Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Players in the 14th region 20-21
(08-14-2020, 03:10 PM)Perrycc.rocks Wrote: In my opinion the way Wilgus Tolson played in the regional tournament last year. He is without a doubt the best player in the entire 14th region.  I watched him when they first played against PCC he was the best player on the floor. And he was again during the regional tournament. Skill level is off the chart, shame he plays for Wolfe.
I don’t see how it’s a shame he plays for Wolfe considering they have a very good shot of making it out of the region this upcoming season. (Assuming we have a season)
1. McGuire/Knott- Feel like this kid doesn’t get enough credit. Watched him play against Trey James and the boy outplayed him, not once, but twice. Dominant on both ends of floor from games I’ve seen.  McGuire is a difference maker, big, strong and no one in the region can handle him down low, offensive or defensive. Had his season not ended to soon, Knott could have made it to the regional finals. He isn’t the quickest, and doesn’t get the chance to shoot outside much, but can knock it down. Has very nice touch and hands for a big. 

2 and 3/Depends on the night- Tolsen and Johnson/Wolfe: putting these two together cause I just can’t decide. Wilgus turned it on towards the end of the season, Really put on a show. Fun to watch, but Johnson gets the edge when it comes to defense. Both are great guards. Fantastic shooters and can drive it to the hole. Wolfe’s guards are gonna be an issue for teams this year. 

4. Pelphrey/Hazard: Probably the truest point guard out of all of them. He sees the floor well. Can score when needed. Makes really nice passes. Knows the game, good IQ. 

5. Napier/Knott: Great size for a guard. Deadly from behind the arc. 
and rebounds well. Big time offensive player. 

6. Collins/Buckhorn: Has length and reach, can score and rebound well. Nice touch with ball. If he gained some strength over the post season, could be a problem for teams 
7. (Here I just kinda start ranking in no particular order, all really good players..Bowling, Day, Damron, Napier from Hazard
Tolson is a warrior!
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/13822358/5e...08508e04a5
Toslon is smart, skillful, hardworking, and an exciting player to watch.  That wolfe team should route mostly everyone this coming season.  They're the team to beat.
Wolfe is loaded, Jazz Johnson and Tolson are a great backcourt with Thompson , make for a triple threat, plus Im hearing Ritchie is about 6'8 now. I remember seeing a lot of this Wolfe team play in Hazard when they were really young, so there recent success is no surprise to a lot of people.
I agree, Thompson is probably the best junior at his position in the region. Wolfe is gonna be deadly at every position
Wade Pelfrey is the BEST player in the region. Then the big kid at Knott, then Id go with Jazzy Johnson. Wade is the hardest kid to stop in the Region.
I think Pelfrey will be rated No. 1 in the 14th.
Pelfrey is a great player no doubt, but Tolson is much younger then Pelfrey, and has way more up side. Tolson is far more skilled with the basketball and has matured a lot since last year. Pelfrey might get more attention, but only because he plays at Hazard. Tolson is the most talented kid in the region and next year he will be playing college basketball.
I would take Pelfrey over Tolson
(09-24-2020, 12:01 PM)FunFan Wrote: I would take Pelfrey over Tolson
If I remember correctly, you also took Knott County over Wolfe last year in the regional tournament and we saw how that turned out.
Leslie had a kid that was really good last year. He should be back. Maybe Day?
Twitter: @tc_analytics

(09-24-2020, 09:25 PM)JuicedMtnGoat Wrote: Leslie had a kid that was really good last year.  He should be back.  Maybe Day?
Trenton Day averaged 19.1 ppg, 5 rpg and shot over 42% from 3 point range  and almost 50% from the field. The most under-rated player in the region. Doesn’t get any recognition because he’s from Leslie county.
[-] The following 1 user Likes CriticalThinker's post:
  • MaroonPancakes
(09-24-2020, 01:11 PM)Wolfeman Wrote:
If I remember correctly, you also took Knott County over Wolfe last year in the regional tournament and we saw how that turned out.
Thin skin much?
(09-25-2020, 02:21 PM)FunFan Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 01:11 PM)Wolfeman Wrote:
Thin skin much?

Im just having a little fun with ya! Lol
If a player wants recognition, they have to start winning. You can average 50 ppg but if you arent winning your not gonna get that respect.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bulldogs4Ever's post:
  • blueandgoldfan
That's like saying Devin Booker isn't an all-star.  Even though his team doesn't make playoffs doesn't mean he's not recognized as one of the leagues top players.  Leslie is in the region's toughest district in the region and its not even close.  So I don't agree with that logic.  Hazard thought he was good enough to face guard in the district tourney, a team that went to state with an amazing record.  That should speak volumes about how good this kid is. If Perry and Hazard doesn't recruit out of state, its not even a question they make the regional tourney this year.
Perry and Hazard have been beating Leslie since basketball started being played. Perry and Hazard would beat you with their homegrown kids all day long. A few cronies thought they had to bring kids here a few years ago to get some attention since they dont play any more. Hazard and Perry didnt need any of those recruits. I didnt say Trenton wasnt a good player because he is. Gotta win. Plain and simple.
(09-26-2020, 03:39 PM)Bulldogs4Ever Wrote: Perry and Hazard have been beating Leslie since basketball started being played.  Perry and Hazard would beat you with their homegrown kids all day long.  A few cronies thought they had to bring kids here a few years ago to get some attention since they dont play any more.  Hazard and Perry didnt need any of those recruits.  I didnt say Trenton wasnt a good player because he is.  Gotta win.  Plain and simple.
While that may or may not be true, we'll never really know for sure.  I just don't like not giving a kid his dues just because he may not be winning, even though his team is in the toughest district.  Statistically, Trenton almost beats every guard in every statistical category on these lists but hardly breaks the top ten? In the topic of "top players in the region" that's ludicrous.  And stats aren't everything but still gotta knod your head at the work. But I agree, Leslie as a team has some winning to do.
Trenton is a top 10 player no doubt about it. I will agree with you on that. He is a very solid all around player and he is consistently doing it day in day out.
Jackson City had 2 players Last year in Slayer and Xander that both averaged Over 20 points a game, but JCS didn’t do very well in regional competition so they didn’t get the recognition they deserved. Trenton Day was in the same situation last year. This year people should notice Day more because Leslie should be a lot more competitive. I’ve seen him play a few times and he’s a great player. At this point I just don’t think he’s at the same level as Tolson, I watched them play against each other in the 14th region all-star game and Day did very well, but Tolson had 32 points and scored any way he wanted. That being said, I know it was just an All Star game, but it is what it is. I’m looking forward to watching Day play this year, as well as many other players to see how much they’ve improved over the summer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Wolfeman's post:
  • MaroonPancakes
What college teams are recruiting Tolson?
(09-28-2020, 09:16 AM)Bulldogs4Ever Wrote: What college teams are recruiting Tolson?
From what I understand Morehead asked and received film on him and they have requested to come watch him workout. The university of Indianapolis has shown interest and he has had several phone calls and has been staying in back and forth conversations with  the coach at Spring Hill College in Mobile, Alabama which is D2. Due to his size, he may not he D1, but he’ll get his school paid for if he chooses to play college ball.
Players on bad teams sometimes have good stats because they score a lot in garbage time when the other team is ahead by 30.
Players on bad teams sometimes get extra attention from defenses because they have no other players who can score and good coaches won't take chances and will try to take away the best player
It's hard to get much attention when your team is getting beat regularly. You always have to wonder if that player could be a contributor for the good teams.
Top 10 Players
1A. Pelphrey- Hazard
1B. Tolson- Wolfe
3. McGuire- KCC
4. Collins- Buckhorn
5. Turner- Breathitt
6. Johnson- Wolfe
7. Thompson- Wolfe
8. Napier- KCC
9. Day- Leslie
10. Bowling- Leslie

Pelphrey is a great PG and a proven winner, but the game will get a lot harder for him this season, last year he had a GREAT team around him. Hazard has no one to replace Hall, Fletcher, and Johnson that will allow teams to focus on Wade a lot more which will make the game way harder.

Tolson is a big game player that just shows a will to win. He makes everyone on the floor better and never hides from the big moment.
Tolson could average 20 a game on most teams but Wolfe is just too balanced to do that there, which is a good thing.

McGuire has had a ton of ad luck but has a great skill set. I just question how bad he wants to be out there some times when I watch him. 
McGuire just has to show he can bring his same game each night out.

Collins is a matchup nightmare for teams and can score in bunches, which he'll have to do with the departure of Bowling.

Turner might have the most upside of anyone in the region. I dont think he has scratched the surface on his basketball talent but with his football talent he might never have the time to truly reach his full potential in both. He is a beast when he attacks the lane but sometimes settles for jumpers.

Johnson has a college body now and should be able to get to the rim at will. He limits himself sometimes like Turner settling for jumpers.
He is a above average ball handler which makes defending Wolfe really hard with him and Tolson.

Thompson might be around the top of this list by seasons end. HE's one of the best shooters in the region and has got a ton stronger and improved the rest of his game. 

Napier can fill it up but struggles if he doesn't get shots early. If he gets hot early he can go for 30, but will need to commit to playing team ball more for Knott to win.

Day is a scorer but he will have to get used to playing with another high volume scorer in Bowling. Day will have to find ways to make his team better for Leslie to have a chance to get to the region. 

Bowling is a Top 5 scorer in the region but he will have to get used to a new team and system at Leslie. Bowling is a high volume shooter and that will have to play without the ball a lot more this year.
Jazz Johnson is #1 or 2 easy. Hes the best player on Wolfes team.
DukeBoyJazz Johnson is #1 or 2 easy.  Hes the best player on Wolfes team.

Just my opinion, but Jazz should be #2 behind Wilgus Tolson. The best player on Wolfe’s team is the one that carried them through the district and regional tournament last year. Tolson makes everyone on that team better and has more skill than anyone in the region. Either way, I believe Wolfe has the top 2 players in the region and Sawyer Thompson should be top 10 easy.