Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: ESPN's 30 for 30 - Pony Exce$$
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Great documentery on the rise and fall of SMU football. Makes one wonder how UK escaped the death penalty in basketball.
It was absolutely awesome. They have hit Grand Slams with the last two, MSU & Marcus Dupree.
It's by far the best 30 for 30 documentary they've made IMO. I loved it.
^I liked it
But I like the Marcus Dupree doc better
IMO, it was the best one yet too..its funny because I can remember as a little kid watching SMU dominate people..I can remember watching Dickerson, James and McIlheney..and I remember the day they got the death penalty, and their first season back. I remember Houston pouring 95 points and over 1000 yards on them..crazy days. I loved it though..and I think the reason UK escaped the death penalty (which, they should have gotten it) was because they seen the damage it done to SMU. Had SMU came out in 1987 and 88 and played football, UK would have been sunk.
^ Win any way possible right hoss?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:^ Win any way possible right hoss?

Wasn't that UK's mantra under Eddie Sutton?????
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:Wasn't that UK's mantra under Eddie Sutton?????

I wasn't born yet,, im not sure!

lol
Wildcatk23 Wrote:^ Win any way possible right hoss?
Absolutely. If I was there, I would have done the same thing they did. Better to take your chances and win 10 games than to do it the right way and go 1-10 every year.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Absolutely. If I was there, I would have done the same thing they did. Better to take your chances and win 10 games than to do it the right way and go 1-10 every year.

:Thumbs:

Agreed
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:Wasn't that UK's mantra under Eddie Sutton?????
Yep and he couldnt even go out with a whimper his last year. Done all that cheatin and couldnt do no better than 13-19 his last year. After all that, he got away without so much as a slap on the wrist. Nothing. UK SHOULD have received the death penalty. It was the closest a D1 program has come to getting it, and this is why, today, that the NCAA is so tough on the program. It is also why they dont get as much respect as Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, and the other powerhouses..Cheatin' U.
The Trans A&M bit was absolutely priceless (the gold Trans Am that Texas A&M bought Dickerson)..
I watched this one, and liked it so much. I watched it again. lol

The Dupree one was not as good in my opnion. But the people who put these documentaries together are great!
Sounds awesome!
This 30/30 was amazing. It was really interesting seeing the breaking of the Southwestern Conference.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:This 30/30 was amazing. It was really interesting seeing the breaking of the Southwestern Conference.

Same here. It was like a history lesson!
Haven't seen it yet. Sounds like I need to.
Totally agree with all the positive post's about Pony Excess. But is it just me or could there be some coincidence with a certain SEC coaches resignation coming the same week of this program's release?
Sorry, should have read Pony Exce$$ not Pony Express.
I haven't seen this one yet, I am sure it will be great. The 30/30 series has been great so far. I have loved every one I have seen.
aba91 Wrote:Totally agree with all the positive post's about Pony Excess. But is it just me or could there be some coincidence with a certain SEC coaches resignation coming the same week of this program's release?

I'm doubtin' it lol
I need to watch it again. I ended falling asleep with about 30 minutes left. Anyone know where I can?
Who else thinks that the story of the Unforgettables at UK in the early 90's would be a great 30 for 30?
Brooks4Prez Wrote:Who else thinks that the story of the Unforgettables at UK in the early 90's would be a great 30 for 30?

Me!!!
Brooks4Prez Wrote:Who else thinks that the story of the Unforgettables at UK in the early 90's would be a great 30 for 30?

Talk abt rising from the ashes.
MisterPerfect Wrote:Me!!!

If it were properly directed and produced it would be incredible. One of the best stories in all of sports in my opinion.
I dvrd pony excess and have watched it a good 3 times
TidesHoss32 Wrote:The Trans A&M bit was absolutely priceless (the gold Trans Am that Texas A&M bought Dickerson)..

Seems like everyone has come clean on their involvement except Dickerson. Who does he think he is fooling? He came across as a jerk to me. Man up and admit what everybody knows is true! It was a very good show.
sstack Wrote:Seems like everyone has come clean on their involvement except Dickerson. Who does he think he is fooling? He came across as a jerk to me. Man up and admit what everybody knows is true! It was a very good show.
Yeah, they must have absolutely paid Dickerson a Kings Randsom, among other things. Everyone said he would take it to his grave, never telling what they gave him. I loved watching him play at SMU and in the NFL, but he was a jerk in the pros too. How many contract disputes did he have from '83-'89? Three? Four? He was a phenomenal football player though. I loved what he told that David Stanley though-"Boy I'll whip your ***. You playin high school ball. I play in the NFL", LOL...his teammates loved him though..I was a big Craig James fan back then too (was the last white running back in 1985 to rush for 1000 yards before Hillis did it this season)..they were fun to watch though..the documentary was 5 stars all the way though. Excellent and thorough.
I would love to see a story on the Untouchables as well. Let it start out with the 14-14 overachievers that no one wanted, to the SEC Champs the next season, and then the team that played Duke in the greatest college game ever. I believe that would be an awesome watch.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Yeah, they must have absolutely paid Dickerson a Kings Randsom, among other things. Everyone said he would take it to his grave, never telling what they gave him. I loved watching him play at SMU and in the NFL, but he was a jerk in the pros too. How many contract disputes did he have from '83-'89? Three? Four? He was a phenomenal football player though. I loved what he told that David Stanley though-"Boy I'll whip your ***. You playin high school ball. I play in the NFL", LOL...his teammates loved him though..I was a big Craig James fan back then too (was the last white running back in 1985 to rush for 1000 yards before Hillis did it this season)..they were fun to watch though..the documentary was 5 stars all the way though. Excellent and thorough.
I would love to see a story on the Untouchables as well. Let it start out with the 14-14 overachievers that no one wanted, to the SEC Champs the next season, and then the team that played Duke in the greatest college game ever. I believe that would be an awesome watch.

Didn't Mike Alstott (who Hillis reminds me of) have a couple 1,000 yard seasons?
Pages: 1 2