Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Past Heisman Trophy Winners - Who's the biggest bust from the past 20 years
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As we prepare for the Heisman announcement this weekend, I thought about who has been the biggest bust after they won the award once they got to the NFL. This is not meant to bash the player for winning the award, nor is their an expectation that just because you are a great college player, it translates into being a good pro. But I think so much stigma goes to the award winner, that expectations are very high for them to do great things at the next level.

For me, it was Archie Griffin. He is the only two time winner of the award. He went on to the pro's and did nothing. I have to admit that I was too young to even remember Griffin since he is a product of the mid-70's, and I really can't say that I ever watching him. So, to fit the most of us that are Members of this site, I'd like to just look at the winners from the past 20 years. Who do you think had the most expectations but never lived up to them?

The key to this argument is, who had the most expectations? A guy like Gino Toretta was not even picked in the NFL draft until the 7th round, so, was there really any expectation that he would be a good pro? Yet, a guy like Andre Ware in 1989 was picked 7th overall. He obviously had a huge amount of expectation to be the saviour of the Lions. His career stats ended with a 1,000 total yards passing, 5 TD's and 8 INT's, and obvious bust!

Have at it.

2009 Mark Ingram Alabama RB
2008 Sam Bradford Oklahoma QB
2007 Tim Tebow Florida QB
2006 Troy Smith Ohio State QB
2005 Reggie Bush Southern California RB
2004 Matt Leinart Southern California QB
2003 Jason White Oklahoma QB
2002 Carson Palmer Southern California QB
2001 Eric Crouch Nebraska QB
2000 Chris Weinke Florida State QB
1999 Ron Dayne Wisconsin RB
1998 Ricky Williams Texas RB
1997 Charles Woodson Michigan DB/WR
1996 Danny Wuerffel Florida QB
1995 Eddie George Ohio State RB
1994 Rashaan Salaam Colorado RB
1993 Charlie Ward Florida State QB
1992 Gino Torretta Miami QB
1991 Desmond Howard Michigan WR
1990 Ty Detmer Brigham Young QB
Danny Wuerffel is an obvious one, but i have to go with Jason White.
They thought this guy was sooo good in college and he really wasnt, look at what USC did to him. He was never the same after blowing out his knees anyways.

Another good but is Eric crouch of Nebraska. Somebody told him back then that they dont run the option in the NFL and that he stood zero chance of making it big in the nfl.
^ Those are awesome one's. I agree with you on White, he was supposed to be a great NFL prospect, but it just never worked out for him.
After Matt Leinart won the Heisman he could have been the first pick in the draft. He stayed for his senior year and dropped a little bit in the draft, but was still a first rounder. He's done next to nothing at the next level.
did charlie ward even suit up for a football practice? i know because he wanted to play in the NBA that he didnt get drafted. i will say this of the list i think their has only been about 4 - 5 players that have had an average or better NFL career.

bush
palmer
woodson
george

maybe howard

tebow, bradford, ingram (i dont count either way, but bradford looks to be good)

ricky williams has had too much go on to be considered even average in my opinion.

the rest is pretty much trash.
Troy Smith really hasn't done a lot in the NFL.
He's getting some PT right now, but he's not really done anything amazing.
If I remember correctly he didn't get drafted, he just got on with the Ravens after the drat.
Either that, or he went really low.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Danny Wuerffel is an obvious one, but i have to go with Jason White.
They thought this guy was sooo good in college and he really wasnt, look at what USC did to him. He was never the same after blowing out his knees anyways.

Another good but is Eric crouch of Nebraska. Somebody should have told him back then that they dont run the option in the NFL and that he stood zero chance of making it big in the nfl.
forgot a word or two, fixed now
When the Broncos over-drafted Tebow, it put him as a first-round QB. He really should have been a 2nd or 3rd rounder, even then with questions. To be fair, he will probably be looked at as a bust 20 years down the road, even though I hope he ends up as a Hall-of-Famer.
johnnyt Wrote:Ricky williams has had too much go on to be considered even average in my opinion.

I would not consider Ricky Williams as a bust. He has not been what he could have been but he was great for those years, and has been okay since he came back.

To me, a bust is a player that SOO much is thought of, or they are a first round pick and they do jack-diddly-squat ever. Ricky had 3 or 4 great seasons.

9436 yards rushing, 2468 recieving yards, 72 TD's total..

Not a bust. He is under 64 yards away from having 10,000 yards. I can't help but think that he might have a small shot at being the ALL-TIME leading rusher if he had not messed up with the drugs and the Canadian football.

To add, he basically had two missed seasons in the middle of his career. Also his 2nd season he missed 6 games and STILL had 1000 yards.
Seriously, can you consider a Heisman Trophy winner a bust? It is the best college football player that season, not best pro prospect.
Stardust Wrote:As we prepare for the Heisman announcement this weekend, I thought about who has been the biggest bust after they won the award once they got to the NFL. This is not meant to bash the player for winning the award, nor is their an expectation that just because you are a great college player, it translates into being a good pro. But I think so much stigma goes to the award winner, that expectations are very high for them to do great things at the next level.

For me, it was Archie Griffin. He is the only two time winner of the award. He went on to the pro's and did nothing. I have to admit that I was too young to even remember Griffin since he is a product of the mid-70's, and I really can't say that I ever watching him. So, to fit the most of us that are Members of this site, I'd like to just look at the winners from the past 20 years. Who do you think had the most expectations but never lived up to them?

The key to this argument is, who had the most expectations? A guy like Gino Toretta was not even picked in the NFL draft until the 7th round, so, was there really any expectation that he would be a good pro? Yet, a guy like Andre Ware in 1989 was picked 7th overall. He obviously had a huge amount of expectation to be the saviour of the Lions. His career stats ended with a 1,000 total yards passing, 5 TD's and 8 INT's, and obvious bust!

Jarons Wrote:Seriously, can you consider a Heisman Trophy winner a bust? It is the best college football player that season, not best pro prospect.

You must not have read the thread header.
Eric Crouch IMO. He never even Played did he?
Crouch had to switch to DB if Im not mistaken..I could be wrong, but it was either wideout or DB..Im pretty sure it was DB..
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Crouch had to switch to DB if Im not mistaken..I could be wrong, but it was either wideout or DB..Im pretty sure it was DB..

It was DB, because he did not have an NFL arm slot. The same questions have always been discussed about Tebow.
LWC Wrote:I would not consider Ricky Williams as a bust. He has not been what he could have been but he was great for those years, and has been okay since he came back.

To me, a bust is a player that SOO much is thought of, or they are a first round pick and they do jack-diddly-squat ever. Ricky had 3 or 4 great seasons.

9436 yards rushing, 2468 recieving yards, 72 TD's total..

Not a bust. He is under 64 yards away from having 10,000 yards. I can't help but think that he might have a small shot at being the ALL-TIME leading rusher if he had not messed up with the drugs and the Canadian football.

To add, he basically had two missed seasons in the middle of his career. Also his 2nd season he missed 6 games and STILL had 1000 yards.

I agree. Ricky Williams may not be doing to much now but he had a few great seasons and definitely was not a bust.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Crouch had to switch to DB if Im not mistaken..I could be wrong, but it was either wideout or DB..Im pretty sure it was DB..

He switched to both.
2006 - Troy Smith - Ohio State - QB
2004 - Matt Leinart - Southern California - QB
2003 - Jason White - Oklahoma - QB
2001 - Eric Crouch - Nebraska - QB
2000 - Chris Weinke - Florida State - QB
1999 - Ron Dayne - Wisconsin - RB
1996 - Danny Wuerffel - Florida - QB
1994 - Rashaan Salaam - Colorado - RB
1993 - Charlie Ward - Florida State - QB
1992 - Gino Torretta - Miami - QB
1990 - Ty Detmer - Brigham Young - QB
1989 - Andre Ware - Houston - QB

Just to name a few. BUT, I wouldn't call them Heisman Bust. They were ALL great College football players. Just NFL BUST! :Thumbs:
Isn't Ron Dayne the NCAA leader in rushing yards in a season or career? I seem to remember something like that.
Ron Dayne was a HUGE bust.
Matt Leinart!!!
I actually thought that Troy Smith did a pretty decent job of filling in for Alex Smith and the 49ers. Maybe we shouldn't call him a NFL bust just yet.
Jason White or crouch would be my choice
Most recently Matt Leinart.
Was Eric Crouch the one that played like one season and announced his retirement?
What about one Mr. Steve Spurrier? He was not that great for the Bucs.
^ He sure has been a great coach though.