Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New look?
What is everyone’s thoughts on the new layout and look?
I like the new look, much better than the old one.
I especially love it on the phone. We can finally attach an image on mobile . There are several more themes coming. Hopefully, be something for to suit everyone's taste.
Happy to see you guys get it moved over. It looks great!
Are you tweeting? Follow Me on Twitter.
http://twitter.com/PetiteMommy
I'll be the nitpicker. First, I like the way the new platform looks. It's going to take some getting used to just because I've gotten pretty used to the former over the past 10+ years, but it passes the eye test. On the desktop version, it looks great and I love that the quotes are stacked when you quote someone now. Makes it easier than having to read back several pages to see what the hell people are talking about. My only real knock on the desktop version is I miss the "Go Advanced" when posting and it is going to take me some time to figure out how to add photos, videos or gifs to posts. With the old platform it seemed much easier. Overall, nice upgrade to the desktop version.

Mobile, I will say that the mobile version is better than the old mobile viewing, but I would always just switch to desktop view on my phone so I'm not as big a fan of the new mobile. It doesn't read as easy IMO with everything in the center and with each poster's profile information taking up such a large portion of each post. It looks really sleek, and has a nice overall design to it, it just doesn't flow as well when reading. I haven't done much posting on mobile yet (or at all for that matter) so I'll have to play around and see if I like the utility of the new mobile version better than the last.

Again, those are just my opinions and suggestions with me being picky. I really appreciate QQ and all of the admins for working to improve the site. You don't get that a lot with a free site, especially not one that isn't cluttered by ads like BGR. It's a great look overall and hopefully draws in more people. Thanks for everything you guys do!

Edit: One last suggestion, and I've been beating this to death since I first started on this site, but I would love to see a downvote button as well.
The header on the main screens needs to be reduced, it takes up almost half of the top of the page. Shrinking it would help some.
(08-13-2020, 12:56 PM)RoShamBo Wrote: I'll be the nitpicker. First, I like the way the new platform looks. It's going to take some getting used to just because I've gotten pretty used to the former over the past 10+ years, but it passes the eye test. On the desktop version, it looks great and I love that the quotes are stacked when you quote someone now. Makes it easier than having to read back several pages to see what the hell people are talking about. My only real knock on the desktop version is I miss the "Go Advanced" when posting and it is going to take me some time to figure out how to add photos, videos or gifs to posts. With the old platform it seemed much easier. Overall, nice upgrade to the desktop version.

Mobile, I will say that the mobile version is better than the old mobile viewing, but I would always just switch to desktop view on my phone so I'm not as big a fan of the new mobile. It doesn't read as easy IMO with everything in the center and with each poster's profile information taking up such a large portion of each post. It looks really sleek, and has a nice overall design to it, it just doesn't flow as well when reading. I haven't done much posting on mobile yet (or at all for that matter) so I'll have to play around and see if I like the utility of the new mobile version better than the last.

Again, those are just my opinions and suggestions with me being picky. I really appreciate QQ and all of the admins for working to improve the site. You don't get that a lot with a free site, especially not one that isn't cluttered by ads like BGR. It's a great look overall and hopefully draws in more people. Thanks for everything you guys do!

Edit: One last suggestion, and I've been beating this to death since I first started on this site, but I would love to see a downvote button as well.

(08-13-2020, 01:15 PM)plantmanky Wrote: The header on the main screens needs to be reduced, it takes up almost half of the top of the page.  Shrinking it would help some.

RoShamBo

Thank you for the feedback.  We appreciate it. We have a couple more mobile themes in the works that will have easier readability on smaller screens.  I added an article in the help section about how to switch themes. We currently have 3, the "Plain Jane" responsive has better readability on mobile than this default responsive theme.  Just make sure you the select the responsive version of Plain Jane if you want to test its mobile readability. We will be adding a drop down menu in the header to quickly switch between themes.

This new software also has an Advanced Editor, but yeah formatted somewhat different and will take some time to familiarize ourselves. Still trying to figure out everything myself.  If anyone is not sure how to access the Advanced Editor. It can be accessed by clicking "New Reply". We will be adding some additional editing features to this editor too. 

Many more features and improvements are coming. This move had to happen quickly, so we didn't get to add or test all the features. Currently, testing sign ups with social media accounts and also an alert system that allows you to get notifications for replies, likes, being quoted, pms, etc. You will be able to have these sent to phone or desktop. We hope when sports return this increase interaction on the site.

plantmanky

Agree with with you on the header. We came to the same conclusion the day we made the move.  We will likely be removing it it entirely, leaving only the navigation part of the header in place.

For example:

(08-13-2020, 12:56 PM)RoShamBo Wrote: I'll be the nitpicker. First, I like the way the new platform looks. It's going to take some getting used to just because I've gotten pretty used to the former over the past 10+ years, but it passes the eye test. On the desktop version, it looks great and I love that the quotes are stacked when you quote someone now. Makes it easier than having to read back several pages to see what the hell people are talking about. My only real knock on the desktop version is I miss the "Go Advanced" when posting and it is going to take me some time to figure out how to add photos, videos or gifs to posts. With the old platform it seemed much easier. Overall, nice upgrade to the desktop version.

Use plain jane! It looks identical to old site!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Love the new layout its a breathe of fresh air!
Thumbs Up 
I love what you've done with the place! I especially like the working system clock. The only thing I miss so far is a thumbs up icon. 

I do wish that the default subscription method was "Do not subscribe to this thread." I would rather opt in than opt out.
(08-16-2020, 11:46 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: I love what you've done with the place! I especially like the working system clock. The only thing I miss so far is a thumbs up icon. 

I do wish that the default subscription method was "Do not subscribe to this thread." I would rather opt in than opt out.

I agree with Hoot I love the actual working clock now. Just the overall feel to the site is something that was needed for a long time and I'm glad to see it come out.
What are you all thinking about this layout that is being used right now?

is it different from the one you originally saw a couple days ago?
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
I absolutely love the new layout. I especially love the blackened screen. It makes reading much easier on my middle aged eyes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Westside's post:
  • Spud6
(08-16-2020, 10:09 PM)Spud6 Wrote: What are you all thinking about this layout that is being used right now?

I like this one a lot better than the initial layout. I'm viewing on mobile currently FWIW.
(08-17-2020, 12:03 AM)RoShamBo Wrote:
(08-16-2020, 10:09 PM)Spud6 Wrote: What are you all thinking about this layout that is being used right now?

I like this one a lot better than the initial layout. I'm viewing on mobile currently FWIW.

Do you prefer the dark mode rather than the light mode?
#BBFL
(08-16-2020, 10:09 PM)Spud6 Wrote: do you prefer the dark mode rather than the light mode?

I like the dark mode the best after testing them all. It's a lot easier on the eyes as well.
I like the dark screen too.
(08-17-2020, 10:51 AM)Westside Wrote: I like the dark screen too.

Somebody tell me how to get this god-forsaken black off my screen. There has to be an opt-out. Otherwise look for many less posts. Horrible!
(08-17-2020, 09:46 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

Somebody tell me how to get this god-forsaken black off my screen. There has to be an opt-out. Otherwise look for many less posts. Horrible!

Go to this link, JP.

http://bluegrassrivals.com/forum/showthr...tid=258485
(08-17-2020, 10:56 PM)Westside Wrote:

Go to this link, JP.

Thank you sir! I must be getting old, that black screen made my eyes spin and my head hurt lol. Very cool to have options.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Westside
(08-18-2020, 03:51 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
(08-17-2020, 10:56 PM)Westside Wrote:

Go to this link, JP.

Thank you sir! I must be getting old, that black screen made my eyes spin and my head hurt lol. Very cool to have options.
That’s what QQ was shooting for. He plans on having so many more in the future to hopefully appease everyone’s tastes.
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • jetpilot
Will we get the "go to first unread post" option back?
(08-21-2020, 01:00 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Will we get the "go to first unread post" option back?
You mean the one that was on the home page that took you to the first unread thread? Or the one in the actual thread?
#BBFL
(08-23-2020, 08:53 PM)Spud6 Wrote:
(08-21-2020, 01:00 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Will we get the "go to first unread post" option back?
You mean the one that was on the home page that took you to the first unread thread? Or the one in the actual thread?
The one in the threads.
(08-23-2020, 10:17 PM)plantmanky Wrote:
(08-23-2020, 08:53 PM)Spud6 Wrote:
The one in the threads.
I will ask QQ!
#BBFL
(08-16-2020, 11:46 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: I love what you've done with the place! I especially like the working system clock. The only thing I miss so far is a thumbs up icon. 

Same here. This should be fixed now. I ran a query on the database to set everyone to "Do not subscribe" by default.

This "blue and black" theme with white/grey backgrounds will stay the default.  The dark theme was set to default temporarily since it was the most popular behind this theme.  We had to take down this default/launch theme a few days to work on some problems with it.  We plan to have around 10 -12 theme options to choose from. Hopefully, everyone will be able to find a style they can enjoy.
I really like all of the updates to the website. I have been using the Twitter tags extensively in the Politics forum. I have a suggestion for a future enhancement if it is feasible and not too much work.

Add support for Parler tags. Conservative Twitter users are fleeing the application in large numbers over Twitter's censorship and other liberal bias during the 2020 campaign season. I expect many popular Twitter accounts will become inactive after the election results become official.

Thanks.
(11-15-2020, 08:26 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: I really like all of the updates to the website. I have been using the Twitter tags extensively in the Politics forum. I have a suggestion for a future enhancement if it is feasible and not too much work.

Add support for Parler tags. Conservative Twitter users are fleeing the application in large numbers over Twitter's censorship and other liberal bias during the 2020 campaign season. I expect many popular Twitter accounts will become inactive after the election results become official.

Thanks.
No sure what Parlar is, but I'll definitely pass it along to QQ!

Thanks for the recommendation, glad you like the new look overall!
#BBFL
Theres a bug or something with this thread, I keep getting emails from BGR stating about new post on this thread, but its old post from months ago, happens about every hours or so, FYI.