Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should there be any portraits of Jesus or of God
My quick response No.

What are your thoughts?
Nobody knows what God or Jesus looks like.

We were created in His image, but no living person has seen God or Jesus. It doesn't matter what the face of God or Jesus looks like. What does matter is that one day after awhile... every person that has ever been existence on this planet will see the Face of The Almighty. Until then, it's all speculation.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
The paintings of Jesus that are common today were by European Renaissance artist and most certainly gave the image a European appearance. However, Jesus would have had the appearance of middle easterners, who have changed very little since Jesus’ time period. He definitely would not have the blue eyes and fair complexion of the artist images.
^^ I do not believe one can say that all Jews of the Lord's day were dark-ish skinned and brown eyed, as are the peoples of the Arab nations. History suggests it may be much more likely that the early Jew looked more like your average American as far as diversity's sake is concerned. ABTW, the nation Israel is not Arabic, and I will be happy to expound on that further if you'd care to consider the point further. :biggrin:

In the meantime this is what a person of some intimacy has to say about it;

"The Israelites of old were regarded by the Egyptians as people from the land of Amuru, meaning the land of the Amorites which the Israelites conquered. Another term applied to the general Syrian area was "Retenu". The name "Upper Retenu"1 corresponded to the geographical space encompassed by the Land of Israel, according to the Bible. People from the area known as "Amuru" or "Retenu" after ca.1400 BCE are presumably Israelites. They are depicted on Egyptian monuments as red, blonde, or black-haired with frequent blue eyes and red beards. Illustrations of individuals with this appearance are automatically assumed by Egyptologists to pertain to the Israelite or "Syrian" area. Another blonde blue-eyed people depicted on Egyptian monuments were the so-called "Libyans" and it has now been shown by Alessandra Nibbi (1989) that these were not dwellers of "Libya" but rather of the Nile Delta and of Hebrew origin."
http://www.britam.org/anthropology.html
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I’m torn on this. One can read the Bible and come away thinking that there shouldn’t be any monuments/paintings/etc. of our lord. But you can also argue that by doing so is showing your love for the father.
You can have an innacurate picture or statue without worshiping it.
2nd commandment violation IMO.
^I don't understand your perspective. How is that speaking God's name in vain?

Graven image; possibly, but I don't see second commandment.
(08-23-2020, 09:27 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: ^I don't understand your perspective.  How is that speaking God's name in vain?

Graven image; possibly, but I don't see second commandment.

All pictures of God are 2cv. This helps solidify why:

Deu 4:15 — Deu 4:16

“Therefore watch yourselves very carefully. Since you saw no form on the day that the Lord spoke to you at Horeb out of the midst of the fire, beware lest you act corruptly by making a carved image for yourselves, in the form of any figure, the likeness of male or female,