Poll: Who Wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
(1) Ohio State
41.94%
(4) Kentucky
58.06%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(1) Ohio State vs. (4) Kentucky 3/25 (Sweet 16)
Friday

(1) Ohio State vs. (4) Kentucky 9:45 pm CBS (Newark, NJ)
zaga_fan Wrote:So if you think that OSU is going to win you aren't being realistic?
UK is playing the top seed in the tournament at a neutral site....
not Arkansas on the road.

Explain to me how predicting OSU to win is being "unrealistic"?

What I meant by that was saying Kentucky doesn't have a chance to win is being unrealistic. Predicting Ohio State to win isn't being unrealistic. In fact, it's the most probable outcome. But if you're saying Kentucky doesn't have a chance in this game, you are being unrealistic.

I should have been more clear in my post. I apologize.
Belfry0304 Wrote:You lost most of your credibility when you failed to mention (in my opinion) the best player in Scarlet & Gray... William Buford.

Ohio State is a very complete team, Buford/Lighty/Diebler makes for a three headed three point shooting monster, and all of them are capable of putting it on the floor and going down for an impressive finish. Diebler is more likely to stay back and pop the three but Lighty and Buford will beat you off the dribble. They're long and athletic. This is where Kentucky's issue may be, they have the length in the guards with Liggins and Miller but I'm not sure they have the quickness of Lighty and Buford.

Harrelson will match up well against Sully. Jorts has a huge body, but he needs to be aware that OSU's game runs through Sullinger. The feed goes into Jared where he either gets his shot, gets fouled (he's a solid FT shooter) or gets extra attention and swings it back out to the open wing who will make you pay.

I think the matchup is tough for my Buckeyes, and it makes me nervous. I am confident with Craft guarding Knight, I just hope it's Buford on Jones, Sully on Jorts, Lighty on Lamb, and Diebler on whoever is easiest to guard cause the kid couldn't guard the free throw line itself. Hopefully Cal can figure out what kind of defense they're playing Tongue Go Buckeyes!

I certainly did mention Buford (if you read my whole post). The kid can drive to the bucket, shoot the three, and is a great player. I am in no way forgetting about him or counting him out.

I agree that OSU's guards are long and athletic, but so are UK's. I think UK's wings matchup defensively with Ohio State's wings as well as anyone in the tournament. I expect them to create problems for Diebler, Lighty, Buford, and certainly Craft.

Of course, the matchup between Harrellson and Sullinger will be the most interesting in this game though. I think Harrellson has the body to slow Sullinger down, but Sullinger does an excellent job (better than anyone I can think of in recent memory) at drawing fouls. Not only does he draw fouls, but he is also excellent at absorbing the contact to finesse the shot in or just power dunk the ball. He's not as tall as most of his opponents, but he definitely more than makes up for it with strength and size. Harrellson is a big body too though like you said and is a tough matchup for Sullinger. Though if Harrellson gets in foul trouble early, it could spell trouble for the Cats. It will definitely be interesting.

As for Craft guarding Knight, I feel comfortable myself. Craft is a good defender, but Knight has had success against many defenders with similar skill sets as Craft's this season. Look what he did against against West Virginia's Michael Flowers Saturday, who is a better defender than Aaron Craft in my opinion.

If Buford guards Jones, then I definitely like that mismatch. I doubt Matta will put Buford in that position though. I expect Lauderdale to be on Jones and if that happens, I don't expect Jones' offensive slump to end Friday.

Cal will know the defense, don't worry. Matta doesn't throw a mix complex defenses at a team like Bob Huggins.
WV scared me more than Ohio State. Cats by 3
outdoorsman43 Wrote:What I meant by that was saying Kentucky doesn't have a chance to win is being unrealistic. Predicting Ohio State to win isn't being unrealistic. In fact, it's the most probable outcome. But if you're saying Kentucky doesn't have a chance in this game, you are being unrealistic.

I should have been more clear in my post. I apologize.

Agreed.
Kentucky definitely has a shot in this one.
UK sill hasn't played up to their potential this year IMO.
Miller was nowhere to be found in the first 3/4 of the season.
Terrence Jones takes games off every once in a while.
Lamb disappears and reappears with the best of them.
Harrelson should get a double-double every game but he doesn't.

I'd like to see everyone find their niche and contribute evenly but I don't know if it's going to happen against OSU.
This is the game for them to find their niche or its all over.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I certainly did mention Buford (if you read my whole post). The kid can drive to the bucket, shoot the three, and is a great player. I am in no way forgetting about him or counting him out.

I agree that OSU's guards are long and athletic, but so are UK's. I think UK's wings matchup defensively with Ohio State's wings as well as anyone in the tournament. I expect them to create problems for Diebler, Lighty, Buford, and certainly Craft.

Of course, the matchup between Harrellson and Sullinger will be the most interesting in this game though. I think Harrellson has the body to slow Sullinger down, but Sullinger does an excellent job (better than anyone I can think of in recent memory) at drawing fouls. Not only does he draw fouls, but he is also excellent at absorbing the contact to finesse the shot in or just power dunk the ball. He's not as tall as most of his opponents, but he definitely more than makes up for it with strength and size. Harrellson is a big body too though like you said and is a tough matchup for Sullinger. Though if Harrellson gets in foul trouble early, it could spell trouble for the Cats. It will definitely be interesting.

As for Craft guarding Knight, I feel comfortable myself. Craft is a good defender, but Knight has had success against many defenders with similar skill sets as Craft's this season. Look what he did against against West Virginia's Michael Flowers Saturday, who is a better defender than Aaron Craft in my opinion.

If Buford guards Jones, then I definitely like that mismatch. I doubt Matta will put Buford in that position though. I expect Lauderdale to be on Jones and if that happens, I don't expect Jones' offensive slump to end Friday.

Cal will know the defense, don't worry. Matta doesn't throw a mix complex defenses at a team like Bob Huggins.

Really enjoyed reading this post, good knowledge (:

No time to type alot, but Lauderdale doesn't play a whole lot at all. He starts but Craft comes in rather quickly.
Kentucky has never beaten Ohio State in the tournament.

I still believe though

UK by 4
Ballers Wrote:Avatar bet?

Sure, I hope you win and I'm wrong, lol.
My hearts saying Kentucky, but my heads saying KENTUCKY! Cats by 7 expect a huge game from Liggins, Miller, and Jorts. The upper classmen shalt show the pups how to win.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:If Buford guards Jones, then I definitely like that mismatch. I doubt Matta will put Buford in that position though. I expect Lauderdale to be on Jones and if that happens, I don't expect Jones' offensive slump to end Friday.

You think Lauderdale will be able to guard Jones outside?
I think we match up good against them but I don't think we have enough to stop big sully and the other big kid. If UK blocks out and don't let OSU get offensive rebounds then i think we'll be fine or least in the ball game. Plus Jones and Miller is the key to this one. we need them driving to the basket and hit'n those floaters. Go Big Blue!!!!!
LClion4life Wrote:You think Lauderdale will be able to guard Jones outside?

When has Jones been effective from the outside this season besides the Auburn game where he was hitting everything?
outdoorsman43 Wrote:When has Jones been effective from the outside this season besides the Auburn game where he was hitting everything?

I think he means Jones taking him off the dribble.
Aslan Wrote:I think he means Jones taking him off the dribble.
Lauderdale only has to back off him and Jones won't be able to do that.
Okay so after doing some research I believe we can pull this one out. I watched the highlights of Wisconsin beating Ohio St. Now I know we are not Wisconsin, but they won that game by shooting the ball well and taking it to the Buckeyes. Another thing I have figured out Sullinger is 2nd on the team in fouls. If we go at him hard then I believe we can put him in trouble. Stopping Diebler will be a task, but I believe Liggins will put him in fits if he sticks to him. One more thing about the Wisconsin win was Jordan Taylor their point lead them back into the game. With the skill Knight has I believe he could also do the same. He shoots the ball as good or better then Taylor does, and Knights has guys like Miller or Lamb to shoot the rock too. We also need to take Craft he is the most turnover prone guard on their squad. Now we have our fair share of turnovers a game also, but Ohio St. is averaging 7.1 steals per game. I think this game will end up being a barn burner or a game of take away. Both teams average a little bit over 70ppg so I see this being a good one match up wise. I believe we pull this out with a score. With Diebler missing a game tying 3 at the buzzer.

Kentucky 68
Ohio St. 65
J-Rod Wrote:Kentucky actually matches up better with Ohio State than you might expect.

It shall be interesting.

very true, dont look for harrellson to have to big of a game but will have a huge impact for a cat victory by containing big sully. what seems to be left out is factoring knight. Against princeton the cats escaped a first round nail bitter because knight shot 1 for 8 just so happening his only shot made won the game. now for WVU the cats played better and looked alot more crisp while knight had a career high scoring game. I believe knight will play a huge roll. Most importantly the cats D has to limit the three point shots by the bucks shooters
Aslan Wrote:Sure, I hope you win and I'm wrong, lol.

It's a deal. Avatar changed for a week.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Lauderdale only has to back off him and Jones won't be able to do that.

If he backs off of him Jones will jack up 3's and we'll be in trouble Wink
Note: Kentucky is 0-5 all time vs. Ohio State in post season play.
I don't like the match-up - OSU by 5
Gotta disagree here SD.
UK by 5.
Aslan Wrote:I think he means Jones taking him off the dribble.

Yes that's what I mean.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Lauderdale only has to back off him and Jones won't be able to do that.

TJ can pull up for a mid-range jumper if he does that.
Kentucky 77-74.
Sullinger will beat UK by his self..I can't beleive there are more votes for UK to win than Ohio St. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see it happen and I hate Ohio st. with a passion, but let's be realistic.
king360 Wrote:Sullinger will beat UK by his self..I can't beleive there are more votes for UK to win than Ohio St. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see it happen and I hate Ohio st. with a passion, but let's be realistic.

I believe you are a realistic person considering your a Lions fan lol. Realisticly though who would have had VCU in the Sweet 16. This is what this tournament is all about anyone can be beaten on any given day. Let's just hope Friday is that day for Ohio St.
king360 Wrote:Sullinger will beat UK by his self...

lol.
I just think Uk has changed some much since the beginning of the year against teams that have better big men. You will see double teams and lots of them from down low unless OSU is shooting good. I believe UK is not getting any credit for constantly improving themselves during the season. and BTW we should've had that 2 seed that Florida was so kindly given. IMO I believe a 2 seed can easily beat a 1 seed if you look at it in that stand point.
HawksRule Wrote:I believe you are a realistic person considering your a Lions fan lol. Realisticly though who would have had VCU in the Sweet 16. This is what this tournament is all about anyone can be beaten on any given day. Let's just hope Friday is that day for Ohio St.

:Thumbs:

beasy_bo Wrote:I just think Uk has changed some much since the beginning of the year against teams that have better big men. You will see double teams and lots of them from down low unless OSU is shooting good. I believe UK is not getting any credit for constantly improving themselves during the season. and BTW we should've had that 2 seed that Florida was so kindly given. IMO I believe a 2 seed can easily beat a 1 seed if you look at it in that stand point.

:Thumbs: