Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playoff Brackets
Good to see the D2 bracket is red again Smile
Belfry0304 Wrote:Good to see the D2 bracket is red again Smile

lol I don't make the brackets, and didn't even notice. Next year I will tell the guy to make it hot pink.
Are the Regional Finals sites set?
upintheair Wrote:Are the Regional Finals sites set?

I thought they were and then today happened, lol.

3 of the 4 are confirmed.
Question do you guys want a playoff seeding meeting thread on Saturday? Now we wont be releasing brackets or anything but lots of randomness at times.

What you think?
I'm up for randomness Saturday!
plantmanky Wrote:lol I don't make the brackets, and didn't even notice. Next year I will tell the guy to make it hot pink.

Shhhhh that just means it is fate!!
Are we really looking at 12 teams in each region in each division in 8th grade? And 16 in each region in the 7th grade bracket? Or is that just the max per bracket.
Coach_Lockwood Wrote:Are we really looking at 12 teams in each region in each division in 8th grade? And 16 in each region in the 7th grade bracket? Or is that just the max per bracket.

In doing the initial look at the brackets with the change in Divisional #'s yes no 8th grade bracket should have more than 12 this year. 16 in 7th grade.
When will the seeds be released?
You should just change the name of the D2 bracket to the "Belfry Invitational Tournament " :-)
Cant wait for playoffs!
I'm right there with you. Can't wait to see Belfry play. I've heard they are flat out awesome.
Can someone explain why there is a 7th grade playoff?
So we can crown a 7th grade champion...
Block Down Kick Out Wrote:Can someone explain why there is a 7th grade playoff?

Question I've always wondered as well. I feel like it ruins some of the 8th grade mystique especially in D1
Block Down Kick Out Wrote:Can someone explain why there is a 7th grade playoff?

7th grade usually produces as many, if not more teams and a better overall tournament than the D3 bracket. I see it as very relevant.
also hasn't every 7th grade champion went on to win their division in the following year? seems pretty relevant.

I agree that most quality seventh grade teams would beat the majority of D3 8th grade teams
It's wonderful that Trinity's JV could beat Paintsville too? I just feel like it takes some of the fun out of the weekend. Last year Corbin getting their trophy was a chore, we all knew they'd walk through it. Plus, Trinity may have kids on JV who'd start for Paintsville. Like last year, we had 7th graders galore on 8th grade. I get that it's good for those kids too. Guess I'm just playing devils advocate since we don't play in it.
Belfry0304 Wrote:It's wonderful that Trinity's JV could beat Paintsville too? I just feel like it takes some of the fun out of the weekend. Last year Corbin getting their trophy was a chore, we all knew they'd walk through it. Plus, Trinity may have kids on JV who'd start for Paintsville. Like last year, we had 7th graders galore on 8th grade. I get that it's good for those kids too. Guess I'm just playing devils advocate since we don't play in it.

If you knew you wouldn't compete in 8th grade with your 7th graders playing up, but were the favorites to win the 7th grade championship, what would you focus on? Depends on perspective I guess.
Belfry0304 Wrote:It's wonderful that Trinity's JV could beat Paintsville too? I just feel like it takes some of the fun out of the weekend. Last year Corbin getting their trophy was a chore, we all knew they'd walk through it. Plus, Trinity may have kids on JV who'd start for Paintsville. Like last year, we had 7th graders galore on 8th grade. I get that it's good for those kids too. Guess I'm just playing devils advocate since we don't play in it.

I think it's more impressive when teams can compete at both levels. Especially when the 7th grade bracket contains all divisions compared to breaking into 3 divisions for 8th grade.
IMO it helps your numbers (actually I know that first hand) and it is the last time that group of kids will get to play only with what they have in that grade.
When does the 8th. grade tournament begin?
Wildcat18 Wrote:If you knew you wouldn't compete in 8th grade with your 7th graders playing up, but were the favorites to win the 7th grade championship, what would you focus on? Depends on perspective I guess.

I want my kids playing the best competition so I'd play them up and then hope to win 8th the next year!
goBIGblue82 Wrote:I think it's more impressive when teams can compete at both levels. Especially when the 7th grade bracket contains all divisions compared to breaking into 3 divisions for 8th grade.

It takes numbers, though. Belfry can't possibly have two teams compete like that. So you know Pikeville, Paintsville, Adams, etc. don't have the numbers for it. Some smaller teams participate but it's just unnecessary to me. Anyone who'd have a chance to win it in 7th grade has a chance to win again the next year. Just like high school ball. 8th is the "varsity" and everything under isn't. Just makes the most sense to me. But whatever works for your program, I say do it.
Belfry0304 Wrote:I want my kids playing the best competition so I'd play them up and then hope to win 8th the next year!

That makes sense if you're a small school in lower divisions. Guess that's why most 7th grade champions come from D1 affiliates.
Belfry0304 Wrote:It takes numbers, though. Belfry can't possibly have two teams compete like that. So you know Pikeville, Paintsville, Adams, etc. don't have the numbers for it. Some smaller teams participate but it's just unnecessary to me. Anyone who'd have a chance to win it in 7th grade has a chance to win again the next year. Just like high school ball. 8th is the "varsity" and everything under isn't. Just makes the most sense to me. But whatever works for your program, I say do it.

I understand what you're saying and I'm actually in favor of playing 7th graders up (even though my school is not allowed to do it), but I don't think you abandon the 7th grade or "jv". There is a 7th grade and an 8th grade championship. Why not give kids the opportunity to compete in both?
Belfry0304 Wrote:It takes numbers, though. Belfry can't possibly have two teams compete like that. So you know Pikeville, Paintsville, Adams, etc. don't have the numbers for it. Some smaller teams participate but it's just unnecessary to me. Anyone who'd have a chance to win it in 7th grade has a chance to win again the next year. Just like high school ball. 8th is the "varsity" and everything under isn't. Just makes the most sense to me. But whatever works for your program, I say do it.

How many 8th graders do you have on the roster? 7th grade? 6th grade?
goBIGblue82 Wrote:I understand what you're saying and I'm actually in favor of playing 7th graders up (even though my school is not allowed to do it), but I don't think you abandon the 7th grade or "jv". There is a 7th grade and an 8th grade championship. Why not give kids the opportunity to compete in both?

We don't abandon. We play essentially varsity and JV. For example, on our 8th grade team we start a few 7th graders that are very talented. On our "JV Team" we start a few 8th graders who are new to football, etc. Because they're 8th graders that makes our JV ineligible for state tournament. Come playoff time, ALL 8th graders and some 7th graders are on our 8th grade tournament roster.