Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is cheerleading really a sport? Honestly?
somebody please humor me!:Cheerlead
It cleary is they put time and effort just like we do and it just isnt as physical and as good as any other sport?
Mountain man 14 im ashamed in you.... i thought you was for the people on here the nice guy... i use to be a cheerleader its harder than u think.. we scream and cheer for u all when ur winning or when ur lossing i think u should give cheerleaders more credit.. u probably think its just a bunch of girls wasting time but they practice as hard as you do!
ANYTHING with competition is considered sport! Thus, since cheerleading engages competition, similar to gymnastics, then without a doubt, cheerleading is a sport! Everyone gets hung up on the team spirit done on the sidelines of games and when asked if it is sport, that is the only thing that they reference. However, cheerleading is distinguished by their competitions.
Cheerleading is classified by the NCAA and NFHS as an "activity".
Some states label it as a "sporting activity".

I don't know if any states have it as a "sport" or not.

I could be wrong about the NCAA - but I remember some school getting reprimanded for docking it's volleyball program and removing males from the cheerleading squads in an attempt to comply with Title IX. The NCAA said they had to keep their volleyball program or get rid of football because cheerleading wasn't an official sport.
Federal court rules once and for all that cheerleading is not a real sport

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/prep-prep-...24994.html

Now there is an official response to that debate: Cheerleading is not a sport, at least in the opinion of the federal courts.
As reported by the Associated Press, the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, based in Hartford, ruled that Quinnipiac University's attempt to classify the school's cheerleading squad as a varsity team sport was not valid, because as of 2010 cheerleading did not reach "the level of a varsity sport." Quinnipiac's drive to have cheerleading declared a varsity sport was an open attempt to remain in compliance with Title IX regulations while eliminating the school's women's volleyball program.
Title IX is a joke, always has been.
I dont care as long as they never mess with football.
I do know for a fact that when my daughter was a cheerleader that they put alot of time into it just like any other sport. Regardless of the label, they work hard.
Cheer leading is definitely a sport and a life style!!
Granted they do put alot of work into it i just dont think its a sport...
Anything that is decided by a judge, or someones opinion, is not a sport. This includes ice skating, snowboarding, boxing(if no KO) and anything else that is not decided by the participants head to head.
An emphatic yes!
it's competition
I've been around and witnessed enough of it to call it a sport regardless of a court ruling. Cheer athletes put in the time and hard work and do so just as much as any other sport. Cheerleaders are some of the best athletes in the world. Next time you are at a UK game, take a minute to watch the cheer team perform. They will do things that 99.9% of the population cannot. Cheerleading has a higher risk of high impact than most sports. Look up the statistics sometime. Heck, I would argue it is more of a sport than NASCAR.
Cheerleaders are athletes but cheerleading is not a sport. Do they keep score on the side lines? do they have a winner and loser after cheering at a game?
NO because who wants to watch people do uninteresting things just like Cross Country
take away Football, Basketball, and any other sports that they cheer for. would there be cheerleading.
Cheerleading is an activity not a sport.
Cheerleading is indeed a sport.
Mountain man 14 Wrote:somebody please humor me!:Cheerlead

of course it's a sport.
mason Wrote:Anything that is decided by a judge, or someones opinion, is not a sport. This includes ice skating, snowboarding, boxing(if no KO) and anything else that is not decided by the participants head to head.

gymnastics? figure skating?
Bear1997 Wrote:NO because who wants to watch people do uninteresting things just like Cross Country

cheerleaders are very interesting :biggrin:
I would consider cheerleaders athletes but I don't know about it being a sport.
Admin of Kentuckynerd.com
Please come listen to the podcast and read some articles.
Ball game cheering is not a sport in my opinion. However, when they compete in competitions, that is a sport. Just my opinion.
yes, it requires sportsmanship as well =)
I totally agree.. Sideline cheering is not a sport but the competitions where they flip and stuff is a sport for sure
jumpshooter Wrote:Ball game cheering is not a sport in my opinion. However, when they compete in competitions, that is a sport. Just my opinion.

so you are saying cheerleading in 99% of Kentucky is not a sport. anything below level 5 cheerleading isn't a sport. that is way, college go after the girls on level 5 cheer team first.
Most high school basketball games you go to. The best athletes in the gym are the cheerleaders.
No
I would bet anyone that the best athlete in your high school will be a cheerleader!
Cheerleaders will put in more time and practice than any sport in our building.
I want you to walk in Pikeville High School and find the cheer sponsor and ask her that question. Wear a helmet and duck. Yes it’s a sport, those girls practice year round and more injuries occur more in cheer then in football. If golf is a sport cheer is definitely a sport.