Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux
Is anyone else on here running Linux? Just wanting to know who else has the same system as me.
My desktop is configured to dual boot Windows 7 or Ubuntu and I run Mint on one of my laptops. Since I got my Asus Transformer tablet, I am using my other computers much less often.
Ive never ran Mint, how is it? I running Ubuntu exclusively on my primary laptop. My harddrive crapped out on me about 6 months ago and I didnt want to buy windows, so I went with Ubuntu and so far I love it.
My desktop has a dual-boot of Windows 7 and Ubuntu as well.
I love using Linux but I mostly run Windows 7 because a lot of the software I use for recording and mixing my music isn't compatible with my other OS.
Other than browsing that's all I do on my desktop so I'm thinking of just going back to Windows for good.

It's sad....
but I just don't get any use out of that partition lol
You all sound like rocket scientists too me right now. lol
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
NothingTrivial Wrote:Ive never ran Mint, how is it? I running Ubuntu exclusively on my primary laptop. My harddrive crapped out on me about 6 months ago and I didnt want to buy windows, so I went with Ubuntu and so far I love it.
Mint is built on Ubuntu and at one time had a much better looking interface. Ubuntu has really improved over the years and incorporated most of the advantages that I thought Mint offered, so I would probably not fool with Mint if I were doing a new installation.
I recently installed VirtualBox on my Windows 7 desktop. So far, I have set up two virtual servers, one for Fedora 17 64-bit and the other for Fedora 17 32-bit. I plan to buy another Windows license and create a third Windows server.

VirtualBox is a free application that allows you to set up all sorts of virtual desktop machines and servers. What I am going to be using it for is to set up a virtual intranet to test some web applications while isolating them from the internet.

You can also install VirtualBox on a Linux computer and create virtual Windows and Linux machines on it. You can turn virtual machines on and off, network them together, or configure them as servers accessible via the web.

For the money - free - VirtualBox is a handy and fairly easy to use application. It is worth much more and is a great tool to learn about setting up servers and networking them together.
Anyone ever fooled with Ubuntu Server?

I work for IT at a college and I inherited our old email server when we went virtual.
I've booted it with Ubuntu but I haven't decided what to do with it yet.
zaga_fan Wrote:Anyone ever fooled with Ubuntu Server?

I work for IT at a college and I inherited our old email server when we went virtual.
I've booted it with Ubuntu but I haven't decided what to do with it yet.
I have messed around with Ubuntu some. I have used it to host a Lotus Notes/Domino server and as desktop system. I am using Fedora now for my virtual servers and Mint on a laptop. Ubuntu has lost many users to Mint in the past year or so because of changes to its user interface. Ubuntu seems to be targeting the tablet market and their desktop users are not too happy with the changes.
I find Mint and Ubuntu wanting to be too flashy anymore... or maybe its just the cinnamon desktop environment that I don't like. It's just blah, kind of like the Windows 8 Metro start... I hate it but whenever you customize it to what you like its pretty good then.

I like Linux, but as far as gaming goes... It doesn't like to work a-lot of the time. So your always having to dual boot windows anyways to play a game that you might like. Unless the game has been developed for Linux... and Much have been now, whenever steam makes a transition over to Linux we could see a whole new world of awesomeness.

I literally think there are more Linux users than windows 8 right now... which is kind of crazy. People are so afraid of windows 8, which I was pretty skeptical about it also at first... whenever you don't have a start button on the desktop your kind of like wooahhh how do I do this ahhhhh. Whenever you finally get a start button though your like o... ok I know how to work this thing again lol.
I just ordered a Raspberry Pi and peripherals to build a small media center. The RPi is a small (almost credit card sized) Linux computer that sells for $25 to $35. I bought the $35 model, which includes two USB ports, HDMI port, composite video, Ethernet port, and an audio jack. It runs several small distros of Linux and boots from an SD card.

Although the RPi circuit board is cheap, adding bells and whistles like Bluetooth, wi-fi, a powered USB hub, and a wireless keyboard with a trackpad added another $100 or so to the cost. But, for under $150, I will have a computer that is about the size of a deck of cards that can be mounted to a 1080p TV or monitor that can stream video from the web or from any device on my home network. I may add a USB TV tuner and a large USB hard drive, which would allow me to turn it into a DVR.

These computers were designed to allow poor schools to give students cheap computers on which they can learn programming skills in languages like Python and Java but they are becoming popular among hobbyists because of their small size and low cost.

[Image: http://www.adafruit.com/adablog/wp-conte...44_LRG.jpg]
Hoot, I just got my Pi setup as an entertainment system. I went the tv tuner and hard drive route (Had a few laying around totaled up to almost 3tb). Loving everything so far. Are you running XBMC?
NothingTrivial Wrote:Hoot, I just got my Pi setup as an entertainment system. I went the tv tuner and hard drive route (Had a few laying around totaled up to almost 3tb). Loving everything so far. Are you running XBMC?
I set mine up to run XBMC but I was unable to get it to stream some things such as Amazon videos and it seems really slow. I ended up getting an "Android on a stick" and although it has a few flaws of its own, it runs much faster and is better suited for web browsing than the Pi. I still intend to use the two Pi's that I bought for some other projects. I have a laser engraver/cutter and I am considering building something around a Pi for a contest on instructables.com.

If haven't checked recently, but there should be an Ubuntu distro (Picuntu) for the Pi soon, if it has not already been released. I want to try loading that distro and then give the Pi another shot. I think that the Pi has the potential to serve as the core for an internet radio device. I have seen some projects that use low resolution LCD screens designed for small DVD players and car back-up monitor systems paired with the Pi. I would like to have a wireless portable device to play Tunein radio.
(12-18-2011, 02:29 AM)NothingTrivial Wrote: Is anyone else on here running Linux? Just wanting to know who else has the same system as me.

I used to have linux but I like the fact the most programs are made for Windows.