Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Enes' Father says Enes "will be a Sophomore at UK"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I cannot find an exact link to the original article but it is on KSR. So apparently, Enes really, really wants to play college ball.
Just caught wind of this, great read and I am glad to hear this!
But with Cal, you never know what your gonna get.
Let's see if this holds true when the NBA comes knocking with it's millions!
^ I thought the same thing...but as we all know his father is a doctor and already has plenty of $.
Who ever knows though?
Stardust Wrote:Let's see if this holds true when the NBA comes knocking with it's millions!

I don't think the NBA will come knocking on anyones door.
kanter would be an idiot to try and go to the nba without ever playing american basketball first. im sure scouts would like to see him play before offering him any sort of money to go the nba. i know i wouldnt take him right now if i was a coach. what would i go on? how good he does watching his team play? anyway. if he does stay, it will be the best decision he has ever made, if he wants a shot in the nba.
^Without playing a single game in the NCAA right now, he is a predicted 8th pick in the NBA draft. So your post is pretty irrelevant.
There is not that many premier big men in the NCAA right now. My guess is he is one of the best to never see the floor yet.
I do get what your saying though. But it would really be in the NBA's best decision not to pick him because he hasn't played basketball in America. With that said, if a team does want him and he decides to go, whose to say he flops or doesn't flop in the NBA?

From seeing nitbits of last years draft, I assume that most of the players didn't want to leave UK as Cal kinda hurried them off for the next batch of young recruits. Let's hope this isn't another one of those years where it happens again with Enes cause we can surely use him now and next year.
I was shocked to learn this.

Still though, from this news you have to get the vibe that Enes getting eligible this season doesn't look very good.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I was shocked to learn this.

Still though, from this news you have to get the vibe that Enes getting eligible this season doesn't look very good.

I thought the same thing. I am starting to think that I would rather have him next season than this one.

Don't get me wrong, I want Enes to play now as well, but if I had to choose, with the SEC looking fairly weak right now, and no dominating teams this season outside of Duke and OSU, I would rather have him next season.
greenstuff22 Wrote:kanter would be an idiot to try and go to the nba without ever playing american basketball first. im sure scouts would like to see him play before offering him any sort of money to go the nba. i know i wouldnt take him right now if i was a coach. what would i go on? how good he does watching his team play? anyway. if he does stay, it will be the best decision he has ever made, if he wants a shot in the nba.

Why?

Every single year, foreign players are drafted based on the limited play against decent competition. Why would it be different for Kanter? I'd say that Kanter last year would have went before every single one of these guys who were drafted this year!

Kévin Séraphin - Cholet Basket (France)
Tibor Pleil - Brose Baskets (Germany
Nemanja Bjelica - Red Star Belgrade (Serbia)
Paulão Prestes- CB Murcia (Spain)
Ryan Richards - CB Gran Canaria (Spain)
Pape Sy - STB Le Havre (France)
Yay!! :brunettec:yes:Tongueuke:Confusedmoke::partyhard:beerwez::letsfight:High5:

Free Enes for next year! Or this year if you want!

By the way, this is my 3,000 post. In Soviet Russia, you not post on BGR, BGR post on you.
vundy33 Wrote:Yay!! :brunettec:yes:Tongueuke:Confusedmoke::partyhard:beerwez::letsfight:High5:

Free Enes for next year! Or this year if you want!

By the way, this is my 3,000 post. In Soviet Russia, you not post on BGR, BGR post on you.

Congrats
Today just keeps getting better.

:biggrin:
Stardust Wrote:Let's see if this holds true when the NBA comes knocking with it's millions!

Completely agree. Several athletes have made this promise and broke it. I remember Melo saying he'd stay 4 years at Cuse right after they won the title...few days later he declares himself eligible for the draft.

Enes's father turned down millions from these professional teams out of the country, why wouldn't Enes turn down millions here. I feel like his father wants him to play college ball, and he wants to play college ball. If he didn't want to play college ball, this guy was good enough to go straight from where he was and enter the draft. I really think that he will be back with the great class that Cal is bringing in next year. If that holds true, talk about a team.
The reason for wanting him to play one year of college ball is cause he don't have to pay turkey a portion of his salary like he would if he came straight over and played in nba
This is good news for the cats, with the class of players coming in for next season this is the icing on the cake.
WALL2WALL Wrote:Enes's father turned down millions from these professional teams out of the country, why wouldn't Enes turn down millions here. I feel like his father wants him to play college ball, and he wants to play college ball. If he didn't want to play college ball, this guy was good enough to go straight from where he was and enter the draft. I really think that he will be back with the great class that Cal is bringing in next year. If that holds true, talk about a team.

Why? What is the big deal of playing college ball? I could see if his father wanted his son to get a college degree, but to say his son played ONE year of college ball means what? That makes no sense to me what-so-ever.
beasy_bo Wrote:The reason for wanting him to play one year of college ball is cause he don't have to pay turkey a portion of his salary like he would if he came straight over and played in nba

Where did you see this?
Ballers Wrote:^Without playing a single game in the NCAA right now, he is a predicted 8th pick in the NBA draft. So your post is pretty irrelevant.
There is not that many premier big men in the NCAA right now. My guess is he is one of the best to never see the floor yet.
I do get what your saying though. But it would really be in the NBA's best decision not to pick him because he hasn't played basketball in America. With that said, if a team does want him and he decides to go, whose to say he flops or doesn't flop in the NBA?

From seeing nitbits of last years draft, I assume that most of the players didn't want to leave UK as Cal kinda hurried them off for the next batch of young recruits. Let's hope this isn't another one of those years where it happens again with Enes cause we can surely use him now and next year.

Look up prediction. Thats what that 8th pick is, a prediction. Which means nothing. Orton and Patterson went top 20 and neither of them get to play, not to mention PAtterson is in the d-league. So mr. Basketball expert maybe now you can see my opinion as to why i think that. Like stardust, these are my opinions so responses to them mean about as much to me as a brand new set of golf clubs.
Stardust Wrote:Why? What is the big deal of playing college ball? I could see if his father wanted his son to get a college degree, but to say his son played ONE year of college ball means what? That makes no sense to me what-so-ever.

The experience is what the big deal is. They obviously want to play a year in college just to do it. We really have no idea why they want to, we just know they do. They have their own reasons.
Anyone think this statement from his father hurts his chances of returning this season? I think so.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Anyone think this statement from his father hurts his chances of returning this season? I think so.

If you mean - Does his father already know the answer to the appeal? - then I'd say he feels as unlikely that Enes will be granted the appeal. It's my opinion that the NCAA is carefully crafting the response to ensure that it completely covers the next instance of players who have competed professionally. They made a specific comment in the Cam Newton case, using the word "Proffesional", thus, I see them sticking to the original decision, but possibly changing from the lifetime ban, to a one year suspension.
I'm a UK fan, and I've been in agreement with not freeing Enes for a while now. But after this Ohio State football thing and the Cam Newton thing, I can see how inconsistent the NCAA is being in this case with Kanter. It's a joke. If Kanter wasn't at the University of Kentucky under John Calipari, he'd be playing at some point this season...
MSU Eagle Wrote:I'm a UK fan, and I've been in agreement with not freeing Enes for a while now. But after this Ohio State football thing and the Cam Newton thing, I can see how inconsistent the NCAA is being in this case with Kanter. It's a joke. If Kanter wasn't at the University of Kentucky under John Calipari, he'd be playing at some point this season...

I think I have said this now for the MILLIONTH time: Professional!

No other player that has been mentioned on this thread that the NCAA has allowed to play has ever played PROFESSIONAL sports! None of them have been considered as a professional athlete, none of them!
Stardust Wrote:I think I have said this now for the MILLIONTH time: Professional!

No other player that has been mentioned on this thread that the NCAA has allowed to play has ever played PROFESSIONAL sports! None of them have been considered as a professional athlete, none of them!

This also happened when he was 16 years old.

He was immature and his parents should be the ones penalized for their mistakes, not him - kind of like in the Cam Newton case.

He turned down millions of dollars to come to america and attend high school so that he could play college basketball. That alone speaks volumes to me and the NCAA is letting players get by the clearing house and then question their high school grades after they become successful; The NCAA also allows student-athletes parents to accept money and then pay it back, but the player still is eligible, and the NCAA allows players to get free tattoos and suspend them for the following season and not their bowl game. The NCAA is very inconsistent.

I can understand suspending Kanter for awhile, but not an entire season or his entire collegiate career.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:This also happened when he was 16 years old.

He was immature and his parents should be the ones penalized for their mistakes, not him - kind of like in the Cam Newton case.

He turned down millions of dollars to come to america and attend high school so that he could play college basketball. That alone speaks volumes to me and the NCAA is letting players get by the clearing house and then question their high school grades after they become successful; The NCAA also allows student-athletes parents to accept money and then pay it back, but the player still is eligible, and the NCAA allows players to get free tattoos and suspend them for the following season and not their bowl game. The NCAA is very inconsistent.

I can understand suspending Kanter for awhile, but not an entire season or his entire collegiate career.

What does 16 years-old mean? He would not be allowed to play US High School Basketball for the exact same reason! Was Michelle Wie a professional or not when she played her first LPGA event at 16? Canadian Hockey League players, and they are paid professionals at earlier ages than 16, are not eligible to EVER play NCAA Hockey either. WHERE is the inconsistency?

Has there been an instance when a player has played a Professional sport and then played the same sport in the NCAA? Please show me, and I will back off of my agreement of what the NCAA has deemed.
Stardust Wrote:What does 16 years-old mean? He would not be allowed to play US High School Basketball for the exact same reason! Was Michelle Wie a professional or not when she played her first LPGA event at 16? Canadian Hockey League players, and they are paid professionals at earlier ages than 16, are not eligible to EVER play NCAA Hockey either. WHERE is the inconsistency?

Has there been an instance when a player has played a Professional sport and then played the same sport in the NCAA? Please show me, and I will back off of my agreement of what the NCAA has deemed.

You're also giving examples of north american kids. Give me an example of a kid from western Europe, Middle-east, Africa, etc. They don't know how things are run over here, they're in a totally different world than us and those from U.S. pacific islands and Canada. And Kanter played high school basketball in California.

And by inconsistency, it took them a few weeks to rule on the Cam Newton case and only a few days to rule on the Ohio State players, where as it's taken months for Kanter, months on Bledsoe, and months on Rose.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:You're also giving examples of north american kids. Give me an example of a kid from western Europe, Middle-east, Africa, etc. They don't know how things are run over here, they're in a totally different world than us and those from U.S. pacific islands and Canada. And Kanter played high school basketball in California.

And by inconsistency, it took them a few weeks to rule on the Cam Newton case and only a few days to rule on the Ohio State players, where as it's taken months for Kanter, months on Bledsoe, and months on Rose.

A very good point made. Taking way to long. The NCAA is milking this as long as they can.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:You're also giving examples of north american kids. Give me an example of a kid from western Europe, Middle-east, Africa, etc. They don't know how things are run over here, they're in a totally different world than us and those from U.S. pacific islands and Canada. And Kanter played high school basketball in California.

So, what other European athlete have they ever given eligibility to? I don't know of anywhere else, that a paid profession does not make you a professional. And, if you compete against those paid professionals, that makes you a professional as well if you accept any compensation.

An amateur may play in the US Open golf tournament, but mus receive ZERO compensation financially. They must pay their entire way both to and from the event, and they are no eligible for any winnings from the tournament. They cannot take money to be put into a college fund, they cannot take money for room and board, they cannot take money for anything. How does that differ?

As for the NCAA ruling, this is definitely ground-breaking, and as we all knew, would set the tone for all other foreign players forever. Cam Newtons, the OSU players, all of those incidents have happened in the past, thus there is a precedence that one can repeat or use for judgement. The player seeking eligibility after playing a professional sport is not. Thus, just like anything that is new in our life, sometimes it takes time to make sure you get it right (or your interpretation of right).

Everyone wants this done now because it affects you as a UK basktball fan. The rest of the nation could care less. The NCAA has no care that this affects UK Basketball, this affects ALL of basketball. Go to court someday and see how long it takes to put a case together against a HOF baseball pitcher accused of either doing or not doing steroids. Cases and judgements don't take a week to decide.
Pages: 1 2 3