Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KHSAA over Middle Schools
The KHSAA can change the middle school playoffs. The will look at changing the number of games played during the season. I like the middle school playoffs. I think it gives the kids something to play for. So I middle school football has to change I say limit the number of regular season games and keep the playoffs.

On a side note. One of my issues of middle school sports is it has become a win at all cost in some school districts. Which is a shame because some kids get discouraged when no one is putting in the time to develop them.
Man, there is just as much research the other way.

Isn't that what we are supposed to do on this board...argue?

I will agree that many school districts will struggle with compliance in the new system.
Blackwater Wrote:II don't argue with research unless I have the data to defend my position. I also won't argue with you on a blog service. The KHSAA will not get involved with post season tournaments and play-offs. They do not have the authority from the state BOE or legislature to set up such a system. If you will notice the state BOE gave them a directive to do what they have outlined so far. Everyone is so concerned about retention, the biggest change will be Title IX compliance at the middle school level. Some parents, coaches, and even school administrators will be in a state of shock.

First I agree with you that the Title IX will be a shock to some, but it shouldn't be. School districts are supposed to be doing all the Title IX compliance stuff anyways. However, many, and I mean M A N Y............were not, hence why it was put into the regulation.

To be honest, if school districts had been doing what they were supposed to, this regulation and change never happens.
I agree that they should have, and a lot of districts have, but I think there were some concerns. The Red Book ( financial regulations and KRS for schools ) states that money must be spent In an equitable manner. However, that is not the end of it. Facilities, coaches (pay and number of), dressing facilities, uniforms, transportation, meals, and the list goes on. There will have to be an equity committee that meets usually three times a year to discuss athletic opportunities for male and female athletes and develops a plan to make sure this happens. One thing I see as an issue is buying uniforms every year for certain sports. Then let the students keep the uniform. I'm not going to start anything on here, but the schools in Fayette county ran into IRS problems a few years ago over students keeping uniforms and equipment bought by boosters. Title IX requires a uniform rotation developed by the equity committee. One of the penalties for non compliance is a district losing federal funding ei, Title I and other Title money.
Blackwater Wrote:I agree that they should have, and a lot of districts have, but I think there were some concerns. The Red Book ( financial regulations and KRS for schools ) states that money must be spent In an equitable manner. However, that is not the end of it. Facilities, coaches (pay and number of), dressing facilities, uniforms, transportation, meals, and the list goes on. There will have to be an equity committee that meets usually three times a year to discuss athletic opportunities for male and female athletes and develops a plan to make sure this happens. One thing I see as an issue is buying uniforms every year for certain sports. Then let the students keep the uniform. I'm not going to start anything on here, but the schools in Fayette county ran into IRS problems a few years ago over students keeping uniforms and equipment bought by boosters. Title IX requires a uniform rotation developed by the equity committee. One of the penalties for non compliance is a district losing federal funding ei, Title I and other Title money.

One thing I wish would change is require teams to put the away bunch SOMEWHERE. I don't know if it's possible to make a rule about though. Belfry Middle has one of the better facilities for a middle school team around and we still have to house the away team in the gym for a locker room but we at least had somewhere to put them. Multiple times the Belfry team had to dress on a sideline or field. Even in playoff games once those kids had to go 4 at a time into a storage building beside the field just to change. I can only name two places that had an inside place for the team before the game and that is Johnson County during the tournament and Mason County. I'm sure they have away locker rooms or gyms or somewhere... it just makes it easier to have that.
Belfry0304 Wrote:One thing I wish would change is require teams to put the away bunch SOMEWHERE. I don't know if it's possible to make a rule about though. Belfry Middle has one of the better facilities for a middle school team around and we still have to house the away team in the gym for a locker room but we at least had somewhere to put them. Multiple times the Belfry team had to dress on a sideline or field. Even in playoff games once those kids had to go 4 at a time into a storage building beside the field just to change. I can only name two places that had an inside place for the team before the game and that is Johnson County during the tournament and Mason County. I'm sure they have away locker rooms or gyms or somewhere... it just makes it easier to have that.

Belfry I understand your point, and its a great thought, but being a team that doesnt even have a locker room for our team at our field, it would be difficulty to have that rule. In fact I can think of 4 host sites in our conference that doesnt have a locker room for either team.
plantmanky Wrote:Belfry I understand your point, and its a great thought, but being a team that doesnt even have a locker room for our team at our field, it would be difficulty to have that rule. In fact I can think of 4 host sites in our conference that doesnt have a locker room for either team.

No gym either? Or even a place in the school?
Some scream about title ix. A lot of middle school teams don't have a Lockerroom much less one to give visitors.
I guess I need to clarify myself. If a male represented team has locker facilities then female must have an equitable locker room. The make up of the locker rooms and weight room facilities must meet the needs of both genders. For inatance, the male locker room can't have a coaching office and the female locker room not have one. The males and females can't SHARE a weight room and there is no weights or machines that are not comperable to the female athlete. This is a big deal to Title IX auditors. Uniform quality amoung the genders is also a big deal along with a uniform rotation plan. I have been through several audits and things must be in order. If not, you get a handy little corrective action plan sent to the principal, superintendent, BOE chair and State BOE.
this will never work
There is no other option. It is required by federal law. If a local district can't or won't make it work, then the district will lose federal funding. It's sad to say, but people have been turning a blind eye and deaf ear to Title IX at the middle school level. The state BOE had to take action and hold all middle schools to the Title IX accountability as our high schools. Over the upcoming year school administrators and athletic directors will be well served to educate staff, parents, boosters, students, and their communities on how Title IX will affect athletics. Once everyone understands how it works and makes the adjustments it will be a lot smoother transition. Whereas, if you go in fighting and resisting the changes it will be a long row to hoe and a negative culture in an athletic program.
I totally agree! Time for some organization in Middle school sports. I want my child to have all the advantages of this and also for him to be as safe as possible and it sounds like that's what they are trying to do...
Khsaa is a joke unless u r trinty ft Thomas cov cath or any cath school hoo get transfers all the time . Then if a mountain team has a kid try change schools lord god not right . If they want to make things fair a school should have show prof that a kid played middle school ball for your local team than kids just couldn't pop up from Ohio Texas and were they can find a d1 player to fill in spots they need that player or put all the private schools in one class . Kinda funny these big school never do no good in middle school than when the kids hit high school they turn into d 1 players must just fall out the sky...
If you are holding back a kid because of grades they should not be playing extracurricular activities if they are struggling to pass. Just a thought, we may want our kid to be a part of the team but if the kid can not pass school work he needs to focus on getting better grades. More kids will go to college on scholarship for academics than athletics. Lets face it, if you need to hold you kid back due to grades, then get the grades up and then let him play.
Just a thought.
Oh and hearing a 7th grader getting a 16th birthday wish over the loud speaker at the middle school state championship game a couple of years ago was JusT TOO FUNNY.
If there are any questions regarding the effect of holdbacks, check out the D2 Championship CAL VS Belfry on iHigh. That CAL team was undefeated in 2 years.
Belfry...an 8 seed....really????
RamPride Wrote:If you are holding back a kid because of grades they should not be playing extracurricular activities if they are struggling to pass. Just a thought, we may want our kid to be a part of the team but if the kid can not pass school work he needs to focus on getting better grades. More kids will go to college on scholarship for academics than athletics. Lets face it, if you need to hold you kid back due to grades, then get the grades up and then let him play.
Just a thought.
Oh and hearing a 7th grader getting a 16th birthday wish over the loud speaker at the middle school state championship game a couple of years ago was JusT TOO FUNNY.

What was kids name? Who they play for? Seriously that is ridiculous for a 16 year old to be playing in 7th grade game. Come on you really need to tell. That means this player will be playing as a 21 year old senior. That's just not right. There have been good crowds at the Championship games, someone else had to hear this and report it. Come on people spill the beans :please:
Hold on guys little johnny can still be a middle school all American because you can stiil hold him back in elementary school. Dont worry you can still have your advantage because Louisville and Lexington schools will never all holdbacks. Man, for all you guys that bi-ch and moan about everybody elses sour grapes you seem pretty upset for some reason. The KHSAA is still gonna protect your right to have a yr advantage at middle school sports so calm down you can still play with your football and make the rules.
I heard started this year. if you stay back in grade school, you wont be able to play your SR year. all sports. have anyone else heard this.
No age wise i f they are eligible they are eligible. Otherwise kids who fail one grade would not be eligible either.
Maybe it's called developing your players. If all you care about is getting a middle school championship and you structure your world around that, then you reap what you sow.
BIG RN Wrote:No age wise i f they are eligible they are eligible. Otherwise kids who fail one grade would not be eligible either.

but how many of these kids fail. most of them make A, B or C. if they didn't they wont be play sports either ways. they have to keep at less a 2.0 GPA to play sports in most school.
I'm not going to join in on the never-ending debate on "holdbacks" simply because there is no issue. The KHSAA set the age limit and cutoff date at the age of 19 before August 1st of a players senior year so the KMSFA backed that down 4 years for 8th graders and 7th graders. I will say that I've been at every KMSFA state championship game and I have no idea what the "16 year old 7th grader birthday wish over the loud speaker" comment meant. All rosters are verified with a teams registration and players are checked when entering the complex in Lexington.

The other comment that I will make is relative to middle school success translating to high school. The KMSFA monitors this every year and take for example last season, of the final 12 teams in the state playoffs, 8 were fed by KMSFA middle schools. Of the final 24, there were 18. That being said, I would suggest there is a strong case that the KMSFA organizing middle school football most certainly had translated since we began this in 2008. I would point to the current Bowling Green team and their defeat of St. X a couple weeks ago as another success story. Again, just my 2 cents. I will let you all go back to your debate.

JTB
It is what it is. I am a middle school coach, and even though I do not like the fact that this happening, there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. So I choose to just keep coaching my kids to the best of my ability and to abide by the rules that will be set forth by the KHSAA.
ralphie Wrote:It is what it is. I am a middle school coach, and even though I do not like the fact that this happening, there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. So I choose to just keep coaching my kids to the best of my ability and to abide by the rules that will be set forth by the KHSAA.

What are the changes that affect the Middle School football? Is the no holdback playing the only major change?
Was there an oct 31 report? Did anything change for next season ?
The major difference is the "not playing during a holdback year" now is in affect for middle school sports as well. Regardless the reason or age. This now includes grades 8, 7 and 6
CCRebels Wrote:The major difference is the "not playing during a holdback year" now is in affect for middle school sports as well. Regardless the reason or age. This now includes grades 8, 7 and 6
ACTUALLY IT WAS DECIDED AT THE LAST PUBLIC HEARING MEETING ON THE ISSUE TO OMIT THE LANGUAGE REGARDING PLAYING WHILE REPEATING A GRADE DUE TO KIDS POSSIBLY HAVING TO REPEAT A GRADE DUE TO A DISABILITY. THEY ARE REQUIRING SCHOOL DISTRICTS TO HAVE AN AGE POLICY WHICH MOST ALREADY HAVE. PER THE FINAL KAR YOU CAN PLAY IF YOU ARE REPEATING A GRADE.
PLEASE SEE LINK http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/kar/702/007/065.htm
So nothing happened ha
JCEAGLE1 Wrote:ACTUALLY IT WAS DECIDED AT THE LAST PUBLIC HEARING MEETING ON THE ISSUE TO OMIT THE LANGUAGE REGARDING PLAYING WHILE REPEATING A GRADE DUE TO KIDS POSSIBLY HAVING TO REPEAT A GRADE DUE TO A DISABILITY. THEY ARE REQUIRING SCHOOL DISTRICTS TO HAVE AN AGE POLICY WHICH MOST ALREADY HAVE. PER THE FINAL KAR YOU CAN PLAY IF YOU ARE REPEATING A GRADE.
PLEASE SEE LINK http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/kar/702/007/065.htm

Students repeating a grade in grades Six (6) through Eight (8)
Beginning with the 2014-2015 school year, any student repeating a grade for any reason in grades 6-8 will be ineligible to participate in middle school interscholastic athletics; and
During the 2013-2014 school year, the KHSAA is to ensure that all forms of communication efforts are utilized to inform the middle schools in the state of this coming restriction.

http://khsaa.org/42313-changes-approved-...athletics/
Guess we won't see a whole team of 3rd year middle school 15yr. olds beating the snot out of a bunch of 13-14 yr. olds as much in the future. LOL