•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is going to be the new coach at Whitley?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I wont know for certain if my top choice will be really interested until after he gets knocked out of the playoffs.....that narrows it down a bit.

The other one is already out of the playoffs.

The third is of course Gibbs, if Whitley cant get who they want, and settle for what they have.

OUT. S Laurel, L Camp, Clay, Rock, KC, NL
IN. PLD, Harlan Co, Hazard, Pineville, Wburg, Danville, Mboro, Someret, Bell, Corbin.
Are any of these correct or are you not at liberty to disclose?
I can see Tom Larkey being in the mix for the Whitley Co job. With the way politics play a huge role up there, I can see him wanting out. I've also heard that an outside source has been getting into players ears up there. I've not heard any particulars but there's a chance a certain former Cawood/Cumberland coach sees HC can be a successful program and wants another shot on the sidelines. This is just hearsay but it makes sense to me.
I hope Whtley doesn't hire a one dimensional coach. you won't go far with no passing game.
I am no way in the know or claim to be. I have only given my opinion on who could help the program. With that said I have heard now from multiple sources they are going to go hard after Wayne mills.
HAROLD Wrote:I can see Tom Larkey being in the mix for the Whitley Co job. With the way politics play a huge role up there, I can see him wanting out. I've also heard that an outside source has been getting into players ears up there. I've not heard any particulars but there's a chance a certain former Cawood/Cumberland coach sees HC can be a successful program and wants another shot on the sidelines. This is just hearsay but it makes sense to me.
I hope you're wrong in more ways than i would really care to say on here...I know you said it's just hearsay but really i'm hoping you're wrong...
goBIGblue82 Wrote:I am no way in the know or claim to be. I have only given my opinion on who could help the program. With that said I have heard now from multiple sources they are going to go hard after Wayne mills.

I heard that, too but I can't justify in my head. I mean contracts, any "extra" things that may have been offered...it's just too early I think.

And I'm speculating here; I know NOTHING!
Granny Bear Wrote:I heard that, too but I can't justify in my head. I mean contracts, any "extra" things that may have been offered...it's just too early I think.

And I'm speculating here; I know NOTHING!

It's a Bell Co. coach!!!!!!!! Just an old one!!!!
I have been hearing whispers since summer that this was Larkeys last year in Harlan and the speculation was he was going to help at North Laurel.
insideinfo Wrote:I have been hearing whispers since summer that this was Larkeys last year in Harlan and the speculation was he was going to help at North Laurel.

That should probably be on the thread "who's going to be next coach at Harlan Co when Coach Larkey goes to NL".
Cody Jones has put in the effort to play at UK. Not with a goal of going to the NFL but to learn the game so that he can coach. He has started at fullback because of his understanding of the game and willingness to do what it takes. Watch the games and pay attention to where Cody is at when he is not in the game. He is on Stoops side paying attention and learning. Cody is a bright kid who is a very good student who will be a very good coach. I don't think it is time for him to be head coach. With some seasoning and experience he will be a very good head coach some day. Next year he will be a big plus on who ever sideline he ends up on.
footballfever Wrote:That should probably be on the thread "who's going to be next coach at Harlan Co when Coach Larkey goes to NL".
Granny and Mama Bear will be Confusednicker:
Hmmmm, not me!
I hope they don't get Mills or LarkeySmile
HAROLD, you have no idea about when Coach Larkey leaves Harlan County. I can tell you this, Coach leaves when coach wants to leave. Coach has WAY to many backers to be forced out of Harlan County by politics and he has only been here 6 years. THAT SAYS A LOT about what Harlan Countians think of Coach Larkey.
insideinfo Wrote:I have been hearing whispers since summer that this was Larkeys last year in Harlan and the speculation was he was going to help at North Laurel.

That sounds like the same "whispers" people start talking about every year. They "whisper" it because it wasn't true in 2010, or 2011, or 2012.......
HAROLD Wrote:I can see Tom Larkey being in the mix for the Whitley Co job. With the way politics play a huge role up there, I can see him wanting out. I've also heard that an outside source has been getting into players ears up there. I've not heard any particulars but there's a chance a certain former Cawood/Cumberland coach sees HC can be a successful program and wants another shot on the sidelines. This is just hearsay but it makes sense to me.

Another tired rumor that's been going around since BEFORE the school even opened.
As Bear Claw said, coach Larkey will stay until he wants to leave. As far as I know, coach Larkey has not suffered in any way because of politics. He was brought to Harlan County by Tim Saylor (the former Cawood/Cumberland coach) because Saylor wanted to have a winning program.
If there was any politics involved in the coaching hiring at HCHS, then all the other schools in eastern Kentucky should try it because I'd like to hear someone who put together a better coaching staff in the first year of a school than Saylor and former principal Bob Howard.
The other part I don't understand every time this HEARSAY comes up is that Saylor is hoping to undermine Larkey, when he was the guy who convinced him to come here. The other part that bothers me is that somebody will always say we sure don't want that to happen, as if Saylor was not a good coach. Anyone who has any doubts about Saylor's coaching ability should look at his record. He had one losing season in about 20 years and won EVERYWHERE he went. He was one of the top coaches in eastern Kentucky and one of the most successful ever to coach in Harlan County. He had a run at Cumberland that was as good as anyone ever to coach here, except for Ed Miracle.
Coach will let us know when he is ready to go. It might be his last year and then again he might stay 6 more. I hate to see coach go but when he does, I want to go to him, shake his hand and say "Thank You Coach for what you have established here at Harlan County High School in such a short period of time". "You were the right man for the job and you and your players and coaches have set the foundation for many great days ahead for HC football". I will be honest, if he is ready to go, I don't blame him one bit if he heads up to help Chris. That is a very close knit family.
anxious to see who Whitley choosesSmile
Saw in the paper today where they said they wanted a coach in place before spring break.....is that a long time for a hire?

I don't think anyone has any idea who it might be......especially when they think it may take that long.
I hear Whitley is going to hire GUT, just saying. That is the word going around.
Yep, I heard the very same thing bear claw. He is also going to be head hotdog man at concessions!!!
I hope they get more experienced coach than Gut. a proven winnerSmile
bear claw Wrote:I hear Whitley is going to hire GUT, just saying. That is the word going around.

He already coaches at WCHS!! Just not football.:biglmao:
Here is a name I'd like to see Whitley go after, Greg Duncum. Great coach and the kids love him.:flame:
Why would Whitley hire a coach that couldn't win at North Laurel?
If i rememeber correctly duncum had more success at nl than anybody. He just didnt get the support. He wouldnt have that problem at whitley.
Granny Bear Wrote:Yep, I heard the very same thing bear claw. He is also going to be head hotdog man at concessions!!!

Hope he gets a new grill in the contract!!
Fooseball Devil Wrote:Here is a name I'd like to see Whitley go after, Greg Duncum. Great coach and the kids love him.:flame:

I would agree with Greg Duncum :Cheerlead
What about you, 64SUR?? You already live in the area. Would you be a good football coach?
Granny Bear Wrote:What about you, 64SUR?? You already live in the area. Would you be a good football coach?

That would knock him out of his crazy check.lol:biglmao::biglmao::biglmao:
  •  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next