Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Routers
Which Router would you all say is the fastest and most reliable?
I currently have the 30 dollar Belikin router but find that sometimes my internet runs slow while using it and sometimes it just disconnects and i lose internet for no reason and an orange light comes on when it should be green.
I have a motorola thing that the belkin connects into but its lights are always good and never has problems.
Is this a problem that can be fixed and i just have something messing up or should i get a new one.
If i do need to get a better router what would you all prefer thats a good router.
If you need to get a new router I have been using a Netgear Router for 3 years and have had no problems at all with it.
I have been using D-Link routers at home and in our business for the past several years. It has worked fantastic.
Thanks guys, i know the net gear routers are a tad higher than the belkins and ive never heard of the one sd mentioned, but for a real reliable router id give a 100+ for one. That should get me a pretty good one from what ive been told.
Of the routers that I have used (mostly D-Link, Netgear, Cisco-Linksys), I like Netgear's configuration software best. If you want to improve the range and strength of signal, then upgrading both your router and your PC to wireless-N. Wireless-N supposedly has a much better range and is several times faster than 54g.

I think that the speed and range increases for Wireless-N routers have been exaggerated some but there is no doubt that performance with a Wireless-N router and wireless card is much better than one that maxes out at 54g.

A cheaper way to improve your signal strength might be to replace the antenna on your router with one with higher gain. If the router is located in a cabinet or other place where the path between it and your computer are restricted, you might try moving it to a higher and more open location.

Although I like Netgear, I would not spend $100 on any modem. I would read the reviews on Amazon and go with one of the best rated and lower priced modems made by Netgear, Cisco-Linksys, D-Link, or Buffalo Technologies. Then, if you still have problems, then consider replacing the original antenna(s) with something better.
Stardust Wrote:I have been using D-Link routers at home and in our business for the past several years. It has worked fantastic.

Same here.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Of the routers that I have used (mostly D-Link, Netgear, Cisco-Linksys), I like Netgear's configuration software best. If you want to improve the range and strength of signal, then upgrading both your router and your PC to wireless-N. Wireless-N supposedly has a much better range and is several times faster than 54g.

I think that the speed and range increases for Wireless-N routers have been exaggerated some but there is no doubt that performance with a Wireless-N router and wireless card is much better than one that maxes out at 54g.

A cheaper way to improve your signal strength might be to replace the antenna on your router with one with higher gain. If the router is located in a cabinet or other place where the path between it and your computer are restricted, you might try moving it to a higher and more open location.

Although I like Netgear, I would not spend $100 on any modem. I would read the reviews on Amazon and go with one of the best rated and lower priced modems made by Netgear, Cisco-Linksys, D-Link, or Buffalo Technologies. Then, if you still have problems, then consider replacing the original antenna(s) with something better.

Thanks man, I actually live in a small apartment and like right now, im literally an arms length away from the modem but sometimes still lose it for no reason.
Im hoping that i can get another router and all will be fine but id hate to buy a new wireless router and it still happen. I dont think the range would have anything to do with it as both the desktop which is right beside it and the labtop which i usually use in the recliner beside it are really close to it.
I think im gonna go with a net gear router from wal mart. When my net works good its as fast as can be, but man sometimes i want to break it.
Another wierd thing is when i watch netflix through my wii console it loses internet connection quite a bit and has to search and load while at my dads house on his wii it works fine and never does that.
Ill try a new router out and let you all know how it goes, thanks to everyone for the help.
Cisco.. Anything else is just 2nd.
If you are dropping on a wireless router you might want to change the channel in the settings.
You could just be getting interference from other routers on the same frequency nearby.
Also....
try putting the router in the middle of the home/office in an elevated place.
zaga_fan Wrote:If you are dropping on a wireless router you might want to change the channel in the settings.
You could just be getting interference from other routers on the same frequency nearby.
Also....

How would i change the channel?
I do pick up 3 other wireless networks on my computers but only ever connect to mine, which is password protected.
zaga_fan Wrote:If you are dropping on a wireless router you might want to change the channel in the settings.
Also....

Listen at you, Sykes has corrupted your mind lol jk:lmao:
Bolt Wrote:How would i change the channel?
I do pick up 3 other wireless networks on my computers but only ever connect to mine, which is password protected.

Some routers have the option and some don't.
There could be a switch under the router or it could be where you mess with the settings on your computer.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Listen at you, Sykes has corrupted your mind lol jk:lmao:

If someone asks me about a wireless router as SYKES I'm supposed to say....

Sir/mam, we don't support your wireless router.
I would advise contacting the vendor responsible for your equipment for further troubleshooting Wink
Okay thanks for the help guys.
My router doesnt have the place to switch the channels on it but it does have the web site you can go to to change it for yourself.
My channel was on Auto, i switched it to channel 1 and all seems well.
Get a router that you can flash with the tomato or ddwrt firmware. Flashing with these custom firmwares will turn your 40 dollar router into a 500 to 600 dollar router. I flash all my routers with tomato. Once you flash you can even enable the router as a wireless repeater. I turned the one in wives photo studio(next to the house) into a wireless repeater. It communicates with the router in the house, and she can plug all of her devices/computer/printer/etc. directly into the router ports.

The best feature of tomato IMO is the feature rich QOS classification. This is invaluable if you have a lot of people on your network. For example if you are playing Xbox live or PSN, you can set it to throttle everyone else down to lower bandwidth so you never lag.
DDWRT has similar features and is compatible with more routers, however, I am more partial to tomato because I love the interface. I have installed both, really easy to flash the firmware. Both are open source and free.

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index
Great stuff QQ
torQQue Wrote:Get a router that you can flash with the tomato or ddwrt firmware. Flashing with these custom firmwares will turn your 40 dollar router into a 500 to 600 dollar router. I flash all my routers with tomato. Once you flash you can even enable the router as a wireless repeater. I turned the one in wives photo studio(next to the house) into a wireless repeater. It communicates with the router in the house, and she can plug all of her devices/computer/printer/etc. directly into the router ports.

The best feature of tomato IMO is the feature rich QOS classification. This is invaluable if you have a lot of people on your network. For example if you are playing Xbox live or PSN, you can set it to throttle everyone else down to lower bandwidth so you never lag.
DDWRT has similar features and is compatible with more routers, however, I am more partial to tomato because I love the interface. I have installed both, really easy to flash the firmware. Both are open source and free.

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

This sounds really in depth to a retard like myself on a computer.
I would love to be able to play without ever lagging and realize that all you have to do is pretty much download the software, however, what routers will work with the tomato program? I take it my 40 dollar Belkin Router is not one of them? Id hate to download the stuff and not be able to figure out how to get connected or something.
And all thats ever on my router at one time at the most would be a labtop, desktop and game system. Usually the wife is on the labtop while i play some call of duty or something, causing incredible lag for me and sometimes even completely disconnecting us both.

Thanks QQ
Bolt Wrote:This sounds really in depth to a retard like myself on a computer.
I would love to be able to play without ever lagging and realize that all you have to do is pretty much download the software, however, what routers will work with the tomato program? I take it my 40 dollar Belkin Router is not one of them? Id hate to download the stuff and not be able to figure out how to get connected or something.
And all thats ever on my router at one time at the most would be a labtop, desktop and game system. Usually the wife is on the labtop while i play some call of duty or something, causing incredible lag for me and sometimes even completely disconnecting us both.

Thanks QQ

DDWRT supports most router models. I have only ever installed Tomato on Cisco/Linksys routers. I exclusively purchase Tomato compatible Linksys routers because I love the firmware features so much.

The wireless repeater/bridge features are invaluable too, especially if you have a large house and want to "amplify" your signal throughout the house or even outside. Or, maybe you have a xbox or computer upstairs and dont want to purchase wireless cards and/or run network cable all through the house. Setup one these flashed routers up as a wireless bridge and plug your xbox or computer network cable directly into the router. The bridge will communicate with your router downstairs wirelessly, eliminating the need to run network cable all over your home, or purchasing expensive wireless cards. They make excellent print servers too. You get other nice features such as alerts, bandwidth tracking, in-depth access restriction rules, configurable quality of service, etc.

However, I don't think the Belkin routers are supported by Tomato. But I have installed DDWRT on many of Netgear and Belkin routers for friends and/or family members. DDWRT has a similar feature set to Tomato.

Here is the DDWRT compatiablity list. Make sure you download the correct firmware for your model before flashing, otherwise you may brick your router.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices
QQ installed DDWRT firmware on my junk linksys router that I had given up on. It would always get disconnected from the internet and I would have to unplug it to get the internet back on. After he installed this Firmware it hasnt failed me since.
Thanks QQ, youve been a big help. I am in the process of downloading now. Ill let you know how it turns out.
Netgear nighthawk routers are great.