Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are the OFFICIAL rules for tryouts?
So; once you have your tryouts and then have all you summer camps and practices and all.Is it legal to RE-OPEN tryouts AFTER the new school year has already started to allow "those who may have needed a break" to "decide" they really did want to cheer after all?The way I read it you ONLY get a 2 week tryout window and CAN NOT re-open tryouts after school starts for the next season to "up" your numbers.Would someone who KNOWS please respond?
Legal??

Tryouts are completely at the schools discretion and not always posted as a policy. Thus, if there is no policy, then there is nothing to enforce or dispute. It may be bogus if the school opens themselves up to questionable processes, but it's their decision on the "how's" of the process
If it isn't in a school/district policy and procedure manual it is entirely left up to the sponsor.
According to the KAPOS handbook;there is only a 2 week tryout period and that is not long before the dead period.I also read it to say that no more could take place after the school year began and that any more would be considered "inelligible".YES;cheerleading is a sport with rules just like football.I'm just unsure of all of them.
Usually when they reopen tryouts it is to add more members to the squad as some have quit. The current members usually do not have to try out.
I thought cheer leading was not considered a sport? Not trying to get into an athleticism argument here. Just saying technically it wasn't considered a sport a few years ago, did this change?
I dont think cheerleaders are tracked by the khsaa. You never hear of eligible or ineligible cheerleaders for transferring and such.
I would say its gotta be up to the school or sponsor. I dont think anyone could ever come in and tell a cheer leading squad they're not allowed to add/drop a member.

Just out of curiosity, did your kid get bumped because of this?
BOBCAT Wrote:According to the KAPOS handbook;there is only a 2 week tryout period and that is not long before the dead period.I also read it to say that no more could take place after the school year began and that any more would be considered "inelligible".YES;cheerleading is a sport with rules just like football.I'm just unsure of all of them.

According to the KHSAA cheerleading is not a "sport".
It's an "activity".
zaga_fan Wrote:According to the KHSAA cheerleading is not a "sport".
It's an "activity".

definetily not a sport lol
is there a rule book to cheerleading?