Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Android Apps
What's your alls favorite apps?

Sports, Games, Social, etc.....
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
I have only had my Android phone for a few days, but so far these are my favorite apps:

Amazon Kindle Reader - I have a fairly large Kindle library and this app is much better than I expected it would be.

Amazon.com - I am an Amazon Prime customer and swiping bar codes and then doing quick price comparisons will be great. No matter where I buy stuff, I often look them up on Amazon.com to read the reviews. This will let me do that while I am shopping.

CardioTrainer - I have thought about buying a GPS workout device before but they cost more than my new phone did. This app tracks distance, time, calories burned, and steps and will use the GPS to show your route (bike, walking, running, etc.) on a Google map. It will also monitor your pulse rate when paired with a Bluetooth Polar heart monitor.

Dice, CB Jobs (CareerBuilder), and Monster - These apps allow me to search and apply for IT jobs when I am away from my PC.

Maps - This is probably my favorite. Teaming a GPS with Google Maps is about as good as it gets, IMO. I will use this app almost daily.

TuneIn Radio Pro - I like talk radio and this app gives you access to thousands of radio stations and allows you to record them as well.

Dropbox - This allows me to update my resume and other docs on my desktop PC and email them from my phone or netbook.

Swype - I have pretty big hands and until now have refused to get caught up in the texting craze. Too many typos. Swype increases my texting speed by several hundred percent. I love it.

DC Metro Rails - This app gives me the time of arrival for the next few trains at any Washington Metro station. It uses GPS to show the closest station first. I have learned the hard way that leaving home a few seconds late can cost me 10 minutes or more on my commute. Now, I can start running to catch the train a few seconds earlier. :biggrin:

I am still trying out and uninstalling new apps but the ones above are "keepers."
What is the app for Androids that is kind of like facetime for Iphones? I need to get it asap. Can someone help me?
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I have only had my Android phone for a few days, but so far these are my favorite apps:

Amazon Kindle Reader - I have a fairly large Kindle library and this app is much better than I expected it would be.

I am still trying out and uninstalling new apps but the ones above are "keepers."

So, if I had a smartphone and got this app, would I have to buy a Kindle? Could I use a smartphone and read e-books off the phone?
LWC Wrote:So, if I had a smartphone and got this app, would I have to buy a Kindle? Could I use a smartphone and read e-books off the phone?
Yes. I have a Kindle (original version) but I have the Kindle reader software installed on my netbook, desktop PC, Android phone, and on the Asus Transformer Android tablet that I picked up today.

The Transformer has a 10.1 " color screen and it was less than the Kindle DX reader with a 9.7" digital ink screen would have cost. Many of my Amazon and PDF books contain colored text and diagrams that are sometimes illegible on the Kindle. I love the Kindle for reading newspapers and novels but some books need to be seen in color.

HP decided to exit the tablet market a couple of days ago and stores slashed the price of the HP Touchpads to $150 (32GB) and $100 (16 GB) over the weekend. I was going to buy a couple of them because they would have made great eBook readers (the Amazon reader software runs on them) but I could not find any in stock when I started looking around noon today. I have already seen a flood of HP Touchpads selling on eBay for $230+.

The problem with the HPs is that they run a proprietary OS called WebOS, so application development will slow to a trickle now that HP is no longer making the devices. Still, for $100 it would been a steal.
Ballers Wrote:What is the app for Androids that is kind of like facetime for Iphones? I need to get it asap. Can someone help me?
I am not sure but you might be talking about Google Voice or Fring.
It's called Tango.
What is the next step in getting this app? I have never downloaded any apps so I am pretty new to it and curious.
Ballers Wrote:It's called Tango.
What is the next step in getting this app? I have never downloaded any apps so I am pretty new to it and curious.
Open the Market app on your phone and search for Tango and then click Install. You can also go to the Android Market website with your phone connected with a usb cable and install it using your Pc.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Open the Market app on your phone and search for Tango and then click Install. You can also go to the Android Market website with your phone connected with a usb cable and install it using your Pc.

Very useful information Hoot.
I got it downloaded now, thank you.
ESPN Scorecenter
ESPN FFL 11
UK Wildcats Fan App
X Box Live avatar Widget
Just got a android phone yesterday and I love it
^Which one?
I got the Milestone X from App wireless
android FTW!!!!
angry birds! best game out there haha
I installed Easy Tether Pro ($4.99 from the Amazon apps store) on my netbook this morning and am posting from a bus on my way to work. This is the cheapest way to get internet access on the road that I have found and installing and using the app is a breeze.
Scrabble - I have installed it on my phone and Android tablet but it is much easier to play on the tablet. The app includes a dictionary, a tutor mode, and it tracks your record and computes a rating for you.
I just bought two Acer Iconia 10" tablets for Christmas gifts and I am very impressed with them. The tablet is bulkier and a little bit heavier than either the iPad or most Android tablets but it has a full-sized USB port and a built-in flash for their rear facing cameras. I prefer my Asus Transformer with its keyboard dock but the Acer tablet is a solid product.
I downloaded the Amazon App store and they have a free app of the day every day that allows you to get an app that normally would require money. I'm getting some good stuff from that.

I also downloaded an app called Juice Defender and it really increases your battery life tremendously.
I got an ASUS tab for Christmas and I love it so far.
Do you have any good tablet apps to recommend Hoot?
I've not had time to mess around with it too much.
I have all my social networking stuff, transferred my books, and I've downloaded a citrix client so I can remote to my desktop but I've not had a chance to try it yet.
zaga_fan Wrote:I got an ASUS tab for Christmas and I love it so far.
Do you have any good tablet apps to recommend Hoot?
I've not had time to mess around with it too much.
I have all my social networking stuff, transferred my books, and I've downloaded a citrix client so I can remote to my desktop but I've not had a chance to try it yet.
I hope that you will be as happy with your ASUS as I have been, Zaga. I feel like I have just scratched the surface with apps for it, but here are a few of my favorites so far:

Advanced Task Killer (Very handy for killing most apps without having to close them individually.)

Dolphin Browser (I also have installed Firefox and Opera Mobile.)

Dropbox

Easy Uninstaller

Pandora

Polaris Office (Documents to Go is also supposed to be good for creating, viewing, and editing Office docs.)

Netflix

Scrabble Free (Annoying ads and buggy - but I like Scrabble. Scrabble knock-offs Words with Friends and Wordfeud both work better than the real thing.)

Tango (I also have installed Skype and Oovoo but have not tried them yet)

TunedIn Radio (probably my favorite app but I like talk radio - but there are thousands of radio stations for every taste)

Wifi Analyzer (Shows all available routers and the channels on which they operate. This is helpful in setting up your own router in a busy area.)

I also like the Wal-Mart, Amazon, Office Depot, etc. apps for price comparisons and product reviews. One of the bar code scanner apps also might come in handy if you do much shopping.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I hope that you will be as happy with your ASUS as I have been, Zaga. I feel like I have just scratched the surface with apps for it, but here are a few of my favorites so far:

Advanced Task Killer (Very handy for killing most apps without having to close them individually.)

Dolphin Browser (I also have installed Firefox and Opera Mobile.)

Dropbox

Easy Uninstaller

Pandora

Polaris Office (Documents to Go is also supposed to be good for creating, viewing, and editing Office docs.)

Netflix

Scrabble Free (Annoying ads and buggy - but I like Scrabble. Scrabble knock-offs Words with Friends and Wordfeud both work better than the real thing.)

Tango (I also have installed Skype and Oovoo but have not tried them yet)

TunedIn Radio (probably my favorite app but I like talk radio - but there are thousands of radio stations for every taste)

Wifi Analyzer (Shows all available routers and the channels on which they operate. This is helpful in setting up your own router in a busy area.)

I also like the Wal-Mart, Amazon, Office Depot, etc. apps for price comparisons and product reviews. One of the bar code scanner apps also might come in handy if you do much shopping.

My son has the Moto Xoom 10.1.

I agree with most of what Hoot's suggested. I use the Documents to go because Amazon was offering it as the Free App of the Day. The task killers don't do much because most of the apps just restart in the background. The only way to get full control over what runs is to "Root that thing". Have fun, I absolutely love Android and the apps are getting better every day.

Also, along with dropbox cloud storage I use Google Music for music storage and Microsoft's Skydrive (25GB free). There's an app called skydrive browser for android phones....perhaps it's available for tablets as well.
Hoot:
Do apps on your ASUS crash a lot?
I'm having a couple crashes a day and I'm not running a lot....
Hopefully the Ice Cream Sandwich update takes care of that in a couple of weeks.
zaga_fan Wrote:Hoot:
Do apps on your ASUS crash a lot?
I'm having a couple crashes a day and I'm not running a lot....
Hopefully the Ice Cream Sandwich update takes care of that in a couple of weeks.
Some apps crash quite a bit but others are pretty stable. I have my apps set to update automatically and also keep the OS updated. The apps would probably be more stable if I did not update the Android OS as often.

I have a lot of apps installed but I spend most of my time web browsing, listening to TunedIn radio, and hitting the snooze button on the clock app. All of those apps seem pretty solid.

At times the Kindle app has had some major bugs and as I said in my previous post the official Scrabble app is a buggy resource hog. I would use both of those apps if they didn't crash so often.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Some apps crash quite a bit but others are pretty stable. I have my apps set to update automatically and also keep the OS updated. The apps would probably be more stable if I did not update the Android OS as often.

I have a lot of apps installed but I spend most of my time web browsing, listening to TunedIn radio, and hitting the snooze button on the clock app. All of those apps seem pretty solid.

At times the Kindle app has had some major bugs and as I said in my previous post the official Scrabble app is a buggy resource hog. I would use both of those apps if they didn't crash so often.

I reinstalled my words with friends app and switched from a live wallpaper to a stationary one and everything is running smoothly.

My browser is buggy but its a 3rd party one....
i had the dolphin one for tablets but it was buggy as heck
I may go with the regular dolphin one for a while
I have downloaded some new Android apps recently that I really like. I am using Endomondo Pro to log my daily walks. The app maps the route, tracks time, distance, average speed, lap times, and calories burned. I was using Cardio Trainer Pro but switched when I decided to add a Zephyr bluetooth pulse monitor. Both apps will periodically announce your distance, time, average speed or pace. Cardio Trainer Pro will work with Polar bluetooth pulse monitors but I chose the Zephyr monitor because it is rechargeable.

Another app that I have not fully tested is a GPS navigation program called NavFree USA. The app is free, including state maps. It appears to have virtually all of the features of my stand alone Garmin GPS unit. If anybody has a tablet but does not have a GPS, this app is definitely worth trying. Unlike the GPS apps that are usually bundled with Android phones, NavFree does not require a cell phone or Wi-fi connection.

The number of good, cheap or free apps is mind boggling. I am really glad that I bought an Android phone and tablet a few months ago.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I have downloaded some new Android apps recently that I really like. I am using Endomondo Pro to log my daily walks. The app maps the route, tracks time, distance, average speed, lap times, and calories burned. I was using Cardio Trainer Pro but switched when I decided to add a Zephyr bluetooth pulse monitor. Both apps will periodically announce your distance, time, average speed or pace. Cardio Trainer Pro will work with Polar bluetooth pulse monitors but I chose the Zephyr monitor because it is rechargeable.

Another app that I have not fully tested is a GPS navigation program called NavFree USA. The app is free, including state maps. It appears to have virtually all of the features of my stand alone Garmin GPS unit. If anybody has a tablet but does not have a GPS, this app is definitely worth trying. Unlike the GPS apps that are usually bundled with Android phones, NavFree does not require a cell phone or Wi-fi connection.

The number of good, cheap or free apps is mind boggling. I am really glad that I bought an Android phone and tablet a few months ago.

:Thumbs:
I have been using the Audible app for a few weeks to listen to audio books on trips. I love it and it has worked flawlessly. I have been trying different apps to print from my tablet. So far, Cloud print has worked pretty well but it requires a PC with Google Chrome running and it is confusing to set up.
I have an Android Note. Is there a BGR app that I can install for it?
i have samsung android phone,,, and i like to download apps form playstore,, there are so many apps which i like the most , such as cricket games, launchers, music software etc..but my faviourite app is cymra app, i can easily edit pics using this app.....