Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2013 KYMSFA Membership List & Divisional Classifications
cougarpride08 Wrote:A shame. Letcher Central would have gotten points for winning county going into state.

I believe the deadline was Thursday for games to count. May be wrong, but think you are only allowed 10 games.
Well does regular season champs count? Lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Yes, the reg season champ get 2 additional points.
Awesome!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
UPSCat4080 Wrote:For goodness sakes can people stop crying about New Harlan being in D3? Caldwell County has an enrollment of 450+ JUST IN 6-8. Yes New Harlan pulls from 5 schools....1) Green Hill has a little over 100 students in K-8 and have ZERO players on the team 2) Cawood may have 80 kids in 7-8 and provide enough to the team that you wouldn't need a full hand to count them on 3) JACES has about he same number of kids as Cawood, but really only give 1 player that plays a lot of minutes to the team 4&5) Rosspoint and Wallins make up about 17-20 of the 25 TOTAL PLAYERS! The two schools have around 100 total 7-8 each, so that makes the New Harlan Patriots pull from a grand total of enrollment of around 300-350 total students which would mean around 150 male students. New Harlan is not an all star team....it is a team made up of kids from mainly two small schools in comparison to the other D3 schools and do not pull COMBINED from 5 schools what Caldwell does from only one 6-8 school.

but you are competing in D3 with schools that have a 100 boys or less all together, people just don't want to see someone come down a division unless they are sure that the numbers are right
West middle plays Crosby expect a blowout fastest team in the state
Now that new harlan is a d3 school there is no reason next year that new harlan shouldn't be in the same league as evarts , cumberland, harlan ind. , and the others. Now they can't cry that new harlan shouldn't be in there league unless they just don't want new harlan in it which I think that's what happened this year.
Thanks
Cut off for d3 is 146!
Footballcrazyman Wrote:Now that new harlan is a d3 school there is no reason next year that new harlan shouldn't be in the same league as evarts , cumberland, harlan ind. , and the others. Now they can't cry that new harlan shouldn't be in there league unless they just don't want new harlan in it which I think that's what happened this year.

I always get a kick out of watching a D-3 school flex their muscles on smaller schools. Especially after New Harlan bailed on their game with Southern and then bailed on their entire conference this season. Keep flexing guys. :worthy:
Here are the facts. A few short years ago, New Harlan was one of the elite teams in all of Eastern Kentucky and had the numbers to compete with just about anyone. New Harlan would have teams made up of 50+ and had some great talent pass through. The games between New Harlan and Bell County in those days were as good to watch as any high school game I've seen since. Today--things are drastically different. With declining enrollment, New Harlan is lucky to field a team of 25. Feeder schools that once would provide 15-20 players, now send 3-5. These loss of numbers have made it difficult for New Harlan to compete with the larger schools that they used to fit in with. Now, they are caught in the middle--having a reputation of being a large powerhouse program that they used to be--and being the current solid small program that they are. Small schools don't want to play them because of their former reputation...large schools think they should be willing to play anyone, anytime--even if they are completely overmatched.
Joker's Wild Wrote:Here are the facts. A few short years ago, New Harlan was one of the elite teams in all of Eastern Kentucky and had the numbers to compete with just about anyone. New Harlan would have teams made up of 50+ and had some great talent pass through. The games between New Harlan and Bell County in those days were as good to watch as any high school game I've seen since. Today--things are drastically different. With declining enrollment, New Harlan is lucky to field a team of 25. Feeder schools that once would provide 15-20 players, now send 3-5. These loss of numbers have made it difficult for New Harlan to compete with the larger schools that they used to fit in with. Now, they are caught in the middle--having a reputation of being a large powerhouse program that they used to be--and being the current solid small program that they are. Small schools don't want to play them because of their former reputation...large schools think they should be willing to play anyone, anytime--even if they are completely overmatched.

I understand and I feel your pain on the reputation issue. Every fan base has their nuts. Footballcrazyman is yours. Good luck to you all.
Lol thank you for that wildcat18! I don't see how all those schools I listed are so much smaller than new harlan we are d3 like the others. As far as flexing our muscle we do that in high school when all the county schools combine.
lchssports Wrote:Cut off for d3 is 146!

How about D2 and D1? Also is this offical?
Just for the record, I just want to know cutoffs because well I will explain in my next post!
If the cutoff is 146 and I will take UPSCAT4080 word that Harlan has 150.... I have no clue, nor do I have a clue about the cutoff at 146, Harlan would be a D2 school. I don't think the cutoff could be 146 either that or New Harlan has that many students pulling from the five schools. Either way, something is a miss here! I think Jeremy and the rest of the committee has done a wonderful job, I don't think they would intintially do something wrong, but committees can make mistakes. I have pointed out according to two other individuals posts, which I will assume is correct, there might be a mistake.
To be honest, I see Harlan County High School dropping down to 4A within the nex 5-6 years.
Playing As: 6th males 7th males total

Cumberland
Cumberland Elementary 28 32 60

Evarts
Evarts Elementary 31 15 46

New Harlan
Cawood Elementary 14 13 (27)
Green Hills Elementary 9 6 (15)
James Cawood Elementary 7 19 (26)
Rosspoint Elementary 17 26 (43)
Wallings Elementary 28 18 (46)
If we keep losing jobs in harlan county you may see the black bears as a 3a team it's getting bad here. I know a lot of the schools in the county has lost a ton of kids this school year and next school year looks even worse. People are moving away for work.
Green Hill provides no players on the team, so their numbers don't count. 157-15=142. Nice try though....
tvtimeout Wrote:If the cutoff is 146 and I will take UPSCAT4080 word that Harlan has 150.... I have no clue, nor do I have a clue about the cutoff at 146, Harlan would be a D2 school. I don't think the cutoff could be 146 either that or New Harlan has that many students pulling from the five schools. Either way, something is a miss here! I think Jeremy and the rest of the committee has done a wonderful job, I don't think they would intintially do something wrong, but committees can make mistakes. I have pointed out according to two other individuals posts, which I will assume is correct, there might be a mistake.

The numbers I looked at were from the KDE site, but everything is not always black and white. Different schools, as I have said before, have different situations. Yes there may be 150 total males from the 5 available schools to choose from, but kids just are not coming out to play in Harlan County like they used to or like other counties. New Harlan draws from 2 schools mainly (around 50-60 males) and only dresses around 23 kids. Not because they set it up that way to create an all star team, but because that is all they can get. New Harlan is not the same team as in the past where they would have 40 players dress and steamroll most anyone in their path. Before the KYMSFA West Harlan/New Harlan had teams that would have competed in any division, but for some reason kids in Harlan County are not coming out to play and you can see this trickling up to the high school as well IMO.
...and you're numbers for Wallins are incorrect anyway. They only have 38 males in 7/8. I have no idea if your other numbers are correct or not.
Looks like d3 next couple of years for new harlan. Saturday game with cumberland should be a good one can't wait to watch it.
These numbers were provided by Jeremy Bass, KMFSA

The numbers are based on 6th & 7th grade males (not 8th) & it doesn't matter whether the school has any kids on the team or not.....they have those kids to choose from
BlackBear3 Wrote:Playing As: 6th males 7th males total

Cumberland
Cumberland Elementary 28 32 60

Evarts
Evarts Elementary 31 15 46

New Harlan
Cawood Elementary 14 13 (27)
Green Hills Elementary 9 6 (15)
James Cawood Elementary 7 19 (26)
Rosspoint Elementary 17 26 (43)
Wallings Elementary 28 18 (46)

I know that you are biased being a Redskin, but the facts are that New Harlan is a team made up from Rosspoint and Wallins period. That is 89 total kids according to your chart. 1 player from JACES...2 from CAWOOD. Don't be mad because your team "actually" has to play the only team in county that they were afraid to play.
Lol I wasn't gonna say it but you went there anyway ups. They talked all year Saturday let's see if they back it up.
If you all really don't want to play New Harlan that bad, then don't play.

The report they use is from last years 6th and 7th grade males....which are this years 7th and 8th grade males...of which Wallins has 38....again, I have no idea if your other numbers are correct or not.

As far as I know, the rules say that numbers are counted only from schools who actually provide players to the team. Please, get over it.
I know Cumberland has beat New Harlan several times in the last few years before there was any "debate" over the numbers. Keeping making excuses....last year New Harlan wanted to join the conference with teams their own size (according to their coach in the HDE) to play better competition. After one winless year and multiple beatings....New Harlan dropped out of the league, cancelled their scheduled games with conference opponents and started crying about being poor little New Harlan....nobody likes us and will let us play. Bunch of babies.....probably a reflection of what is going on with the High School team. Fund up tent when things don't go your way.
Joker's Wild Wrote:If you all really don't want to play New Harlan that bad, then don't play.

The report they use is from last years 6th and 7th grade males....which are this years 7th and 8th grade males...of which Wallins has 38....again, I have no idea if your other numbers are correct or not.

As far as I know, the rules say that numbers are counted only from schools who actually provide players to the team. Please, get over it.

He also left out Black Mountain which Evarts football also pulls from. I am thinking maybe this numbers thing is not his forte.
Quote:I know Cumberland has beat New Harlan several times in the last few years before there was any "debate" over the numbers

If by several times, you mean once--then, I'll agree with you....