Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KHSAA mandating middle school sports
Had a meeting about this the other day in Perry County.

What do you guys think?
I think it will be a great change and even some things out!!
I think it will be a great change and even some things out!!
KHSAA can't even run the high school sports right. They don't need to
screw middle school up.
The_Rock Wrote:KHSAA can't even run the high school sports right. They don't need to
screw middle school up.

Agreed, I find it funny they go to 14th region to have a meeting . If they run middle school like they run the 14th it will be worst than it is now.
KNOXBANDIT Wrote:I think it will be a great change and even some things out!!

What are they going to do not let hold backs play and open up the Canadian pipe line. The Khsaa needs to worry about there own problems and stay out of middle school they will only screw it up.
I think some people think that when khsaa takes over that it will do away with holdbacks but it wont. The high school rules is what middle school goes by now only difference is you cant play your holdback year. They will just holdback earlier or start them late. The holdbacks that have the august sept birthdays do have a huge advantage. In laurel co a holdback has not been able to play his holdback year for many years so it wont affect us.
I wish that they would mandate or enforce a standard of officiating because what I've seen traveling across the state of Kentucky is inconsistent, nepotistic, and lacks the structure to foster athletic growth in the kids playing theses sports! Over the past three years I can think of only three officials that did an excellent job, 1 @ knott co , 1 in Logan WV, and 1 from hazard. It's hard to coach and teach when all your work is undermined by uneducated or inexperienced refs that are uncles brothers sisters aunts to the coaches , kids or principals of the schools they call for
I agree they have several issues to work out. Academics and Maturity is only reasons why a kid should be held back. Not sports!! The way officiating changes from county to county, is awful for every team and should be mandated/corrected. Even at KBA in lexington, each set of refs is different the way they officiate and looking to just get the game over. It has to be corrected and you cant coach/teach kids the right way to play.
Hold backs should be eliminated in middle school football. It's fine in basketball because of minimal lack of contact, but in football, there is a big difference between a 13 year old and 15 year old. Simple human growth development gives the older kid an advantage.
KNOXBANDIT Wrote:I agree they have several issues to work out. Academics and Maturity is only reasons why a kid should be held back. Not sports!! The way officiating changes from county to county, is awful for every team and should be mandated/corrected. Even at KBA in lexington, each set of refs is different the way they officiate and looking to just get the game over. It has to be corrected and you cant coach/teach kids the right way to play.

I agree!
Looking to schedule some basketball games. Will travel...
6th grade, possibly 7th...
I have never been a fan in regards to holding your kids back for the sake of sports.
You ever pay for your kids college costs yet? You may become a fan.
reddmccauley Wrote:Hold backs should be eliminated in middle school football. It's fine in basketball because of minimal lack of contact, but in football, there is a big difference between a 13 year old and 15 year old. Simple human growth development gives the older kid an advantage.

If the student turns 15 after Aug. 1, he/she is eligible to play as an 8th grader. Some parents time that so the student starts kindergarten late. Some times they let them repeat kindergarten. Sometimes they let them repeat sixth or seventh grade.
You can't legislate that because it is not anyone else's business when a parent chooses for their child to repeat a grade and it's not fair to make it OK to do it in kindergarten and not in the 7th grade. If the student turns 15 on Aug. 2, does it really matter if that student started school late or held back in 7th grade?
HCS Wrote:If the student turns 15 after Aug. 1, he/she is eligible to play as an 8th grader. Some parents time that so the student starts kindergarten late. Some times they let them repeat kindergarten. Sometimes they let them repeat sixth or seventh grade.
You can't legislate that because it is not anyone else's business when a parent chooses for their child to repeat a grade and it's not fair to make it OK to do it in kindergarten and not in the 7th grade. If the student turns 15 on Aug. 2, does it really matter if that student started school late or held back in 7th grade?

I’m with ya. It’s no one’s business other than the parents of the child. They are operating within the rules! Most people probably complain because their kids got beat by someone the assume is a hold back or their kid isn’t getting playing time because another kid is better and might be a hold back. But all that those parents are concerned with is THEIR kid. So it’s ok for them to want the best for their kid but other parents don’t have that right?

College is also expensive. If holding my kid back gave him the slightest chance of receiving and offer to play sports, IM DOING IT!

To be honest, I’ll probably hold my kids back anyways. Especially the boys. It gives them another year to mature, which boys needs. Another year to improve, get stronger, possibly learn more or understand the material in school better, and frankly, just be a freaking kid for one more year of their lives. Everyone has that option, so stop crying “it isn’t fair” because it’s very fair.