•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbin coaching search
Emergency hire post what ever is needed. This is not an emergency hire, so may post for 30days.
It is not required to be posted for 30 days. They could hire a coach today if they wanted too.
Jackson05 Wrote:It is not required to be posted for 30 days. They could hire a coach today if they wanted too.

Yes you are correct. If they are posting a teaching position it is 30 days unless it is an emergency.
I can see me wearing red.... I need a 3A team local 64SUR :popcorn:
Brent Jackson, this in my opinion is one of the best coaches in the state, Corbin will have no problem in filling the position with the best.
Corbin fans measure success in championships. The Corbin community has and will continue to provide the athletes. This is a coaches dream, Good luck Corbin
oldhound70s Wrote:I heard he doesn't want it and I really can't blame him. He's got it made where he's at. I don't think he can handle the pressure nor wants the aggravation.

You don't know coach Jackson, If he didn't want it you would never know. To make a statement that you don't think he could handle the pressure. YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE MAN. HE is a leader of young men, and the real deal.
Wow, never even thought of Steve Bird. Last I heard, he was coaching at South Florida.

Not sure if he would be interested, but a long and impressive resume. One of my all-time favorite Hounds. Great guy!
There have been some calls being made to a few coaches to judge there interest in the job and to see if they know someone who would make them a good coach. I believe this will be long drawed out process just like the Girls job. I would be surprised if they have a coach before May 1st.
William Muney Wrote:Looks like Jackson is the man for the pups. Is that the same guy that was at Pikeville and 1 of the Oldham schools?

I heard tonight that M. Jackson has unfinished business with his current job and will not apply.
SEKYFAN Wrote:I heard tonight that M. Jackson has unfinished business with his current job and will not apply.

I can believe that.

Plus, he has more talent there than you cans shake a stick at. With not being in in the super district, if there was ever a school outside of T & X who could make a run at the 6A title, it's Ballard.

Truth be told, if there was ever another school who could knock off T and X, it's Ballard, too.

He does a great job there, and it will only get better.
There are several good coaches that Corbin could fill this position with. However, they don't just need a good Coach, Jewell was an excellent coach. They need a leader that the players will look up to. Finding a great leader will be harder than just finding a good coach.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:There are several good coaches that Corbin could fill this position with. However, they don't just need a good Coach, Jewell was an excellent coach. They need a leader that the players will look up to. Finding a great leader will be harder than just finding a good coach.

I could be wrong, and if so, I'll eat the biggest Crow you can find. But, Corbin will not find a coach at a big time program, with a big time record to leave their current job this late in the year.

I will say this, though, whoever they hire will be a good one and Corbin will win just like they always have.

What I've never understood is, it's not like Corbin was going to and/or winning State Titles before Jewell got the job. I mean, it's been over 30 years since they have won a title. << This is what's made it hard for me to understand all of the animosity towards Jewell. Had they been a dynasty the previous 15+ years before he took over, then I can understand...but, he had as much, if not more success than anybody since '82.

They were Runners Up to Fort Knox in 1990, and then obviously Runners Up to Breathitt in 2002.

It's still a great job, no doubt....but, it's not viewed in the same light across the state (like it once probably was) like it is in SEKY (that's ok, every program goes through that).

Come to think of it, many of the coaches that will be after this thing are ones that:

1) Probably weren't even in HS the last time Corbin won a State Title

2) A good percentage of them weren't even born yet.

With that said, I still personally feel it is a GREAT job. But, if I'm reading this message board at all (and usually where there is smoke, there is fire), then it seems like a very, very, very hard group to please.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:There are several good coaches that Corbin could fill this position with. However, they don't just need a good Coach, Jewell was an excellent coach. They need a leader that the players will look up to. Finding a great leader will be harder than just finding a good coach.

I agree with this.

Finding somebody in this day and age who can motivate and related to this generation of kids, plus know football and win is a lot to ask for...but, they will find it.

WITH BRENT JACKSON You get both.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:I agree with this.

Finding somebody in this day and age who can motivate and related to this generation of kids, plus know football and win is a lot to ask for...but, they will find it.

At Corbin it is not a lot to ask for, it is what the fans expect, to settle for less than both leadership and knowledge of what it takes to win would be to surrender. Corbin is the flagship program in South Eastern Ky. to settle for less than the best would do damage to HS Football through out Eastern Ky.
I look at Corbin the same way that I do OHIO STATE, if they make a Urban Myers hire, Corbin will go right back to the top!!
This is a very very crucial hire!
Stay were your at or move to the Belfry, Highlands level.
topnotch Wrote:At Corbin it is not a lot to ask for, it is what the fans expect, to settle for less than both leadership and knowledge of what it takes to win would be to surrender. Corbin is the flagship program in South Eastern Ky. to settle for less than the best would do damage to HS Football through out Eastern Ky.

I don't understand how Corbin is the flagship program of Southeastern Kentucky, but I understand what your saying. Corbin just doesn't hold that prestige they once did. This hire could put them in the gutter if they mess it up IMO.
I just don't see Corbin ever tanking.

Independent school. Tons of tradition. Football matters there. Plus being in SEKY, they compete against those just like them demographically. They are far enough removed from where they don't really have to compete with those from our larger metropolitan areas (except for this last realignment when Central was thrown in the mix)...private schools aren't a factor. For one, there are none in SEKY and secondly, they don't have to compete against any for the big prize (until LexCath comes in, which they could go West, so Corbin won't see them until the finals; but LexCath is human).

Corbin won't ever tank.

...too many factors in their favor. Factors that they don't have to compete against, that other programs in other parts of the state have to deal with.
redstorm Wrote:I look at Corbin the same way that I do OHIO STATE, if they make a Urban Myers hire, Corbin will go right back to the top!!
This is a very very crucial hire!
Stay were your at or move to the Belfry, Highlands level.

This late in the game, they will not make make an Urban Meyer like hire in the eyes of the fans.

I just don't see it, and as I've said...if wrong, find the biggest crow you can find.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I don't understand how Corbin is the flagship program of Southeastern Kentucky, but I understand what your saying. Corbin just doesn't hold that prestige they once did. This hire could put them in the gutter if they mess it up IMO.

You would have to play high school football first (YOU DIDN'T) Next you would have to have Played aganst Corbin (YOU DIDN'T) then you would Know what makes them the flagship program.
topnotch Wrote:You would have to play high school football first (YOU DIDN'T) Next you would have to have Played aganst Corbin (YOU DIDN'T) then you would Know what makes them the flagship program.

Tell me what your getting at...

As far as I know, I did all of those things, well, except play Corbin. They wouldn't schedule us from 98-01 either.
Corbin was the flagship program in the ...........70's and 80's. Not since then except in their own eyes.
A great hire and Corbin will be right back on top.
This is a great job. There are several other jobs in Eastern Kentucky better. This is not The Flagship program in Eastern Kentucky. People in Corbin want it to be. That is a good thing if they will do what it takes to get it there.
I guess my biggest question, is what will it take to keep the Corbin faithful happy? Obviously, the first answer is State Titles.

But, is it 8,9, 10 wins and 2nd round, region finals and state semis on a yearly mix.

Or is it maybe sacrificing a few of those regular season, non district wins for some very stiff competition; thus resulting in maybe 6, 7, 8 win seasons instead with region final type appearances and a trip to BG every few years?

The biggest thing that hurts Corbin in my opinion and many SEKY/EKY schools when it gets to nut cutting time is Speed. Now, my definition of speed and others is probably a little different. Corbin has some kids who run well no doubt.

I think a lot of Corbin's future success depends on where they are placed in the next realignment. If they go West (which I don't think they will) and have to compete with the likes of Paducah Tilghman, Louisville Central, Bardstown, LexCath (assuming they go West) then I think you are going to see more of the same. Three of those four schools aren't just top notch football programs, but they also have more track hardware than you can shake a stick out.

However, if they get placed in the East, then I think you are looking at a different set of possibilities.
They should be in the East, Corbin , Bell and Jackson Co should all be east teams!
New alignment will look like this: IMO
Bell County, Corbin, Jackson Co and McCreary Co.
If so, Corbin non- district should be very tough to prepare them for playoffs.
Need to schedule Boyle, belfry,highlands and some other quality teams. It will show weakness and then can improve on them.
What are some non district teams you would like to see on their non district schedule?
redstorm Wrote:Need to schedule Boyle, belfry,highlands and some other quality teams. It will show weakness and then can improve on them.

That sounds good and all, but those programs are so much further ahead of Corbin right now that catching up with them is a few year process..not a few weeks one.

Talking about three schools right there that have won over 20 State Titles combined since Corbin has won their last one.
Comparing Belfry and Corbin, but before Belfry won their state title in 03, the previous five years looked like this:

98- 8-5 Region Runners Up
99- 8-4 2nd Round Loss
00- 7-5 2nd Round Loss
01- 8-5 Region Runners Up
02- 10-3 Region Runners Up

Two questions.

1) Fair assessment that Belfry is currently a better program than Corbin right now?

2) Fair assessment that those at Belfry were/are probably a little more understanding and patient with the process that it takes to get a program to the level that theirs is currently at?
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next