• 1(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Church 101
In light of recent events and a departure from bgr the holy spirit introduces you to the Church 101 thread...have a testimony to share? a great hymn or new tune that moved you whether in church or in your car, share it...a message your pastor impacted for better or worse, share it....something you learned in small group, share it...

Consider Church 101 an open minded, open hearted avenue to share your walk with others whether a believer or not. By all means I am no religuous stalwart. If folks want to start breaking down doctrine let's agree to open threads to accomadate need.

Please note, not sure where this thread may go and have a few requests: respect one another, don't ridicule, show gratitude and share hope....life is complicated enough, let's lift each other up rather than break each other down.

"For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them." - Matthew 18:20

I have witnessed some great prayers and response to people in need on bgr...it only seems right to start a prayer request thread. Please let me know if you would like to volunteer time to pray, or take part in a prayer chain.

I'll share first in a moment with a message placed on my heart yesterday.

Thanks for your time and attention. Let's put this thread at Gods feet and see where it goes. Father God, thank you for this day and your blessings...we simply ask that your will be done in this thread as it is in heaven, that you guide our actions and enable us to surrender to your will not ours, that we our selfless, open minded, and lift up our fellow man and woman. In your precious son Jesus name we pray. Amen!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
Gratitude and hope was the message yesterday at church. The message was well received...one would think there doesn't seem to be a lot of either concept, hope or being thankful enjoyed these days. There's a lot of gratitude and hope. Look for the folks that are smiling " for the right reasons ." Listen for the people that whistle, and those that laugh with love in their heart ( yes GUT..macho man card is in the safe for nowWink ).

It was the motivation to begin this thread. Let's hope we all are thankful in the months ahead, that this thread was started in the first place.

Please share away...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Mahatma Gandhi
Thank you for taking up this task that the Lord laid upon you. The timing is wonderful as well since Deathstar 80 chose to step away from the forum and he was someone who tried to help me with things like this.

I'll post some things later. Just wanted to say thank you.

Also, if you have private matters that you would like to speak about, PM me and we can chat there or I can give you my number and you can give me a call.
Your welcome LWC...I'll pm you tomorrow to touchbase and share ideas.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Mahatma Gandhi
Hebrews 10:25
King James Version (KJV)
25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

I love the idea of this thread. This is one of my favorite scriptures. May we always be able to come together with our brothers and sisters in Christ no matter where it is that we may go to church and be able to help each other when in need. May we always be able to lift one another up to our Lord and Savior in prayer when needed. May God bless you all.
Search for the Lord and for his strength; continually seek him.

Chronicles 16:11

:Thumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Mahatma Gandhi
The very first thing that came to my mind is the prayer request posted for the Somerset players that were injured in a car accident after football practice early in the year. We were all bantering and fussing with each other, then all of a sudden, I believe it was Rojas or JumperDad...SOMEBODY, posted what had happened and a requst for prayer. Pictures of that terrible accident soon followed. The responses were both humbling and incredible. Coincidently enough, a poster here on BGR came online and said that his/her daughter was one of the flight nurses involved in their transport...my daughter was the other flight nurse involved. I know that I'm biased, but I knew that the boys would get to their hospitals alive...my daughter is the best trauma nurse that I have ever seen, and I have seen many. (used to be one myself)
I'm not sure how many answers to that request were ultimately offered, but each and every one appeared to me to be genuine and heartfelt. I have seen as recently as last week, people asking about how those kids are doing. And as I understand it, they are all fine!! What a blessing.
The other thing that sticks in my mind is LWC's response when I asked him about denominatinalism. If I remember correctly (and I do), denominations make him sad.
To be so young, he has his ducks in a row, I think. Older in wisdom and maturity than his years.

There have been other prayer requests posted, another that I remember is when Coach Creech's baby was born premature. Patriot had posted a request for prayer for her and the family. Again, the response was overwhelming.

I just am a little surprised and very glad that folks can put away their banter over an "important" football game, and realize what really is important in life. Miracles do happen!
" At any given moment, or every moment, you have the power to say this is not how the story is going to end. "

"Forgive others not because they deserve forgiveness, but because you deserve peace."

- Chris Cade ( you'll see a picture of him with his son wrapped around his neck )

*you can go to Chris Cades facebook page and ,"like" it to receive weekly positive messages..... Enjoy!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Mahatma Gandhi
Granny bear , at one point you mention denominations. I for one do no like them either. The bible tells us there is one church and that is the church Jesus Christ. Now I didn't say the church if Christ or freewill or united or Pentecost or whatever other church there is. As long as we have opened our hearts to our lord and savior Jesus Christ and let him come in and our sins have been washed clean and thrown into a sea of forgetfulness then you my friend are a Christian. What a PEACE I RECIEVED THE DAY I GAVE MY LIFE TO THE LORD. IT IS THE BEST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED TO ME. WE ARE ALL GODS CHILDREN AND AS LONG AS WE LIVE RIGHT AND DO THE BEST WE CAN AND KEEP OUR SMALL HAND IN GODS BIG HAND, then no matter what church you may go to, we will all be together in HEAVEN.
Skully, I firmly believe that I don't have a right or authority to tell YOU what to believe...
However, I will share what I have been convicted to believe. I think the "church" is the body of Christ, and we make up the portions of that body. We all bring our "talents" to the table; albeit some more than others. And that's okay; as it was the way God has created us. He knows our talents as well as our limitations, as He created them.
Denominationalism, in my opinion, is man's attempt to improve God's original plan. As with most of those kinds of attempts, it will fail. I personally believe denominationalism has done a great deal of harm to God's work.
I encourage anyone to listen to John Mark McMillan music...

a little random, I know lol

He is the musician that originall penned the song "How He Loves" and his songs are very good.
You said it granny when you said it was mans attempt. That's one of the problems that we have in churches now. As Christians we don't want to STAND STILL AND LET GOD MOVE. Most people want it right then when they pray for something. We all have to understand that God will give us what we want when he decides to give it. Granny I can agree with everything you say. The church IS the body of Christ and that includes all churches no matter what denomination it is. I to believe that so many different denominations have hurt Gods work.
I disagree to a point skully (This is where Spirit's debate starts! Smile

To ME, donominationalism is a teaching of tradition and unique beliefs to that kind of group. Certainly, Bible teachings are included, but so are the interpretations of other men. I believe I need to study to show myself approved unto God. If I study correctly, and with an open heart, I believe I will be shown the correct path.
This is just what I am convicted to do....not trying to teach or suggest to anybody else.
^I don't have as much of a problem with different denominations as I do denominationalism. There is a difference. Many times, I have asked the local Christian church, Nazarene church, Baptist church and other churches pastors to come preach for revivals. I have went to other churches to help them in tough times, etc...

People have different preferences about certain things. Some like contemporary music, some like traditional. Some like Spirit-filled shoutin' sermons, some like liturgical and transcripted sermons. There are even churches I read or hear about that have meetings end in cussing matches about carpet color! (What a shame!)

To some extent denominations are okay. However, I do not believe in denominationalism. That is, choosing to shut the doors to others, pointing out differences instead of celebrating similarities, not working together to feed the hungry, clothe the naked and share the Gospel.

I have known of 2-3 tiny churches in different areas get merged to save money on bills and to avoid the churches 'dying out'. Almost everyone in these churches under the age of 90 agreed. They all get together after the paperwork is done and the combined church doesn't last a year until almost everyone leaves. We have proven throughout history that all Christians cannot get together in the same place, in the same heart and in the same accord outside of the clear and present presence of the Holy Spirit. When Jesus comes to call us home, we will worship Him as one in Heaven. 'Every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord!' Until we are in His perfect presence, I do not know if it is possible.

What I do know is that we better work together to share the love of Christ with a lost and dying world and 'take up our cross and follow Him'.

I will close this long post with this warning/truth/hope: No matter what is over the door, the Holy Spirit better be in our hearts. And no matter what is written on the sign outside, the Word of God should be written into our thoughts.
LWC Wrote:^I don't have as much of a problem with different denominations as I do denominationalism. There is a difference. Many times, I have asked the local Christian church, Nazarene church, Baptist church and other churches pastors to come preach for revivals. I have went to other churches to help them in tough times, etc...

People have different preferences about certain things. Some like contemporary music, some like traditional. Some like Spirit-filled shoutin' sermons, some like liturgical and transcripted sermons. There are even churches I read or hear about that have meetings end in cussing matches about carpet color! (What a shame!)

To some extent denominations are okay. However, I do not believe in denominationalism. That is, choosing to shut the doors to others, pointing out differences instead of celebrating similarities, not working together to feed the hungry, clothe the naked and share the Gospel.

I have known of 2-3 tiny churches in different areas get merged to save money on bills and to avoid the churches 'dying out'. Almost everyone in these churches under the age of 90 agreed. They all get together after the paperwork is done and the combined church doesn't last a year until almost everyone leaves. We have proven throughout history that all Christians cannot get together in the same place, in the same heart and in the same accord outside of the clear and present presence of the Holy Spirit. When Jesus comes to call us home, we will worship Him as one in Heaven. 'Every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord!' Until we are in His perfect presence, I do not know if it is possible.

What I do know is that we better work together to share the love of Christ with a lost and dying world and 'take up our cross and follow Him'.

I will close this long post with this warning/truth/hope: No matter what is over the door, the Holy Spirit better be in our hearts. And no matter what is written on the sign outside, the Word of God should be written into our thoughts.
That very last part is what I am trying to get at. It is because if denominations why all Christians can not come together and worship in spirit and in truth. There are so many diff teaching out there that some people can't even talk about the bible without getting into a shouting match and its ridiculous. The church I go to says united baptist but we are not In a conference or association. We are independent and we believe as long as you preach the Word of God and you stay within the lids of the Bible then we will allow you to preach at our church no matter the denomination. But if some preachers come their particular denomination will get mad. This has never happened before but it could and it shouldn't, because we are all Gods children.
Growing up Baptist, lets just say i was a "little" surprised to walk into my wifes Church of God for the first time.

In essence, the two are distinctly different in the way they handle there services, however, both pretty much relay the same message and do teach the same things, they just go about it differently. Thats where the whole tradition thing comes into play i assume.

It's funny how you will always feel the most comfortbale in the church you were brought up in. I still find that to this day.
http://www.jesuschristsavior.net/Beatitudes.html

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Mahatma Gandhi
Spirit100 Wrote:http://www.jesuschristsavior.net/Beatitudes.html

Good post.
Thanks for sharing.

I wonder how this is seen by different people pertaining to the different churches?

I remember after visiting my wifes church and her saying, "theres no difference, look, we have tamborines, you have to be quiet" Confusednicker:
Differences are good Gut...they allows folks to grow especially when we step outside our normal routine to learn more about "what appears" to be so different...many times we discover we have a lot in common. Differences are to be respected, not feared!

I'm fortunate to have crossed many "different church thresholds" and have survived to see another day.Confusednicker:.

Here are some observations I've seen each share:

The enemy lies always and is looking to distract you ( some trolls on bgr can relate...ConfusednickerSmile.

The beauty of Jesus Christ is in his simplicity. He's faithful and he doesn't lie!

Jesus gives us a choice to be real or not. We can honor his will or our own.

Gods motivation is love.

Jesus Christ never brings you to a battle you cannot win...he wants you to know what it means to be a son or daughter of God who worships in spirit and truth!

More to follow at a later date...please share your own experience of crossing a new and different threshold and what you learned from it ( keep it on a God honoring foot Wink ).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Mahatma Gandhi
Matthew 6-8 holds so many blessings. Give it a read today, you wont be sorry.
Spirit100 Wrote:Differences are good Gut...they allows folks to grow especially when we step outside our normal routine to learn more about "what appears" to be so different...many times we discover we have a lot in common. Differences are to be respected, not feared!

I'm fortunate to have crossed many "different church thresholds" and have survived to see another day.Confusednicker:.

Here are some observations I've seen each share:

The enemy lies always and is looking to distract you ( some trolls on bgr can relate...ConfusednickerSmile.

The beauty of Jesus Christ is in his simplicity. He's faithful and he doesn't lie!

Jesus gives us a choice to be real or not. We can honor his will or our own.

Gods motivation is love.

Jesus Christ never brings you to a battle you cannot win...he wants you to know what it means to be a son or daughter of God who worships in spirit and truth!

More to follow at a later date...please share your own experience of crossing a new and different threshold and what you learned from it ( keep it on a God honoring foot Wink ).

You have know idea how passionately I agree with this, Spirit100!! The bolded part is a little misleading to me personally. I feel I must allow God to determine what a "victory" is; I will win the battle but sometimes I'm not smart enough to know that. This is all 20/20 in hindsight!!

I almost know those scriptures by heart LWC. To me, there's a great deal of meaning in those passages about helping others!! I don't retain reading very well and find that I cannot remember what I've read until I read it a couple of times; those particuliar passages I have read dozens of times.
You gotta watch Granny.
Last time i seen her she had her snakes out waving them at me Confusednicker:

Might make the papers one day :biggrin:
You forget how old I am!!
I distinctly remember watching my grandfather do just that.

I was never "moved" to pick up a rattlesnake. NOT judging this at all, but if you ever see me pick one up, you will know that God told me to do it.
Be on guard. Stand firm in the faith. Be courageous. Be strong. And do everything with love.

1 Corinthians 16:13

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Mahatma Gandhi
Granny Bear Wrote:You forget how old I am!!
I distinctly remember watching my grandfather do just that.

I was never "moved" to pick up a rattlesnake. NOT judging this at all, but if you ever see me pick one up, you will know that God told me to do it.

What happened to that Snake Man show, is it still on?
Yuk!!
I never heard of it let alone watched it!!

I really worry about you sometimes!!
Confusednicker:
^
Snakeman of Appalachia.

Look it up Confusednicker:
I googled it; watched a video on his site.
First time I've ever seen him.
Won't watch him again!!!
Therefore, put on every piece of God's armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm.

Ephesians 6:13

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Mahatma Gandhi
Granny Bear Wrote:I googled it; watched a video on his site.
First time I've ever seen him.
Won't watch him again!!!

Confusednicker:
  • 1(current)
  • Next