Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defend these arguments now! "Cal can't coach."
The big trophy Cal packed home last spring is all the argument he needs.
TheRealVille Wrote:How's Cal doing when he has a mediocre team, against some of the mediocre, unranked teams this year?

Lol? Coach K never looses to mediocre teams?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Lol? Coach K never looses to mediocre teams?

But Coach K has extremely less talented athletes. Coach K's flawless reputation pushes him to get kids who not only can spell Graduate, they do Graduate. Man, I'd hate to see what he would do with 5 Blue Chip recruits every single year. Be an era of winning the title EVERY YEAR because he has the best talent every year and not having to worry so much about X's and O's....Confusedhh:
All BS. Cal can coach because motivation is an important aspect of coaching. Who is better? None..give it a break.
Ok so we all know UK was good last year..
And they have a rough road ahead of them for the rest of the season this year..
You all sound like a buncha elementary school girls arguing over a boy. lol..
UKisN1 Wrote:All BS. Cal can coach because motivation is an important aspect of coaching. Who is better? None..give it a break.

:biglmao:
Stardust Wrote:But Coach K has extremely less talented athletes. Coach K's flawless reputation pushes him to get kids who not only can spell Graduate, they do Graduate. Man, I'd hate to see what he would do with 5 Blue Chip recruits every single year. Be an era of winning the title EVERY YEAR because he has the best talent every year and not having to worry so much about X's and O's....Confusedhh:

Less talented? The guy ruled the 90s and early 2000s in recruiting . HE was the coach cal of his time.
^ Proves he can do it both ways, thus not one dimensional and a coach who wins only by having the BEST recruits....Wink
Stardust Wrote:^ Proves he can do it both ways, thus not one dimensional and a coach who wins only by having the BEST recruits....Wink
Coaching basketball, or playing it, does not take a genius. Brad Stevens has been the best coach in the NCAA over the past few years, and he has had far less talent than Coach K has had in his worst years.

Calipari did as good a job coaching last season as K has ever done. UK had great talent, but it takes some serious coaching to get a group of freshmen and sophomores to play as unselfishly on offense, as hard on defense, and with as much confidence as Kentucky played with last season.

I once thought that Coach Cal only won because he was such a good recruiter, but did he really have anywhere near the overall talent that Duke had when he was at UMass and Memphis? I don't think so. I think that either Brad Stevens or Coach Cal could take over Duke's program and not miss a beat.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Coaching basketball, or playing it, does not take a genius. Brad Stevens has been the best coach in the NCAA over the past few years, and he has had far less talent than Coach K has had in his worst years.

Calipari did as good a job coaching last season as K has ever done. UK had great talent, but it takes some serious coaching to get a group of freshmen and sophomores to play as unselfishly on offense, as hard on defense, and with as much confidence as Kentucky played with last season.

I once thought that Coach Cal only won because he was such a good recruiter, but did he really have anywhere near the overall talent that Duke had when he was at UMass and Memphis? I don't think so. I think that either Brad Stevens or Coach Cal could take over Duke's program and not miss a beat.

Agreed
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Coaching basketball, or playing it, does not take a genius. Brad Stevens has been the best coach in the NCAA over the past few years, and he has had far less talent than Coach K has had in his worst years.

I've seen enough of your thinking in the political threads to not trust those, so I'll not warrant your thoughts on the matter as conclusive..... Confusednicker:

Facts are, Coach K is the greatest coach of all time and he has done it with all levels of talent, even less talent than UMass had and certainly NO WHERE near the talent at Memphis or UK and he has done it in a dramatically better basketball conference than Cal has EVER coached in (and that is not even debatable)....:truestory:
^Less talent than UMASS had? Remember, when Coach K took over at Duke, they had a National Championship runner-up just a season or two before his arrival. Cal took over UMASS who had 10 straight losing seasons before his arrival. Coach K had a much easier time getting recruits to Duke than Cal had at UMASS. However, if you balance out the academic handicap for recruiting that Duke has, it is basically a wash.
I know coach k never had Elton brand, grant hill, Jason Williams, and many many more.
^ FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR From having the 5 best players in the top 10 5* players Wink It's completely laughable, completely GUFFAW level laughable to think that Cal ever had a team of High School recruits on a single team that came even came close to the talent level of the last three Memphis and first four UK teams. Yes, dUKe had the best recruiting classes for a handful of years, but that is because it meant that he got 3 players in the top 50, not 3 of the top 5, and 5 of the top 10. LOL, you can try to make up the argument any way you want to, but when you make point on point comparisons, your arguments sink like the Titanic......:lmao:
LWC Wrote:^Less talent than UMASS had? Remember, when Coach K took over at Duke, they had a National Championship runner-up just a season or two before his arrival. Cal took over UMASS who had 10 straight losing seasons before his arrival. Coach K had a much easier time getting recruits to Duke than Cal had at UMASS. However, if you balance out the academic handicap for recruiting that Duke has, it is basically a wash.

LOL, yes, it is so much easier recruiting 4.0 GPA white guys, :biglmao:
^He doesn't have to recruit those. I give him credit for choosing to. Remember, his teams are usually not completely filled with those. For every Christian Laettner there is an Elton Brand.
Of course Dusty would use this start against Cal. Of course, it's not like we have an all new team though...smh.
Dusty, I am usually on your side with this one but you are going too far to the Cal-bash side. I respect you for it because it stirs up good debate and we desperately need debate here.
Coach K still gets good recruits lol
Stardust Wrote:I've seen enough of your thinking in the political threads to not trust those, so I'll not warrant your thoughts on the matter as conclusive..... Confusednicker:

Facts are, Coach K is the greatest coach of all time and he has done it with all levels of talent, even less talent than UMass had and certainly NO WHERE near the talent at Memphis or UK and he has done it in a dramatically better basketball conference than Cal has EVER coached in (and that is not even debatable)....:truestory:
The fact is Duke has produced more NBA draftees than either UMass or Memphis did while Calipari was there. Coach Cal had some great players, but he never had the kind of deep recruiting classes that Duke has had year in and year out. I have no doubt that Coach Cal could recruit just as well at Duke, North Carolina, or Indiana as he has done at Kentucky.

It is time to give Coach Cal some credit for his coaching ability. There is no way you could have watched the progress of last year's team and not been impressed with his coaching ability. Despite getting hammered in our debate about Wilt Chamberlain's undeniable ability, you are too smart not to admit that Calipari did a great job of coaching last season.

As for Coach K - having watched Butler play games in Hinkle Fieldhouse in person, and then watching Duke struggle past the Bulldogs in the NCAA finals three years ago, I don't see how anybody can say that he is the greatest college basketball coach of all time. John Wooden holds that distinction until somebody can at least approach his UCLA records, and I don't expect that will ever happen.
His overall class rankings aren't better clearly, but he still gets solid recruits that can obviously play. They're both good coaches. Coach K is one of the greatest. But you can't say cal is a bad coach because of the start they have this season. It isn't an easy task getting a bunch of freshmen to gel together and play smart team basketball. Especially this soon haha
Guys, chill. It has to be harder than anyone other than Cal understands to take a raw group of 18 year old kids and tell them they have to live up to last year's group. We are gonna take some lumps this year. Sheesh some of these guys are quick to turn on a coach. Let's not forget what he has done for us. He can coach. Remember a few years ago when the season was looking very mediocre and we still made it to the final four? I'm not saying that this will happen this year, because frankly, each team is different. It's difficult without having any veterens. Give em time.
TheRealVille Wrote:You were saying, ODM43?

After two poorly played games we forget about a Final Four from two years ago and a National Championship from last year?

You people panicking need to chill out.
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

If you don't like someone, when something goes wrong, you will rush to blast that person. When things go right, you will not give any credit to that person.

Classic examples are on this thread: Fresh off a championship, the Cal haters are stifled shut. Fast forward to the present where his team has played two straight games poorly and has lost his first home game as UK head coach (54-0 record at Rupp over a three year period before Saturday which no Cal haters will give any credit for :eyerollSmile, here come the Cal haters in full force.

I do disagree with a couple of things Cal is doing right now, but who the heck am I to plead my opinion to be the right thing to do? He knows this team better than we do and he has proven time and time again he can mesh everyone together to play as a unit and defend like devils.

I am not that worried about it.
Heck, I'm not even worried. It's Nov-Dec. We will get it together.
When u play 1-and-done ball every year a bad season will come around... Just wasn't a great recruiting class as normal... Cal takes a risk every year with these high schoolers he will get it wrong once or twice.. Look how many NBA GM's get it wrong...

Cal is a better GM than Coach but he is still a good ball coach, he wouldn't be at UK if he a was bad coach
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again.

If you don't like someone, when something goes wrong, you will rush to blast that person. When things go right, you will not give any credit to that person.

Classic examples are on this thread: Fresh off a championship, the Cal haters are stifled shut. Fast forward to the present where his team has played two straight games poorly and has lost his first home game as UK head coach (54-0 record at Rupp over a three year period before Saturday which no Cal haters will give any credit for :eyerollSmile, here come the Cal haters in full force.

I do disagree with a couple of things Cal is doing right now, but who the heck am I to plead my opinion to be the right thing to do? He knows this team better than we do and he has proven time and time again he can mesh everyone together to play as a unit and defend like devils.

I am not that worried about it.

Hunh??? I am 100% positive you are NOT referring to me, because absolutely ZERO of the above fits above. I have been 100% consistent for 15 years! I didn't start 4!!!!!

LOL, I have said that I have never EVER liked Cal, thus I have been more honest with my feelings than ANYONE!

It's so very funny when members here make up what they want to make up when it comes to what I have said. I have always said that 1) I don't like Cal, thus I would be two-faced to all of a sudden say I do. 2) I have always given Cal credit for his ability to recruit and get his athletes to drink the Cool-Aid (pretty sure I have compared him to John Wooden on that one) 3) have always contended that Cal is NOT an X's and O's coach and has relied on his talent versus his ability to COACH out of games. Sure, blind squirrels find nuts, but it still does not mean they can see Wink

Now, it's almost ridiculous when someone here LOVES UK Basketball, but they dare say something about the beloved Teflon Don! I Love the USA with all my heart and soul, but I cannot STAND Barack Obama's polices and practices. So, Am I now un-American. Or ODM, should I be asking you that same question.....Wink

As for what I want from Cal while he is here - WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS! I want Barack Obama to find a way to fix the Economy - But when it's said and done and both of them accomplish more championships than can fit in the rafters and my 401K has so much money my Great, Great, Great, Great Grandkids will never be able to spend it all - I still will NOT have to like either of themConfusednicker:
vundy33 Wrote:Heck, I'm not even worried. It's Nov-Dec. We will get it together.

Yes they will, they are more talented than any team in the country, thus when they "get it", they will enjoy great success, because that's what teams with the most talent do! Too many people are jumping off the bandwagon, going so far as to say they SUCK! That is completely ridiculous! This team is closer to the team that played with dUKe than they are the team over the last two games...
Stardust Wrote:Hunh??? I am 100% positive you are NOT referring to me, because absolutely ZERO of the above fits above. I have been 100% consistent for 15 years! I didn't start 4!!!!!

LOL, I have said that I have never EVER liked Cal, thus I have been more honest with my feelings than ANYONE!

It's so very funny when members here make up what they want to make up when it comes to what I have said. I have always said that 1) I don't like Cal, thus I would be two-faced to all of a sudden say I do. 2) I have always given Cal credit for his ability to recruit and get his athletes to drink the Cool-Aid (pretty sure I have compared him to John Wooden on that one) 3) have always contended that Cal is NOT an X's and O's coach and has relied on his talent versus his ability to COACH out of games. Sure, blind squirrels find nuts, but it still does not mean they can see Wink

Now, it's almost ridiculous when someone here LOVES UK Basketball, but they dare say something about the beloved Teflon Don! I Love the USA with all my heart and soul, but I cannot STAND Barack Obama's polices and practices. So, Am I now un-American. Or ODM, should I be asking you that same question.....Wink

As for what I want from Cal while he is here - WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS! I want Barack Obama to find a way to fix the Economy - But when it's said and done and both of them accomplish more championships than can fit in the rafters and my 401K has so much money my Great, Great, Great, Great Grandkids will never be able to spend it all - I still will NOT have to like either of themConfusednicker:

No no no no, SD. This is not what I'm saying. I'm saying to give credit where it is due. All the arguments that I've made on this thread have not once said you HAVE to like Calipari just because he's our coach. I'm just saying to give him his due credit, which you haven't exactly done, but you seem to have backed off the "Cal can't coach" stuff just a tad, which is nice.

Saying that, I agree with your argument. And I'm saying we should give Obama credit where it is due. Only problem with that is..I don't see where any credit is due! :Clap:
^ I have never seen Obama and Cal at the same time, I think they are both the same person. Both THINK they know about basketball Confusednicker: