Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Andrew Luck to stay at Stanford
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I heard he was thinking about this.
I've also heard that Mallet is staying as well.

http://m.yahoo.com/w/sports/home/news/ar...frontdoors
Luck certainly surprises me. His coach is likely to leave and he will be the #1 overall. That's risky business, but I applaud him.
zaga_fan Wrote:I heard he was thinking about this.
I've also heard that Mallet is staying as well.

http://m.yahoo.com/w/sports/home/news/ar...frontdoors

I cannot remember for the life of me, who does Ryan Mallet play for?

I like the decision by Luck. Like Mr. Dust said, he is taking a huge chance by staying, especially considering the Harbaugh is most likely leaving. I enjoy the fact that he is not chasing the big dollars like many other sure fire #1 picks. I wonder if the looming lockout has something to do with Luck staying.
I don't like it. Maybe he is saying that he is staying until the lockout cloud is over. Maybe he is trying to bait Harbaugh into staying.
Jarons Wrote:I cannot remember for the life of me, who does Ryan Mallet play for?

I like the decision by Luck. Like Mr. Dust said, he is taking a huge chance by staying, especially considering the Harbaugh is most likely leaving. I enjoy the fact that he is not chasing the big dollars like many other sure fire #1 picks. I wonder if the looming lockout has something to do with Luck staying.

Arkansas....Hopefully the Titans next season. Big Grin...Luck decision surprises me, he is lock for #1.
Andrew Luck is a kid who takes his academics seriously, he doesn't worry about money.

He probably didn't wanna play for Carolina anyways.
Stardust Wrote:Luck certainly surprises me. His coach is likely to leave and he will be the #1 overall. That's risky business, but I applaud him.
Barring some kind of catastrophic injury, Luck will be the #1 pick next year or even the year after that. I dont know if he will have a good pro career but he is hands down the best pro prospect at QB in college football and he will be for the next two years as well.
I am glad the kid chose to stay. I dont think I would have considering the amount he was to make but cudos to him.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Barring some kind of catastrophic injury, Luck will be the #1 pick next year or even the year after that. I dont know if he will have a good pro career but he is hands down the best pro prospect at QB in college football and he will be for the next two years as well.
I am glad the kid chose to stay. I dont think I would have considering the amount he was to make but cudos to him.

Good post. I agree with you in applauding the kid. Too often, we are bitching because a player leaves early. But for this kid, it's only down from here. Meaning, unless he maintains his current level of play, he will lose draft spots and money. In college, with the amount of turnover at different positions and especially if his coach leaves, he's taking a pretty big risk. I sure wish him "Luck" and he has made me a fan of him.
J-Rod Wrote:Andrew Luck is a kid who takes his academics seriously, he doesn't worry about money.

He probably didn't wanna play for Carolina anyways.

When you are looking at $40M guarenteed, it's hard to say he shouldn't be worried about Money. All the education in the world can't replace that. Also, guys like Luck wind up completing their education after they get into the Pro's anyhow. Virtually every contract for an underclassman has an Education allotment embedded for them to complete school. Like I said before, I applaud him, but if he was my son, I'd have coerced him into a secured future without "Having" to work a real job if god-forbid, a career ending injury should happen.
Really surprising, I really hope this decision don't backfire on him like it did Matt Lineart.
This just in...
Mallet enters draft
zaga_fan Wrote:This just in...
Mallet enters draft

Woo, hopefully he'll still be on the board at the 8th pick.
I'd be shocked if Carolina didn't take him. Don't look like JC is going to work out.
Aslan Wrote:I'd be shocked if Carolina didn't take him. Don't look like JC is going to work out.

Mel Kiper and Todd McShay have Blaine Gabbert as the #1 QB prospect now that Luck is returning to college. Carolina may give JC a 2nd chance and go with overall prospect in DaQuan Bowers DE from Clemson. [URL="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/27024/da%27quan-bowers"]
[/URL]
^IMO now that Luck isn't going to be in the draft, Mallet is the best.
[COLOR="black"]If Landry Jones from Oklahoma declares early he'll likely be the #1 QB of the class IMO.

Mallet's stock might have dropped off slightly with his Sugar Bowl performance, you never know.

I still think he's a 1st round pick clearly.[/COLOR]
Aslan Wrote:^IMO now that Luck isn't going to be in the draft, Mallet is the best.

Me too, I hope the Titans can snatch him if he is still there at 8,that is if they don't go out and try to bring in a vet.
There are a couple teams ahead of Tennessee that needs a QB, so you might have to hope Landry Jones declares if you want Mallet to go to Tennessee Wink

Buffalo/Arizona & San Francisco could all go QB.
J-Rod Wrote:There are a couple teams ahead of Tennessee that needs a QB, so you might have to hope Landry Jones declares if you want Mallet to go to Tennessee Wink

Buffalo/Arizona & San Francisco could all go QB.

I agree with you, those teams need a QB and may go after one but Gabbert is ranked as the best QB in the draft and believe it or not they also ranked Cam Newton above Mallet. Todd McShay has Ryan Mallet #31 overall on his big board, and there is some very good prospects that will be hard to pass up on so only time will tell.

A QB that could be one of the best sleepers of this draft is Pat Devlin, from Delaware.
I'm not sure he is making a good decision here for himself, because he's not getting any younger and he's NFL ready. I probably wouldn't want to play for Carolina either, but you've got to start somewhere and it more than likely is always going to be for a team that going to take their lumps. But if he cares about his education, then good for him. He'll be one of the top prospects again in the 2012 draft also.

I honestly don't think there are any other quarterbacks in the upcoming draft who are really worth a crap. Maybe some guys who can sell a few tickets, but no franchise quarterbacks. Mallet probably has more upside than any of the quarterbacks, but he isn't a very confident quarterback nor is he a great decision maker.

JMO
MVP2 Wrote:Me too, I hope the Titans can snatch him if he is still there at 8,that is if they don't go out and try to bring in a vet.

What would be your feelings about McNabb?
I don't like the decision at all. I think he's crazy. He had an awesome year this year. Why come back? He can get his degree later. Why chance injury? The odds of him and Stanford repeating this year's season is not good IMO.
zaga_fan Wrote:What would be your feelings about McNabb?

I wouldn't mind if McNabb came to TN. He would give us a chance to win, Kerry Collins played well the last few games of the season but in earlier games he couldn't even get the ball to the receivers. If I had to pick one of the Vets to bring in, I'd want Kyle Orton.
This decision didn't surprise me at all. Luck isn't all about the money!
MVP2 Wrote:I wouldn't mind if McNabb came to TN. He would give us a chance to win, Kerry Collins played well the last few games of the season but in earlier games he couldn't even get the ball to the receivers. If I had to pick one of the Vets to bring in, I'd want Kyle Orton.

He should be available since the Tim Tebow era has begun!
MisterPerfect Wrote:This decision didn't surprise me at all. Luck isn't all about the money!

So is he playing his own way through college????
Okay, Ill be the outcast here. This is stupid. Flat out stupid. This is a Stanford kid, for cryin' out loud. This isnt some fool from Auburn or LSU. Where is this kids brain? Committed to getting his degree?? C'mon! With the collective bargaining agreement nonsense and the talk of cutting pro salaries, and the lockout coming up, WHY would he stay and cost himself what could be a HUGE chunk of money, risk a career ending injury, and for what? So he can "use his degree", and work 9-5 and make 10% of what he could by coming out now? This makes zero sense. You can always go back and get that degree.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Okay, Ill be the outcast here. This is stupid. Flat out stupid. This is a Stanford kid, for cryin' out loud. This isnt some fool from Auburn or LSU. Where is this kids brain? Committed to getting his degree?? C'mon! With the collective bargaining agreement nonsense and the talk of cutting pro salaries, and the lockout coming up, WHY would he stay and cost himself what could be a HUGE chunk of money, risk a career ending injury, and for what? So he can "use his degree", and work 9-5 and make 10% of what he could by coming out now? This makes zero sense. You can always go back and get that degree.

TH32, I've been tooting this same horn. You and I are in complete agreement!:Thumbs:
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Okay, Ill be the outcast here. This is stupid. Flat out stupid. This is a Stanford kid, for cryin' out loud. This isnt some fool from Auburn or LSU. Where is this kids brain? Committed to getting his degree?? C'mon! With the collective bargaining agreement nonsense and the talk of cutting pro salaries, and the lockout coming up, WHY would he stay and cost himself what could be a HUGE chunk of money, risk a career ending injury, and for what? So he can "use his degree", and work 9-5 and make 10% of what he could by coming out now? This makes zero sense. You can always go back and get that degree.

I agree 100% with this! Take the money, you can always come back and get your degree.

But lets say he goes into the draft. He is first pick, no doubt! Gets money that would probably take him his whole life to get working a 9-5 job. And he would get it in one year. And he'd have a job that he LOVES!

I just don't understand his judgement. I just hope he thought it threw.
The reason Luck isn't worried all that much about money is because his family has plenty of it. I'd probably stay in college another year too if I didn't have to worry about money. He is a king on that campus.