Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Position
I have a question about an incoming 8th grader that has always been a Running Back. He has grown 7 inches since last football season and is now 5'11" 160lbs. He just turned 13 a couple of months ago so not sure how big or tall he will get. What position does everyone think would be a good fit?
Send him to Henry Co and let us decide
I would think at 5 11 and 160 he would have the size for linebacker. He has played runningback so that tells me he has some speed. The coachs will put him where they need him but he sounds like a outside linebacker to me.
What ever position he performs the best. If he performed well in the past at RB then IMO the added size would be a plus.
Leave him at running back. Should have natural skills by now. He may be awkward until he adjusts to his new height but he'll grow mature into it. My son went from a 5'10 / 160lbs. to 6'2 / 212lbs in 2 seasons and became a tremendous safety with the new weight.
Bottom-line, let the coaches decide where the kid best helps the program. Isn't that what is most important? I wanted my son to be a running back, but the coaches made him into a Linebacker. Not my hope, but he helped the team the most in that position, not RB. The coaches made a sound decision and filled the holes that they needed, not what I wanted.
I agree with what most of you are saying......let the coach decide. Unless the coach doesn't understand football he will put him where the team needs him the most bottom line. Coaches should work with high school coaches also and maybe finding out where the kid has potential of playing later on down the road and work him at that position. So many times kids grow like this but if he skills from being rb then will only have to enhance any other position he plays.
Thanks all. He is transfering schools this year so will be interesting. But at least Mayfield has good football coaches to develop him even more.