Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Epic Tourney to start off 2011
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
NEW YORK -- Men's college basketball has struggled to tip off its season with any fanfare in the midst of November football.

To combat that, four of the sport's top programs -- Duke, Michigan State, Kentucky and Kansas -- have committed to create the Champions Classic, an early season marquee event debuting in 2011 and televised by ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5898231
This should be very exciting.

I think we should be playing Duke every season on a neutral court.
I would imagine UK could do some damage in this tourney with the crew coming in next year.
zaga_fan Wrote:I would imagine UK could do some damage in this tourney with the crew coming in next year.

Right you are..
Next seasons Cats will outmatch the Cats we have currently.
Hopefully some of the UK players we have right now stay for next year to make us an extra deep team.

Should be a repeat of last season only I think we have a good shot at a championship.
November 15, 2011 - Madison Square Garden, New York

- Duke vs. Michigan State
- Kentucky vs. Kansas

November 13, 2012 - Georgia Dome, Atlanta

- Michigan State vs. Kansas
- Duke vs. Kentucky

TBA, 2013 - United Center, Chicago

- Michigan State vs. Kentucky
- Kansas vs. Duke
Man that is going to be epic.. I can't wait to see this! Just a year away!! LOL
This news is very exciting!
And I too think that we should play dUKe every year...or at least every few years.
zaga_fan Wrote:I would imagine UK could do some damage in this tourney with the crew coming in next year.

I figured Gonzaga would be part of this.
Benchwarmer Wrote:I figured Gonzaga would be part of this.

Nope
The Zags aren't on the same level as these programs.
This is pretty much the murderers row of NCAA basketball in the last 20 years.
Benchwarmer Wrote:I figured Gonzaga would be part of this.

LOL..
Your so joking.
****it, I thought I was going to be starting this thread, lol.

http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-bask...10aaa.html
I'm going to try and guess our starters for next years Kansas game, just for the **** of it and I'm bored, lol.

PG-Marquis Teague
Backup-Doron Lamb
Marquis Teague is one **** of a floor general. He can do everything a coach can ask for a top-tier point guard and more. Though, he does need to work on his 3-point shooting. I think Brandon Knight will keep getting better and better as the season goes on, he's made for the NBA game and I think he'll leave this year. Doron Lamb will keep getting better as a backup 1 and maybe starting 2 guard with Liggins going to the 3 later this year. I think he could go to the NBA, but I'll think he'll stay for another year.

SG-DeAndre Liggins

Backup-Poole/Miller
Hmm, the 2 is a very tough one. Liggins is a junior and probably one of if not the best defnesive player in the country. That could make him decide to go to the NBA, and I think he'll definitley be a 1st round pick if he chooses that route. I'm going to say he and Miller will both stay. But, in my opinion, Stacey Poole will be a solid backup at the 2 if Liggins stays.

SF-Michael Gilchrist
Backup-Miller/Liggins
This is a given. Gilchrist is just a beast, and would start on any team in the country. I don't see Darius Miller being a backup, after starting for the last 2 years. But, he has a great team attitude and always puts team first, so ya never know. If for some reason Darius Miller leaves, Liggins and Poole could play the 3 sometimes, like swingmen.

PF-Kyle Wiljter
Backup-Eloy Vargas

We all know that TJ will be heading to the NBA after this year, and there's probably a 99% chance that Kanter won't magically be eligible to play next year and pick UK over the NBA. Wiljter is 6'9 and an absolutely great shooter. He's a big man that can run the court, shoot from anywhere on the floor with ease, and defend decently in the post. He's also a great passer. I think he will be a great fit for our offense and a great fit at the 4 position in Coach Cal's offense.

PF/C-Anthony Davis
Backup-Vargas/Wiljter

Anthony Davis. This kid can play. He has great moves down low and is a excellent defender, blocking the **** out of anything that comes his way. I read that he grew seven inches in a year, so he's going to have to put on some muscle and improve his strength in the post. But, his upside outweighs the downside by a ton. He's alot like Wiljter, he has ball skills and is a great passer, he's just a better all-around post player. I think these two will switch postions when needed and give each other a rest.

This is just my rough draft of what I think our lineup will look like come Kansas time next year. The game is in November, so we'll still be very young and undeveloped. But these new freshmen coming in look like they will be able to play, and our bench will be loaded with veterans who can come into the game and play like starters. We'll have speed, veteran leadership, and size. I'm excited.

What do you guys think? Please make all the tweaks and advice you can.
Epic is not even the word, cant wait for this.
This is awesome!
vundy33 Wrote:I'm going to try and guess our starters for next years Kansas game, just for the **** of it and I'm bored, lol.

PG-Marquis Teague
Backup-Doron Lamb
Marquis Teague is one **** of a floor general. He can do everything a coach can ask for a top-tier point guard and more. Though, he does need to work on his 3-point shooting. I think Brandon Knight will keep getting better and better as the season goes on, he's made for the NBA game and I think he'll leave this year. Doron Lamb will keep getting better as a backup 1 and maybe starting 2 guard with Liggins going to the 3 later this year. I think he could go to the NBA, but I'll think he'll stay for another year.

SG-DeAndre Liggins

Backup-Poole/Miller
Hmm, the 2 is a very tough one. Liggins is a junior and probably one of if not the best defnesive player in the country. That could make him decide to go to the NBA, and I think he'll definitley be a 1st round pick if he chooses that route. I'm going to say he and Miller will both stay. But, in my opinion, Stacey Poole will be a solid backup at the 2 if Liggins stays.

SF-Michael Gilchrist
Backup-Miller/Liggins
This is a given. Gilchrist is just a beast, and would start on any team in the country. I don't see Darius Miller being a backup, after starting for the last 2 years. But, he has a great team attitude and always puts team first, so ya never know. If for some reason Darius Miller leaves, Liggins and Poole could play the 3 sometimes, like swingmen.

PF-Kyle Wiljter
Backup-Eloy Vargas

We all know that TJ will be heading to the NBA after this year, and there's probably a 99% chance that Kanter won't magically be eligible to play next year and pick UK over the NBA. Wiljter is 6'9 and an absolutely great shooter. He's a big man that can run the court, shoot from anywhere on the floor with ease, and defend decently in the post. He's also a great passer. I think he will be a great fit for our offense and a great fit at the 4 position in Coach Cal's offense.

PF/C-Anthony Davis
Backup-Vargas/Wiljter

Anthony Davis. This kid can play. He has great moves down low and is a excellent defender, blocking the **** out of anything that comes his way. I read that he grew seven inches in a year, so he's going to have to put on some muscle and improve his strength in the post. But, his upside outweighs the downside by a ton. He's alot like Wiljter, he has ball skills and is a great passer, he's just a better all-around post player. I think these two will switch postions when needed and give each other a rest.

This is just my rough draft of what I think our lineup will look like come Kansas time next year. The game is in November, so we'll still be very young and undeveloped. But these new freshmen coming in look like they will be able to play, and our bench will be loaded with veterans who can come into the game and play like starters. We'll have speed, veteran leadership, and size. I'm excited.

What do you guys think? Please make all the tweaks and advice you can.

Who do you expect to go pro after this season?
Will be a very entertaining day of college basketball.
Real Badman Wrote:Who do you expect to go pro after this season?

The Blue Knight, TJ, about 40% on Liggins, and maybe Miller if he steps it up this season.

I'm not going to speculate on Kanter because I don't know if he'd rather come back and play next year if possible or go ahead to the NBA.
vundy33 Wrote:The Blue Knight, TJ, about 40% on Liggins, and maybe Miller if he steps it up this season.

I'm not going to speculate on Kanter because I don't know if he'd rather come back and play next year if possible or go ahead to the NBA.

I'd say Kanter will not be around next year unless by luck he gets eligible this year then it's questionable.
Cannot wait for these games! Also good post Vundy!
I think UK and duke should play on neutral court ever year like say in ST Louis or something. However this classic will be EPIC!!! UK and Duke would be a greeat game next season, a great game
^I think UK will be better than Duke next year if the upcoming frosh are as good as expected.
zaga_fan Wrote:^I think UK will be better than Duke next year if the upcoming frosh are as good as expected.

I cant argue with that! if the freshies are as good as advertised UK will be good next season. I still say u have to have something with expierence to win a championship though! As far as a better team with more talent, the cats will be amazing next season. The best player in this tournament will be AUSTIN RIVERS!! Although he went to duke, he is the best player I have saw in awhile
zaga_fan Wrote:^I think UK will be better than Duke next year if the upcoming frosh are as good as expected.

I agree, let me ask you do you think Knight or Jones will be here come next season? Plus we lose Harrellson.
^If there is no lock out TJ is gone! There's no use him being in college, he's dominating. I think Knight will stay though, he has quite a bit improvement to do to be an NBA guard.
Aslan Wrote:^If there is no lock out TJ is gone! There's no use him being in college, he's dominating. I think Knight will stay though, he has quite a bit improvement to do to be an NBA guard.

That would be great along with Lamb Miller Liggins and the rest of those new recruits.

I was looking at Anthony Davis' stats'.. Has anyone seen them?
They are quite rediculous to say the least.

30+ points a game, 9 blocks a game, 18 boards a game.
Manchild is the definition of this kind of human.
"Just a man among boys".
Ballers Wrote:I agree, let me ask you do you think Knight or Jones will be here come next season? Plus we lose Harrellson.

I'd say Knight and TJ are both gone.
IMO they both could get better if they stayed another year.
Knight more than Jones.
I can't wait!!
TJ will be gone for sure, might as well not even hope.

Now The Blue Knight, that's a different story. I think he will progress and get better by the end of the season, and I'll think he has the potential to improve enough to be a lottery pick, but I think he'll just be a regular 1st-rounder, probably around 8-20. With Teague coming in and himself improving, I think he'll leave.

Gah, I'm already excited for next year.
Stardust Wrote:November 15, 2011 - Madison Square Garden, New York

- Duke vs. Michigan State
- Kentucky vs. Kansas

November 13, 2012 - Georgia Dome, Atlanta

- Michigan State vs. Kansas
- Duke vs. Kentucky

TBA, 2013 - United Center, Chicago

- Michigan State vs. Kentucky
- Kansas vs. Duke

i think they should make it a small tournment that way each team plays the other 3, now that would be gr8

Should be exciting.
Pages: 1 2