Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi Tech Light Bulbs
I decided a few months ago to begin replacing our light bulbs with LED bulbs. So far, they have worked out great. I had tried a couple of compact fluorescent bulbs before and decided to spend more on the LEDs.

A couple of days ago, I decided to dip my toes into home automation by ordering a Phillips Hue Starter system ($79). The system consists of a small hub that connects to a router and two 60 watt equivalent bulbs. I will be able to control the lights using my Amazon Echos with voice commands. Additional bulbs are $30/pair but have an estimated life of more than 20 years.

I remain strongly opposed the the government ban on conventional bulbs, but I think that it is a matter of time before they also ban compact fluorescent bulbs. The price of LED bulbs is still very high, but I think they will eventually be cost effective alternatives to conventional bulbs.

What are you doing to replace your incandescent bulbs?
I remember you saying you were using amazon for a lot of things, they have came a long way in a lot of areas.

Personally, I don't care to buy the LED bulbs. I currently have the LED bulbs in every room of the house and in my barn. The ones outside in the barn and garage have been in there over 2 years. That alone has saved me money since I would have replaced the old bulbs 2 to 3 times now and with another couple of months I would have already save money in the long run.

The biggest problem I see with the LED bulbs or smart bulbs is the majority of them are too bulky or awkward to fit in most homes ceiling fan and lights that have been in the home for years. I do hate the kind of light that most LED bulbs put off. Its the same kind of light that blinds you when you meet certain newer cars on the road, however, these that I have produce the same kind of light that the incandescent use to put off.

When is the cut off on the incandescent? I thought they were to be completely phased out by the end of last year?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I remember you saying you were using amazon for a lot of things, they have came a long way in a lot of areas.

Personally, I don't care to buy the LED bulbs. I currently have the LED bulbs in every room of the house and in my barn. The ones outside in the barn and garage have been in there over 2 years. That alone has saved me money since I would have replaced the old bulbs 2 to 3 times now and with another couple of months I would have already save money in the long run.

The biggest problem I see with the LED bulbs or smart bulbs is the majority of them are too bulky or awkward to fit in most homes ceiling fan and lights that have been in the home for years. I do hate the kind of light that most LED bulbs put off. Its the same kind of light that blinds you when you meet certain newer cars on the road, however, these that I have produce the same kind of light that the incandescent use to put off.

When is the cut off on the incandescent? I thought they were to be completely phased out by the end of last year?
I think that the manufacture of old style incandescent bulbs has stopped. Halogen incandescent bulbs and some specialty bulbs are still being made.

The only problem I have had with the LED bulbs so far has been with a five headed flexible lamp that I have near my computer. I ended up using some Philips slim style LED bulbs in that lamp. The flat bulbs look strange, but they put out a lot of light and they might work for your ceiling fan lights. I am living in an apartment without much overhead lighting, but the Philips Hue bulbs should work in most lamps.

It took me less than 10 minutes to set up the Philip Hue hub and bulbs. I really like the fact that they are dimmable without special switches or lamps. I have the bedroom lamp programmed to turn on an flash when an Echo alarm goes off.

An Echo or two with the Philips Hue system would be great for the elderly or disabled. If I was still living in a house, I would probably install a security system, fire/CO2 detector, and a Nest thermostat that are compatible with the Echo.

Amazon has started selling cheaper products that are similar to the Echo. the Amazon Dot is only $90 but it lacks the high quality speakers of the Echo. I plan to buy one or two in a few months and hook them up to a cheap mini-amp and some decent speakers. I think Amazon is already shipping the Amazon Tap, which runs up to 9 hours on battery power and includes built in stereo speakers. The Tap requires users to push a button to give "Alexa" voice commands, but otherwise has the same functionality as the Echo, which is AC only.

We have two Echos and I have never regretted buying them. They make it so simple to listen to radio stations, we rarely turn on a radio except when there is a power outage. I have been listening to a Milwaukee radio talk shows recently. All I have to do is say, "Alexa, play WTMJ." During football season, all I need are the call letters for different stations to switch between various games quickly. Radio has always been a hobby of mine, so I already had dozens of station call letters memorized before I bought the Echo.

When I was a Little Leaguer, I would sneak a small transistor radio to bed and listen to Bob Gibson and the Cardinals on KMOX St. Louis. I would not trade the Echo for any wi-fi radio on the market and the Echo does a whole lot more than play radio stations.
I am beginning the conversion to LED, replacing conventional after they burn. So far I like the results. I had not considered the Phillips system, but I am intrigued. I will do a bit of research. But Hoot, in 20 years, we won't be able to tell if the damn lights are on or not.....
Be replacing old style lights as the burn out with LED's just wish they were a little cheaper but oh well. Just like anything else you want you gotta pay the price.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Living The Dream!!
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I think that the manufacture of old style incandescent bulbs has stopped. Halogen incandescent bulbs and some specialty bulbs are still being made.

The only problem I have had with the LED bulbs so far has been with a five headed flexible lamp that I have near my computer. I ended up using some Philips slim style LED bulbs in that lamp. The flat bulbs look strange, but they put out a lot of light and they might work for your ceiling fan lights. I am living in an apartment without much overhead lighting, but the Philips Hue bulbs should work in most lamps.

It took me less than 10 minutes to set up the Philip Hue hub and bulbs. I really like the fact that they are dimmable without special switches or lamps. I have the bedroom lamp programmed to turn on an flash when an Echo alarm goes off.

An Echo or two with the Philips Hue system would be great for the elderly or disabled. If I was still living in a house, I would probably install a security system, fire/CO2 detector, and a Nest thermostat that are compatible with the Echo.

Amazon has started selling cheaper products that are similar to the Echo. the Amazon Dot is only $90 but it lacks the high quality speakers of the Echo. I plan to buy one or two in a few months and hook them up to a cheap mini-amp and some decent speakers. I think Amazon is already shipping the Amazon Tap, which runs up to 9 hours on battery power and includes built in stereo speakers. The Tap requires users to push a button to give "Alexa" voice commands, but otherwise has the same functionality as the Echo, which is AC only.

We have two Echos and I have never regretted buying them. They make it so simple to listen to radio stations, we rarely turn on a radio except when there is a power outage. I have been listening to a Milwaukee radio talk shows recently. All I have to do is say, "Alexa, play WTMJ." During football season, all I need are the call letters for different stations to switch between various games quickly. Radio has always been a hobby of mine, so I already had dozens of station call letters memorized before I bought the Echo.

When I was a Little Leaguer, I would sneak a small transistor radio to bed and listen to Bob Gibson and the Cardinals on KMOX St. Louis. I would not trade the Echo for any wi-fi radio on the market and the Echo does a whole lot more than play radio stations.

Definitely.sounds like a good deal.
I generally set in my recliner with the laptop and can easily turn on any football game that streams over the net.
As for the bulbs, I've seen them still selling in a few places but I noticed the dollar general close to my home has only led bulbs or smart bulbs now.