Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 KYMSFA State Championship Brackets Released
UPSCat4080 Wrote:First: Evarts draws from two schools that are near the middle enrollment wise in the county, so you were told wrong.

Second: Same conversation every year, but New Harlan draws from 5 elementary schools that include 1 school with a total 7/8th enrollment of about 15 boys. The regions are based on numbers and New Harlan's numbers categorize them as Division 3.

Get over it and quit crying.

http://education.ky.gov/comm/pages/harlan-county.aspx

I went ahead and looked it up. Evarts and BMES are the second and third largest elementary schools in Harlan. Cumberland is the largest. That would qualify as near the top. The five schools who combine to make up Harlan Patriots have a total enrollment of 1578. On the other hand the entire enrollment of Hazard's elementary school and junior high school is 638. 940 kids difference. I understand there are male enrollment numbers and all that, but I am also a reasonable human being and can gather that there would likely be a huge difference in student population to draw from between the two teams.
i think Scott county has around 700 kids and they are division 2. I know there are schools in division 1 with much lower numbers.
Hey look it's the yearly debate about New Harlan being in the correct division....��
Coach_Lockwood Wrote:Hey look it's the yearly debate about New Harlan being in the correct division....��

I'm not trying to debate it. I am just curious how they come up with the division?
It is hard to understand and hopefully it will be addressed before next year. It's not fair to the Div. 3 teams that have only enough players in the 7th and 8th grades to field 1 team. Also CAL has players that live and go to school in Indiana,that also don't need to happen and needs to be looked at.
The 5 schools that make up new harlan are all k-8th. They are not just middle schools 7th-8th. One of the schools have around 15 male boys total in the 7th and 8th grade. They put new harlan where they should be at. if the numbers said anything different then they would move them up they are neutral in the division and seeding process. they have no favorite team they just go by the numbers.
Footballcrazyman Wrote:The 5 schools that make up new harlan are all k-8th. They are not just middle schools 7th-8th. One of the schools have around 15 male boys total in the 7th and 8th grade. They put new harlan where they should be at. if the numbers said anything different then they would move them up they are neutral in the division and seeding process. they have no favorite team they just go by the numbers.

I never claimed that. The numbers I put on there for Hazard was K-8 too. The only conclusion I came to was that if their total numbers, K-8, are more than double Hazard, would it not make sense that their male enrollment would also double Hazard?
It doesn't matter if it triples hazard male enrollment for 7th and 8th grade. Just say I don't know but hazard has 50 male students 7th-8th and another d3 team has 150 male students 7th-8th grade that team still will be in d3 even if it triples another teams enrollment.
They need to make a D 4 division and call it the cry baby division Cause it's the same thing every year. We don't make the rules. We play where they put us. You don't wanna play us go home.
bandit57 Wrote:It is hard to understand and hopefully it will be addressed before next year. It's not fair to the Div. 3 teams that have only enough players in the 7th and 8th grades to field 1 team. Also CAL has players that live and go to school in Indiana,that also don't need to happen and needs to be looked at.

KHSAA allows it.
Patriots#1 Wrote:They need to make a D 4 division and call it the cry baby division Cause it's the same thing every year. We don't make the rules. We play where they put us. You don't wanna play us go home.

Proposal was put before the board to add a 4th division this past off season.
Patriots#1 Wrote:They need to make a D 4 division and call it the cry baby division Cause it's the same thing every year. We don't make the rules. We play where they put us. You don't wanna play us go home.

Or we could just give everyone trophies...:1::1::1::1:
goBIGblue82 Wrote:Or we could just give everyone trophies...:1::1::1::1:

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are!!!:notworthy
We could just switch to touch football if that would suit everyone...
4 divisions sounds good but some teams out west would advance to final four by default.

Division 1 is currently the most unfair out of the three. If you are on the line of d1-d2 with a few kids over you could play a school with significantly more boys. Basically 3a-4a Schools playing 6a schools. Not a big deal because most 5a-6a high schools have multiple feeders but when they only have one it could potentially make for a juggernaut.

But as of now Region 4 teams have dominated all divisions especially division 1 and 2(Mainly Belfry)
If people are going to complain why not just keep your team at the house. A middle school championship is great but ain't you trying to get your teams ready for high school and showing them these are the people you have to beat the next 3-4 years. Worry about getting your kids ready for the next level.
proud44pirate Wrote:If people are going to complain why not just keep your team at the house. A middle school championship is great but ain't you trying to get your teams ready for high school and showing them these are the people you have to beat the next 3-4 years. Worry about getting your kids ready for the next level.

I agree 10,000%. That is why the Harlan County team shouldn't be playing with the lower division. They will face 5a competition in high school. Good point. The people they will have to beat over the next few years will not be Shelby Valley and Hazard.
So Ashland forfeits to Belfry? Anyone know why?
bucslover68 Wrote:So Ashland forfeits to Belfry? Anyone know why?

I'm guessing because they will play 4A in high school. Belfry is 3A. No point to play them in middle school.
proud44pirate Wrote:If people are going to complain why not just keep your team at the house. A middle school championship is great but ain't you trying to get your teams ready for high school and showing them these are the people you have to beat the next 3-4 years. Worry about getting your kids ready for the next level.

It is now odd/funny/coincidence that you post this considering Ashland has forfeited the game with Belfry.
If we played where the multiple high schools my kids can go to high school, then my team could play in any division...I'm in JCPS. So your logic wouldn't work if we based middle.schools off high school class.
Harlan also picks up two other schools when they become Harlan county.
Scott County GMS and Royal Springs come together guess they should all only play 6a teams.
Wildcat18 Wrote:I'm guessing because they will play 4A in high school. Belfry is 3A. No point to play them in middle school.

With all due respect that makes Zero sense

You dont play these games to scout for four years down the road, you play for the competition and to challenge your kids to make them better.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:With all due respect that makes Zero sense

You dont play these games to scout for four years down the road, you play for the competition and to challenge your kids to make them better.

Sarcasm.
SuperFan Wrote:Harlan also picks up two other schools when they become Harlan county.
Scott County GMS and Royal Springs come together guess they should all only play 6a teams.

I posted numbers the other day that showed that the 5 schools combined to make the Harlan team are more than double the size of Hazard, which is who they played last weekend. I was just trying to understand the logic of the seeding placement. I am not arguing it. As I said before, I have no dog in this fight. I would say that the two Scott Co. teams do not play in the lowest division. Would that be correct?
Redwolf what is your problem with New Harlan if you know so much then we would be in another Region but we are not we are were they placed us. I have never seen someone complain about a school as much as you do every time I get on here you have something negative to say about our football team.
Redwolf Wrote:I posted numbers the other day that showed that the 5 schools combined to make the Harlan team are more than double the size of Hazard, which is who they played last weekend. I was just trying to understand the logic of the seeding placement. I am not arguing it. As I said before, I have no dog in this fight. I would say that the two Scott Co. teams do not play in the lowest division. Would that be correct?
Crazy question did you look at the MALE enrollment of the 5 combined schools that make up New Harlan?
SportsMom15 Wrote:Crazy question did you look at the MALE enrollment of the 5 combined schools that make up New Harlan?

No numbers exist on the KDE site. Just totals. Post them if you've got them.
I will post that just for you on Monday and then maybe you can focus on something else beside our enrollment and how New Harlan shouldn't be playing where we are!
No Christian Academy of Indiana boys play on Christian Academy of Louisville 7th or 8th grade football team.