Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defend these arguments now! "Cal can't coach."
Stardust Wrote:Hunh??? I am 100% positive you are NOT referring to me, because absolutely ZERO of the above fits above. I have been 100% consistent for 15 years! I didn't start 4!!!!!

LOL, I have said that I have never EVER liked Cal, thus I have been more honest with my feelings than ANYONE!

It's so very funny when members here make up what they want to make up when it comes to what I have said. I have always said that 1) I don't like Cal, thus I would be two-faced to all of a sudden say I do. 2) I have always given Cal credit for his ability to recruit and get his athletes to drink the Cool-Aid (pretty sure I have compared him to John Wooden on that one) 3) have always contended that Cal is NOT an X's and O's coach and has relied on his talent versus his ability to COACH out of games. Sure, blind squirrels find nuts, but it still does not mean they can see Wink

Now, it's almost ridiculous when someone here LOVES UK Basketball, but they dare say something about the beloved Teflon Don! I Love the USA with all my heart and soul, but I cannot STAND Barack Obama's polices and practices. So, Am I now un-American. Or ODM, should I be asking you that same question.....Wink

As for what I want from Cal while he is here - WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS! I want Barack Obama to find a way to fix the Economy - But when it's said and done and both of them accomplish more championships than can fit in the rafters and my 401K has so much money my Great, Great, Great, Great Grandkids will never be able to spend it all - I still will NOT have to like either of themConfusednicker:

STILL don't see where anyone said you had to, or even should, like him.
However CAN see where you are so intransigent that you can't admit
being wrong BECAUSE you don't like him. Cal's a heck of a coach, and
conintuing to try to deny it, and refusing to credti him for anything other
than recruiting great talent, just discredits ALL your opinions, and
marks you as some one who can't see past his biases.
He's shown more than a few times that he can coach out of a game...multiple times the last 3 years. Don't know what other proof you can have that says he's no good at X's and O's.
A college coach is only as good as his players. Thank goodness we have coach Cal.
Observing Wrote:STILL don't see where anyone said you had to, or even should, like him.
However CAN see where you are so intransigent that you can't admit
being wrong BECAUSE you don't like him. Cal's a heck of a coach, and
conintuing to try to deny it, and refusing to credti him for anything other
than recruiting great talent, just discredits ALL your opinions, and
marks you as some one who can't see past his biases.

vundy33 Wrote:He's shown more than a few times that he can coach out of a game...multiple times the last 3 years. Don't know what other proof you can have that says he's no good at X's and O's.

A lot of people say Obama is a great President and an excellent strategist and he should be given more credit - I disagree with that as well!
Coach cal is a great coach we have young players every good team has a off year but i think kentucky will be fine time ncaa tournament comes along, cal has turned around every program he has ever coached.
Stardust Wrote:A lot of people say Obama is a great President and an excellent strategist and he should be given more credit - I disagree with that as well!
You get an "F" for that analogy. Obama has no positive accomplishments, aside from winning two elections. Calipari has an NCAA national championship and he deserves credit for winning it.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:You get an "F" for that analogy. Obama has no positive accomplishments, aside from winning two elections. Calipari has an NCAA national championship and he deserves credit for winning it.

I agree! I have never liked Calipari, but even I wouldn't stoop so low as to compare him to Obama.
Coach Calipari can coach whether people want to admit it or not!
Cal-Great recruiter- good coach Pitino- good recruiter-great coach. Coach K very good recruiter-great coach
Hoot Gibson Wrote:You get an "F" for that analogy. Obama has no positive accomplishments, aside from winning two elections. Calipari has an NCAA national championship and he deserves credit for winning it.

I guess the analogy is that Obama won the National Championship as well. Obama got all the right recruits in place and all he had to sit back and collect on their hardwork. I don't like the way Obama's history has allowed him to get it, but facts are, he did it! Thus, Hoot, as usual, you don't stack up again.....Confusednicker:
Steve Kuberski Wrote:Cal-Great recruiter- good coach Pitino- good recruiter-great coach. Coach K very good recruiter-great coach

I don't understand what makes you guys think Coach K is so great, he has been to 11 final fours and only won the title 4 times. We all know that coach K has got a pass with the NCAA. Let a UK player throw down a large chunk of cash for some fancy jewelry and the NCAA will have the Pinketon detective ageny in Lexington with shot guns and AK 47s. Jerry Tarkanian was probably as good a basketball mind and coach as anybody but the NCAA was on him like a Duck on a June Bug! He sued the NCAA too and they paid him $2.5 million. I don't know were you get Pitino is such a great Coach either? He won a title in 96' at UK but what about 95'??? Most of the guys on the 96' team were there in 95'. We all remember him not guarding the guy that inbounded the ball on the famous play in the 92' game. If you take a closer look at what Joe B Hall done at UK and you consider that he had only one or two players make impact type players in the NBA, his 3 final fours and one NCAA title look pretty strong. IMO be able to recruit is part of being a great coach. Some of these guys on here knocking Cal and Calling him a just a great recruiter would never knock Chuck Noll of the Steelers but hey he had truck load of Hall-of-fame players that he brought to the Steelers, and he was smart and a great coach for drafting them same as Cal is for bring in Davis and MKG and the rest of the Crew.
Stardust Wrote:I guess the analogy is that Obama won the National Championship as well. Obama got all the right recruits in place and all he had to sit back and collect on their hardwork. I don't like the way Obama's history has allowed him to get it, but facts are, he did it! Thus, Hoot, as usual, you don't stack up again.....Confusednicker:
No, you are wrong again Dusty. Do you remember when Obama told Americans, "If you own a business, you didn't build that?"

You are telling us that Calipari didn't build a championship team last season. Our own eyes tell us that both you and Obama are living in an alternate reality, assuming that you believe your own words.

Obama inherited a mess and made it worse. Cal rebuilt an elite basketball program from the mess that he inherited.

Your appeal is denied. Your attempt to equate Cal to Obama earns you an "F." Confusednicker:
Yes, Coach K, has won four titles in his tenure.U.K. has 4 in the last half-century and is considered the best program in the nation, bar none.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:No, you are wrong again Dusty. Do you remember when Obama told Americans, "If you own a business, you didn't build that?"

You are telling us that Calipari didn't build a championship team last season. Our own eyes tell us that both you and Obama are living in an alternate reality, assuming that you believe your own words.

Obama inherited a mess and made it worse. Cal rebuilt an elite basketball program from the mess that he inherited.

Your appeal is denied. Your attempt to equate Cal to Obama earns you an "F." Confusednicker:

You are dumb as a hay-rake, but you are my Hay-Rake.....:biggrin:
Steve Kuberski Wrote:Yes, Coach K, has won four titles in his tenure.U.K. has 4 in the last half-century and is considered the best program in the nation, bar none.

?????[Image: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-KB3qf15mo40/TV...0crack.jpg]
Steve Kuberski Wrote:Yes, Coach K, has won four titles in his tenure.U.K. has 4 in the last half-century and is considered the best program in the nation, bar none.

UK won titles in 78', 96', 98' and 2012 HMMM,,, let see here,, 2012-1978= 34 and A Century is equal to 100 years, 100/2= 50 I think your math is off :dontthink I think Coach K took over for Duke in 1980 that is a big whopping 2 year difference. Just so you know, 8 is twice as many a 4. It can also be called double. Is it better to have 8 real NCAA titles or to have 4 real NCAA and 4 Pretend ones????
2012 minus 50 = 1962.
Stardust my question to you is: how important is it to be a great X & O Coach? Not all decisions a coach makes are equally important. For one coach to know everything it stands to reason then that the goal should be to learn as many right plays as possible? But we know that not all plays are equally important. Even though a coach knows the right decision for more situations that may arise, an opponent may be correct more often when it comes to IMPORTANT decisions. What do I mean by a important decision? Start with who a Coach selects to be on his team. Looks to me like Coach Cal is pretty darn good at that DECISION! Another Important decision would what type of defense a coach should play. Cal brings in the top athletes in the USA, so most of the time his team is athletically superior so when he plays man to man D his DECISION is based on a more Important decision which is playing TOP Athletes. MY point is; even if a coach knows more of the right plays that doesn't mean he is a better coach. Coach K lost to a 15 seed last season, and I am sure he had a sound game plan and he played the right D but he had to be wrong about one very very important DECISION, I am 100% sure that if he knew his starting 5 would lose to a 15 seed he would have played different players! I don't think that there is enough little decisions to make up for a huge talent gap. SO IMO CAL is great coach because his eye for talent and who he selects to bring to UK. Any coach who elects to use less talented guys is electing to stack the deck against himself. LOTS of Coachs want the best player too but can't get them. WOODEN vs RUPP ???? Thats a easy call right? But when you take a look at the talent gap, and you have to wonder. That most important DECISION of who to play shows up here. Got to give credit were it due right????
Steve Kuberski Wrote:2012 minus 50 = 1962.

YES and your point?? Wilt the Big O and Jerry West were all in College in 1958 when Rupps Runts won the title. I guess those guys were not important to the histroy of Basketball.
Steve Kuberski Wrote:2012 minus 50 = 1962.

...and your point is??
1958 would be a half century plus four. I said half century.
honestjchsfan Wrote:YES and your point?? Wilt the Big O and Jerry West were all in College in 1958 when Rupps Runts won the title. I guess those guys were not important to the histroy of Basketball.

sorry UK fans I meant fiddlin' five Rupp's runts was in 1966
Steve Kuberski Wrote:1958 would be a half century plus four. I said half century.

News flash for you,,,, UCLA won 11 titles in that time frame bud. I usually don't agree with anything Stardust says or does but the PIC of the DUDE using the CRACK PIPE is totally understandable to me now. What does that DUKE KOOL AID have in it??
honestjchsfan Wrote:Stardust my question to you is: how important is it to be a great X & O Coach? Not all decisions a coach makes are equally important. For one coach to know everything it stands to reason then that the goal should be to learn as many right plays as possible? But we know that not all plays are equally important. Even though a coach knows the right decision for more situations that may arise, an opponent may be correct more often when it comes to IMPORTANT decisions. What do I mean by a important decision? Start with who a Coach selects to be on his team. Looks to me like Coach Cal is pretty darn good at that DECISION! Another Important decision would what type of defense a coach should play. Cal brings in the top athletes in the USA, so most of the time his team is athletically superior so when he plays man to man D his DECISION is based on a more Important decision which is playing TOP Athletes. MY point is; even if a coach knows more of the right plays that doesn't mean he is a better coach. Coach K lost to a 15 seed last season, and I am sure he had a sound game plan and he played the right D but he had to be wrong about one very very important DECISION, I am 100% sure that if he knew his starting 5 would lose to a 15 seed he would have played different players! I don't think that there is enough little decisions to make up for a huge talent gap. SO IMO CAL is great coach because his eye for talent and who he selects to bring to UK. Any coach who elects to use less talented guys is electing to stack the deck against himself. LOTS of Coachs want the best player too but can't get them. WOODEN vs RUPP ???? Thats a easy call right? But when you take a look at the talent gap, and you have to wonder. That most important DECISION of who to play shows up here. Got to give credit were it due right????

Have you EVER not seen where I give credit for having the BEST talent???? I have given him credit as a great recruiter always. So, what is your point??? I love UK! I don't like Cal! I want Cal to win 50 titles for UK! What else do you want me to say???

I love the USA! I don't like Obama! I want Obama to put in policy that increases my 401K to the point that I can retire with a billion dollars! What else do you want me to say???
Stardust Wrote:Have you EVER not seen where I give credit for having the BEST talent???? I have given him credit as a great recruiter always. So, what is your point??? I love UK! I don't like Cal! I want Cal to win 50 titles for UK! What else do you want me to say???

I love the USA! I don't like Obama! I want Obama to put in policy that increases my 401K to the point that I can retire with a billion dollars! What else do you want me to say???

Better try for a trillion, you will need it!:Thumbs:
Stardust Wrote:Have you EVER not seen where I give credit for having the BEST talent???? I have given him credit as a great recruiter always. So, what is your point??? I love UK! I don't like Cal! I want Cal to win 50 titles for UK! What else do you want me to say???

Starduck you are slipping in your old age! You can do better than that! I know you can. I wanted some examples of why Cal is a poor X & O coach and for you to point out some of his bad mistakes. Last season he lost 2 games, and won the NCAA Title the most important decision was who to play and how to get them to play as a team. In 2011 he lost too UCONN by 1 point in the final four. I am confident that if Kanter would have been allowed to play that year UK would have won it all then too. The NCAA forced him not to play Kanter so they made the decision for him. I guess the year that you can really cut up is his first year at UK, but now that we know that John Wall is the only one from that team that has been a consistent starter in the NBA that maybe some of those guys were drafted more on potential. StarDuck lets hear those examples of when he just got of foxed by the other coached. I think I have pretty well showed everyone that your IDEA is based on BS! Basketball is not a chess game there is only a few decisions a coach can make in any one game that will effect the outcome of a game. Cal simply hasn't made those mistakes. John Wooden won those title because first and formost he put the best players on the floor, and thats the most important thing in Basketball. :1: There is a luck factor in Basketball and Cal has not been the luckiest coach its hard to control that.
honestjchsfan Wrote:Starduck you are slipping in your old age! You can do better than that! I know you can. I wanted some examples of why Cal is a poor X & O coach and for you to point out some of his bad mistakes. Last season he lost 2 games, and won the NCAA Title the most important decision was who to play and how to get them to play as a team. In 2011 he lost too UCONN by 1 point in the final four. I am confident that if Kanter would have been allowed to play that year UK would have won it all then too. The NCAA forced him not to play Kanter so they made the decision for him. I guess the year that you can really cut up is his first year at UK, but now that we know that John Wall is the only one from that team that has been a consistent starter in the NBA that maybe some of those guys were drafted more on potential. StarDuck lets hear those examples of when he just got of foxed by the other coached. I think I have pretty well showed everyone that your IDEA is based on BS! Basketball is not a chess game there is only a few decisions a coach can make in any one game that will effect the outcome of a game. Cal simply hasn't made those mistakes. John Wooden won those title because first and formost he put the best players on the floor, and thats the most important thing in Basketball. :1: There is a luck factor in Basketball and Cal has not been the luckiest coach its hard to control that.

[Image: http://files.sharenator.com/bahahaha_Jer...161845.jpg]

[Image: http://rlv.zcache.com/are_you_stoned_or_...n6_210.jpg]
Stardust Wrote:[Image: http://files.sharenator.com/bahahaha_Jer...161845.jpg]

[Image: http://rlv.zcache.com/are_you_stoned_or_...n6_210.jpg]

Starduck you have said over and over in this thread that CAL is not a good X & O coach but you can't give examples of when he has been out coached. :lame: I don't think you even watch basketball. Last season UK had the most talent in the USA but they were also the best team. They shared the ball, they were one of the best defensive teams in NCAA basketball histroy. I bet you were one of those guys that was screaming for Joe B. Hall's head after the loss in the the 1984 final four. It was not Hall's fault that UK couldn't throw one in the ocean in the 2nd half of that game. COME ON MAN! Last season @ IU the refs failed to call the foul in back court, and there shots didn't fall vs Vandy. Cal always calls timeout when he supposed too. Last season Cal was put in the brackett with UCONN and UK had to beat IU, UL and Kansas to win the title. In 2011 Cal and UK had beat UF 2 out of 3 times but UF gets a #2 seed and UK gets a #4 :ChairHit: and UK has to beat #1 overall seed Ohio ST and then a very good UNC team just to get to the final four. Look at UF's bracket that year and it was a cake walk and they still got beat in the final four. If you are going to write BS, why not become a fiction writer? Coaching is not some mystery like you claim, there is no secret play or any of that BS that wins champonship. #1 Talent #2 Share the Ball #3 Play Great D #4 Make Shots, throw in a little good luck never hurts either. Cal may be the best coach in histroy when it comes to coaching young teams. It doesn't take Gary Kasparov to coach basketball. STARDUCK go back to your IU game and your Bobby Knight KOOL-AID and finsh your knitting!:rockon: BTY Knight lost in the NCAA more time than Cal when he had the best talent, just ask Joe B Hall.
The only thing Cal can do is recruit...he is a horrible X's and O's coach...the only thing that made him look so good was the talent he had on the floor, and now that it's NO where near that, he is looking like a high school coach at the best.
wildcats20 Wrote:The only thing Cal can do is recruit...he is a horrible X's and O's coach...the only thing that made him look so good was the talent he had on the floor, and now that it's NO where near that, he is looking like a high school coach at the best.

Give examples of why and how he is a horrible X's & O's coach please. You guys act like there is some secret mystery to coaching and that is BS! At UMass they ran into the 96' Wildcats and in Final game the UM Tigers didn't hit thier free throws. Back up your BS claims with facts. Chuck Noll of the 70's Steelers was horrible X's & O's Coach too. Game film and examples please. I have good friend that been a College coach for years and he wants to see these Secret things too.