Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Middle School teams '12
I've coached on all levels below college and I haven't seen a Jr high team this good in years. If Paintsville can overcome a 3 hour bus trip and play their best game I don't see anyone beating them. The only scores they've had against them have come when the subs are in. They play solid defense and have an efective balanced offense.
Union 8th started out really strong, but has seemed kind of flat since Twenhoffel walked out of a beating in the 4th Q in late Aug. They outscored opponents like 139 to 6 the first 4 games. Since then, nothing that impressive playing decent OH and IN schools. #3 seed was probably generous, but only NKY school representing. (Should be noted that Union also has an everybody plays rule, not 12-14 special stars on every down, both ways. You'll usually see 99% of the team on the field at some point in the game, and for more than a play or two.)

Union 7th are real good. Would not be surprised to see them in the finals.

I wouldn't say CovCath manhandled the 8th grade Raiders by any means (1 touchdown and would have been closer w/out stupid penalties. TD called back, as I recall) CovCath was good, but some of the players didn't look like the 7th graders we played last season and were likely motivated by revenge for a whomping as 7th graders last year.

I thought Corbin was a really good team and decent yardstick for NKY vs SKY football. Union only lost to them by 3pts this year, compared to 3+ touchdowns last season. A marked improvement.

Team did play better last week against Crosby, but still a little off??? Union has some injuries, but if they can turn it up and get back to early form, they could be a serious contender in Region 3. We'll see what happens on 20th with the cold. Not a helper, I suspect.

Seems Union has had a hard time finding games in the local area because they field good, hard hitting teams. This could be a group that puts Ryle back on top of the heap in a couple of years.
Spirit100 Wrote:The athletic directors would tell you otherwise plantman. Let's roll with your idea though.

Provide a few matchups so we better understand what your proposing. I can see NKY teams traveling within two hours to play a team and would like to think other teams would travel to NKY to play.

However, what about a 4-6 hour stretch. Do they choose a nuetral site and split the difference?

Are teams carpooling or taking buses? And will the host site accept donating the gate to pay for expenses ( gas, charter, food )? Some things to consider. As much as we'd like to see this happen, put yourself in the shoes of the school ADs and you'll hear about, liability, $$$, time, and logistics.

Talk with your local AD as will I and we'll compare notes. I welcome your feedback.

You're crazy to not think that each and every middle school in the state shouldn't be in the KYMSFA "State Championship". Why wouldn't they want to spend $250 per team, drive hour upon hour every Saturday when gas is near $4 per gallon to play in a who's strokin' who the hardest for a seed in the playoff?

Middle school games generate a shit ton of money. How could they not afford the travel costs, feeding the student-athletes, and once again, the $250 pay to play fee?

You must be crazy to not want to be part of something this damn special.
Leonidas Wrote:You're crazy to not think that each and every middle school in the state shouldn't be in the KYMSFA "State Championship". Why wouldn't they want to spend $250 per team, drive hour upon hour every Saturday when gas is near $4 per gallon to play in a who's strokin' who the hardest for a seed in the playoff?

Middle school games generate a shit ton of money. How could they not afford the travel costs, feeding the student-athletes, and once again, the $250 pay to play fee?

I would have to say that this is a very bad setup with travel, We leave today for round two and by the end of the day we will have 14 hrs of travel time in two games.This is freakin stupid why punish a child by making them sit on a bus that long then expect them to preform,or the parent that just cant afford to take a 4hr one way drive to watch their kid play.Neutral sites should be a rule not an option
Once again as I said on another post, every time we have put on a tournament in baseball or basketball I have run into the same thing. No matter what they do, some of you will complain. I think they are doing the best they can with the limited funding and knowledge that they have. If you dont like the way it is set up, you dont have to enter. I dont like to spend money for the long travels we are gonna have either. We also have many kids that cant afford meals and all. That is where we as a community step up and find ways to feed the kids and we also car pool and save money on the gas. No one will have to travel any more than we do. 2nd round we went to caldwell which is 1.25 hours one way. We most likely will have to travel to Butler Co in 3rd round, which is 2 hours one way. If we make it to the 4th round, we will have to travel to Louisville area, 3 hours one way. Then if we make it to the big dance, that is I think in Lexington, 3.5 to 4 hours one way. Try to keep things in perspective guys. This is a great learning experience for the kids. My son actually likes going to these other places to play. Think about the experiences they are getting. I can tell you it makes a difference, over the past three seasons our high school has gotten to play 15 games per season, when that is all said and done them boys have played and extra season and a half than most teams. That makes juniors more like seniors. Think about that before you decide that this is not worth our time.
Yeah- Cov Cath 8th beat them pretty handily actually. They only have @ 4 kids who start both ways and even then they get subbed out fairly often. The everybody plays thing is a great rule when you only have 25 kids and almost all of them are very good like Union.
Yes those were the exact same kids that Union played as 7th graders- and yes, they were motivated by the game from last year. A game where it was two weeks into the season & none of those boys had ever played together & half had never played football before. They just beat Turkeyfoot in convincing fashion 32-14 to win the NKMSFL Large school division championship.
Looking forward to seeing this group for years to come starting with next year as Freshmen.
IMHO, i see no way anyone can beat the winner of Southern/Northern game coming up. It's a shame that they are playing so early. This game will be the best game to watch for the tournament as it's proved to be a good game once.
Leonidas Wrote:You're crazy to not think that each and every middle school in the state shouldn't be in the KYMSFA "State Championship". Why wouldn't they want to spend $250 per team, drive hour upon hour every Saturday when gas is near $4 per gallon to play in a who's strokin' who the hardest for a seed in the playoff?

I agree totally, from the standpoint of the players, what's the purpose of playing a whole season, putting forth endless dedication, hard work to in the end have no control of the ability to perform against what's the best in the state and the ulitmate prize of being called "State Champs"

It's going to always cause for team's to say " We coulda, shoulda beat them IF we were in the tournament" and this may be the case. But this tournament is what Middle School football is supposed to be all about. It's no different then what the HIgh School state tournaments are bound to serve, to prove who is the best in the STATE each year.
Not making any predictions on this one except, it will be a battle between very good teams. Southern has had thier number last couple of times they played but you can throw all that out the window. I'm thinking both team will be working hard toward this game. One last thing with 3 teams headed to Paintsville will the last one out turn off the lights...LOL
Now that it has been narrowed down a little bit , how do you place them now ?
D1 ? --- D2 ? --- D3 ?
I know Butler Co. 8th grade is in the division 3 semi finals , what other teams made it
Think its about time to start mentioning belfry middle in the mix of the best in the state. With a solid defense that has kept the number 1,2 and 3 seed in region 4 out of the endzone, its time. Yes the offense does depend on big plays sometimes and special teams but we are averaging over 300 yards rushing per game.
BigMelon63 Wrote:I've coached on all levels below college and I haven't seen a Jr high team this good in years. If Paintsville can overcome a 3 hour bus trip and play their best game I don't see anyone beating them. The only scores they've had against them have come when the subs are in. They play solid defense and have an efective balanced offense.

I guess anybody can look good, if they can play a weak enough schedule:please:
rednblackattack Wrote:Sorry man Mayfield decided to participate this year. Div 3 we just dropped the 2 seed and previously undefeated team in our bracket 30 to 6 in our first 2 playoff games we are outscoring our opponents 74 to 12. Butler county we are coming for you.

Sorry man, I guess Butler didn't get the memo about how good you were.
unbiasedopinions Wrote:Corbin 8th Grade will win the state.

Ten Pin Spare Wrote:Southern Pulaski D1 Champs
Corbin D2 Champs
Somerset Meece D3 Champs
Southern Pulaski 7th Champs

WarriorProud Wrote:southern pulaski WILL win 7th grade easily and they will also win D1 8th grade.

I don't know who wil win, but I do know who will NOT:thatsfunny:
rebel 4 life Wrote:Thanks we will send u a postcard when owen win state in middle school

Are you still going to send me a postcard? Confusedhh:
unbiasedopinions Wrote:Corbin is a strong team. They won't finish behind anyone from what I have seen. Corbin would be a strong contender in D1.
so what does that say about belfry now
Now Willie he did say from what he had seen.I guess he had not seen Belfry . And to say this Belfry's Defense is something special!! 103 points scored and 0 allowed in tournament play.
sory but looks like corbin is out of state man, Belfry all the way
Union Raiders 7th grade has looked decent. They play well as a team and play hard for each other. Hope to have everyone healthy and dressed this weekend.
Belfry had to win a play-in game in addition to beating the 1, 2, and 3 seed. That is impressive. Nice job.
Johnson County Middle 7th grade
i think that one of the best teams is pikeville. they didnt get to play in the state tournament in D3 because of many different reasons but many said if they did play in that they were picked to win.
#40 from south pulaski co. is vey good
Pike County has a lot of good teams and players. Belfry and Pikeville always has great talent!