•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is going to be the new coach at Whitley?
How about Coach Jewell, didn't his dad coached at Whitley Co. in the late 70's or early 80's?
SEKYFAN Wrote:How about Coach Jewell, didn't his dad coached at Whitley Co. in the late 70's or early 80's?

You're in my days and that was Coach Schaeffer and Coach Ferrell. Coach
Ferrell left in 82 and went to a high school in West Virginia and Coach Schaeffer retired in 82 or 83.... Not sure who took over in the mid 80's ...
SEKYFAN Wrote:Here are some names I have heard.
1. Gibbs
2. Lawson
3. Dave Mitchell
4. Chuck Smith
5. Dudley Hilton - he was spotted with Tommy Greer in Corbin yesterday.

IMO Lawson would be the best candidate and should be the top priority. Like others have said tho they must be willing to surround him with quality assistants.
Gut said their fan base would be upset...so don't think it's Jewel.
64SUR Wrote:I still think they should hire

1. Unknown name - RIUTG
2. Dudley Hilton
3. Rick Rains
4. Unknown name - Topnotch
5. Unknown name- Me 64SUR
Confusederiously:

I want to take this time an turn the job down.I will keep my Monday morning coaching job :thanks:
64SUR Wrote:I want to take this time an turn the job down.I will keep my Monday morning coaching job :thanks:

That's a wise choice and I fully understand as I do my best coaching on this message board, it seems pretty easy on here.:1:
Especially when we can all do it on Saturday morning!!
Wink
Reading Gut's hints would make me think Whitley is going to hire a head coach from a local program. Herron, Jewell, Mills, Larkey, Hilton and Scott Russell would all fit the criteria he has set out. Hilton would have to take a huge pay cut. Whitley gas already went the Williamsburg route and it didn't work out. Plus Williamsburg will have everybody back but Sizemore next year. Jewell will never happen. Jewell's son was a freshmen on this years team and they will have a very good senior class next year. Larkey is a strong possibility with North losing a very good senior class. Laurel County is infamous for under paying its coaches. Mills has taken a lot of grief at Bell early this year but has got them on track at the end of the season. Hard following a legend like Dudley. Also his middle school program has struggled last couple of years. Russell has done a good job at Knox Central but the politics are brutal in Knox County.
footballfanatic33 Wrote:So what you are saying is that the elementary and middle schools should not try to WIN games. They should just play and give everyone a participation trophy. You must be an Obama man. When do kids get taught how to win or that they are not ALWAYS gonna be given something just because they play?
I am sure that there are some things that could be changed in the system , but what you are saying is impossible to do. Go anywhere in the state and find a team that doesn't play at least some kids both ways or play kids up sometimes. It doesn't happen that way at that level. Coaches want to win and to do that you play your best 11.
You simply sound like a parent that had a kid that didn't get to play as much as you thought they should.

You are probably right they should continue to play their best eleven at WC. I didn't indicate anywhere that you shouldn't try to win, to me that is the way to win, I didn't mean to upset you, that is just my opinion. I guess you want to win in middle school or win and prepare for high school.
E's Army Wrote:Maybe the little guy from Williamsburg can install the XBox offense.
I've noticed you have posted this numerous times on different threads: 1. Nobody knows what you're talking about. 2. You could do a little better than referring to someones offense as the Xbox offense. 3. When using sarcasm, it's typically used in an intelligent manner so it becomes hard to grasp whether it's sarcasm or not.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:IMO Lawson would be the best candidate and should be the top priority. Like others have said tho they must be willing to surround him with quality assistants.

Which Lawson? The one at Jellico or the one who left Dunbar? I do no think either has seperated themselves with any sucess as a high school head coach. I would only make this move if you could surrond them with a quality staff with a lot of experience. I will say that both guys are really good people, and it would not be the worst thing that Whitley could do.
footballfanatic33 Wrote:So what you are saying is that the elementary and middle schools should not try to WIN games. They should just play and give everyone a participation trophy. You must be an Obama man. When do kids get taught how to win or that they are not ALWAYS gonna be given something just because they play?
I am sure that there are some things that could be changed in the system , but what you are saying is impossible to do. Go anywhere in the state and find a team that doesn't play at least some kids both ways or play kids up sometimes. It doesn't happen that way at that level. Coaches want to win and to do that you play your best 11.
You simply sound like a parent that had a kid that didn't get to play as much as you thought they should.

Be careful with what you are teaching when winning is the only thing that matters in early grades. It is hard to predict who the best players are going to be at young ages. Also the current elementary system that Whitley has pits schools that are very large against teams that are very small (and can bearly field a team). What is this developing? The Two seperate middle school ideas would be great, but it would take a lot of coaches. The more students are involved in the younger grades will lead to increased high school participation. Student participation has been and is a problem for a school the size of Whitley High School.
topnotch Wrote:You are probably right they should continue to play their best eleven at WC. I didn't indicate anywhere that you shouldn't try to win, to me that is the way to win, I didn't mean to upset you, that is just my opinion. I guess you want to win in middle school or win and prepare for high school.

The job of all the coaches that are in the elementary and middle school is to prepare the players for the high school. Teaching kids to be winners is part of that process. If all they do is lose then what does that teach them? I just don't agree with your opinion, just as you do not mine. And just so you know, I do think the more that get to play the better off you are. But there is no way to have more than 1 7th grade team and 1 8th grade at Whitley middle.
Highlands has 4. They have 4a numbers. Whitley has 5a numbers.
I love the highlands comparisons. It seems anytime someone wants to make a point about something they always pick the elite school to draw comparison to. Kids are begging to play at highlands and also the population is greater in the Covington/Cincinati area therefor more talent to pick from. Not all of those middle school kids will end up at highlands. They get to pick who they want. let's not forget the money poured into that school. You really think they don't have parents that are involved and push their kids? That's what hurts Whitley county. There is no parental involvement. I don't have the answers but I have seen hat hasn't been working.
Iam4thecats Wrote:Highlands has 4. They have 4a numbers. Whitley has 5a numbers.

Four different middle schools? Or one with four teams?
BDC Wrote:Which Lawson? The one at Jellico or the one who left Dunbar? I do no think either has seperated themselves with any sucess as a high school head coach. I would only make this move if you could surrond them with a quality staff with a lot of experience. I will say that both guys are really good people, and it would not be the worst thing that Whitley could do.

Brad Lawson at Jellico. Like I said he will need a good supporting cast of assistants. But, I think he would bring a much needed excitement to the program. With him one of the best perks would be keeping WC kids at WC and even pulling some from that would normally be Corbin kids. He hasn't produced like you would want in a coach, but how many could at Jellico. My biggest complaint with wanting a proven HC is what about the great assistants who haven't been given a chance cause they have no HC experience. Or the younger guys haven't proved themselves yet, but they're never given the opportunities. They can hire a good proven coach in the area that has reached his ceiling. Or they can go for a young guy that knows the game, has something to prove, can relate to kids, and hasn't even scratched the surface yet with their potential.
You can't use Jellico as a measuring stick. Nobody could have won down there the last couple of years.
BDC Wrote:Be careful with what you are teaching when winning is the only thing that matters in early grades. It is hard to predict who the best players are going to be at young ages. Also the current elementary system that Whitley has pits schools that are very large against teams that are very small (and can bearly field a team). What is this developing? The Two seperate middle school ideas would be great, but it would take a lot of coaches. The more students are involved in the younger grades will lead to increased high school participation. Student participation has been and is a problem for a school the size of Whitley High School.
Depends on how good you want a team and what are you willing to give up in order to do that. I was talking about 2 middle school teams. First day of practice they have 70 to 80 players show up ever year. after sitting on their
helments and watching other kids practice for a while they drop off to about 25. I also think that it would work well in the Whitley intermediant They Have enough kids to more than enough to supply two teams. I have seen Boston elemmentry field 11 on the field and 2 on the sideline. Same with PV , whitley East and north, in those schools they play pretty darn well./
E's Army Wrote:Reading Gut's hints would make me think Whitley is going to hire a head coach from a local program. Herron, Jewell, Mills, Larkey, Hilton and Scott Russell would all fit the criteria he has set out. Hilton would have to take a huge pay cut. Whitley gas already went the Williamsburg route and it didn't work out. Plus Williamsburg will have everybody back but Sizemore next year. Jewell will never happen. Jewell's son was a freshmen on this years team and they will have a very good senior class next year. Larkey is a strong possibility with North losing a very good senior class. Laurel County is infamous for under paying its coaches. Mills has taken a lot of grief at Bell early this year but has got them on track at the end of the season. Hard following a legend like Dudley. Also his middle school program has struggled last couple of years. Russell has done a good job at Knox Central but the politics are brutal in Knox County.

Funny u named every one in the area except Tom Larkey. When u said Larkey i was not thinking Chris. Definitely would not rule out the head man at H.C.
JerryGarcia Wrote:Funny u named every one in the area except Tom Larkey. When u said Larkey i was not thinking Chris. Definitely would not rule out the head man at H.C.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Confusednicker:
SEKYFAN Wrote:How about Coach Jewell, didn't his dad coached at Whitley Co. in the late 70's or early 80's?

Believe me when i say you can keep Jewell.
We dont want any part of that. Quit trying to pawn him off on us Confusednicker:
SEKYFAN Wrote:Here are some names I have heard.
1. Gibbs
2. Lawson
3. Dave Mitchell
4. Chuck Smith
5. Dudley Hilton - he was spotted with Tommy Greer in Corbin yesterday.

I like Bobby Gibbs. Played with him in high school. But hes not ready yet. He pretty much called all the plays over the last couple of years and its not got us anywhere. If Whitley doesnt get what they want, then they will "settle" for him though. Hes the safe pick that will never leave, but lets hop it doesnt come to that.

Lawson who? Brian or Bobby Joe?!?! Bobby Joe last i heard was in GA coaching somewhere and Brian is running for jailer :biglmao:

Dave Mitchell- two words. HELL NO.

Chuck Smith- wishful thinking, but nothing would surprise me.

Dudley- Dont believe everything you here. I dont.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:If you are correct, then that must be one very young, immature fan base. When a coach has done a great job for your program and decides to move on, for whatever reason, then the only smart thing to do is to thank him for all that he has done, wish him well, and assure him that you would be glad to write letters of recommendation for him if he ever needs them.

As far as I recall, that is exactly the way that Johnson Central handled the loss of Bill Musick when he decided to take a principal's position at Fairview. JC had just completed a 10-0 regular season and Coach Musick left a much better football program than he took over.

People change jobs and employers who have any class whatsoever wish them well when they move on.

Believe me when i say that is exactly what it is. If and when the coach i would like to see hired, be prepared for a long run of shame among certain posters on here. If not, ill never mention it...
I hope they get a top notch head coach and a good staff that gets the kids excited about playing. right now they dont have enough players or coaches.
Dudley hilton!!!!!
E's Army Wrote:Reading Gut's hints would make me think Whitley is going to hire a head coach from a local program. Herron, Jewell, Mills, Larkey, Hilton and Scott Russell would all fit the criteria he has set out. Hilton would have to take a huge pay cut. Whitley gas already went the Williamsburg route and it didn't work out. Plus Williamsburg will have everybody back but Sizemore next year. Jewell will never happen. Jewell's son was a freshmen on this years team and they will have a very good senior class next year. Larkey is a strong possibility with North losing a very good senior class. Laurel County is infamous for under paying its coaches. Mills has taken a lot of grief at Bell early this year but has got them on track at the end of the season. Hard following a legend like Dudley. Also his middle school program has struggled last couple of years. Russell has done a good job at Knox Central but the politics are brutal in Knox County.

You bring up some good points about the coaches you mentioned. Im getting a little excited about it, but i will say this, as far as my knowledge is concerned, none of the coaches you mentioned are even being looked at. Dont let my little hints mislead you, im not saying ill be right, but as far as i know, the coaches that i have heard are not even close to local. None of the coaches you mentioned is even on my radar. Good analysis though.
BDC Wrote:Be careful with what you are teaching when winning is the only thing that matters in early grades. It is hard to predict who the best players are going to be at young ages. Also the current elementary system that Whitley has pits schools that are very large against teams that are very small (and can bearly field a team). What is this developing? The Two seperate middle school ideas would be great, but it would take a lot of coaches. The more students are involved in the younger grades will lead to increased high school participation. Student participation has been and is a problem for a school the size of Whitley High School.

Feeder programs are the backbone of a high school team.
The middle school does its own thing and Bryant will conintue to run what he wants. As far as the elemntary schools are concerned, Whitley has a good setup of the league, but it doesnt work well for the future. Ive given my thoughts on it time and time again, and dont really care to do so anymore.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:Brad Lawson at Jellico. Like I said he will need a good supporting cast of assistants. But, I think he would bring a much needed excitement to the program. With him one of the best perks would be keeping WC kids at WC and even pulling some from that would normally be Corbin kids. He hasn't produced like you would want in a coach, but how many could at Jellico. My biggest complaint with wanting a proven HC is what about the great assistants who haven't been given a chance cause they have no HC experience. Or the younger guys haven't proved themselves yet, but they're never given the opportunities. They can hire a good proven coach in the area that has reached his ceiling. Or they can go for a young guy that knows the game, has something to prove, can relate to kids, and hasn't even scratched the surface yet with their potential.

Let me say this as nicely as i can. Not a snowballs chance in hell.

You do know Campbell is still AD right? The same Campbell that was coach when Brad left Whitley for Corbin and Campbell fought it resulting in Brad missing his junior year at Corbin due to transferring, right?
Believe me when i say thats not going to happen. Not to mention hes only in his mid 20's. Think more experienced, proven winner.
Dudley Hilton will not leave Pikeville while JDH is still playing. Nevermind the fact that Pikeville has had it's most successful season since 2005.
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next