Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Individual Performances by a Wildcat
I was thinking tonight about some of the all-time greatest individual performances by a Kentucky Wildcat. The reason I was pondering this is because 12 years ago this very night, Jan. 13, 2009, Jodie Meeks lit up Tennessee in Knoxville for a school record  54 points. It was the best individual performance I have seen. Jodie was in some kind of zone . Here's a clip of Meeks' performance that night.    What is your favorite individual performance by Cat?

Monk's freshman record 47 pts. against UNC was pretty special:

(01-13-2021, 10:53 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: I was thinking tonight about some of the all-time greatest individual performances by a Kentucky Wildcat. The reason I was pondering this is because 12 years ago this very night, Jan. 13, 2009, Jodie Meeks lit up Tennessee in Knoxville for a school record  54 points. It was the best individual performance I have seen. Jodie was in some kind of zone . Here's a clip of Meeks' performance that night.    What is your favorite individual performance by Cat?

I remember watching that game on tv. He was in the zone that night.  I also remember Melvin Terpin lighting up the Vols for 42 points his junior year.  This was back in the day when everyone absolutely lived and breathed UK basketball and it was absolutely impossible to get tickets to any of their games.  Players generally stayed for all four years of their eligibility, and fans could tell you absolutely everything about them.  It was a time when the team was bigger than the individual players.  Sorry for getting off topic there.
(01-14-2021, 08:20 AM)Westside Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 10:53 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: I was thinking tonight about some of the all-time greatest individual performances by a Kentucky Wildcat. The reason I was pondering this is because 12 years ago this very night, Jan. 13, 2009, Jodie Meeks lit up Tennessee in Knoxville for a school record  54 points. It was the best individual performance I have seen. Jodie was in some kind of zone . Here's a clip of Meeks' performance that night.    What is your favorite individual performance by Cat?

I remember watching that game on tv. He was in the zone that night.  I also remember Melvin Terpin lighting up the Vols for 42 points his junior year.  This was back in the day when everyone absolutely lived and breathed UK basketball and it was absolutely impossible to get tickets to any of their games.  Players generally stayed for all four years of their eligibility, and fans could tell you absolutely everything about them.  It was a time when the team was bigger than the individual players.  Sorry for getting off topic there.
Oh, I remember those days well. I would listen to Cawood and Ralph Hacker on the radio and keep score of the game as I listened to the play-by-play. Never missed a game.

Twin Towers- Bowie and Turpin.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Westside
I’m only 26 so Jodie Meeks 54 and Malik Monks 40 against UNC are up there for me.

Those are really the only two that pop out as far as scoring goes. But Anthony Davis national championship game were he had all those points and dominated the game but didn’t hardly score has to be up there.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • Old School Hound
One of my most fondest memories was back in 2000-2001 against North Carolina there was man by the name of tayshaun prince. Need I say more? Lol
(01-15-2021, 06:42 PM)Oledad92 Wrote: One of my most fondest memories was back in 2000-2001 against North Carolina there was man by the name of tayshaun prince. Need I say more? Lol

Was this the 3 point crazy night?
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(01-15-2021, 06:56 PM)Spud6 Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 06:42 PM)Oledad92 Wrote: One of my most fondest memories was back in 2000-2001 against North Carolina there was man by the name of tayshaun prince. Need I say more? Lol

Was this the 3 point crazy night?
Yes, he hit his first five shots to start the game. All were very deep 3 pointers. The last one was from U on the UK logo at mid court.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
With such rich history its hard to decide but the obvious would be Meeks and monk. I could go through a whole list of best game performances without a career high. Most of you old timers(no offense) know the good ole days when uk fans knew the players by playing 3 or 4 years. Looking back man I think of guys like, jeff sheppard, gereld finch, Wayne turner, Randolf morris, chuck hays,Scott padgett, Keith bogans, prince, sparks, Mashburn the list goes on. But all those guys stats was not superstar stats but they won the hearts of fans by playing whole hearted something IMO Kentucky basketball has fallen away from. I wish they would bring that back

I like cal, but I miss Rick pitino, man if he would have stayed put its untelling how far Kentucky would be ahead today
(01-15-2021, 08:08 PM)Oledad92 Wrote: With such rich history its hard to decide but the obvious would be Meeks and monk. I could go through a whole list of best game performances without a career high. Most of you old timers(no offense) know the good ole days when uk fans knew the players by playing 3 or 4 years. Looking back man I think of guys like, jeff sheppard, gereld finch, Wayne turner, Randolf morris, chuck hays,Scott padgett, Keith bogans, prince, sparks, Mashburn the list goes on. But all those guys stats was not superstar stats but they won the hearts of fans by playing whole hearted something IMO Kentucky basketball has fallen away from. I wish they would bring that back

I like cal, but I miss Rick pitino, man if he would have stayed put its untelling how far Kentucky would be ahead today

My mother LOVED Rick Pitino. No doubt his UK teams played an exciting brand of basketball.
  • Oledad92
(01-15-2021, 08:08 PM)Oledad92 Wrote: With such rich history its hard to decide but the obvious would be Meeks and monk. I could go through a whole list of best game performances without a career high. Most of you old timers(no offense) know the good ole days when uk fans knew the players by playing 3 or 4 years. Looking back man I think of guys like, jeff sheppard, gereld finch, Wayne turner, Randolf morris, chuck hays,Scott padgett, Keith bogans, prince, sparks, Mashburn the list goes on. But all those guys stats was not superstar stats but they won the hearts of fans by playing whole hearted something IMO Kentucky basketball has fallen away from. I wish they would bring that back

I really believe that Pitino regretted leaving UK for Boston. The Pitino years were my favorite time to watch Kentucky basketball. His teams were really fun to watch. They all played hard and together. 
My favorite team was his first team. That coaching job Pitino did that season was amazing, they had no business going 14-14.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(01-15-2021, 09:04 PM)Jarons Wrote:

I really believe that Pitino regretted leaving UK for Boston. The Pitino years were my favorite time to watch Kentucky basketball. His teams were really fun to watch. They all played hard and together. 
My favorite team was his first team. That coaching job Pitino did that season was amazing, they had no business going 14-14.

I agree. That first Pitino team was fun because they overachieved and played their guts out, even though they were undermanned in most games.   Do you remember the game at Phog Allen Fieldhouse?  Kansas put up  150  on us and won by 55.  The Kansas lead grew after leading by 19 at halftime.   UK was out of time-outs .  Jayhawks coach Roy Williams yelled down to Coach Pitino late in the game.
“Rick, what do you want me to do?  We’ve got the third team in…Do you want me to call a time-out for you?"
“Go **** yourself,” was Rick's response, according to those on press row that day.  “You know what you can do with your ****ing time-out.”

Remember what happened the following year?  Pitino's young Cats won by 17 !!!!!   Fun times.
(01-15-2021, 08:53 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

My mother LOVED Rick Pitino. No doubt his UK teams played an exciting brand of basketball.
I wish they would bring him back Kentucky would probably have 15 championships if he would have stuck around like coach K @duke for example. Cal was just a young gun back then. I believe they offered cal such a contract not just because of his ability to recruit players but also so history don't repeat its self, cal needs help.

(01-15-2021, 09:04 PM)Jarons Wrote:

I feel the same way. Pitino & Kentucky go together like peanut butter and jelly. Christian leattner is still a SOB imo lol. Anyway rick could recruit & WIN championships. & even tubby smith won his only championship with ricks team. Cal has one too, and he's good with the kids but he lacks chips. with as much talent as he pulls in for us go read dearon fox interview it will tell all, He pushed them out door. Cal don't care about winning games or chips that's why I want change.. Bring back Ricky P!

14-14 do you think thins years team may share the same fate?
I loved Pitino’s teams, too, but there’s one thing I disagree with you on. Tubby won with the team he had. It didn’t matter if Rick recruited it, it had to be coached. I loved Tubby and I always get a little ticked when people dismiss Tubby’s win as Pitino’s. He was a great game coach, he just wound up not being the recruiter that UK needed. Tubby would very likely have won another one if Keith Bogans hadn’t rolled his ankle before the elite 8 game where Dwayne Wade basically beat us by himself. A healthy Bogans would have at least slowed Wade enough for us to have won that game.
[-] The following 2 users Like Van Hagar's post:
  • Hoot Gibson, Old School Hound
(01-15-2021, 10:42 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: I loved Pitino’s teams, too, but there’s one thing I disagree with you on. Tubby won with the team he had. It didn’t matter if Rick recruited it, it had to be coached. I loved Tubby and I always get a little ticked when people dismiss Tubby’s win as Pitino’s. He was a great game coach, he just wound up not being the recruiter that UK needed. Tubby would very likely have won another one if Keith Bogans hadn’t rolled his ankle before the elite 8 game where Dwayne Wade basically beat us by himself. A healthy Bogans would have at least slowed Wade enough for us to have won that game.

Agree with you again(as I seemingly always do).  Rick's teams were exciting to watch with the pressing  style of play.  Tubby was a terrific coach and an even better human being. You are right about Bogans. Had he been healthy, I think the Tub wins another title.

"Tayshaun is not a Prince; he's a king."    --- Bill Raftery

I’m glad you posted that video of Prince going off, it still gives me chills to this day.
(01-15-2021, 10:42 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: I loved Pitino’s teams, too, but there’s one thing I disagree with you on. Tubby won with the team he had. It didn’t matter if Rick recruited it, it had to be coached. I loved Tubby and I always get a little ticked when people dismiss Tubby’s win as Pitino’s. He was a great game coach, he just wound up not being the recruiter that UK needed. Tubby would very likely have won another one if Keith Bogans hadn’t rolled his ankle before the elite 8 game where Dwayne Wade basically beat us by himself. A healthy Bogans would have at least slowed Wade enough for us to have won that game.
Great post. I also loved Pitino's teams but I was glad to see him go. His annual negotiations with NBA teams got old. I want a great coach at UK who appreciates being there and considers it the top basketball coaching job in the world, not a career stepping stone.

If Pitino had come to UK with that attitude, then he would still be coaching there and probably recognized as the greatest college basketball coach of all time and no worse than second behind John Wooden, IMO. He was a great recruiter and a great developer of players and teams.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • Van Hagar
(01-16-2021, 10:32 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
Great post. I also loved Pitino's teams but I was glad to see him go. His annual negotiations with NBA teams got old. I want a great coach at UK who appreciates being there and considers it the top basketball coaching job in the world, not a career stepping stone.

If Pitino had come to UK with that attitude, then he would still be coaching there and probably recognized as the greatest college basketball coach of all time and no worse than second behind John Wooden, IMO. He was a great recruiter and a great developer of players and teams.

I loved Wooden(though I always rooted for his team to lose, since they rarely ever did). I never missed a chance to watch an interview with the "Wizard of Westwood."  I could listen to him impart his words of wisdom on the world all day long. As much as he liked teaching basketball, John Wooden got his greatest joy from teaching young men about life and how to be better men. Wooden was a legend among legends.
(01-16-2021, 02:33 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

I loved Wooden(though I always rooted for his team to lose, since they rarely ever did). I never missed a chance to watch an interview with the "Wizard of Westwood."  I could listen to him impart his words of wisdom on the world all day long. As much as he liked teaching basketball, John Wooden got his greatest joy from teaching young men about life and how to be better men. Wooden was a legend among legends.
I agree. Wooden was a special coach. There were times when I suspected that the second best team in the country was sitting beside of Wooden on the bench.
(01-16-2021, 02:45 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

I agree. Wooden was a special coach. There were times when I suspected that the second best team in the country was sitting beside of Wooden on the bench.
And I suspect you are right.  I absolutely believe that if Wooden took his second five on most of those teams, he could have beaten any other team in the country. He was THAT good.

Here's another one for some of you old timer's like me.  How about Goose Givens'   41 point performance in the national title game against Duke in'78.  I mean when you bag  41  in the championship game... that's pretty strong.  He scored the last 16 UK pts. in the first half.  No one had a smoother, more deadly aim, from 12-15 feet than Jack Givens.

Anyone remember besides me?

Dick Enberg , Al McGuire, and Billy Packer:

(01-16-2021, 02:53 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

And I suspect you are right.  I absolutely believe that if Wooden took his second five on most of those teams, he could have beaten any other team in the country. He was THAT good.

Here's another one for some of you old timer's like me.  How about Goose Givens'   41 point performance in the national title game against Duke in'78.  I mean when you bag  41  in the championship game... that's pretty strong.  He scored the last 16 UK pts. in the first half.  No one had a smoother, more deadly aim, from 12-15 feet than Jack Givens.

I got on here to specifically to write about Jack Givens' 41 points in 1978 title game.  You beat me to it. 
I was too young to see the game when it happened. I have read about it many times and I have seen many highlights.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jarons's post:
  • Old School Hound
(01-16-2021, 02:53 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

The goose got loose! That was before my time but great video. Givens was a dagger to the heart on opposing teams with that jumper.
Goose was definitely something special that night. When I thought of Jack's play, I thought of smooth, seemingly effortless movement.  There was no wasted effort, a  fine-tuned fluidity .  Givens' play that night resonated smoothness in much the same way that Gerry Rafferty's voice delivered "Baker Street."  That little left-handed mid-range stop and pop was pretty personified.
  • Oledad92
I met tubby once, truly a great man. Tubby had some really good teams too, guys like ramel bradley, Joe Crawford, kelenna azubuike, lukasz obrzut I remember Bradley and Crawford use to give billy donovans gators hell in regular season of course they would end up whooping us by 20 in the end or so on there way to back to back chips but man I miss tubby too. The pre game fear I had for UK playing against top teams of that era will always be in the back of my head

It just occurred to me reading all these post we forgot about Dan issel the previous record holder before Meeks broke it
(01-16-2021, 04:13 PM)Oledad92 Wrote:
I met tubby once, truly a great man. Tubby had some really good teams too, guys like ramel bradley, Joe Crawford, kelenna azubuike, lukasz obrzut I remember Bradley and Crawford use to give billy donovans gators hell in regular season of course they would end up whooping us by 20 in the end or so on there way to back to back chips but man I miss tubby too. The pre game fear I had for UK playing against top teams of that era will always be in the back of my head

It just occurred to me reading all these post we forgot about Dan issel the previous record holder before Meeks broke it

Oh, no, haven't forgotten about big Dan.   Wink
I was just barely in high school when Goose had that magnificent night, remember it like yesterday. And Enberg, McGuire and Packer were just the best as a team, I could listen to McGuire all day. He was Dick Vitale without being so annoying.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • Old School Hound
While maybe not rising to the status of legendary performance, how about Cameron Mills against Florida in '98?  Cam drained three after three after three in route to 31 points in just 20 min . Even though we lost that game, Cam went on to be a significant part of the eventual title run. Who can forget "The Shot" against Duke?

Trivia Question: Who is UK's all-time leader  for single -season three pt. field goal percentage at 53.2%  ?

(01-16-2021, 04:39 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: I was just barely in high school when Goose had that magnificent night, remember it like yesterday.  And Enberg, McGuire and Packer were just the best as a team, I could listen to McGuire all day.  He was Dick Vitale without being so annoying.

Wasn't Enberg just the best?  I would have listened to that guy call a cricket match .   Him and Merlin Olsen were great as an NFL broadcast tandem. I loved a sports game show that Enberg hosted called "Sports Challenge."  
I also loved Curt Gowdy calling NFL football.
(01-16-2021, 04:57 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: While maybe not rising to the status of legendary performance, how about Cameron Mills against Florida in '98?  Cam drained three after three after three in route to 31 points in just 20 min . Even though we lost that game, Cam went on to be a significant part of the eventual title run.  Who can forget "The Shot" against Duke?   

Trivia Question: Who is UK's all-time leader  for single -season three pt. field goal percentage at 53.2%  ?

I remember watching that game. If I remember correctly, Cameron came into the game averaging just a shade over 3 points a game. He was hitting everything that day. I believe that was the last time UK lost that season.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jarons's post:
  • Old School Hound
(01-16-2021, 05:10 PM)Jarons Wrote:
(01-16-2021, 04:57 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: While maybe not rising to the status of legendary performance, how about Cameron Mills against Florida in '98?  Cam drained three after three after three in route to 31 points in just 20 min . Even though we lost that game, Cam went on to be a significant part of the eventual title run.  Who can forget "The Shot" against Duke?   

I remember watching that game. If I remember correctly, Cameron came into the game averaging just a shade over 3 points a game. He was hitting everything that day. I believe that was the last time UK lost that season.

Yep, it a genuine "coming out party."
Another good one, I remember back in the day Kentucky was 30 some points down at half time against LSU pretty sure my pops yelled "damn it!" An broke the remote. Looking up the stats the highest scored was 23 by Walt McCarty but to be down 31 at half and come back to win in 15 minutes that game, I'll never forget as long as I live