Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Could Geno Auriemma cut it with the fellas?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Would UCONN womens coach Geno Auriemma be as good of coach coaching a mens team as he has done with women? Thoughts?
Doubt It.
I'd say he could. Eventually. But i don't think he'd be as good of a boys coach.

But I'd betcha Pat Summit could do both! :biggrin:
Absolutely not, ridiculous thread. Can a mod delete this?
Aslan Wrote:Absolutely not, ridiculous thread. Can a mod delete this?

Why post in it then? Since it's ridiculous.
MisterPerfect Wrote:Why post in it then? Since it's ridiculous.

Because I have to post how ridiculous is it Big Grin
Aslan Wrote:Because I have to post how ridiculous is it Big Grin

Lol, but honestly. Why do you say Geno wouldn't make it as a boys coach?
MisterPerfect Wrote:Lol, but honestly. Why do you say Geno wouldn't make it as a boys coach?

Because he coaches female basketball. Has any coach ever went from coaching females to men and been successful? I can't think of one.
Aslan Wrote:Because he coaches female basketball. Has any coach ever went from coaching females to men and been successful? I can't think of one.

No. But how many have actually tried to make the move to coach boys basketball?
MisterPerfect Wrote:No. But how many have actually tried to make the move to coach boys basketball?

Can't think of one and I don't believe they would be successful.
Aslan Wrote:Can't think of one and I don't believe they would be successful.

Ok, we will leave it at that.
MisterPerfect Wrote:Ok, we will leave it at that.

Agree to disagree :Thumbs:
Why couldn't they?? The game is Played the same. It's all about who you have playing for you.
^ I agree with that 100%. X's and O's means you can develop a gameplan based on the athletes that you have, and win with those athletes.
I've heard in the past that if the Men's program at UConn needs a coach that Geno would be at the top of their list.
I think he would be a great coach.
He has had some women's teams that were completely untouchable.
I think it would be foolish to think that he couldn't compete as a men's coach.
Stardust Wrote:^ I agree with that 100%. X's and O's means you can develop a gameplan based on the athletes that you have, and win with those athletes.

stardust where do u come up with these diffrent pictures, there way out there,lol
I think women's basketball is all about the x's and o's and men's is about the Stevie's and Joe's. Not a whole lot of size difference in the women's game with the exception of the woman/man (whatever it is) at Baylor. The men's game is about who can rack in the most 5 star players. I'd say a lot of players wouldn't go play for a guy that was a "girl's" coach...just my opinion.
cuppett777 Wrote:stardust where do u come up with these diffrent pictures, there way out there,lol

Just for you cuppett777 :biggrin:
Emmit Brown Wrote:I think women's basketball is all about the x's and o's and men's is about the Stevie's and Joe's. Not a whole lot of size difference in the women's game with the exception of the woman/man (whatever it is) at Baylor. The men's game is about who can rack in the most 5 star players. I'd say a lot of players wouldn't go play for a guy that was a "girl's" coach...just my opinion.

Great post, and pretty much dead-on. The men are all playing for an NBA contract, the women are playing for four years and pride.

I don't watch a lot of basketball, but to watch good womens basketball, you are truly watching the way the game is supposed to be played. It's not fun and exciting when you look at monster jams, and guys taking off from the free-throw line. Does anyone remember playing AAU basketball before HS? This is what we as players or coaches were trying to accomplish. Play within the system, solid defense and make smart decisions. In Mens, you can get away with a lot of mistakes because of athleticism.

Final note - during March Madness, we see it every year in the mens game where underdogs win their fair share in the early rounds. It means that teams with not as much talent, but better coached or execute better than the teams that live off of pure athleticism. You do not see that in the Womens tournament. The women are coached better top to bottom, and the team that is better, WINS! Rarely do you see the big upset from a team that has no business winning.
Maybe.
Emmit Brown Wrote:I think women's basketball is all about the x's and o's and men's is about the Stevie's and Joe's. Not a whole lot of size difference in the women's game with the exception of the woman/man (whatever it is) at Baylor. The men's game is about who can rack in the most 5 star players. I'd say a lot of players wouldn't go play for a guy that was a "girl's" coach...just my opinion.

?????????? I cant remember UCONN not having the best players in the nation. Year in and year out.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:?????????? I cant remember UCONN not having the best players in the nation. Year in and year out.

Geno's early days he did not have the best players. No if ands or butts about it, they all went to UT and he started beating UT. Once that happened, the best wanted to go to UConn.
I'm just not convinced.
Aslan Wrote:I'm just not convinced.

Come on Aslan. Quit hate'n! LOL
Never!
Men's and women's basketball are two very different styles. I would say Geno is better off to stay in women's bball
Aslan Wrote:Never!

Hating is just to much fun!
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Hating is just to much fun!

Exactly :Thumbs:
MSU Eagle Wrote:Men's and women's basketball are two very different styles. I would say Geno is better off to stay in women's bball

So based on what u r saying do you think a mens coach could transition to womens and be successful??

Coaching is about how well you know the game and whether you can control your players. As a coach you aren't physically doing the work so you try to get the best and play to those abilities. Some womens coaches do this better than anyone.

Take cal for example. He's gets the best players. He relies on them making plays. Thus giving you the dribble drive. He says go make a play.

Then you have guys like coach k who take mildly athletic players and teaches them to exploit weaknesses and run a methodical offense.

Both are good coaches. So if pat summit came in and got cals players and ran an offense like duke then I firmly believe she could win championships based on her knowledge of the game.
Coach Auriemma could be successful in the men's league. Sounds crazy doesn't it?

I'll tell you why he could.

First of all, he is a man and not a woman. This is not a sexist statement. It's just the way it is. A male athlete simply would not respect and listen to a female head coach.

To argue with taxidriver a little bit, Summit is a great coach. She has great knowledge of the game, much much much more than you or I. Her problem in the men's game would be simply that she is a woman. The sad truth is that most men don't respect women as an authority figure. And if the player doesn't respect the coach, then it doesn't work.

Secondly, Geno is a coach that simply demands respect and can be very intimidating. If you've seen some specials of his practices on ESPN, you can tell he gives his players a hard time and tells them how it is when they're doing something he doesn't like.

The guy can obviously recruit the best girls in the country. Thus, why couldn't he recruit the best high school boys if he were coaching men's basketball?

I'm not saying he could win 88 games in a row in men's college hoops, but I do think he could win with the big dogs. He's nothing but a winner.
Pages: 1 2