3. Mayfield 4-0
4. Middlesboro 4-0
5. Danville 2-2
6. Hancock County 4-0 
7. Murray 2-1 
8. West Carter 2-1
9. Green County 3-0 
10. Metcalfe County 2-2

Others receiving votes: 11. Somerset, 12. Walton-Verona 13. McLean County, 14. Caldwell County, 15. Shelby Valley, 16. Butler County, 17. Breathitt County, 18. Morgan County

Thoughts?
(09-14-2021, 09:43 AM)Bull got out! Wrote: Class 2A AP Rankings 9/13

1. Beechwood 4-0
2. Lexington Christian Academy 4-0
3. Mayfield 4-0
4. Middlesboro 4-0
5. Danville 2-2
6. Hancock County 4-0 
7. Murray 2-1 
8. West Carter 2-1
9. Green County 3-0 
10. Metcalfe County 2-2

Others receiving votes: 11. Somerset, 12. Walton-Verona 13. McLean County, 14. Caldwell County, 15. Shelby Valley, 16. Butler County, 17. Breathitt County, 18. Morgan County

Thoughts?

Id really like to see Mayfield play, I almost feel like they’ve been wrote off this year, because of the hype surrounding Beechwood and LCA, which imo is a mistake.  They could very well be good enough to beat either Beechwood or LCA come playoff time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TD Hounds's post:
  • rookie57
How in the world does Somerset receive votes?
(09-14-2021, 10:05 AM)jamesclay Wrote: How in the world does Somerset receive votes?

Expectations maybe, they where solid for a few years and most prolly don’t realize how much they’ve fell off.
I think that LCA should be number 1. They have the best wins, as far as second I can live with beechwood there but I’m not sure their wins are any better than Mayfield’s.
(09-14-2021, 07:02 PM)rookie57 Wrote: I think that LCA should be number 1. They have the best wins, as far as second I can live with beechwood there but I’m not sure their wins are any better than Mayfield’s.

Agreed I’ve watched LCA play and they’re the real deal, Brown at RB is a game changer for them he’s worth the price of admission and they’ve got some really good talent around him.  Beechwood is winning but a lot of the hype surrounding them is from Herrgot which is understandable but I’ve not watched them play to make comparisons.  I think, even though I haven’t seen them play, that Mayfield is gonna be right there at the end of the season, guess it’s just a gut feeling.
  • rookie57
(09-14-2021, 10:05 AM)jamesclay Wrote: How in the world does Somerset receive votes?
The sorry state of Ky football overall. Well the quantity of good teams. Same with 3A. A 1-3 Ashland was ranked 10th. Haha. I get there are instances where a very good team  with a tough schedule could start out like that. But- no offense to somerset- but they shouldn’t receive any votes. 

In all reality, it was some clueless person who was voting on the name alone. Happens about every year. It seems like one year Casey county was getting first place votes. Most of AP is a joke. The polls on BGR are more accurate than anything.
i would love to see middlesboro play one of 1-3 to see where they would stand
I recall in 1993 Mayfield went 0-3. They lost to Fulton Co, PT and Graves Co. Everyone had written them off. They went on to win the state championship in 2a over a team no one expected them to beat. So, just because someone has a record of 1-3, does not mean they can’t be a top 10 team. May be things we are just not seeing yet, especially with the added issues of a Covid year and all. No one really knows what may happen this year. I personally think they should wait until around 5 games into the season to even try to predict who will be top ten.
(09-15-2021, 02:03 AM)mysonis55 Wrote: I recall in 1993 Mayfield went 0-3. They lost to Fulton Co, PT and Graves Co. Everyone had written them off. They went on to win the state championship in 2a over a team no one expected them to beat. So, just because someone has a record of 1-3, does not mean they can’t be a top 10 team. May be things we are just not seeing yet, especially with the added issues of a Covid year and all. No one really knows what may happen this year. I personally think they should wait until around 5 games into the season to even try to predict who will be top ten.

I agree except for waiting 5 games and ranking, our state as a whole is rotten to the core with nepotism.  I’ve lived in a couple more states in my life and nothing compares with the politics and good ole boy system here.  I love it here don’t get me wrong, but all you have to do is look at the All state selections at the end of each year to see just how bad it is, kids with D1 offers and commitments left off for kids you’ve never even heard of.
  • rookie57
(09-15-2021, 01:51 AM)mr yellow jacket Wrote: i would love to see middlesboro play one of 1-3 to see where they would stand
I'm a Middlesboro fan and alum and Middlesboro would Lose to LCA, Beechwood and Mayfield by 30-40+ its just a different friend.

Don't get me wrong Middlesboro is a much better team and program but overall Middlesboro doesn't have enough yet to compete with those teams they just don't.  Hazard and Williamsburg are good teams but they aren't near those teams.

Chances are based on RPI we may see one of em in the playoffs so we will see then.   If I'm wrong I will eat my crow but I doubt I am.
(09-15-2021, 09:25 AM)tazcat Wrote:
(09-15-2021, 01:51 AM)mr yellow jacket Wrote: i would love to see middlesboro play one of 1-3 to see where they would stand
I'm a Middlesboro fan and alum and Middlesboro would Lose to LCA, Beechwood and Mayfield by 30-40+ its just a different friend.

Don't get me wrong Middlesboro is a much better team and program but overall Middlesboro doesn't have enough yet to compete with those teams they just don't.  Hazard and Williamsburg are good teams but they aren't near those teams.

Chances are based on RPI we may see one of em in the playoffs so we will see then.   If I'm wrong I will eat my crow but I doubt I am.

I agree, what French has been able to do in a short time is very impressive and Middlesboro can get there but the 3 teams mentioned have a plethora of talent, stars surrounded by solid high school football players.  I don’t know how much French has left in the tank but but if he can get the kids, some athletic basketball players to come out, in another 3 to 4 years boro could be  right there.
(09-15-2021, 09:40 AM)TD Hounds Wrote:
(09-15-2021, 09:25 AM)tazcat Wrote:

I agree, what French has been able to do in a short time is very impressive and Middlesboro can get there but the 3 teams mentioned have a plethora of talent, stars surrounded by solid high school football players.  I don’t know how much French has left in the tank but but if he can get the kids, some athletic basketball players to come out, in another 3 to 4 years boro could be  right there.
Yes French has done a good job but changing districts, not playing Bell and lightening the schedule has helped.

The culture had to change, was no discipline up there anymore.  Basketball program was a mess, hired Coach Morris and 2 yrs later won district and 13th region All A.  So coaching matters, getting players to buy in matters, the talents been there.   

But Boro isn't in the powerhouse conversation like the Boro was in the late 90s and early 2000s at this time.  IMO they deserve the #4 ranking but there's a big drop-off after #3

I have been able to get a look at Somerset a couple times and I’ve looked at their roster on the KHSAA website. 

Six returning seniors. 3 of them get minutes and of those 2 didn’t dress against Paintsville (I hear the running back is out for the season? If so, hate it for that young man) 

While there is some talent on the team, they got the early ranking for their successes over the past couple years and they’re now exposed. A lot of offense woes (turnovers, play calling isn’t bad it’s just predictable, inexperience) are causing their young defense to be on the field too much. The first half against Paintsville showed they can hang with teams but they can’t finish drives without errors or timing issues. 

I wouldn’t compare this team to an 0-3 Mayfield team whatsoever but this team has scheduled over their means. There’s only 4 games left on their schedule they can even compete in and even those teams are better overall as of today. (Except maybe Washington County) 

Somerset is in for one of the longest seasons they’ve had in a while since they were young and went 0-10 a few years back. IF the nucleus of their best players stay with it, they’ll better next year. But if kids get their spirits broken and quit/transfer, they’re in for another long year in 2022.
Hearing they are good on defense. Just on the field to long like you said, offense struggling.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • GreyStoke
(09-16-2021, 05:23 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: Hearing they are good on defense. Just on the field to long like you said, offense struggling.

Looks to be ok on defense. Even an ok defense looks bad when they’re out of gas and the offense isn’t putting up points to keep morale high. Defense wants a break and something to continue to fight for. 

Playing Corbin tomorrow isn’t going to help prove much.
[-] The following 1 user Likes GreyStoke's post:
  • Bull got out!