Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Randy Shannon to UK?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just heard on WLEX news that the Miami coach might be in the running for the defensive coordinator job at UK.
I think this could potentially be a great hire for UK. Has Joker worked with Shannon before?
I think it could be a good change.
Anything is an upgrade to what we have.
IMO Shannon would be better as a coordinator than a coach.
I actualy hopes this happens. Not because I dont have faith in Mike Brown but because I think Shannon is a stand up guy and a good coach. This also may help UK in recruiting as Shannon has connections in South Florida.
Amun-Ra Wrote:I actualy hopes this happens. Not because I dont have faith in Mike Brown but because I think Shannon is a stand up guy and a good coach. This also may help UK in recruiting as Shannon has connections in South Florida.

They mentioned Joker is wanting assistant coaches who are great recruiters, and with shannon having that Fla connection that could be a huge plus for UK. Definitely be the number one reason to bring him in. I also agree with Aslan that shannon would be a better assistant and it definitely wouldnt hurt anything compared to what we have now.
Amun-Ra Wrote:I actualy hopes this happens. Not because I dont have faith in Mike Brown but because I think Shannon is a stand up guy and a good coach. This also may help UK in recruiting as Shannon has connections in South Florida.

Good point.
I've got my sources within' the team and they're saying that's what they're hearing also.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I've got my sources within' the team and they're saying that's what they're hearing also.

Same here
UK has stated to the public that they have officially reached out to him.
This could be a huge hire for UK.
This would be great!

I agree 100%. Miami is my favorite college football team. He was just not cuto out to take over a major program with no head coaching experience, but by god, he went in and laid the groundwork for discipline and hardwork. I was in favor of letting go of Shannon, but not because he is a bad coach, it was just a bad fit.

Randy will bring a disciplined businesslike approach. Players will trust him and his defensive style will fit in the SEC. He brings an element to UK on defense that we have not seen.

Bottom-line, you always would like to think you have a replacement to the head coach in your staff. Shannon, though I am making no ill wishes of Joker, is a good fit should things go south with Joker.

They only negative that comes to me though is Shannon is still thought of highly as head coaching material. I think if he would have started at a smaller program and learned the skills of building a program, he would have been much better off. Instead, he came into a situation where the expectations of winning championships is the only acceptable measure, not building a program.

Good move for the Cats
Shannon as a Coordinator.... Good.
May be the type of hire we need at UK. Can't get any worse on the defensive side!
I have heard through a couple people associated with UK Football, that Joker has talked with Randy Shannon and Shannon has agreed to take a trip up to Lexington to talk with Joker face to face and tour the facilities this coming weekend during the UK and IU basketball game. If Joker can pull this off, this should tell the fan base just where Joker wants to take this football program and now with the resignation of Urban Meyer and with no head coach in Miami, Joker and Shannon can offer several good athletes coming out of Florida schollys and a recruiting base like no other....
This would be AMAZING!!!!
My only question is why would he not be a head coach somewhere else? If this works out, UK would be much better on defense!
Navajo4life Wrote:I have heard through a couple people associated with UK Football, that Joker has talked with Randy Shannon and Shannon has agreed to take a trip up to Lexington to talk with Joker face to face and tour the facilities this coming weekend during the UK and IU basketball game. If Joker can pull this off, this should tell the fan base just where Joker wants to take this football program and now with the resignation of Urban Meyer and with no head coach in Miami, Joker and Shannon can offer several good athletes coming out of Florida schollys and a recruiting base like no other....
Good luck with that last part. Shannon alienated many of The U's recruiting base. He did not recruit South Fla very well at all. They have a total of 4 commits now and when Shannon left a laughable 6.
LWC Wrote:My only question is why would he not be a head coach somewhere else? If this works out, UK would be much better on defense!
Here's your answer: He is not head coach material. If Miami didn't cut ties this year they would've fallen very, very far behind FSU and UF. They still may with a poor hire.
Stardust Wrote:I agree 100%. Miami is my favorite college football team. He was just not cuto out to take over a major program with no head coaching experience, but by god, he went in and laid the groundwork for discipline and hardwork. I was in favor of letting go of Shannon, but not because he is a bad coach, it was just a bad fit.

Randy will bring a disciplined businesslike approach. Players will trust him and his defensive style will fit in the SEC. He brings an element to UK on defense that we have not seen.

Bottom-line, you always would like to think you have a replacement to the head coach in your staff. Shannon, though I am making no ill wishes of Joker, is a good fit should things go south with Joker.

They only negative that comes to me though is Shannon is still thought of highly as head coaching material. I think if he would have started at a smaller program and learned the skills of building a program, he would have been much better off. Instead, he came into a situation where the expectations of winning championships is the only acceptable measure, not building a program.

Good move for the Cats
Excellent post, and I agree with you. He would be a perfect fit at UK as a DC. Im sorry, but I havent viewed UK as a legit SEC defense in a LONG time, and after a couple of seasons to get some of his players in the system, this could work, and work well. Unfortunately for the Cats, Shannon wouldnt be there long. Either Joker loses his job and Shannon takes over (which that I wouldnt mind that much), OR the Cats dont give up 700 yards and 40 points a game and he moves on to another fairly prominent position elsewhere. I would love this hire for the Cats though. I hope it happens soon.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Good luck with that last part. Shannon alienated many of The U's recruiting base. He did not recruit South Fla very well at all. They have a total of 4 commits now and when Shannon left a laughable 6.
I would take Shannon over Steve Brown though. Heck, Id take CHARLIE Brown over Steve Brown.
Man, that would be great for the program. I hope to see it happen.
I don't see it happening I would LOVE to see it happen but I would say a bigger name program will get ahold of him before joker can finalize the deal. But If he comes then kentucky could be a threat in the sec. We will have a good Offense under sanders from now on, and with a good D we will really shake things up.
TongueirateSho:Clap::worthy::Thumbs:
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I would take Shannon over Steve Brown though. Heck, Id take CHARLIE Brown over Steve Brown.

Haha :Thumbs:
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I would take Shannon over Steve Brown though. Heck, Id take CHARLIE Brown over Steve Brown.

:lmao: I ****ed myself!:biggrin:

so is steve gone? if not, would there be a control issue over who runs the defense?
I don't think Steve is gone, just yet, but this clearly sends him a message that Joker is not happy with him. My understanding is that Brown will be Co-Defensive Coordinator and coaching the Defensive Backs. The message has been sent out by Joker that he's not happy with Brown's defensive schemes.....
what's the latest on him, i haven't heard anything for awhile