Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LCA 28 Somerset 21
This was a thriller. Somerset took some injuries, but took the lead 21-14. LCA tied 21-21. LCA scores late 28-21. Two very good teams. Sheron injured, Gilmore injured, and a lineman which had Johnson move over from center to use JV center. Brown also had injury as well, but returned. It's simple these two teams are egual, but still feel Somerset will take district. Congrats to LCA. A great game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes foozeball80's post:
  • Deuce8
What makes you think Somerset will still take district?
[-] The following 1 user Likes PHSFarmersMarket's post:
  • Tigerallamerican
LCA the unquestionable #1 now!
[-] The following 2 users Like WestCarterComet's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, Deuce8
Hard to beat a good team twice. Same as last year LCA got seed, Somerset got District. Considering Somerset never scored and come back with the injuries they took. I just think they have too many weapons. Like I said two equal teams. They're is know hurt losing to a great opponent by a touchdown, but seeing Somerset fight from being down 14-0 at half to take the lead without key players makes a statement that yes they are as good as LCA.
LCA without question was the better team
All I know I got this one right
(10-17-2020, 12:13 AM)foozeball80 Wrote: Hard to beat a good team twice. Same as last year LCA got seed, Somerset got District. Considering Somerset never scored and come back with the injuries they took. I just think they have too many weapons. Like I said two equal teams. They're is know hurt losing to a great opponent by a touchdown, but seeing Somerset fight from being down 14-0 at half to take the lead without key players makes  a statement that yes they are as good as LCA.
Right now, no, they are not. LCA dominated that game for all but about 10 minutes. Should've been worse than it was.
[-] The following 3 users Like RoShamBo's post:
  • Deuce8, rookie57, Tigerallamerican
(10-17-2020, 12:32 AM)Patriot1 Wrote: All I know I got this one right

(10-17-2020, 12:35 AM)RoShamBo Wrote:
(10-17-2020, 12:13 AM)foozeball80 Wrote: Hard to beat a good team twice. Same as last year LCA got seed, Somerset got District. Considering Somerset never scored and come back with the injuries they took. I just think they have too many weapons. Like I said two equal teams. They're is know hurt losing to a great opponent by a touchdown, but seeing Somerset fight from being down 14-0 at half to take the lead without key players makes  a statement that yes they are as good as LCA.
Right now, no, they are not. LCA dominated that game for all but about 10 minutes. Should've been worse than it was.
I agree with RoShamBo, seems like everyone always picks Somerset regardless of what happens. I’m not a fan of either team but it looked like LCA dominated outside of 3-4 drives
I thought LCA looked like the better team. Pass rush, secondary, and running game looked to have the advantage. Kicker has a booming leg too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Glory_Days's post:
  • Deuce8
LCA clearly a better team. Somerset O-line gave sharon no time the whole 4th quarter. got a lot of work to do if they wanna beat LCA next go around
[-] The following 1 user Likes pocoboy18's post:
  • PoCo13
I'm not disagreeing, just saying Somerset played very bad, but to have 4 turnovers, injuries they got, and still battled back took the lead. As far as line they had to put in JV center shuffle guys out of position on the line. Losing Gilmore hurt the secondary and pass game.  Somerset run game wasn't bad tonight, problem is when something works, they go away from it. I'm not arguing any point. It was a great game and LCA was the better team tonight, but it took 4 qters to win it by 7. If Somerset plays like last week or even a little better they can beat them. Like last year it's LCAs to lose now.
  • Westside
(10-17-2020, 12:40 AM)pocoboy18 Wrote: LCA clearly a better team. Somerset O-line gave sharon no time the whole 4th quarter. got a lot of work to do if they wanna beat LCA next go around
Clearly the better team ? In a 1 score game ? Somerset's entire starting secondary out ..... Gilmore out, Jackson cooper out , Grundy hobbled , sheron injured. Can’t wait for round 2 what a great game . Congrats to LCA
Look, is Somerset capable of beating LCA? Absolutely if they can figure out their own problems. They got dominated over the top tonight even when they knew it was coming, and despite the fact that it's been a hot button topic all season, they continue to rack up penalties.

The score was not indicative of how the game played out though. I watched a 7 point game, but I left feeling like we were dominated by a better team. Not so much so that Somerset isn't capable of closing the gap, but don't kid yourself and pretend like this is just like game 1 in 2019. The 2019 Jumpers had mental issues keeping them from being great before their wake up call at LCA. This team has real problems that they have to address fast. We're only 4 games best case scenario from seeing this team again, and there's a lot to do in not a lot of time.
Take aways :

Last season I thought the LCA game was one of Somerset’s poorer performances. This season much the same.

The offense struggled, the defensive secondary struggled and they had four turnovers while not scoring a couple times in the red zone.

To lose by 7.

So way I see it, there’s a lot to build upon for what we hope is an eventual rematch.

LCA is a great team that is very well coached. Could be the favorite to win the whole thing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes CowboyDad's post:
  • Deuce8
This LCA team just has a different feel than years past. A new junior QB and younger guys who have stepped up. It’s a different team, and if they can still handle Somerset the way they just did then look out class 2A!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jumperthumper86's post:
  • Deuce8
You are correct RoSham, but don't forget over half these starters, were starters on the 2019 team. Most of these issues are on the younger guys I noticed, bit 4 turnovers in one game is too much more then all season combined. Somerset shot themselves in the foot. My point being, with the lose of players to injury tonight, 4 turnovers and no 1st half points, and Somerset still took the lead to lose by 7 is a good indicator on how good the team is, and is why as like last year we saw the same mistakes, almost a rerun. So yes I feel with injuries healed and without 4 turnovers we can still win district. LCA was the better team tonight, Somerset just has to be a little better next game. And still no guarantee.
(10-17-2020, 01:19 AM)RoShamBo Wrote: Look, is Somerset capable of beating LCA? Absolutely if they can figure out their own problems. They got dominated over the top tonight even when they knew it was coming, and despite the fact that it's been a hot button topic all season, they continue to rack up penalties.

The score was not indicative of how the game played out though. I watched a 7 point game, but I left feeling like we were dominated by a better team. Not so much so that Somerset isn't capable of closing the gap, but don't kid yourself and pretend like this is just like game 1 in 2019. The 2019 Jumpers had mental issues keeping them from being great before their wake up call at LCA. This team has real problems that they have to address fast. We're only 4 games best case scenario from seeing this team again, and there's a lot to do in not a lot of time.
5 penalties for 55 yards is not really racking up penalties. 

holding call , 12 men on field , false start , 2 personal fouls , one of which was off setting cause a lca player stomped his chest !!!

(10-17-2020, 08:47 AM)Deuce8 Wrote:
(10-17-2020, 01:19 AM)RoShamBo Wrote: Look, is Somerset capable of beating LCA? Absolutely if they can figure out their own problems. They got dominated over the top tonight even when they knew it was coming, and despite the fact that it's been a hot button topic all season, they continue to rack up penalties.

5 penalties for 55 yards is not really racking up penalties..

holding call , 12 men on field , false start , 2 personal fouls , one of which was off setting cause a lca player stomped his chest !!!

Yes they dominated a JV secondary with a hobbled kade Grundy , no cooper , no Gilmore, no Sheron, 

Somerset... will do what’s needed to improve from this game ! 

Best part is Somerset takes care of business, and we will meet again in November.... 
My take away from the game:

The schedules that the two teams had played really worked in LCA's favor. Due to the lack of competition faced by the Jumpers they weren't prepared to see someone with the speed and physicality of LCA. Conversely, the Eagles had already been exposed to that kind of competition. I think that had a lot to do with LCA jumping out to the 14-0 lead as well as finishing with a flourish. Somerset had not been pushed into the 2nd half all season and didn't finish once they came back and took the lead. I don't know if that was due to conditioning, the injuries, not being used to being in a dogfight late in a game, or some combination of all 3. There wasn't really much that Somerset could have done about the schedule. COVID-19 took away the Beechwood game and, since it was scheduled before last year, they couldn't foresee what happened at Hazard. But this is a year where it would have been nice if the Pulaski County school system would have taken the Somerset offer to buy out contracts and play the county schools. But that's not on the Jumpers.
As for what went wrong on the field. The game was won in the trenches. LCA was able to pass block well enough to give Nieves time to hit his talented receivers while Somerset didn't give Sheron time to find his. I didn't see anything that can't be fixed but that is where the improvements will have to be made if Somerset is going to come out on top in round 2. That, and cutting down on the penalties, they continue to be a problem. It was a little sloppy, but still a great game between 2 very, very good teams. I still think the rematch could go either way and that the winner will be the favorite to take home the gold football this year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Walt Longmire's post:
  • Deuce8
(10-17-2020, 05:01 PM)Walt Longmire Wrote: My take away from the game:

The schedules that the two teams had played really worked in LCA's favor.  Due to the lack of competition faced by the Jumpers they weren't prepared to see someone with the speed and physicality of LCA.  Conversely, the Eagles had already been exposed to that kind of competition.  I think that had a lot to do with LCA jumping out to the 14-0 lead as well as finishing with a flourish.  Somerset had not been pushed into the 2nd half all season and didn't finish once they came back and took the lead.  I don't know if that was due to conditioning,  the injuries,  not being used to being in a dogfight late in a game, or some combination of all 3.  There wasn't really much that Somerset could have done about the schedule.  COVID-19 took away the Beechwood game and, since it was scheduled before last year, they couldn't foresee what happened at Hazard. But this is a year where it would have been nice if the Pulaski County school system would have taken the Somerset offer to buy out contracts and play the county schools.  But that's not on the Jumpers. 
As for what went wrong on the field.  The game was won in the trenches.  LCA was able to pass block well enough to give Nieves time to hit his talented receivers while Somerset didn't give Sheron time to find his.  I didn't see anything that can't be fixed but that is where the improvements will have to be made if Somerset is going to come out on top in round 2.  That,  and cutting down on the penalties,  they continue to be a problem.  It was a little sloppy,  but still a great game between 2 very,  very good teams.  I still think the rematch could go either way and that the winner will be the favorite to take home the gold football this year.

Very well said! it’s anytime you lose at this point.
Upset city baby
Pentalies were down. The 40 kid was first time in backfield and was a little jumpy, holding on a JV center that got threw to the wolves so to speak, a personal that went both ways due to LCA kid stomping chest "very christian like". Somerset have two really good lineman in johnson and Simmons, but the younger ones have yet to step up, but they do have experienced lineman but they're trying not to play both ways. I get it, but they got plenty of dl to play them on ol and problem solved. The secondary is very banged up, and smartly LCA took advantage of Gilmore and cooper being out. If all is correct looks like it could be a heathy bunch in rematch. Well see. LCA didn't dominate the game. If they dominated then they shouldn't of had to comeback to beat a team that had 4 turnovers and a JV secondary. I just can't wait till the rematch.
  • Shondue
Can you quit calling the kids that played “JV” please? It’s a bit of an insult to the ones who answered their call and gave it their best. Every single kid who dressed and played did so in varsity minutes.

Thanks in advance.
[-] The following 2 users Like CowboyDad's post:
  • Bunnies101, SayreSpartan2006
I know 1 game doesn't always tell the story, but, the game seemed more lopsided than the score. I thought LCA played with more emotion and had the superior speed. They were quicker off the ball in the trenches and were able to give there QB all day to throw the ball or scramble with it. They had 2 or 3 drops that could have made the score worse. I thought the Jumpers OL got pushed back most of the night and Sheron had no time to even set his feet to do anything down field. The secondary for LCA was also outstanding in coverage. Just seemed like it was live legs vs dead legs most of the night. I do think Somerset probably has 3 or 4 individual players with a higher ceiling than anyone on LCAs team, but, overall, I like LCAs team. While they're fairly equal from a talent standpoint, I'd take LCA about 3 out of 5 games, if they played a 5 game series.
(10-17-2020, 06:23 PM)foozeball80 Wrote: Pentalies were down. The 40 kid was first time in backfield and was a little jumpy, holding on a JV center that got threw to the wolves so to speak, a personal that went both ways due to LCA kid stomping chest "very christian like". Somerset have two really good lineman in johnson and Simmons, but the younger ones have yet to step up, but they do have experienced lineman but they're trying not to play both ways. I get it, but they got plenty of dl to play them on ol and problem solved. The secondary is very banged up, and smartly LCA took advantage of Gilmore and cooper being out. If all is correct looks like it could be a heathy bunch in rematch. Well see. LCA didn't dominate the game. If they dominated then they shouldn't of had to comeback to beat a team that had 4 turnovers and a JV secondary. I just can't wait till the rematch.
What is this stepping on chest nonsense you are talking about?
[-] The following 1 user Likes PHSFarmersMarket's post:
  • SayreSpartan2006
(10-17-2020, 06:38 PM)CowboyDad Wrote: Can you quit calling the kids that played “JV” please? It’s a bit of an insult to the ones who answered their call and gave it their best. Every single kid who dressed and played did so in varsity
Not a insult at all ..... just a fact, if you’re not a starter on varsity you’re on what’s called JV .... just simply pointing out the fact that Somerset entire secondary is banged up ! No insults .... You’re welcome in advanced!
Yes, exactly all because you get varsity minutes your still JV. Anyone not starting varsity or senior is JV. It's not a insult it's just a step below varsity. Now on that note. The line was blitzed all night 6-7 guys hard to block them all, but I noticed backs and wr not down blocking. 3 interceptions, 2 fumbles not the lines fault. Now Somerset held they're own with young guys in the secondary. Sheron, Grundy, cooper, Gilmore, are all injured and out plus a lineman. They'll be fine with washington co. But could take a L in non district to Corbin if these guys don't return. Badly needed by week for the Jumpers, but I said a week ago who ever lost Friday is who I'm taken for district. But got to get healthy.
  • Deuce8
Healthy now a factor.

Looks like Grundy, Gilmore, Sheron, Elnor , and Cooper out up to 3/4 weeks.

Guess the Corbin game could be one to hope for the best?
(10-18-2020, 04:52 PM)foozeball80 Wrote: Yes, exactly all because you get varsity minutes your still JV. Anyone not starting varsity or senior is JV. It's not a insult it's just a step below varsity. Now on that note. The line was blitzed all night 6-7 guys hard to block them all, but I noticed backs and wr not down blocking. 3 interceptions, 2 fumbles not the lines fault. Now Somerset held they're own with young guys in the secondary. Sheron, Grundy, cooper, Gilmore, are all injured and out plus a lineman. They'll be fine with washington co. But could take a L in non district to Corbin if these guys don't return. Badly needed by week for the Jumpers, but I said a week ago who ever lost Friday is who I'm taken for district. But got to get healthy.

Those turnovers are partly on the play of the line.  Sheron simply didn't get time to find his receivers and throw the ball.  The defensive front for LCA outplayed the offensive line for Somerset.  There's no disputing that.  Injuries can't be an excuse.  Playing a team of the caliber of LCA it has to be next man up and they have to do the job.  There is a lot that has to improve up front for the Jumpers to win the rematch.  Hopefully, the injured players can get healthy by round one of the playoffs.  Danville will be a challenge if we're without that many of our starters.
(10-18-2020, 09:52 AM)Deuce8 Wrote:
(10-17-2020, 06:38 PM)CowboyDad Wrote: Can you quit calling the kids that played “JV” please? It’s a bit of an insult to the ones who answered their call and gave it their best. Every single kid who dressed and played did so in varsity
Not a insult at all ..... just a fact, if you’re not a starter on varsity you’re on what’s called JV .... just simply pointing out the fact that Somerset entire secondary is banged up ! No insults .... You’re welcome in advanced!

Is Chase Doan a JV player? Thought I saw him at corner.
Doan filled in on secondary and isn't a defensive player. Somerset used what they had. No he isn't JV he starts varsity at RB.