Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Betsy Layne
Where is all the Betsy Layne homers at tonight? Not to high on the mountain top at 1-3 are we? ??
Come on man, the Bobcats are just getting started!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bigbluecat's post:
  • SouthEast18
(01-12-2021, 11:00 PM)Milkcrate52 Wrote: Where is all the Betsy Layne homers at tonight? Not to high on the mountain top at 1-3 are we? ??
Lol what? Had Pikeville beat tonight just let it slip away Pikeville has one good player he’s damn good but that’s it . Newsome has coached them 2 weeks. Betsy Layne is right there with the best teams in the region. Other than Sammons best 2 players on the floor wore Blue. Pikeville had zero answer for Robinson and Frazier. So the BL people are right here waiting ready to get better every week.
BL played a really good game tonight and impressed me. Their 4th game to Pikeville 2nd. To say Pikeville has only one good player is asinine. There is more to basketball than how many points you score. Before all the BL fans come on here and say officiating was horrible. Pikeville shot 31 free throws and had 2 players foul out. BL shot 28 and only had 1 player foul out. BL looked better than they have the last four years but they still lost. Pikeville played horrible and still won. At the end of the day winning is all that matters not 3 moral victories, which is what BL has against Region teams this year.

Pikeville still looks like a team that's needs a lot more games under their belt. They got the W tonight and that's all that matters..
You do realize that BL had an 11 point lead and blew it right? And the reason they had that lead was Samons went out for about a 4 minute stretch. Pikeville’s 2nd best player was applying icy hot in between free throws and they was missing a starter right? Betsy Layne isn’t in the same class as Pikeville, and the sooner Betsy Layne homers realize that, it’ll be for the better.
(01-12-2021, 11:24 PM)BoyWonder14 Wrote: BL played a really good game tonight and impressed me.  Their 4th game to Pikeville 2nd.  To say Pikeville has only one good player is asinine.  There is more to basketball than how many points you score.  Before all the BL fans come on here and say officiating was horrible.  Pikeville shot 31 free throws and had 2 players foul out.  BL shot 28 and only had 1 player foul out.  BL looked better than they have the last four years but they still lost.  Pikeville played horrible and still won.  At the end of the day winning is all that matters not 3 moral victories, which is what BL has against Region teams this year. 

Pikeville still looks like a team that's needs a lot more games under their belt.  They got the W tonight and that's all that matters..
Haven’t heard anyone blame the refs. I’ll rephrase Pikeville has one player better than Frazier or Robinson. They may be decent players but I wasn’t impressed with anyone not wearing 15 for white. Very overrated. Sammons however is the best player in the 15th

(01-12-2021, 11:27 PM)Milkcrate52 Wrote: You do realize that BL had an 11 point lead and blew it right? And the reason they had that lead was Samons went out for about a 4 minute stretch. Pikeville’s 2nd best player was applying icy hot in between free throws and they was missing a starter right? Betsy Layne isn’t in the same class as Pikeville, and the sooner Betsy Layne homers realize that, it’ll be for the better.
If you believe they aren’t in the same class you are a straight up idiot lol. That’s all

(01-12-2021, 11:27 PM)Milkcrate52 Wrote: You do realize that BL had an 11 point lead and blew it right? And the reason they had that lead was Samons went out for about a 4 minute stretch. Pikeville’s 2nd best player was applying icy hot in between free throws and they was missing a starter right? Betsy Layne isn’t in the same class as Pikeville, and the sooner Betsy Layne homers realize that, it’ll be for the better.
If you believe they aren’t in the same class you are a straight up idiot lol. That’s all
Pikeville canceled with Belfry. Not BL fault they played more. Pikeville is just trying to his you know cough cough. Hint hint.

We will see you again in a few weeks.
  • SouthEast18
SouthEast18
(01-12-2021, 11:24 PM)BoyWonder14 Wrote: BL played a really good game tonight and impressed me.  Their 4th game to Pikeville 2nd.  To say Pikeville has only one good player is asinine.  There is more to basketball than how many points you score.  Before all the BL fans come on here and say officiating was horrible.  Pikeville shot 31 free throws and had 2 players foul out.  BL shot 28 and only had 1 player foul out.  BL looked better than they have the last four years but they still lost.  Pikeville played horrible and still won.  At the end of the day winning is all that matters not 3 moral victories, which is what BL has against Region teams this year. 

Pikeville still looks like a team that's needs a lot more games under their belt.  They got the W tonight and that's all that matters..
Haven’t heard anyone blame the refs. I’ll rephrase Pikeville has one player better than Frazier or Robinson. They may be decent players but I wasn’t impressed with anyone not wearing 15 for white. Very overrated. Sammons however is the best player in the 15th

A couple fans on the Bobcat sports live Facebook page in the comments were saying officiating was horrible and one even said if the game was on a neutral floor, which it was.    Well when Frazier or Robinson beat a decent 15th region team then we can talk.  Their 0-3 against the Region so far this year and have never played in a Region Tournament.   How about BL fans slow their roll a little.   Win some meaningful games first then we can talk.
(01-12-2021, 11:53 PM)BoyWonder14 Wrote: SouthEast18

A couple fans on the Bobcat sports live Facebook page in the comments were saying officiating was horrible and one even said if the game was on a neutral floor, which it was.    Well when Frazier or Robinson beat a decent 15th region team then we can talk.  Their 0-3 against the Region so far this year and have never played in a Region Tournament.   How about BL fans slow their roll a little.   Win some meaningful games first then we can talk.
I’ll agree with that. We will talk soon. Good luck the rest of the way Panthers
I've watched all if BL games this year and that is the best they've shot. Pikeville couldn't fall off a boat and land in water. To blame refs is insane and if you follow the bobcats media fb page they blame them. Just like every time they lose. 1 guy even said he wished it was played on neutral floor ( I know BL gets 1 gane a year there ( all a ) and they seem to never get out of district. And that's pikevilles 2nd home it still doesn't make it a non neutral court maybe bl should try winning more ) BL gave pikeville their best punch on pikevilles worst night and it still wasn't enough. Yea pikeville was down 11 justice showed y he is the best coach in the region he made defensive adjustments and turned bl over 10+ times in the 2nd half. He exposed the bobcats with that press
Im just waiting on hearing all about the moral victory speech all the BL homers are gonna come on this forum with. You can’t even beat a team on their worse night when you play your best ball and have 5 players in double figures. Beat a Bath county team who graduated 4 starters, do you want a cookie?
Milkcrate, we know you are still mad about the Brad Short firing. So you just want to get on here and bash them since they lost to try and say I told you so and get a little pleasure out of it. But had Brad been coaching this team tonight we’d lost the game before the tip off happened.

And for whatever BL fans are blaming refs. Just stop talking and trying to make us look bad. We lost this game fair and square. Pikeville’s press in the 3rd quarter really won them the game and caused us problems from that moment on. And Jordan Frazier not having a good second half really hurt us as well after the great second quarter he had.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • clipperw
Bobcat sports live didn’t even do the game.

Pikeville did cancel with Belfry. So theirs that too.
Oh don’t get me wrong, I love a good “I told you so.” But that’ll be coming later on in the season I’m sure. When the parents blow up because of coaching decisions like they do with every coach BL has. Betsy Layne has a false perception of what their team every year just because of an all-a state title almost TEN YEARS AGO. If it was a little more of “we lost fair and square” (like you said in your last comment) rather than “them dang refs cheated us” or “that dumb coach” then Betsy Layne wouldn’t get that much hate and might succeed. Until then it will be a losing culture no matter the coach and no matter that kids playing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Milkcrate52's post:
  • EastKY-SportsTalk
(01-13-2021, 12:15 AM)Bigbluecat Wrote: Bobcat sports live didn’t even do the game.

But they did post updates and have a comment section. Go look for yourself.
(01-13-2021, 12:16 AM)Milkcrate52 Wrote: Oh don’t get me wrong, I love a good “I told you so.” But that’ll be coming later on in the season I’m sure. When the parents blow up because of coaching decisions like they do with every coach BL has. Betsy Layne has a false perception of what their team every year just because of an all-a state title almost TEN YEARS AGO. If it was a little more of “we lost fair and square” (like you said in your last comment) rather than “them dang refs cheated us” or “that dumb coach” then Betsy Layne wouldn’t get that much hate and might succeed. Until then it will be a losing culture no matter the coach and no matter that kids playing.

I don’t think anyone has a false perception of Betsy Layne’s basketball program. We’ve sucked since Jr hung it up. The year after that they didn’t even win the district tourney with Peyton Case and a bunch of really good athletes. We had Gary Keathely coaching at that time and then we went to Brad Short who lost to a team in Prestonsburg in the district tourney that didn’t have one of their best players and their best player came back for that one game after he didn’t play all year in Grant Justice. Betsy Layne wasn’t going to turn things around with Short coaching so they brought in a Dereck Newsome who is a BL graduate. 

But now I do agree with you on parents and fans thinking we are something we aren’t.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • clipperw
(01-13-2021, 12:17 AM)Nolietotell Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 12:15 AM)Bigbluecat Wrote: Bobcat sports live didn’t even do the game.

But they did post updates and have a comment section. Go look for yourself.
You can’t blame Bobcat Sports Live for the comments a fan had.  Unfortunately every team has fans that complain about the refs. You can always find that play that someone will question but overall I thought they did a good job.

As for the game Pikeville made the halftime adjustments they needed to and won the game plain and simple.  Betsy layne is much improved but still has some work to do. We will get to see if this is “luck for Betsy Layne” or “Pikeville was having a bad game” later in the season when they play again.  For tonight we enjoyed a great contest and best of luck for both teams in the future.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blackcatdad's post:
  • clipperw
(01-13-2021, 12:16 AM)Milkcrate52 Wrote: Oh don’t get me wrong, I love a good “I told you so.” But that’ll be coming later on in the season I’m sure. When the parents blow up because of coaching decisions like they do with every coach BL has. Betsy Layne has a false perception of what their team every year just because of an all-a state title almost TEN YEARS AGO. If it was a little more of “we lost fair and square” (like you said in your last comment) rather than “them dang refs cheated us” or “that dumb coach” then Betsy Layne wouldn’t get that much hate and might succeed. Until then it will be a losing culture no matter the coach and no matter that kids playing.

yea man I forgot about all Those titles Brad won at AC, he was a legend 
I am a Betsy Layne Homer! This is the first season in about 5 that I felt like we went into a big game and had a chance. I love the atmosphere Coach Newsome is putting together.

We may be 1-3 but if this was last year, we would be 5-0 and beat some solid jenkins, lee county teams. Lol
  • clipperw
BigBlueCat you do realize that their strength of schedule was ranked in the top 3 of last season right? Or the fact that the only team you’ve beat this year is a team who graduated 4 starters? Your argument is invalid about scheduling ?‍♀️

Oh and for the record they didn’t even play Jenkins last year.
Where was Lukas Manns for Pikeville
(01-13-2021, 12:47 AM)Milkcrate52 Wrote: BigBlueCat you do realize that their strength of schedule was ranked in the top 3 of last season right? Or the fact that the only team you’ve beat this year is a team who graduated 4 starters? Your argument is invalid about scheduling ?‍♀️

Oh and for the record they didn’t even play Jenkins last year.

In the top 3 of what?
#BBFL
Last years first 3 games were all wins against

Pike Central 8-21 on the season
Lee County 6-24 on the season
Maggoffin County 15-15 on the season

I’ll take losing to Pikeville and Paintsville who are top region contenders coming into the season. Because losing to good teams at the beginning of the season make you better for the end of the season in hopes of not losing to Prestonsburg team that you beat twice in the regular season and ending their season 9-19.
#BBFL
I was using Jenkins for example. Looks like Spud got my point!
Betsy Layne is playing a better schedule under Newsome and yeah, moral victories arent what they are after, but they are at least competing with teams that are expected to be some of the top teams of the Region. They've not done that in quite some time. Hopefully they will continue to improve and get over that hump and beat some of those teams.

Last year these were the results when Betsy Layne played a team that wound up in the 2020 15th Region Tournament:
73-87 loss to Lawrence County
52-44 loss to Phelps
84-62 loss to Shelby Valley
83-57 loss to Shelby Valley
64-46 loss to Paintsville
71-51 loss to Lawrence County
68-51 loss to Martin County
54-52 loss to Phelps
56-54 loss to Prestonsburg in the District.

They were competitive in the Phelps and Prestonsburg games but honestly as talented as they were last season, they should have won those games but didnt. They've already looked much better than last year and this schedule will only help them improve.
I have been reading on this site forever and just started earlier today to post because I have been cooped up because of Covid. I guess I will step into this one. I thought coach Short done a great job and I have watched him for years. I really thought he had Betsy Layne on their way to compete for a region. They had a great record with a young team. I have been around basketball for 20 years and do not know of that young a team that has done that well in Floyd County. They did get upset in the district which happens sometimes. Nobody in Floyd County gets fired with that kind of record on their second year. Now, before all the Newsome guys go crazy, the season is young and there are alot of games to play. I just think its sad that they have to keep bringing up Brad Short and Gary Keithley. Those guys are gone and no matter how bad you talk about them that don't make you any better. Betsy Layne will and should get to the region this year just like they should with any coach. I actually think that they have a chance to win the region. It is about the Jims and Joes and not the x's and o's so much. Politics happen and people need to move on with both sides. Newsome got a really good team handed to him, probably the best I have seen in Floyd County with the most potential. They should compete for the region this year or next. If not, that would be a huge let down. They are 1-3 now which is not good but they have a whole lot of potential. I think that there are alot of keyboard warriors on these Betsy Layne threads but if everyone takes a step back and has an unbiased point of veiw they would agree with me. Just my opinion and I have a feeling this could go on forever.
(01-13-2021, 01:33 AM)FullCourtPresser Wrote: I have been reading on this site forever and just started earlier today to post because I have been cooped up because of Covid.  I guess I will step into this one.  I thought coach Short done a great job and I have watched him for years.  I really thought he had Betsy Layne on their way to compete for a region. They had a great record with a young team. I have been around basketball for 20 years and do not know of that young a team that has done that well in Floyd County.  They did get upset in the district which happens sometimes. Nobody in Floyd County gets fired with that kind of record on their second year.  Now, before all the Newsome guys go crazy, the season is young and there are alot of games to play. I just think its sad that they have to keep bringing up Brad Short and Gary Keithley.  Those guys are gone and no matter how bad you talk about them that don't make you any better.  Betsy Layne will and should get to the region this year just like they should with any coach.  I actually think that they have a chance to win the region.  It is about the Jims and Joes and not the x's and o's so much.  Politics happen and people need to move on with both sides.  Newsome got a really good team handed to him, probably the best I have seen in Floyd County with the most potential. They should compete for the region this year or next.  If not, that would be a huge let down.  They are 1-3 now which is not good but they have a whole lot of potential.  I think that there are alot of keyboard warriors on these Betsy Layne threads but if everyone takes a step back and has an unbiased point of veiw they would agree with me.  Just my opinion and I have a feeling this could go on
In my UNBIASED opinion on the season so far. It’s early but my top 3 teams in no particular order are JC, Belfry and SV.   BL has played one of those teams and lost by 17.   For the past 3 years all the BL posters on here have celebrated moral victories and used the word POTENTIAL way too many times.   Potential only gets you so far, eventually that potential has to perform.   Yes BL should make the Region this year because FC and Pburg look awful and personally I don’t think Lc isn’t as good as others do on this board.  Until they get there though or beat one of the top tier teams in this Region (JC, Paintsville,MC,SV or Pikeville) I think they shouldn’t be celebrating moral victories.   They played Pikeville well today and maybe even their best shot and still lost.   The top teams in this Region are all going to be better come tournament time.   BL best player is a senior so the talk of Potential isn’t going to fly anymore.  Need to win games.   If BL does that toward the end of the season good for them but until then that Potential has to start performing and closing games out.
Either BL is better than what everyone said they were in the pre season or everyone else isn't as good as we thought. Also what does this say about Belfry? They beat BL by 17 last week.
I thought Betsy Layne was going to play like 9 players, press and get up and down the floor. That's all that I have heard for the last several weeks. They would've played 5 players tonight if there wasn't foul trouble. They sub out the same players and have never subbed one player no matter how he plays. I guess they are afraid he may quit or something. I'm just confused. I think the bench could help out alot but they just don't get a chance unless we play a bad team. The guy that took the game winning shot tonight played a total of like 4 seconds. I could be wrong but I think that the first he got in.
I saw this game, BL looked like the better team pretty much the entire first half. Samons was quiet the entire first half. I felt like Coach Justice came out after halftime with a new game plan and that was to pressure BL like crazy and it worked. BL couldn't handle the pressure and took some poor shots at critical points in the game IMO and still nearly won this one.