Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2011 7th & 8th Grade State Championship Favorites?
Workouts should be starting soon, if they haven't already. Which teams should everyone look out for by the end of the year?
Since the 8th grade state championship is actually three divisions, meaning three state champions, I would have to think that the Eastern Division would be won by either Johnson County or Boyd County (especially with the addidtion of Baker to the Boyd team). If is am not correct in stating there are three divisions, please advise.
ashfan Wrote:Since the 8th grade state championship is actually three divisions, meaning three state champions, I would have to think that the Eastern Division would be won by either Johnson County or Boyd County (especially with the addidtion of Baker to the Boyd team). If is am not correct in stating there are three divisions, please advise.

There are 3 divisions: NEKC teams in division 1 are Boyd, East, Lawrence, & Greenup; Division 2 is Verity; Division 3 is Raceland...

Johnson Co. is also Division 1.
Just FYI, the first round of the KMSFA State Playoffs will begin on Saturday, October 15th, 2011.

The semi-finals and finals will be held in Lexington on October 29th & 30th, respectively.

Mark your calendars now!
East Carter Bowl
9/4 GC vs Rowan CO. 30-0
9/5 GC vs East Carter 44-0
9/6 GC vs Raceland 12-6 Championship Game

Regular Season

9/11 GC vs Raceland 18-6
9/14 GC vs Garrison 40-0
9/21 GC vs Vanceburg 38-0
9/25 GC vs East Carter 48-12
10/2 GC vs Raceland 8-0
10/12 GC vs Vanceburg 36-0
10/16 GC vs East Carter 38-0

*GC Bowl
10-30 GC vs Boyd Co. 36-6
11/2 GC vs Ashland 46-0 Championship Game

12 wins 0 loses
Point total for the 2010 year 394-30....This is from there 6th grade season.
Raceland does not look bad when you look at scores and since Raceland is a division 3 school-(small) and can hang with the division 1 schools, I would have to say that Raceland would be the favorite in their division. Since we had 6 7th graders playing 8th grade ball last year and got beat in the STATE game,,, that only makes the future brighter. PLus this Raceland 6th grade team will be middle school now and with the high school coaches coaching the middle school program.....well just look for some UPSETS this coming year.
Ram-Fan Wrote:Raceland does not look bad when you look at scores and since Raceland is a division 3 school-(small) and can hang with the division 1 schools, I would have to say that Raceland would be the favorite in their division. Since we had 6 7th graders playing 8th grade ball last year and got beat in the STATE game,,, that only makes the future brighter. PLus this Raceland 6th grade team will be middle school now and with the high school coaches coaching the middle school program.....well just look for some UPSETS this coming year.

With Raceland not playing in the 7th grade division. What other teams in the area will be able to hang with GC? Raceland was the only team to play GC close.
Coupon21 Wrote:With Raceland not playing in the 7th grade division. What other teams in the area will be able to hang with GC? Raceland was the only team to play GC close.
I dont know that anyone in the area will give GC a challange. They will have to step it up once they get in the playoffs and play teams from other areas of the state. I watched this team twice last season and they are really really good. Coupon21 has these boys playing some football, I think they run the belly as well as our high school team....lol. The Dillon boy is great back.
Here is the issue of GC football from someone who knows how the system works. It is great for them to play as a combined team in the conference because that gives them an advantage. But is also hurts them because that makes them a division 1 -large school in the playoffs. Yea you may be able to compete around here but when you gotta go play Johnson County and other schools in the division 1 class you are going to be in trouble. I remember in the 7th grade game this past fall at Lex Cath. One kid turned 15 on his birthday, that day. This was not at JC this was from another school down state. JC is just big and good, but what you will find and ask the current 8th grade Greenup team about their experience last year as 7th graders. There are quite a few kids in these bigger schools who are 15 in the 8th grade. Or 14 in the 7th grade, they turn that age during the season.
It falls in line with the HS rule of not turning 19 before Aug 1st, so they are legal, but when you start looking at the maturity level of a 11-12 year old playing against a 14-15 year old there is a big difference. KYMSFA has restrictions in playing and monitor it well. But as long as there is that big of a difference the playing fields are gonna be scewed......
Plus as Greenup finds out. you may be the big dog in the area but the door gets slammed hard when you hit the playoffs in the Division 1 class. I wish them luck this coming football season and can not wait to play against them. I think they will be a good game for the Middle School Rams this coming year.
Ram-Fan Wrote:Here is the issue of GC football from someone who knows how the system works. It is great for them to play as a combined team in the conference because that gives them an advantage. But is also hurts them because that makes them a division 1 -large school in the playoffs. Yea you may be able to compete around here but when you gotta go play Johnson County and other schools in the division 1 class you are going to be in trouble. I remember in the 7th grade game this past fall at Lex Cath. One kid turned 15 on his birthday, that day. This was not at JC this was from another school down state. JC is just big and good, but what you will find and ask the current 8th grade Greenup team about their experience last year as 7th graders. There are quite a few kids in these bigger schools who are 15 in the 8th grade. Or 14 in the 7th grade, they turn that age during the season.
It falls in line with the HS rule of not turning 19 before Aug 1st, so they are legal, but when you start looking at the maturity level of a 11-12 year old playing against a 14-15 year old there is a big difference. KYMSFA has restrictions in playing and monitor it well. But as long as there is that big of a difference the playing fields are gonna be scewed......
Plus as Greenup finds out. you may be the big dog in the area but the door gets slammed hard when you hit the playoffs in the Division 1 class. I wish them luck this coming football season and can not wait to play against them. I think they will be a good game for the Middle School Rams this coming year.

:Thumbs: Good post and very, very true.I was not at the state 7th grade finals but some of our plyer and coaches were. There was one kids on the N. Laurel 7th grade team with a beard. It is hard to play straight up when lalot of others are not. Just keep your eyes on the bigger prize down the road in high school. the age difference 17/18 and 19 is not nearly as big as 12 to 14.
WILDCAT NATION Wrote::Thumbs: Good post and very, very true.I was not at the state 7th grade finals but some of our plyer and coaches were. There was one kids on the N. Laurel 7th grade team with a beard. It is hard to play straight up when lalot of others are not. Just keep your eyes on the bigger prize down the road in high school. the age difference 17/18 and 19 is not nearly as big as 12 to 14.

And always remember: There is a tab to preview your post at the bottom of the page. Use it to avoid looking like your drunk-posting at 10:45 on a Monday morning....... Like I did.
WILDCAT NATION Wrote::Thumbs: Good post and very, very true.I was not at the state 7th grade finals but some of our plyer and coaches were. There was one kids on the N. Laurel 7th grade team with a beard. It is hard to play straight up when lalot of others are not. Just keep your eyes on the bigger prize down the road in high school. the age difference 17/18 and 19 is not nearly as big as 12 to 14.

Your post about teams not playing straight up is crap. If you have a 12 year old playing in 7th grade against 14 year olds that is on you as a parent. BTW I dont remember any of the players on North Laurel having a beard.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:Your post about teams not playing straight up is crap. If you have a 12 year old playing in 7th grade against 14 year olds that is on you as a parent. BTW I dont remember any of the players on North Laurel having a beard.

I guess your right...I should have started my boys out to where they can join the army as high school juniors....I'm sorry but the last time I checked, 12/ turning 13 is the CORRECT age for a 7th grader in the state of KY. If your kid is 14 in the 7th grade then that is on the parent for holding their kid back to make them look like a better athlete because they are older. They always look like a superstar in middle school, then the vast majority just blend in with the rest in high school because everyone else has caught up in ability. Teach them how to PLAY THE GAME and not to rely on the fact that they are older and more mature for a couple of years. And as for the beard...no offense but I'll believe the 4 people that were there I know.
8th Grade....if any team defeats Boyd this year in the NEKC, i will be shocked.
Lexington Catholic 8th grade will be loaded.
Kids develop quicker than others, I have seen 14 year olds with beards. If a player doesn't turn 15 before August 1st he is legal. So if he is legal it doesn't matter if he's grizzly adams. Personally we have a no facial hair policy in season for this very reason. I encourage all of our players to hold back. I see no harm what so ever in it. Those kids that are 17 as seniors are still two years than those 19 year olds. Thats an extra year of education too. I am a teacher and I have a class full of holdbacks and the majority will score distinguished and without the extra year they may have only been proficient or worse. It is pointless to argue this because no one who is against holding back will ever be satisified and likewise for those pro holdback.
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:I guess your right...I should have started my boys out to where they can join the army as high school juniors....I'm sorry but the last time I checked, 12/ turning 13 is the CORRECT age for a 7th grader in the state of KY. If your kid is 14 in the 7th grade then that is on the parent for holding their kid back to make them look like a better athlete because they are older. They always look like a superstar in middle school, then the vast majority just blend in with the rest in high school because everyone else has caught up in ability. Teach them how to PLAY THE GAME and not to rely on the fact that they are older and more mature for a couple of years. And as for the beard...no offense but I'll believe the 4 people that were there I know.

First let me get this straight you are going off of hearsay according to the N.L. player having a beard. You are listening to parents of players complaining about an N.L. team who was actually undersized with the exception of one player(who still had no beard). Parents will always make up stories about players from the other teams. Many times this season I had heard Harlan Co. had numerous kids with beards and tattoos, yet when we finally played them they were just really big kids. As for the age discrepancies, I was unaware that there was a CORRECT age for upcoming seniors. I knew there was an age requirement, but I had never heard that it was only CORRECT if you child began their senior year at the age of 17. Bottom line there are rules and guidelines that everyone must follow. Some parents believe that it's better to do everything possible within these guidelines to better their child's future. And others will complain while those parents take advantage of the situation.
Greenup 7th grade is almost always outsized, but do things right and are fast. Doesnt matter how big you are if you cant catch them. Raceland's 7th grade is twice the size of the GC boys but GC beat them all 3 times they played. Not saying they wont be facing alot better competition next season, but I believe they can play with whoever they line up against.
KnightTime Wrote:Lexington Catholic 8th grade will be loaded.

Just kind of curious because their 7th grade team wasn't very good.
Heard that Greenup will be split again into McKell and Wurtland for 2011 football season, any truth in this, or is this just a rumor?????
Ram-Fan Wrote:Heard that Greenup will be split again into McKell and Wurtland for 2011 football season, any truth in this, or is this just a rumor?????

I haven't heard anything about this but that doesn't mean its not being floated around by people wanting them split. GC needs to hire and announce a new high school head coach first (hopefully soon) and see the direction that person thinks is best for the middle school program. Personally, i hope they stay together but its hard to tell what will happen.
In response to footballfever, The Lexington Catholic 7th grade wasn't all the great because the majority of the 8th grade team was made up of seventh graders. I think there were a total of 10 seventh graders that were starters or major contributors to the 8th grade state runners up.
Mullins was announced yesterday as head coach at Greenup.
Rumor update-- seems like they are staying together, or that is the talk right now...
Allsports#1 Wrote:Mullins was announced yesterday as head coach at Greenup.

Sounds good to me! I figured he would be but was just waiting for the announcement.
Don't forget about the Williamsburg Jackets. They are returning 6 starters from last years championship team including what many thought was their best player that was out most of the year due to injury.
Hey Newjacket why wont Williamsburg play Bell Co. in Lexington Catholic Bowl. They needed somebody to play you all and Bell said they would but your Coach said noway.
Guess you would have to ask the coach that, but I have seen our s hedge and we have plenty of big time games scheduled. Guess you guys are just big and tough for us. Smile
Who are the teams to watch from the west?
Williamsburg is D3 and only have >60 boys in their M.S. compared to Bell who has 250+. They will have a better game versus a school similar to their size.