Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flat Earth
Is there anyone out there considered themselves a "Flat Earther" ?   I have come across quite a few of them online(you Tube, especially). I  wonder if they deep down really believe what they espouse or if it's just a case of wanting to grab some attention or just argue for the sake of arguing. They seem pretty passionate about their views.  It seems like religious beliefs also play a role in Flat-Earthers model of a  Pancake-shaped home planet. I guess a round Earth and an ever-expanding Universe that is 13.8 billion years old  doesn't subscribe to their religious model. 

What do you all think of the Flat Earth argument and their belief in a big conspiracy among NASA and  other scientists that want to keep us ignorant of the "Truth"?

I appreciate your thoughts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Hound05
I would estimate there is around 70 million of them if you went by the results of the election
(12-14-2020, 02:39 PM)vector#1 Wrote: I would estimate there is around 70 million of them if you went by the results of the election

I would say you are SPOT ON .
I think the thought/belief of a flat earth is asinine. But it's entirely up to the individual as to what they believe.

I don't know why but oftentimes, the crazier the belief, the more intense the passion.
(12-18-2020, 08:12 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: I think the thought/belief of a flat earth is asinine.  But it's entirely up to the individual as to what they believe.

I don't know why but oftentimes, the crazier the belief, the more intense the passion.

The more I think about this, the more I'm convinced you are exactly right. I want to ponder on this some more.
The flat Earth conspiracies are probably the best indicator of stupidity to exist in modern times. Ancient Greeks were able to figure out that our planet is not flat more than 2,000 years ago and made fairly accurate estimates of the Earth's diameter and circumference. Ptolemy estimated that only one-fourth of the planet was known to the Greeks, which also proved to be a pretty accurate estimate. Anybody who has any doubts about the shape of the Earth should be able to prove to themselves that it is not flat armed with only a good pair of binoculars or a telescope. Ships gradually disappear or appear over the horizon because of the curvature of the surface.

For the Earth to be flat, millions of people would have to be part of the conspiracy to keep the truth from us. There are so many technologies that are affected by the planet's curvature such as radio, GPS, and land surveying, that it should be obvious to any human being that we live on a sphere.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • Old School Hound
(02-27-2021, 04:34 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: The flat Earth conspiracies are probably the best indicator of stupidity to exist in modern times. Ancient Greeks were able to figure out that our planet is not flat more than 2,000 years ago and made fairly accurate estimates of the Earth's diameter and circumference. Ptolemy estimated that only one-fourth of the planet was known to the Greeks, which also proved to be a pretty accurate estimate. Anybody who has any doubts about the shape of the Earth should be able to prove to themselves that it is not flat armed with only a good pair of binoculars or a telescope. Ships gradually disappear or appear over the horizon because of the curvature of the surface.

For the Earth to be flat, millions of people would have to be part of the conspiracy to keep the truth from us. There are so many technologies that are affected by the planet's curvature such as radio, GPS, and land surveying, that it should be obvious to any human being that we live on a sphere.

Perfect!!!

Plus, humans have known what eclipses  are for a very long time.  A lunar eclipse should be proof enough, you would think.  Now, if I looked up at the moon during an eclipse and saw this I might join the Flat Earth Society:

[Image: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/image...g&usqp=CAU]
[-] The following 2 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • Hoot Gibson, LOOKAYANNER
Stupid thread that attacks religious people. Useless waste of time and bandwidth. Notice the "seems" and "I guess" that always accompany these very thinly veiled idiotic political statements. Nobody knows anybody who thinks the Earth is flat.

It seems like religious beliefs also play a role in Flat-Earthers model of a  Pancake-shaped home planet. I guess a round Earth and an ever-expanding Universe that is 13.8 billion years old  doesn't subscribe to their religious model.
BTW for the ignorant, this is a vast majority Judeo-Christian country who believes God created all the heavens and Earth. Shapes aren't important. I know some people hate that but it is a fact.
(04-02-2021, 11:07 PM)jetpilot Wrote: BTW for the ignorant, this is a vast majority Judeo-Christian country who believes God created all the heavens and Earth. Shapes aren't important. I know some people hate that but it is a fact.

How about just answering the question, Jetson?   Do you believe in a literal hell- a fiery place of infinite torment for finite wrongdoings?

"Shapes are not important"   ...   You saying all that's important is that people believe God is in control of the heavens and earth and it's not important what shape people believe the earth is?   I believe it's very important that a person doesn't suspend rational thought and that he places trust in the scientific method over some figment of his imagination that makes him FEEL safer or more special than he really is.
(04-03-2021, 10:28 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(04-02-2021, 11:07 PM)jetpilot Wrote: BTW for the ignorant, this is a vast majority Judeo-Christian country who believes God created all the heavens and Earth. Shapes aren't important. I know some people hate that but it is a fact.

How about just answering the question, Jetson?   Do you believe in a literal hell- a fiery place of infinite torment for finite wrongdoings?

"Shapes are not important"   ...   You saying all that's important is that people believe God is in control of the heavens and earth and it's not important what shape people believe the earth is?   I believe it's very important that a person doesn't suspend rational thought and that he places trust in the scientific method over some figment of his imagination that makes him FEEL safer or more special than he really is.
I don't know anyone who thinks the Earth is flat and neither do you. Nobody else does either. The real point of this thread is to promote your dislike of religious people. And if you think religion is just to make people feel more special than they are, you have raised the bar yet again on ignorance and hate.
(04-04-2021, 09:55 AM)jetpilot Wrote:

I don't know anyone who thinks the Earth is flat and neither do you. Nobody else does either. The real point of this thread is to promote your dislike of religious people. And if you think religion is just to make people feel more special than they are, you have raised the bar yet again on ignorance and hate.
LOL sCiEnCe. Like the big bang theory or man came from apes? HAHAHAHAHA.
Rasmussen Reports
@Rasmussen_Poll
·
17h
"Do you believe that Jesus Christ rose from the dead?"

1000 National Adults - Yes
White - 69%
Black - 76%
Other Non-White - 70%
Democrats - 65%
Unaffiliated - 63%
Republicans - 85%
All Adults - 70%
I mean, not to make light of their plea, but there's millions of men and women who believe they were born into the body of the wrong sex. To the point that they'll pay $50k to someone who will chop their stuff off. So no, it doesn't surprise me that there's people who believe the earth is flat.

There's also people who believe in the hollow earth theory.

And a large block of Americans believe the sun revolves around the earth.

So..... I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised by ANY belief that people have.
i just dont understand why, who it affects and for whose benefit?

its not like i wake up and first thing i think about is whether the earth is flat or round. if you have like 10,000 days + on earth you probably figured out how to do stuff that works out pretty well for you regardless.
I don’t even think Flat Earthers believe the Earth is flat. Attention seekers, wanting to be different for the sake of a good argument/debate about a stupid subject. I know people that will take the opposite view of of the majority if there is a choice, such as cheering for a particular team. I had a good friend who I know for a fact was a UK fan when he was young and years later he started wearing a Louisville cap or shirt around our eastern Kentucky town and he got plenty of the response he was hoping for. Everyone he met had a reaction and it was a negative one, but friendly. I think someone gave him the cap and he just started wearing it and he had so much fun with it that he started buying Uof L apparel and openly cheering for them.
The Flat Earth believers are similar. Deep down they know it’s nonsense but they love the negativity and shock expressions from people when they talk about it.
(04-02-2021, 11:01 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Stupid thread that attacks religious people. Useless waste of time and bandwidth. Notice the "seems" and "I guess" that always accompany these very thinly veiled idiotic political statements. Nobody knows anybody who thinks the Earth is flat.

It seems like religious beliefs also play a role in Flat-Earthers model of a  Pancake-shaped home planet. I guess a round Earth and an ever-expanding Universe that is 13.8 billion years old  doesn't subscribe to their religious model.
I don’t believe the earth is flat, but honestly I don’t care one way or another haha. But I can show you some dang good evidence about the universe being 13.8 billion years old being false that would definitely make you think.
(11-14-2022, 09:58 AM)Hound05 Wrote:
(04-02-2021, 11:01 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Stupid thread that attacks religious people. Useless waste of time and bandwidth. Notice the "seems" and "I guess" that always accompany these very thinly veiled idiotic political statements. Nobody knows anybody who thinks the Earth is flat.

I don’t believe the earth is flat, but honestly I don’t care one way or another haha. But I can show you some dang good evidence about the universe being 13.8 billion years old being false that would definitely make you think.
It needs to be extremely “dang good evidence” because the science community worldwide overwhelmingly are on the same page about the age of the earth and the age of the universe.

In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded...is your "sCiEnTifIc" method lol