•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential Clay Coach?
What are the prospects for a staff at Clay? I mean, a good/great head coach is a start, but the guy has gotta have some quality help.

Will any members of the current staff stick around? Or should they?
We tried commuters we don't need that again. It's going to be a long term job to have success here. To the best of my knowledge their is no current staff so it will be an uphill climb for a guy coming in.
I also feel it needs to be someone in the county but I want some with a little age that can make good decisions. I think it needs to be someone working for the school so they will be around the kids each day. Some of the ones I hear th roughing there hat in-- no way too young.
Who are you hearing? It's starting to pick up around town, I've heard at least 10 names just in the last 2 days.
It will take a coach with a lot of confidence and a very good public persona, along with a willingness to build a program from the elementary level up to get this right. It will also take the administration and parents being willing to let that coach do just that. I suspect that whomever applies it will be a very deliberate hiring process.
You all seem to think it is going to be better for the program to go with a local coach, but maybe not. Sometimes the BEST coach is the one that comes in from out of town, knows little about the history & ends up doing the best, because of it. Just thought I would throw that in to the mix, because I have seen it work out well over the years. Confusedinglepar
Call LJ he can get you a interview with DUDLEY.
Tight End Wrote:You all seem to think it is going to be better for the program to go with a local coach, but maybe not. Sometimes the BEST coach is the one that comes in from out of town, knows little about the history & ends up doing the best, because of it. Just thought I would throw that in to the mix, because I have seen it work out well over the years. Confusedinglepar

I think most Clay Countians would welcome the right coach from out of town, one that is from out of town and continues to be from out of town is what they want to avoid. We've had a commuter, not interested in another.
I've heard some names that have reached out to the Board of Ed, and also that has told some in the community they want it. No real impressive names as of now. I don't want to throw out names cause I'm not sure of the rules of this board, since it's just rumors.
^
Have you seen rumor threads on coaching openings?

You could say Vince Lombardi and it would be okay. Rumors of coaching openings are completely fine on this site.
Heard it here first, Lombardi to Tiger town(Rumor) Kidding.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
Have you seen rumor threads on coaching openings?

You could say Vince Lombardi and it would be okay. Rumors of coaching openings are completely fine on this site.

:biglmao:
TheTigersEye Wrote:Heard it here first, Lombardi to Tiger town(Rumor) Kidding.

Muschamp is looking for a job.
I heard they are going to hire from within.
TrueTigerfan Wrote:I also feel it needs to be someone in the county but I want some with a little age that can make good decisions. I think it needs to be someone working for the school so they will be around the kids each day. Some of the ones I hear th roughing there hat in-- no way too young.

Are you saying they need to hire someone from this county, or the hire needs to be living this county?? I only can think of 3 people from here that actually know the game. I talking the whole thing.
Also their are only 4 people applied so far and 2 of them have no chance.
I do know two coaches interested and have applied both of which are veteran coaches and both know how to run a program and how to win ballgames. Either would bring strong defense and a hard nosed power running game that would be formidable. If either of these two hired you can expect discipline but a coach kids really love. One of these coaches has a pile of playoff wins.
Why don't we mention some names on here? We're acting like we are guarding the gold at Ft. Knox here with the information we have. If they have applied and are that interested why can't their name be associated with our coaching position here in Manchester? I've heard everything from Dudley Hilton, John Chapman, Bert Browne, Mike Holcomb, some Frazier, and Whitley's old coach in town, don't know if its true and probably isn't but it is the Rumor.
Dave Mitchell is probably one of them.
johnnyd Wrote:Dave Mitchell is probably one of them.

That's one name I haven't heard, I would not be surprised if he did apply though.
Tigercreek Wrote:Are you saying they need to hire someone from this county, or the hire needs to be living this county?? I only can think of 3 people from here that actually know the game. I talking the whole thing.

"Knowing" the game and "Coaching" the game are two entirely different things.
Names I heard from people at Clay that I see or talk to from work.

David Mitchell
Bert Brown
Greg Duncum
Randy Frazier
Mike Whitaker
Russ Sheare
How many of those guys are actually willing to be part of the community in clay for the long haul? All are pretty good names, but IMO its going to take someone entirely committed to developing the program and being part of the community over several years to do it right.
David Mitchell is one heck of a coach. Kids love him. Look at his playoff record at Lynn Camp and talk to opposing coaches about dealing with his teams. There are not a lot of coaches with his experience and ability. He knows how to deal with all aspects of the position and how to win games. With the potential at Clay he would be successful and it wouldn't take forever to see results.
Mike Whitaker is a Good Coach. He would live in the County and build a program. I could see Mike staying for several years and being successful in Tiger Town.
Whitaker does an okay job, seems to under achieve at times and leave within 3-4 years though by looking at his MO.
SKINNYPIG Wrote:"Knowing" the game and "Coaching" the game are two entirely different things.

That's what "the whole thing" at the end of my post meant. To be more blunt no one that lives in this county should be considered unless Hensley could mentor them for couple years. My wish is to hire a coach with no political ties, and let him bring his own with him. Just a dream I know.
Has anyone here applied? I can't think of any guys off hand that would be ready to be a high school head coach. I have heard that one of our elementary coaches might be interested but not sure.
Maybe someone young. So they can built their team. And have a lasting lengthy career
SLHSCard Wrote:Whitaker does an okay job, seems to under achieve at times and leave within 3-4 years though by looking at his MO.

Christian Co. was always a contender when Mike was there. He built Powell Co's program into a winner and won 1st ever Play-off game at Powell Co. Letcher was pretty much a bust. Webster Co. where he is now has never had a Football Program. Mike is from Leslie and would probably love to move close to Home.
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next