Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tubby's fall from northern grace
Will someone please tell us why in the hell are we even talking about Tubby Smith anyways!!!! If he not at UK which last time I checked coach cal was there, who cares what tubby has done.. If you take a pole I bet over 75% of the people could care less about tubby or what he's doing or done!
Tubby is the best!
FBALL Wrote:Tubby is the best!

I would like some of the koolaid your on you like tubby and hated Petrino you must like losing.
Tubby is a good college coach, not a great one, Same for Calipari. Difference is Tubby is an average recruiter while Calipari is off the chart.
insideinfo Wrote:I would like some of the koolaid your on you like tubby and hated Petrino you must like losing.

You get nothing. Hated is the wrong word. I still do not like the scumbag, his actions or anything about him. You must like morally depraved narcissists.

Hail to Tubby!
Aww dont get so bent out of shape, Observing. Smile a little bit. Maybe we'll see once and for all how great of a coach Lord Cal is (with the #1 recruiting class coming into this year) when he and Tubby face each other in the NIT. Wretched? Nobody gets as sick as I do coming into basketball season hearing about Cal's championship freshmen, and this year was no different. D9NASTY. Championship contenders. Preseason #3. This UK team wasnt even competitive at Florida and lost to a 13-10 Tennessee by THIRTY. And Tubby's overrated? You all can sing Cal's praises all you want but the job he's done with this team this year is nothing more than mediocre, IF you want to be kind. UK on the bubble with a preseason #3 team, and you start a thread bashing Tubby out of nowhere? C'mon now..HE'S the reason UK has struggled this year, right? Im not even a Tubby fan, nor am I a UK fan, but I know 99% of the teams in college basketball that would take 26-8 every season. Hell, your 2013 Cats would take 26-8 this year.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
panther nation Wrote:I would say watching a tubby coached team is a boring as watching paint dry.

It was the reason his teams lost to bad competetion come tourney time.
His teams couldnt push the ball and cut deficits.

His offense took almost the entire shot clock to develop.
panther nation Wrote:Will someone please tell us why in the hell are we even talking about Tubby Smith anyways!!!! If he not at UK which last time I checked coach cal was there, who cares what tubby has done.. If you take a pole I bet over 75% of the people could care less about tubby or what he's doing or done!

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Spewed diet coke all over the place when I read this!! I don't know why it struck me so funny!
Observing Wrote:Historically the Big 10 has been one of the best conferences.
This year they are doubtless the best, though not so
far above as many seem to think. And last year they made
some progress back toward the poiint they are now. But
the 2-3 years prior to that, the Big 10 STUNK ON ICE.
But for some reason the media only seemed to notice that about
the SEC, and to an extent the ACC.

Since 1889 one Big 10 teams has won it all. 3 diffterent SEC schools have won in that time. Indiana, Michigan, Michigan St, and Ohio State have made it to big dance since 1990. Michigan 2 times, michigan state 2 times, IU and OSU one time each.

I agree that they are one of the best conferences. I would say the SEC and the big 10 are about even.
I'm in love with Tawnya.. hehe..

Tom is not my friend....

if you have any questions send me a p.m.
Observing Wrote:Aside from the fact that that's just WEAK, did you happen to look
at those 20 wins? did you happen to see that in 6 years he's been above
.500 exactly ONCE in big 10 play, in a year when the Big 10 was awful.

Tubby is like water, he seeks his level, and that level is MEDIOCRITY
with a dash of ineptitude in some areas. That's why we underwent
a steady decline under him to the point of becoming irrelevant.
I'm so thankful he left when he did, but sometimes I almost wish
he'd stayed one more year so the enshuing losing recordand non
NIT year might finally have penetrated through the thick skulls
of his apologists.

Did you happen to see when they only won 9 games before Tubby took over they also played in the Big 10? Do you happen to know 20 is more than twice as many as 9?
Tubby is no longer here. Let us look at what we presently have. Cal won 1 title so far. Pitino, Joe B, Cal and Tubby have the same number of titles. Everyone blames the injury as the reason Pitino didnt win in 1997. I blame injury on Tubby not winning the title the year that Bogans got hurt.
Observing Wrote:Had Tubby never lived or breathed Pitino would have his
championship. Had Pitino never existed, it's doubtful Tubby
would ever have gotten a D-1 job.
What role did Pitino play in Tubby landing the D-1 head coaching jobs at Tulsa and Georgia????
panther nation Wrote:Tubby was one the the worst coaches in UK history the only coach that was worse was billy Clyde and the only reason he was worse was cause he just could not coach he could recruit good but that's it. Tubbys lone championship came only because anyone could have coached that team. All anyone had to do with that team was just set there and watch they didn't need any coaching. Ricky P had taken care of all the coaching they needed.

Tubby was a joke at UK!!!!!! And now he's a joke at Minn.
Once a fool always a fool.
Where is Billy Clyde now? Rehab?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Everybody is a racist when they dislike a coach whos black....Same way with Obama. You were a racist if you didnt vote for him, and so on.
Funny thing is, Joker was so bad there was no excuse Confusednicker: Everybody ended up agreeing with me on that one.

you knew i was being sarcastic
Hoot Gibson Wrote:What role did Pitino play in Tubby landing the D-1 head coaching jobs at Tulsa and Georgia????

Pitino hired Tubby as an assistant HERE. Being on Pitino's staff
is what got him an opportunity to get a top job at Tulsa. And sadly
got him his job here without any real evaluation of his coaching.
LWC Wrote:Tubby is no longer here. Let us look at what we presently have. Cal won 1 title so far. Pitino, Joe B, Cal and Tubby have the same number of titles. Everyone blames the injury as the reason Pitino didnt win in 1997. I blame injury on Tubby not winning the title the year that Bogans got hurt.

Hmm, you blame Boggan's injury which was on the mend and had him
back to about 75%, for UK getting blown out by a Marquette team
the subsequently got SMOKED by 33 points for Tubby not winning
the title? DREAM ON. At least losing to Marq. prevented the embarassment
from coming in the FF before a much bigger audience.
LWC Wrote:Tubby is no longer here. Let us look at what we presently have. Cal won 1 title so far. Pitino, Joe B, Cal and Tubby have the same number of titles. Everyone blames the injury as the reason Pitino didnt win in 1997. I blame injury on Tubby not winning the title the year that Bogans got hurt.

BTW, do you not see at least a LITTLE DIFFERENCE between losing a top player who doesn't come back at all, and falling in OT in the TITLE game
or having a top player be a little limited and getting run off the court by
a team that went on to get beaten worse by a team that didn't win the
title?

The first scenario is a pretty credible excuse, the 2nd is W E A K !!!
panther nation Wrote:Will someone please tell us why in the hell are we even talking about Tubby Smith anyways!!!! If he not at UK which last time I checked coach cal was there, who cares what tubby has done.. If you take a pole I bet over 75% of the people could care less about tubby or what he's doing or done!

This is a college basketball forum. UMinn is a college basketball team,
Tubby is called by some a college basketball coach.

But hey thanks, I hadn't realized til now that I had this fantastic
mind control ability to force you to read or reply to this post.
Now I just have to concentrate on using my powers for good not evil
Observing Wrote:Pitino hired Tubby as an assistant HERE. Being on Pitino's staff
is what got him an opportunity to get a top job at Tulsa. And sadly
got him his job here without any real evaluation of his coaching.
Tubby was a very experienced assistant coach when he arrived at Kentucky - that is why Pitino hired him. Two years as a Pitino assistant did not make or break Smith's career. Tubby rebuilt Tulsa's program and led the team to two Sweet 16 appearances and then led Georgia to its first back to back 20 win seasons ever. Pitino was not on the sideline for any of those games.

You guys that think Tubby is a horrible coach and/or sang the praises of Billy Clyde Gillispie when he was hired kill me. :biglmao:

Tubby's only fault is that he is a lousy recruiter. His teams have always won more games than their talent suggests that they should. With all that being said, if the Gophers played Kentucky this weekend, my guess is that Smith would find a way to go home with a win. This is a very athletic UK team but the players lack fundamental basketball skills and Coach Cal has more selfish players than any good team should.
Westside Wrote:Did you happen to see when they only won 9 games before Tubby took over they also played in the Big 10? Do you happen to know 20 is more than twice as many as 9?

Did you happen to know that when you're at the bottom, there's
no place to go but up? Do you happen to see that when you
hire a coach and claim he's a Hall of Famer to be, and pay him top
money, you should expect more than .500 or losing records in
your conference? Did you happen to see that the first year
in 5 that he's there and the conference is actually half way decent
he goes 6-12? From your post I'm guessing not.
Well all the Tubby foolishness has been rehashed by the foolblind apologists
that even now still try to defend his inetptitude. And as I always do, I rebut
them in detail.

But the actual gist of this post was not to bash Tub around some more,
but instead to point out the HILARITY of the folks in Minnesota now
complaining about the EXACT SAME ISSUES that were revealed here.
And it took them only 6 short years to realize that he was a coaching
mediocrity that lacked the ability to build anything resembling a
contending team.

A wise man learns from his mistakes, and a truly wise man learns from
the mistakes of others. Most Minnesotans must not be wise men.
Observing Wrote:Well all the Tubby foolishness has been rehashed by the foolblind apologists
that even now still try to defend his inetptitude. And as I always do, I rebut
them in detail.

But the actual gist of this post was not to bash Tub around some more,
but instead to point out the HILARITY of the folks in Minnesota now
complaining about the EXACT SAME ISSUES that were revealed here.
And it took them only 6 short years to realize that he was a coaching
mediocrity that lacked the ability to build anything resembling a
contending team.

A wise man learns from his mistakes, and a truly wise man learns from
the mistakes of others. Most Minnesotans must not be wise men.
The ineptitude that I am seeing here is an attempt to place Tubby Smith and Billy Gillispie on the same level. Tubby is one of a very small group of coaches to have taken three different teams to the NCAA Sweet Sixteen and he has a national title under his belt. You might want to take a look at Minnesota's RPI and then look way down the list at where Kentucky ranks. The Golden Gophers may not get an NCAA bid, but right now their chances look better than Kentucky's do.
Observing Wrote:Did you happen to know that when you're at the bottom, there's
no place to go but up? Do you happen to see that when you
hire a coach and claim he's a Hall of Famer to be, and pay him top
money, you should expect more than .500 or losing records in
your conference? Did you happen to see that the first year
in 5 that he's there and the conference is actually half way decent
he goes 6-12? From your post I'm guessing not.

By reading your posts one would think Tubby is at the bottom. Face it. He's a good coach.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:The ineptitude that I am seeing here is an attempt to place Tubby Smith and Billy Gillispie on the same level. Tubby is one of a very small group of coaches to have taken three different teams to the NCAA Sweet Sixteen and he has a national title under his belt. You might want to take a look at Minnesota's RPI and then look way down the list at where Kentucky ranks. The Golden Gophers may not get an NCAA bid, but right now their chances look better than Kentucky's do.

Beyond silly. making a Tubby/BCG comparison wasn't involved here.
And it's just not apt anyway. Strictly from coaching BCG showed
in one short year he was a better teacher than Tubby, witness
Bradley and Crawford. But he was a NUTCASE that Tubby certainly
wan't.

As for comparing UMinn and Uk this season, also a totally false
paradigm. Tub's team is EXACTLY what Cal's critics keep harping on:
a deep, veteran squad. Yet as always under Tub they are falling off
the map, and have slim hopes of making the NCAA.

Cal on the other hand has a thin, inexperienced squad that lost
it's best, most important player and is still fighting to get in,
though the odds are long now. And just knowing Cal's record and
Tub's, UK has a better shot.
Westside Wrote:By reading your posts one would think Tubby is at the bottom. Face it. He's a good coach.

No he's not a good coach. He can't teach the game, he doesn't recruit well, and he accepts almost no accountability always throwing his team under
the bus. That is NOT what makes up a good coach.FACE REALITY.
Observing Wrote:No he's not a good coach. He can't teach the game, he doesn't recruit well, and he accepts almost no accountability always throwing his team under
the bus. That is NOT what makes up a good coach.FACE REALITY.
I do not want to face the same reality that you apparently do lol.
Panther Thunder Wrote:I do not want to face the same reality that you apparently do lol.

My advice, stay drunk. There's only one reality.
Observing Wrote:Beyond silly. making a Tubby/BCG comparison wasn't involved here.
And it's just not apt anyway. Strictly from coaching BCG showed
in one short year he was a better teacher than Tubby, witness
Bradley and Crawford. But he was a NUTCASE that Tubby certainly
wan't.

As for comparing UMinn and Uk this season, also a totally false
paradigm. Tub's team is EXACTLY what Cal's critics keep harping on:
a deep, veteran squad. Yet as always under Tub they are falling off
the map, and have slim hopes of making the NCAA.

Cal on the other hand has a thin, inexperienced squad that lost
it's best, most important player and is still fighting to get in,
though the odds are long now. And just knowing Cal's record and
Tub's, UK has a better shot.
No, UK does not have a better shot. Minnesota has a top 15 RPI rank. UK ranks in the mid-40s despite playing most of the season with Noel. Without Noel, Kentucky may need a win over Florida to clinch a bid because of its extremely weak schedule, lack of quality wins. and absence of Noel from the lineup. Tubby needs one quality win and the Gophers will probably be in - and he will have more opportunities to get that win because of the number of ranked teams in the Big 10.

may get in and Minnesota may not, but Kentucky is facing much longer odds without Noel. If either or neither get into the tournament, it will not be because either team has a horrible coach. Terrible coaches do not win national championships or take teams like UMass or Tulsa deep into the NCAA tournament.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:No, UK does not have a better shot. Minnesota has a top 15 RPI rank. UK ranks in the mid-40s despite playing most of the season with Noel. Without Noel, Kentucky may need a win over Florida to clinch a bid because of its extremely weak schedule, lack of quality wins. and absence of Noel from the lineup. Tubby needs one quality win and the Gophers will probably be in - and he will have more opportunities to get that win because of the number of ranked teams in the Big 10.

may get in and Minnesota may not, but Kentucky is facing much longer odds without Noel. If either or neither get into the tournament, it will not be because either team has a horrible coach. Terrible coaches do not win national championships or take teams like UMass or Tulsa deep into the NCAA tournament.

UK has winnable games against Mizzou, MSU, Ark and UGA.
ANd an upper 4 place finish in the SEC will likely net them a
decent chance to get a win or 2 in the SEC tourney.
UMinn has a likely loss to IU and at Purdue and a likely
1st rd exit from the Big 10. It's a tough road for either,
but I'd take my chances with Cal and his position over
Tubby.

And "terrible" is too extreme an adjective for Tubby.
But it's nearer the mark than "good".
Observing Wrote:UK has winnable games against Mizzou, MSU, Ark and UGA.
ANd an upper 4 place finish in the SEC will likely net them a
decent chance to get a win or 2 in the SEC tourney.
UMinn has a likely loss to IU and at Purdue and a likely
1st rd exit from the Big 10. It's a tough road for either,
but I'd take my chances with Cal and his position over
Tubby.

And "terrible" is too extreme an adjective for Tubby.
But it's nearer the mark than "good".
I am a Kentucky fan but I really hate Calipari's reliance on so-called one-and-dones. Tubby is a great teacher. Calipari is a great recruiter. An ideal coach would be a hybrid of the two. We won't really know how good of a coach Calipari is until the NCAA decides to stop serving as the real NBA development league.