•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential Clay Coach?
TheTigersEye Wrote:Middlesboro and NL were both hiring other coaches within 4 years after hiring those guys. If those guys arent willing to be part of the community how long are they actually planning on staying and how important is the community to them.

You guys have got your believes and I respect that. But my believe is if you want to succeed at anything you get the very best you can get, it doesn't matter if it's a English teacher or a Football coach, a perfect example is Knox Co schools we have always hired the local who had a little pull and look what that got us. Dead azz last. IMO if you want to turn your program around you will hire the best coach you can get no matter where they live.
I hope it isn't from within the county. Other than Eugene Hensley, there is NO ONE qualified for a Head Coaching job. I would like to see someone who may have helped Wayne Mills while he was rebuilding Knox. Mills and staff done a amazing job over there.
TheTigersEye Wrote:Middlesboro and NL were both hiring other coaches within 4 years after hiring those guys. If those guys arent willing to be part of the community how long are they actually planning on staying and how important is the community to them.

thats a good point.I hope you find the right man.
The mighty mills was 3-3 against our beloved Tigers during his time at the K N O X.
TRUE....whoever takes charge will have to be given time, I think all Tiger Nation understands this aspect, however they will certainly expect to see positive growth from the program. In a year or so they'll expect the program to start winning the games you should, and maintain souls on the sidelines, with the fan base excited about the future. This all takes an investment in TIME....
They are looking for an architect. pure and simple. Doesnt seem to be any thought at all on where he comes from. There is a strong and unified desire in the system to hire a coach who can build a program and keep kids playing and on the sidelines.
May want to reach out to a young and upcoming assistant at a top program. Younger coaches can relate to the youth in some ways that old school guys may do it. If you are able to pluck one from a top school then you are well on your way because they know what it takes. Success breeds success. Sullivan from Pikeville would be a great start, then you can work your way up 23.
insideinfo Wrote:They will get jobs , in three years you will hiring another coach if your not careful.

The 3 or 4 year rotation seems to be the norm at Clay.
With all due respect to everyone, the next hire is only a very small part of the equation. Throw all the names around that you can throw, until a few methods, attitudes, and priorities change it simply doesn't matter who they hire. When and if the methods, attitudes and priorities do change, again, the hire won't be that big a deal. When the commitment is made here in Clay County our football team will compete, until then who the coach is doesn't matter. No "one man" is the answer.
Skinnypig speaks the truth.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated, committed citizens can change a program; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.
Mills may have been 3-3 against us, but from where Knox football was to where it is now is remarkable. I am not saying get Mills specifically, but someone who wants to be a head coach who watched what he did could be beneficial. I just hope we don't have school officials lobbying for their friends/family to get the job when nothing they have done has done anything to help the program.
TheTigersEye Wrote:Has anyone here applied? I can't think of any guys off hand that would be ready to be a high school head coach. I have heard that one of our elementary coaches might be interested but not sure.

I can't think of any individual here in the county that could fulfill all the elements for this hire and be successful, all the locals would come with some type of baggage or connection that would get in the way of making the tough decisions that are needed to move this program on a positive direction.
Bird Wrote:I hope it isn't from within the county. Other than Eugene Hensley, there is NO ONE qualified for a Head Coaching job. I would like to see someone who may have helped Wayne Mills while he was rebuilding Knox. Mills and staff done a amazing job over there.

Don't understand and may be wrong why Hensley is not on hiring committee. Same ole ignorance if not.
Not very attractive job right now. Top two choices have refused to even be interviewed shows me that a trust and commitment issue is questioned. Say what you want but wish Stepp was still here. At least he provided excitement!
Bird Wrote:I hope it isn't from within the county. Other than Eugene Hensley, there is NO ONE qualified for a Head Coaching job. I would like to see someone who may have helped Wayne Mills while he was rebuilding Knox. Mills and staff done a amazing job over there.

Eugene an Old Leslie County boy. You are right he is a Good Coach and at one time had that program rocking.
:Thumbs:
insideinfo Wrote:You guys have got your believes and I respect that. But my believe is if you want to succeed at anything you get the very best you can get, it doesn't matter if it's a English teacher or a Football coach, a perfect example is Knox Co schools we have always hired the local who had a little pull and look what that got us. Dead azz last. IMO if you want to turn your program around you will hire the best coach you can get no matter where they live.

JMO: Any Coach that is serious about building a program needs to live in the Community where they are going to Coach. The Kids needs to see the Coach is concerned and wants to be a part of them.:ChairHit:
Stepp is not the solution, in my eyes. He doctored up the schedule and put together a record barely over .500. Look what Leslie Co. done in the playoffs this season while playing the nobodys of Eastern Kentucky football this year. Shelby Valley had 3 straight losing seasons while under Stepp, now that he has been replaced they are in the final 4 of the 2A playoffs. Nobody that has been here besides Hensley should even be considered of being rehired. I totally agree he should be on the hiring committee, and would love to see him on the sideline. He was the best Clay ever had!
Oldtiger Wrote:I can't think of any individual here in the county that could fulfill all the elements for this hire and be successful, all the locals would come with some type of baggage or connection that would get in the way of making the tough decisions that are needed to move this program on a positive direction.

I gotta disagree with you a little Oldtiger. I can think of more than a couple of guys here in the county that could be successful. I will say it again...The "hire" is almost meaningless without a commitment being made across the board. Without the commitment, any coach will struggle. With the commitment, a lot of guys can succeed here.

We CANNOT make the mistake of thinking there's someone out there that will solve our program problems simply by hiring them. As much as I'd like to see it happen, it ain't gonna.
I promise you if there is not a total commitment across the board, No one will be successful in any program. You can't give people something they don't want.
SKINNYPIG Wrote:I gotta disagree with you a little Oldtiger. I can think of more than a couple of guys here in the county that could be successful. I will say it again...The "hire" is almost meaningless without a commitment being made across the board. Without the commitment, any coach will struggle. With the commitment, a lot of guys can succeed here.

We CANNOT make the mistake of thinking there's someone out there that will solve our program problems simply by hiring them. As much as I'd like to see it happen, it ain't gonna.

You have just joined kings of comedy. Please name one guy please and be honest and sincere
Bird Wrote:Stepp is not the solution, in my eyes. He doctored up the schedule and put together a record barely over .500. Look what Leslie Co. done in the playoffs this season while playing the nobodys of Eastern Kentucky football this year. Shelby Valley had 3 straight losing seasons while under Stepp, now that he has been replaced they are in the final 4 of the 2A playoffs. Nobody that has been here besides Hensley should even be considered of being rehired. I totally agree he should be on the hiring committee, and would love to see him on the sideline. He was the best Clay ever had!

Not saying to rehire him or him being the solution. Just know that when he was coach that the stands were packed and he drew more people than in BK gym.
Ask Shelby Valley who was the driving force behind their sucess and who played the younger kids early.
Tigercreek Wrote:You have just joined kings of comedy. Please name one guy please and be honest and sincere

???
Tigercreek Wrote:You have just joined kings of comedy. Please name one guy please and be honest and sincere

If you think for one second that I'm gonna put names on here for the Captain Negatives in Clay County to mount their smear campaign, you are THE King of Comedy.

I'm just giving my opinion, which is worthless. I'll leave the decision up to the committee and admin, they will be getting the applications.
More people than BK gym? This post I just laughed at, and it wasn't in a private message. If Stepp packed them out like that, why is he gone? If he built Valley why is he gone? If someone builds a program they are not going to leave on their own when it gets good. I said he doctored the schedule which is exactly what he did.
When he came he went from playing teams like Johnson Central, GRC, Perry Central, Breathitt, and Dunbar. Which Hensley scheduled to Stepp scheduling Lynn Camp, Fleming Neon, Knott Central, Letcher, and Evarts. Stepp was a fit here because he loved the attention all the suck ups gave him. Think about this, his best friends here are people the fans of Clay football despise.
SKINNYPIG Wrote:If you think for one second that I'm gonna put names on here for the Captain Negatives in Clay County to mount their smear campaign, you are THE King of Comedy.

I'm just giving my opinion, which is worthless. I'll leave the decision up to the committee and admin, they will be getting the applications.

Skinnypig Amen and exactly about the captain Negative Club...I didn't mean we didn't have any good coaches, I just think they'd all have some type of baggage to overcome, be it unqualified friends wanting to be on staff, folks wanting to be assistant coaches who've already failed at their shot, or the community Haters digging up something from their past.

Already had one kid who was a starter in 2013 who didn't play football last year at all tell me he was so fired up to get back to football and he didn't care who the new coach was, he said he had a point to prove to the old staff. He also said he'd been at the gym lifting since he'd heard rumors we were getting a new coach.
Bird Wrote:More people than BK gym? This post I just laughed at, and it wasn't in a private message. If Stepp packed them out like that, why is he gone? If he built Valley why is he gone? If someone builds a program they are not going to leave on their own when it gets good. I said he doctored the schedule which is exactly what he did.
When he came he went from playing teams like Johnson Central, GRC, Perry Central, Breathitt, and Dunbar. Which Hensley scheduled to Stepp scheduling Lynn Camp, Fleming Neon, Knott Central, Letcher, and Evarts. Stepp was a fit here because he loved the attention all the suck ups gave him. Think about this, his best friends here are people the fans of Clay football despise.

Your boys at Knox were just as good at beating the Evarts, Cawoods, and McCreary Centrals of the world as Stepp. Stepp was left with a team of 16 players or so after Eugene retired, continuing to play those schools at that time would be foolish. I'm not a huge Stepp supporter or anything like that but the guy wasn't a bad coach.
Here is one for you TigerCreek, in 2004 here is how his schedule started out.
Letcher 0-10
Fleming Neon 0-10
Knott Central 2-8
McCreary Central 1-9
Not sure who was and who wasn't the district games were but with Hensley Clay didn't shy away from competition.
Sorry...Repost.
And for anyone that had a question about the problems this job presents.....................
In your opinion Stepp might not have been a bad coach, in mine he wasn't much. I am a Clay fan, I just stated Mills rebuilt Knox nicely. Anybody with any sense of reality should know, no big name coach is coming. We have to get a solid assistant from a solid program who has seen how it is done and is ready to try to do the same here.
  •  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next