Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
13th Region and Mountain Basketball Trivia
What school represented the 13th region in the Sweet Sixteen for the first and only time in its last year of existence?  (and the only 13th region team to be the subject of a feature article in the NY Times)
That would be Brodhead, which beat Middlesboro and their big man Robert Mayhall in the finals, a huge upset. Brodhead (along with I think Livingston and Mt. Vernon), consolidated into Rockcastle Co. the very next year. I can remember always listening to Don Estep of Corbin do the 13th region and state tournament broadcasts of games from those days, he was a damn fine radio announcer.

On your teammates of Selvy question, the coaching legend is of course the great Roy Kidd. My dad played at Clay Co. during this very same era, was a pretty good player (or at least that’s what he said, hee hee) but he never got to the state tournament because Corbin had a run of six in a row that coincided with his high school career.
(02-13-2021, 08:07 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: That would be Brodhead, which beat Middlesboro and their big man Robert Mayhall in the finals, a huge upset.  Brodhead (along with I think Livingston and Mt. Vernon), consolidated into Rockcastle Co. the very next year.  I can remember always listening to Don Estep of Corbin do the 13th region and state tournament broadcasts of games from those days, he was a damn fine radio announcer.

On your teammates of Selvy question, the coaching legend is of course the great Roy Kidd. My dad played at Clay Co. during this very same era, was a pretty good player (or at least that’s what he said, hee hee) but he never got to the state tournament because Corbin had a run of six in a row that coincided with his high school career.

Very nice.    Correct on Broadhead. They won the 13th region title for their first and only time in 1972, before consolidating into Rockastle County. They lost in the first round to , I believe, Warren East, who lost to eventual champion, Owensboro.

Don Estep was a fine, fine radio announcer. I listened to his 13th region coverage growing up. He would do the 13th region from opening tip until final buzzer on WCTT in Corbin. Don would also call the state tourney as well. Before the 13th region's representative(which was usually Clay Co. when I was growing up)) played their state tourney game, Don would interview the coach. I can remember many interviews Don did with Coach Keith of Clay Co. Don seemed to be a big fan of Coach Keith. I've known Don most of my life. His mother and my grandmother lived on the same street and were longtime friends.

You are correct, of course, on the great Roy Kidd. He was born and raised in Corbin, where he was a multi-sport athlete at CHS.
The other teammate of Selvy on the 1949-50 Corbin team that went to the Sweet Sixteen and finished 33-3  was Jerry Bird, who had a fine career at UK under Coach Adolph Rupp. Bird is the brother of UK legends, Rodger and Calvin, who had great football careers at UK, and the father of Steve, who led Coach Kidd's EKU team to I-AA national titles in '79 and '82.
62%  of all 13th region titles have been won by three schools. Each of these schools have also won a state title. Can you name all three?

BONUS:  Five 13th region schools (the three referenced above and two others) have won a Boys State Tournament Championship.  In addition to the three schools in the first question, can you name the other two schools representing the 13th region that have won a Boys Sweet Sixteen State Tourney Title???
While you are chewing on the previous question, I have another one for my Clay County friends on here.

From 1950 all the way to 2017( a span of 68 years) , the Clay County Tigers failed to advance to the 13th regional tournament just ONE time.  Do you know the year the Tigers failed to make the regional tournament? Also, what two schools represented the 49th District in the region tournament that year  ?
Another game I attended, this time with my dad as I was still in grade school. It was 1977, OBI won, I think 77-75 on Clay’s home floor. OBI had Ben Franklin, a great talent and a guy named Roger Caldwell that was really good. I remember thinking they might win the region, then they got upset by one of the Harlan Co. teams (Cumberland maybe?) in first round of the region. Not sure who other 49th team was, I guess it had to be Jackson Co. or Rockcastle Co.
I think Franklin was only a freshman that year. It seems I remember a showdown in 1980 between Franklin and Cox with both scoring 40-plus.
Ben Franklin was a lot of fun to watch. Hell of a talent.  Hellava  patriot.

Good job, Van , on the Clay Co. question.    Franklin and OBI upset Clay by two points in the opening round of the district in '77 and then beat Rockastle in the title game.   I remember the regional well because I was a freshman that year at CHS and the regional tournament was at Corbin. I recall being excited to watch Franklin and OBI.   The Mountaineers lost by two points to Cumberland in the opening round.  Bell County beat Middlesboro in the championship game. Ironically, the two teams with the highest LIT ratings at the end of the '77 season was Clay and Cawood, and both fell short in the post-season(I think Cawood lost to eventual champ, Bell, in the first round of the regional).

After Brodhead's surprising run to the 13th region title in '72, Clay Co. began to assert its dominance for nearly two decades.   From 1973 to 1990 , only two schools prevented Bobby Keith's Tigers from a clean sweep of all 13th region championships during that  18-year period.  Can you name these schools?
The  team with easily the best record in the 13th region in 1997-98 went on to win in the quarterfinals and semifinals of the region tournament at Clay County. They then lost in a close regional final to the  homestanding Tigers.  This school has had only one other victory in school history in a regional tourney game.   Name the school. 
Red Bird is the answer to the last question
Red Bird was actually legitimately good that year, I’m pretty sure that’s the year Paul Blackburn for them led the state in rebounding.

The answer to the other question is Middlesboro and Bell Co. Middlesboro won back-to-back in ‘82 and ‘83. They were led by Jeff Kyle, who signed with Minnesota when Clem Haskins was coaching there. They beat Clay in finals in ‘82, Richard Hampton, Clay’s best player, and a Middlesboro big man (Epperson I think?) got tossed for elbows, cost Clay that one IMO. The next year Cawood with David Hensley beat Clay in the semis (probably weakest Clay team of the Keith era) then lost to Middlesboro in the finals. If you want to talk about a team that was snakebit, Cawood had the talent to win the region probably 10 times before consolidation, and never won one. Again, HCS could provide more in-depth info on that.

Bell won in ‘77 and ‘80, I remember going to Freedom Hall to watch them in ‘80, my junior year in high school.
(02-15-2021, 11:08 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: Red Bird was actually legitimately good that year, I’m pretty sure that’s the year Paul Blackburn for them led the state in rebounding.

The answer to the other question is Middlesboro and Bell Co. Middlesboro won back-to-back in ‘82 and ‘83. They were led by Jeff Kyle, who signed with Minnesota when Clem Haskins was coaching there. They beat Clay in finals in ‘82, Richard Hampton, Clay’s best player, and a Middlesboro big man (Epperson I think?) got tossed for elbows, cost Clay that one IMO. The next year Cawood with David Hensley beat Clay in the semis (probably weakest Clay team of the Keith era) then lost to Middlesboro in the finals. If you want to talk about a team that was snakebit, Cawood had the talent to win the region probably 10 times before consolidation, and never won one. Again, HCS could provide more in-depth info on that.

Bell won in ‘77 and ‘80, I remember going to Freedom Hall to watch them in ‘80, my junior year in high school.

Nice job. Yes, amazing that Cawood didn't win a region title. They had some really good teams.

Van ,  wasn't Jeff Kyle a pretty darn good football player too?

Seems like I remember there being rumors all around town that Jeff Kyle was going to transfer to Corbin. Unfortunately for Corbin, it never happened. He was a TERRIFIC athlete.

(02-14-2021, 02:36 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: 62%  of all 13th region titles have been won by three schools. Each of these schools have also won a state title. Can you name all three?

BONUS:  Five 13th region schools (the three referenced above and two others) have won a Boys State Tournament Championship.  In addition to the three schools in the first question, can you name the other two schools representing the 13th region that have won a Boys Sweet Sixteen State Tourney Title???

Any thoughts on this one guys?
Clay, Harlan and Corbin, I think.

I could write a book on Cawood's heartbreak in the regional - four trips to the finals, not to mention the 77, 78, 01, 02 teams that could have won. I'm an 81 graduate, so same as you Van Hagar.
(02-15-2021, 03:03 PM)HCS Wrote: Clay, Harlan and Corbin, I think.

I could write a book on Cawood's heartbreak in the regional - four trips to the finals, not to mention the 77, 78, 01, 02 teams that could have won. I'm an 81 graduate, so same as you Van Hagar.

I would read that book. Cawood was very tough during those stretches.  Btw, and I may be wrong on this, but I think Redbird's only other victory in a regional game was against the Trojans of Cawood.  HCS, correct me if I am mistaken on that.

Btw, you are correct on Clay , Corbin, and Harlan with the majority of regional titles.  Clay with 29 , Corbin with  15, and Harlan with  11.

Also, I want to thank you guys who participate in the thread answering these questions. I appreciate your interest. You all are incredibly knowledgeable on this topic.
48 years ago on this very evening, Feb. 15, 1973,  a game took place between a 13th region school and a tiny Quaker school of 55 students from Tennessee that gained national attention. Media from across the country took notice. Why?  Because the Tennessee high school team had amassed a losing streak that had reached a staggering 138 games, a streak spanning six long years.  Richard Nixon was president on this night but the Tennessee school had not tasted victory since the Lyndon Johnson administration and the Monkees were singing "Last Train to Clarksville."  There was no taking a train to Clarksville on that night, as the tiny gym in Friendsville, south of Oak Ridge, was filled to capacity in hopes of watching  the nation's longest losing streak come to an end.  And that's exactly what happened , as the home team came away with a 62-43 win, setting off a wild post-game celebration. According to an article the next day in the NY Times, "the game ended with a riot scene in the gym."  Walter Cronkite reported the outcome of the game on his CBS evening newscast the next night.  While one long losing streak came to an end that night, another one continued. It was the 49th consecutive loss for the 13th region school.

Can you name the 13th region school that lost this game that still lives in infamy nearly fifty years since it was played?
(02-14-2021, 02:36 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: 62%  of all 13th region titles have been won by three schools. Each of these schools have also won a state title. Can you name all three?

Clay has won the 13th region 29 times; Corbin 15 times ;  Harlan  11 times .

13th Region Teams with a State Tournament Title:

Corbin(1936)

Hazel Green (1940)

Harlan (1944)

Clay Co. (1987)

South Laurel (2005)

Here's a record that Reed Sheppard is almost certainly to break : the number of 50-point games recorded.  He has already had games of 54(against Corbin) and 50(against South). He also had  near miss with 48 against Cov. Holy Cross.

That's brings me to my question.   There have been only two 13th region players to have scored 50-points or more in a game THREE times . Several have done it twice but only two have accomplished the feat three times. Can you name those two 13th region players?
OSH, I’m pretty sure South was still in the 12th when they won the title. It was right around the time they got switched to the 13th, but I think it was before. And Hazel Green I’m pretty sure has always been 12th region.
Yes, Williamsburg won the 13th in 1940 and Corbin in 2005.
(02-16-2021, 12:49 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: OSH, I’m pretty sure South was still in the 12th when they won the title. It was right around the time they got switched to the 13th, but I think it was before. And Hazel Green I’m pretty sure has always been 12th region.

I put in the wrong year on South. They won State in 2006, not 2005. They were in the 13th region, their first year in the region. That was the year they got by Barbourille by  1 point in the finals.   Also.  Hazel Green did, in fact, leave the 13th region before they won the title in '40.  I know Corbin beat them in the regional final in '36, the year the Hounds won State.   I think '36 may have been Hazel Green's last year in the 13th. My bad, we have only had four 13th Region State champs.

(02-16-2021, 01:58 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(02-16-2021, 12:49 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: OSH, I’m pretty sure South was still in the 12th when they won the title. It was right around the time they got switched to the 13th, but I think it was before. And Hazel Green I’m pretty sure has always been 12th region.

I put in the wrong year on South. They won State in  2005.   Also.  Hazel Green did, in fact, leave the 13th region before they won the title in '40.  I know Corbin beat them in the regional final in '36, the year the Hounds won State.   I think '36 may have been Hazel Green's last year in the 13th. My bad, we have only had four 3   13th Region State champs.

Second correction. South won in '05, when they were in the 12th.  My apologies.

Corbin, Harlan , and Clay are the only State Champs while 13th region schools. Hazel Green and South are  former and current 13th region teams who won state while apart of another region. How's that ?   LOL
I just wanted to follow up on Hazel Green. As I mentioned they lost in the 13th region finals to Corbin( I think it was just by a couple of points) when the Hounds won the state title in '36.   Hazel Green also won the 13th Region in '33 and '34.
Only three 13th Region players have ever scored 40 or more points in a single Sweet Sixteen game.  I have had the pleasure of watching all three perform.  Can you name them?  ( I now, I know , one's a gimme) 
Two 13th region players, one who played part of his HS career in the 13th, the other his entire career in the 13th, are tied for the fourth -most total points scored in all Sweet Sixteen Tournaments they appeared in. 

They share the same last name 

but not the same degree of fame ;

One is well known in KY lore 

and one  set an SEC record  as a 'Dore ; 

One wore green , the other wore red;

Now someone answer this damned question before I'm dead .

Who are they ?
North Laurel has been a scoring machine this year. If my math is correct, the Jags are averaging  91.7 ppg , and that's even after being slowed to 64 pts. by Coach Davis' Cards last game.  However, there's one 13th region team from a few decades ago that would say to North Laurel, "Hold My Root Beer."  They averaged 95.5 ppg over the entire season. To this day, that remains a record for a KY HS basketball team.   

Can you name this 13th Region record-holding scoring machine of a team?  (The school AND year if you want bonus points)  
Here's a list of questions  still  not answered:

1.  48 years ago on this very evening, Feb. 15, 1973,  a game took place between a 13th region school and a tiny Quaker school of 55 students from Tennessee that gained national attention. Media from across the country took notice. Why?  Because the Tennessee high school team had amassed a losing streak that had reached a staggering 138 games, a streak spanning six long years.  Richard Nixon was president on this night but the Tennessee school had not tasted victory since the Lyndon Johnson administration and the Monkees were singing "Last Train to Clarksville."  There was no taking a train to Clarksville on that night, as the tiny gym in Friendsville, south of Oak Ridge, was filled to capacity in hopes of watching  the nation's longest losing streak come to an end.  And that's exactly what happened , as the home team came away with a 62-43 win, setting off a wild post-game celebration. According to an article the next day in the NY Times, "the game ended with a riot scene in the gym."  Walter Cronkite reported the outcome of the game on his CBS evening newscast the next night.  While one long losing streak came to an end that night, another one continued. It was the 49th consecutive loss for the 13th region school.

Can you name the 13th region school that lost this game that still lives in infamy nearly fifty years since it was played?

2. Here's a record that Reed Sheppard is almost certainly to break : the number of 50-point games recorded.  He has already had games of 54(against Corbin) and 50(against South). He also had  near miss with 48 against Cov. Holy Cross.

That's brings me to my question.   There have been only two 13th region players to have scored 50-points or more in a game THREE times . Several have done it twice but only two have accomplished the feat three times. Can you name those two 13th region players?

3.   [i][b]Only three 13th Region players have ever scored 40 or more points in a single Sweet Sixteen game.  I have had the pleasure of watching all three perform.  Can you name them?  ( I now, I know , one's a gimme) [/i][/b]

[i][b]4.  [b][i]Two 13th region players, one who played part of his HS career in the 13th, the other his entire career in the 13th, are tied for the fourth -most total points scored in all Sweet Sixteen Tournaments they appeared in. [/b][/i][/i][/b]

[i][b][b][i]  Now someone answer this damned question before I'm dead .[/b][/i][/i][/b]

[i][b][b][i]5.   [b][i]North Laurel has been a scoring machine this year. If my math is correct, the Jags are averaging  91.7 ppg , and that's even after being slowed to 64 pts. by Coach Davis' Cards last game.  However, there's one 13th region team from a few decades ago that would say to North Laurel, "Hold My Root Beer."  They averaged 95.5 ppg over the entire season. To this day, that remains a record for a KY HS basketball team.   [/i][/b][/b][/i][/i][/b]

[i][b][b][i][b][i]Can you name this 13th Region record-holding scoring machine of a team?  (The school AND year if you want bonus points)  [/i][/b][/b][/i][/i][/b]
(02-17-2021, 05:30 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Here's a list of questions  still  not answered:

1.  48 years ago on this very evening, Feb. 15, 1973,  a game took place between a 13th region school and a tiny Quaker school of 55 students from Tennessee that gained national attention. Media from across the country took notice. Why?  Because the Tennessee high school team had amassed a losing streak that had reached a staggering 138 games, a streak spanning six long years.  Richard Nixon was president on this night but the Tennessee school had not tasted victory since the Lyndon Johnson administration and the Monkees were singing "Last Train to Clarksville."  There was no taking a train to Clarksville on that night, as the tiny gym in Friendsville, south of Oak Ridge, was filled to capacity in hopes of watching  the nation's longest losing streak come to an end.  And that's exactly what happened , as the home team came away with a 62-43 win, setting off a wild post-game celebration. According to an article the next day in the NY Times, "the game ended with a riot scene in the gym."  Walter Cronkite reported the outcome of the game on his CBS evening newscast the next night.  While one long losing streak came to an end that night, another one continued. It was the 49th consecutive loss for the 13th region school.

2. Here's a record that Reed Sheppard is almost certainly to break : the number of 50-point games recorded.  He has already had games of 54(against Corbin) and 50(against South). He also had  near miss with 48 against Cov. Holy Cross.

That's brings me to my question.   There have been only two 13th region players to have scored 50-points or more in a game THREE times . Several have done it twice but only two have accomplished the feat three times. Can you name those two 13th region players?

3.   [i][b]Only three 13th Region players have ever scored 40 or more points in a single Sweet Sixteen game.  I have had the pleasure of watching all three perform.  Can you name them?  ( I now, I know , one's a gimme) [/i][/b]

[i][b]4.  [b][i]Two 13th region players, one who played part of his HS career in the 13th, the other his entire career in the 13th, are tied for the fourth -most total points scored in all Sweet Sixteen Tournaments they appeared in. [/b][/i][/i][/b]

[i][b][b][i]  Now someone answer this damned question before I'm dead .[/b][/i][/i][/b]

[i][b][b][i]5.   [b][i]North Laurel has been a scoring machine this year. If my math is correct, the Jags are averaging  91.7 ppg , and that's even after being slowed to 64 pts. by Coach Davis' Cards last game.  However, there's one 13th region team from a few decades ago that would say to North Laurel, "Hold My Root Beer."  They averaged 95.5 ppg over the entire season. To this day, that remains a record for a KY HS basketball team.   [/i][/b][/b][/i][/i][/b]

[i][b][b][i][b][i]Can you name this 13th Region record-holding scoring machine of a team?  (The school AND year if you want bonus points)  [/i][/b][/b][/i][/i][/b]

The three players from the 13th region to score 40+ in a Sweet Sixteen game are Richie Farmer, Russ Chadwell and Bo Roaden.
(02-18-2021, 12:24 AM)nedreader Wrote:
(02-17-2021, 05:30 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Here's a list of questions  still  not answered:

The three players from the 13th region to score 40+ in a Sweet Sixteen game are Richie Farmer, Russ Chadwell and Bo Roaden.
Nice!   Two of my favorite guys to watch play was Richie and Russ(although they sent us down to several losses)  Russ could jump out of the gym, just had amazing hops and Richie was just so smart out on the floor.  I've known  Bo all my life. His dad was my Senior League baseball coach and Bo was just a little tyke back then.   Of course , Ritchie got his  51 against Ballard in the '88 title game, Russ got 43 against, I think, Highlands in '87 , and Bo had 42 against Knott Co. Central in '91 .
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • nedreader

Answer:  St. Camillus Academy(Corbin)

Answer:   Nick Sanford(Cawood)   ;   Dinky Phipps(Barbourville)

3.   [i][b]Only three 13th Region players have ever scored 40 or more points in a single Sweet Sixteen game.  I have had the pleasure of watching all three perform.  Can you name them?  ( I now, I know , one's a gimme)     

[/i][/b]
Answer:    Richie Farmer(Clay Co.) against Ballard in '88     ;                                                                     Russ Chadwell(Clay Co.) against Highlands in '87    ;
            Bo Roaden (Corbin) against Knott Co. Central in '91

Answer:     Rick Jones(Corbin/Scott Co.)   ;      "Wah Wah"  Jones(Harlan)

Answer:     1983 Oneida Baptist Mountaineers
A 13th Region school won back-to-back All-A State Titles, with the same player receiving the MVP awards both years.  What school and what MVP?

Bonus:   What two opponents did they beat in  the title games in winning those back-to-back titles?
I covered both of those games.

What schools won the first three 13

Sorry, it posted before I was done.
I covered both of those games, so I will leave that one open for now.

What schools won the first three 13th Region All "A" titles
1990 -
1991 -
1992 -
That's why they play the game ...

In  2018 , Harlan  qualified for the 13th Region tournament with only six wins on the season .  In the years following WWII, there have been twenty-seven times in which a team with just a single digit win total on the season qualified for the regional tournament.  Just  ONE  of those twenty-seven times did a team with a win total under 10 actually win a game in the regional. I was a sophomore in high school when it happened.  It occurred in 1978 and it remains to this day the biggest upset in the history of the 13th regional tournament.  With only  9 wins coming into the regional tournament , this team upset a team that was 24-1 on the season.

Who was the winning and losing teams in this monumental upset???