Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: East/West All-Star Game thoughts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First of all let me say Congrats to the young men from the West team on a big win today. With that being said, I would like to express my thanks to several people for a memorable weekend. Coach Greg Mitchell and Coach Phillip Hawkins are two fine men that are working had for the youth of our state. I appreciate the chance both of you gave me to work with some great young men this weekend. I got to see kids meet new friends and work together for a common goal. I also want to thank Coach Holliman for allowing me to be a part of a great staff.
Hats off to the young men form Eastern Kentucky and the Big Sandy Conference for representing us all very well with great attitudes and talents.
Great Job to Damien Belcher and Triston Salyer of Johnson Central both have great futures ahead of them ! Also I was very proud of Jarredd Jarrell (Adams) and Nathan Prey (Perry Central) both were selected to the team but could not play due to injuries. I also want to say a big hats off goes to Michael Smith of Leslie County (warrior up front) !! He was selected MVP for the East team on Defense. Great Job Michael !
All the players on the East team were fine young men that showed nothing but respect this weekend !
Finally I want to mention TOOMEY from Anderson Co. !!!! WOW !!! What a future for this young man... Great attitude and a super athlete ! I cant wait to keep up with his high school career ! Good Luck in the future and what a BLOCK !
I was proud of the wideouts effort this weekend, nice job guys !
Thanks again to all the coaches and players for making this a weekend to remember for one coach from the mountains !
Coach Chip !!! Keep on coaching them up man you are a jewel !

Coach Jamie Howell
Adams Middle !
Nice post Coach Howell.
I would also like to congratulate the West team on a big win. It was a great weekend and the players represented their schools well.
I would like to thank Coach Howell, Coach Holloman and the entire East coaching staff for their time and effort. The game did not turn out as planned, but the players and coaches gave it their all.
Our Anderson County kids (Chris Toomey, Dusty Puckett and Jared Cubert) did a great job and I am very excited about their future as Bearcats.
I thought the East/West game was conducted very well. It was very well organized and the kids seem to enjoy themselves tremendously. Hats off to everyone who helped this weekend, you did a great job in my book.

On another note, I feel the East team wouldve had a greater chance of winning the game had they ran the ball more. Each time we ran the ball we were gaining yardage. But for some reason all we seemed to do was pass. I am not throwing off on the boys at all, they played great. I just couldnt understand why we kept passing.
I think the EAST offensive game plan needed a little more mountain and a lot less spread personally. The backs that were on this team were very talented and didn't get to showcase their abilities. Not knocking the spread offense, but its a hard offense to learn in 2 days. The west played power footballand moved the ball consistently all day and I think it could have been a different outcome had the east used it's excellent running backs along with the QB. I was really surprised to see that Damian Belcher from JCMS didn't get any touches as he was one of the best backs I saw play all year. Also the back/WR from frankfort #4 was a ball player.
I agree 100%. The backs that were on the East were outstanding.. You could have lined up and ran the ball all game and had aalot more success.. I personally would have liked to see Canady from Knox and Washington from Frankfort running in the eye.. That would have been a good set to see..

I guess having Ryan on the team dictated the passing game.. It was VERY ineffective..
How many times did the West score on the East offense?? I know one fumble recovery in the end zone and an interception returned for a TD.. Was there another??
Ryan could have been effective had they ran the ball instead they just sat in cover 2,3,4 all game on defense and played pass. East was one dimensional. Washington Canady and Belcher in the same backfield is so scary. Canaday and Belcher are very tough runners and Belcher is actually really fast too. Washington could flat out fly!
Congratulations to Dylan Cox from Bell he is an outstanding athlete and deserved to play in this game. Congratulations to the East side, even though they didn't win I felt the East team was more prepared and organized. I don't know how many times the west was missing players or had too many players. But the kids from the west did great. I felt the athleticism was far superior in the west with Powers at RB, Griffith at QB, and Brown at LB. I do not think anyone in the east could match up to any of those kids. I would'ed liked to see more running on the east and more passing in the west (you short changed your QB coach). But, oh well it was a great experience and I believe these boys will never forget this experience.
I think that was it but another turnover or maybe even two gave them short field. EAST Defense played very tough in the first quarter stopping them inside the ten a few times. I would just like to seen a little mountain football mixed in to give all the kids a chance to shine instead of just the QB.
Great experience, great time with the guys. Remember this is an allstar game not just a running backs game or one persons personal highlite game. If I was upset it would have been that I had a kid get selected to go and he sat on the sidelines for 90% of the time. We have to rememebr that these kids were all fighting for a place to play, no one was guarenteed to start and with that some of the allstate selections DID NOT START. With that being said, everyone of the kids I spoke to there were just happy to be selected and YES alot of them wished they would have seen more BALL TIME. BUT on a team with 50 ALLSTARS from each side of the state, it is very difficult. #1 on the WEST receiver had a great catch and got KILLED On a hit, bounced up and ran back to the sidelines- Will Edwards !!!!. Great game. #1 on the EAST had 3 passes thrown to him and he caught them, 2 for first downs and one to set up the 5 yard score be the RB. He did his job. THEY did what was asked of them and did not complain. They did not have somebody running up and down the sideline yelling at the coaches to put them in when they were rotated out.
When you have 50 kids on a team that are selected as all-stars and only 11 can play at a time the best suggestion that i have for them is: PRODUCE!!!
When you are asked to do your job, do it and do it well for the team will be rewarded.

Great uniforms this year and great atmosphere, kids had fun, played in a once in a life time event and sometimes the only thing they hear is from a parent: " You should have played the whole game and never came out, you are better than all the boys on that team."
Our children will remember every piece of information they hear for that experience, it is up to us to make sure that it is positive.
Have a great week and lets get ready for SPRING FOOTBALL.
Obviously, with 2 days of practice your defense is going to be a lot further along than the offense. So neither offense was really that effective. With that being said, it was a very good experience for the players. The ones I talked to said they had fun, so that is really the only important thing.

My question is, how much of this is simply a showcase for some of the Private schools to pick and choose talented players? I guess you can call me cynical.
BobCatFan#1 Wrote:Congratulations to Dylan Cox from Bell he is an outstanding athlete and deserved to play in this game. Congratulations to the East side, even though they didn't win I felt the East team was more prepared and organized. I don't know how many times the west was missing players or had too many players. But the kids from the west did great. I felt the athleticism was far superior in the west with Powers at RB, Griffith at QB, and Brown at LB. I do not think anyone in the east could match up to any of those kids. I would'ed liked to see more running on the east and more passing in the west (you short changed your QB coach). But, oh well it was a great experience and I believe these boys will never forget this experience.

I agree with you 100%.
First of all great game, but the atmosphere for the crowd was not all of that. Coach Nick from frankfort who was running the show has no respect for people, and after running people out of the bleachers and pointing the finger at everbody. He was asked who he was he lied then it come out in the end. It all appears to be for the kids and to a point it is but bottom line there is a ton of money put into this from the fans and parents of this all-star game and to have it at a rinkydink place like that was a joke. If you want to have something atleast have it at a place worth going to and make it nice for the parents and talk to them with respect. Nothing like cold pizza and hot pepsi. Where does all of the money go ?
First if all let me say that the playoffs as well as the All-Star game is a work in progress. The folks that are in charge will tell you that and it is true. As as assistant coach this weekend we were asked to put together a list of things that we thought were done right and things that could be done better. They asked for our input .... I dont think anything is ever perfect but the bottom line is, who was holding these type events for our kids before this group of folks stepped up and formed this association ? Make suggestions that would help make things better for all involved and dont ASSUME someone is doing something they shouldn't be. Just a thought ??? Take it for what its worth ?
Did anybody notice that Cameron Bailey #75 played on both the offensive line and defensive line. He played NG/DT and left offensive guard. He probably had more playing time than any other player. Just thought I would mention this since apparently nobody else will.
I agree great Uniforms. Shout out to Henry Co's Mason Fish. Played Safety and LB. Several big hits from Mason Sunday.
buzz Wrote:First of all great game, but the atmosphere for the crowd was not all of that. Coach Nick from frankfort who was running the show has no respect for people, and after running people out of the bleachers and pointing the finger at everbody. He was asked who he was he lied then it come out in the end. It all appears to be for the kids and to a point it is but bottom line there is a ton of money put into this from the fans and parents of this all-star game and to have it at a rinkydink place like that was a joke. If you want to have something atleast have it at a place worth going to and make it nice for the parents and talk to them with respect. Nothing like cold pizza and hot pepsi. Where does all of the money go ?

My guess is the money goes to making next year even better then this one. I don't know or care who Coach Nick told the parents who he was. I commend him on trying to calm some of the parents down. One Lady was going back and forth the bleachers screaming about playing her son's playing time. I don't know who the Lady was but, it is parents like that who make coaching and being a fan very difficult.
Bailey played both sides of the ball because the other kids on the bench were not getting the job done. I'm not a Bailey supporter or family or anything I don't even know the kid but he was better than the kids they had on the bench. Coaches are competitive by nature, thats just how it is. As Herm Edwards once said,"You play to win the games!" that goes for all star games too. Was it fair? probably not because there were kids on offense that would have been excellent defensively. I think powers from the west and canady from the east are both playing LB in the All american game but only played on offense in this game. All in all its a good experience for all the kids they get challenged for playing time, something doesnt regularly happen on a normal team. If your kid or any other player didn't play as much as they thought they would/should then I say hit the weights and use it as motivation.
I was also disappointed with the location of the game. Our local high school stadium was better than KSU's stadium.
Our local college field has a very nice turf field as well, I think the location should be rotated or even changed every few years. I think turf should be a must though because some of these kids may never get to play on turf.
First off, you guys have got to understand that this is an all-star game. It is sad to see that in a friendly game like this that you guys are blasting coaches, location, and playing time. In today's sports world we give every kid a trophy and tell them they are an all-star when honestly some of them are not that good. So lets not dissect the offensive schemes, or who's child deserved more playing time. Let's be happy that our kids did not have to stop playing when most of the state had already stopped, and tip our cap to the coaches an volunteers that gave their personally time to this game that we all love. This is all about the kids and this weekend may be one of the highlights of their entire football career.... :1::1::1::1:
RichBrooks Wrote:Bailey played both sides of the ball because the other kids on the bench were not getting the job done. I'm not a Bailey supporter or family or anything I don't even know the kid but he was better than the kids they had on the bench. Coaches are competitive by nature, thats just how it is. As Herm Edwards once said,"You play to win the games!" that goes for all star games too. Was it fair? probably not because there were kids on offense that would have been excellent defensively. I think powers from the west and canady from the east are both playing LB in the All american game but only played on offense in this game. All in all its a good experience for all the kids they get challenged for playing time, something doesnt regularly happen on a normal team. If your kid or any other player didn't play as much as they thought they would/should then I say hit the weights and use it as motivation.

I am not sure why he was inserted. I could only find a sequence at the end of the 3rd quarter where he was in and he was not in when that drive resumed in the 4th quarter. There was an injury on the East side and he may have been in that spot when Michael Smith (Def MVP and FBU All-Am) was out. Baily was definitely not in the regular rotation during most the game as he should not have been as an offensive position player.

I would hate for anyone to think they got benched or pulled in this type of game. I do not believe that is what happened. The West was run-dominant all day and double teaming the big linemen most of the time. The East linemen, lead by Michael Smith, had a great goal-line stop at the beginning of the game. With all the biggest bodies from the state on the field it was a tough game in the trenches.
Let me start by saying I was a coach for the East and this last week-end was a tremendous success. With Coach Hawkins hard work and determination it was a huge success. He's all about the kids. This was an ALL-STAR game with the best talent in the state. I personally have coached with Coach Rose in the past and I have found him to be more than competent to Coach the Offense.Actually when he was my head coach we won at a 90% rate every year and he run the same stuff he ran in the All-Star game. During the team scrimmage the players had no problem running all of his plays . That is not only a credit to Coach Rose but also a credit to all the great players he had. This was about the kids and I know that the East played all the players as equal as possible. It was a great event......
RichBrooks Wrote:Bailey played both sides of the ball because the other kids on the bench were not getting the job done. I'm not a Bailey supporter or family or anything I don't even know the kid but he was better than the kids they had on the bench. Coaches are competitive by nature, thats just how it is. As Herm Edwards once said,"You play to win the games!" that goes for all star games too. Was it fair? probably not because there were kids on offense that would have been excellent defensively. I think powers from the west and canady from the east are both playing LB in the All american game but only played on offense in this game. All in all its a good experience for all the kids they get challenged for playing time, something doesnt regularly happen on a normal team. If your kid or any other player didn't play as much as they thought they would/should then I say hit the weights and use it as motivation.

RICH not to start an arguement and I kinda agree with ya if this was a regular season game and all BUT this was an all-Star game to reward the kids who were either picked as all-state or picked to play. I dont think it should be a WIN at all cost game becasue then it is for the coaches. This game was initiated to allow kids from all teams to be recognized, well some of these kids were recognized and sat on the bench for not getting the job done,, NOT what i think they should be recognized for. Canady plays fullback and linebacker and is a great kid, I met his father during the week and he is a great guy, motivated and far more understanding the game and the long term aspect of college with kids. His oldest is a hot recruit right now as a juniur to TOP, ummm NUmber one rated college team in the nation. Some parents do not need an all star game WIN to prove their child is an All Star, a win in an allstar game is cool, but getting benched because you did not get the job done, with only 2 days of practice and learning new systems, play against the BEST of the state.. I think the WIN motivation has some people thinking> I am the greatest COACH in Kentucky history, I got to coach the ALL Star GAme and I WON..... The coach did not win, its not about the coach, it is about the kids that were there, it was about the recognition of THEM, THE PLAYERS!!!!
I have a great idea for next year... IF you are selected as a coach and you are from the WEST and your team is from the WEST,,,, THEN you get to coach the EAST!!!
Learn about those kids in 2 days as those kids learned about a new offense,or defense. if anyone is selected to coach they should coach the other side of the state's team.
Now stop worrying about an All Star win as a coach and focus on what you can teach 50 kids you never seen before, see if you have what it takes to motivate them, to leave a positive imprint on them.
OH and the punt rule,,,,,,,,, either punt the ball and get it where it stops or is fair caught. This not allowing the offense down the field give the return team the BIG advantage,,, or just play it and do the best you can with what you got.
I think TOOMEY's block was the most impressive play of the day... wish he would have had the chance to run the ball more!
Toomey did have the best block of the day...without a doubt!!! Would have preferred him as a running back because of his skill....but left him at receiver because that was his assigned position.
canoeman06 Wrote:First of all let me say Congrats to the young men from the West team on a big win today. With that being said, I would like to express my thanks to several people for a memorable weekend. Coach Greg Mitchell and Coach Phillip Hawkins are two fine men that are working had for the youth of our state. I appreciate the chance both of you gave me to work with some great young men this weekend. I got to see kids meet new friends and work together for a common goal. I also want to thank Coach Holliman for allowing me to be a part of a great staff.
Hats off to the young men form Eastern Kentucky and the Big Sandy Conference for representing us all very well with great attitudes and talents.
Great Job to Damien Belcher and Triston Salyer of Johnson Central both have great futures ahead of them ! Also I was very proud of Jarredd Jarrell (Adams) and Nathan Prey (Perry Central) both were selected to the team but could not play due to injuries. I also want to say a big hats off goes to Michael Smith of Leslie County (warrior up front) !! He was selected MVP for the East team on Defense. Great Job Michael !
All the players on the East team were fine young men that showed nothing but respect this weekend !
Finally I want to mention TOOMEY from Anderson Co. !!!! WOW !!! What a future for this young man... Great attitude and a super athlete ! I cant wait to keep up with his high school career ! Good Luck in the future and what a BLOCK !
I was proud of the wideouts effort this weekend, nice job guys !
Thanks again to all the coaches and players for making this a weekend to remember for one coach from the mountains !
Coach Chip !!! Keep on coaching them up man you are a jewel !

Coach Jamie Howell
Adams Middle !

:Thumbs: First of all , let me say thanks for even selecting my son .... Jarredd sat on the sidelines and watched this one .. ( injured ) ... But , he had a quality weekend with his coach ( thanks coach Howell ) , and he saw what quality football players and coaches look like , in an abundance , where everyone can play and coach on a high level . I've heard a lot of this coach and this player , good and bad , but , did anyone spend time with their family , or son this weekend and not enjoy it ? .. I , wonder how many kids and their families stayed home this weekend , that would've gave anything to have been chosen to play , that was the first thing on my families mind when Jarredd was chosen , what about his teammates , we had a pretty darn good team at ADAMS this year and he was the only player chosen , not complaining , but , we preach team , and team mates , ( Coach Howell , and his staff teach it this way !!! ) , so , in closing I'll say this , thanks , to the folks that made this event possible , a step in the right direction for football in our state ... Hey folks , events like this give notoriety to our kids , and , maybe , some college coaches in our state , will look at our kids , instead of looking out of the state !!!!! The Jarrell family , would like to congratulate and give best wishes to the kids and coaches , that move on to Texas !!!!:Thumbs:
I Rule the World,

Got the other two scores on video:
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum
I dont think you can put alot of stock in the performance of middle school kids in a so called allstar game.I have seen several kids that should have got a look that didnt.