Confusederiously:
callmecrazy33 Wrote:Not sure what game you watched, but both teams struggled tonight, and fun to watch didn't come to mind. I don't know how many 1st downs South had, but I left with 5-6 minutes left, and Larkey still had his starters in. I know Larkey wants to run the score up on South any chance he gets, but I thought it was pretty stupid on his part to have starters in that late. They have a lot to clean up before playing a pretty good Wayne County team next week.

So North to cleans alot up on the field but they should do that by taking their starters out up only 4 touchdowns? Makes no sense...
North was always in control of this game and it is obvious you are wearing Cardinal glasses or you would know that North lost 9 starters on offense and defense and is starting a whole new offense line and backfield except for Cole at quarterback and North still scored 31 points. North also has a whole new defense line and linebackers and they shutout the Cardinals and were maybe threatened one time with a scoring drive so that must mean South is in for real long year again.
This was the first varsity experience that over 10 players had ever gotten much less started a varsity game. I think playing a full game against some one besides themselves in practive is just smart coaching.
Brandon40403 Wrote:Yep it was definitely clear larkey wanted to run up the score evident by the starters being in so late and the onside kick before the last touchdown they had

I was wondering the same thing about the kick and asked my own blood #24 who is on the kickoff squad. Pretty much told me about as i expected, special teams coach told kicker to sqiib it down the side that is not what happened and then he told me the kicker is brand new and well that was obvious by the fact he missed every extra point he attempted. It was not a onside kick call go ask him for yourself next week at the bowl game, I am sure you will be there watching South roll to a big win. #24

I also noticed along with everyone else that the entire defense was younger guys the last 7-8 minutes of the 4th quarter. North has 6 seniors on the team, would you like North to play their frshmen against South varisty? I sure they could hold their own after all I think they have 41 this year :Thumbs: That might actually be a good game
Its good to see a better defensive effort from the South. The next set off Red Birds can play a little defense too....
Look I'm impartial either way. I like south but I don't like north any less. It was my observation of the game. If it wasn't a called onside kick then so be it but it turned out to be anyways. ��
That was the 1st game of the season for both teams, they will figure out a lot of stuff as it goes along & not be these same teams the end of the season!
Tight End Wrote:That was the 1st game of the season for both teams, they will figure out a lot of stuff as it goes along & not be these same teams the end of the season!

I agree Larkey's team will improve. I don't see Burdime's bunch finishing better than 1-9.
2ndandshort Wrote:I agree Larkey's team will improve. I don't see Burdime's bunch finishing better than 1-9.

Completely disagree
Middlesboro
Harrison County
Clay County
Leslie County or Lincoln County (I think they win one of two and possible both)

Most likely 3 wins but would not be shocked at 5.