Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: (9)Kentucky 74 (11)Washington 67
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final

Semi-Finals - Maui Invitational
Final!!!
Not much to say about this game but, Without Knight Miller and jones in the game we SUCK,.
^ Not entirely true
We beat the #11 team (and I believe UW deserves that ranking) even without those 3 in as much as we would have liked for them to be.
Terrence Jones has another monster game with 16 points and 17 rebounds!!
Brandon Knight gets a career high with 24 points and Josh Harrellson, even though everyone seems to be dogging him, barely missed a double-double with 9 points and 14 rebounds!!

Good Game Cats!!!
WOOOOHOOOO!

Gah, at least we know we can do it. I'm really excited, now it's time to give it to UCOON like the Great Wall did. The Blue Knight has officially entered the building!!!
A very good win for the young Cats as they can take a lot from this one. We have to make those free throws but I think that'll come as the season continues (hopefully). I like our chances to win against Uconn, lets bring home the gold.

** Hey Stardust, what your thoughts on big #55 tonight, 9points, 14 rebounds (7 off rebs). Big Grin
FoOtBaLl FrEaK 8-0 Wrote:^ Not entirely true
We beat the #11 team (and I believe UW deserves that ranking) even without those 3 in as much as we would have liked for them to be.

We went on an 18-0 run until Miller and Knight left the game. Without that 18 point run with them on the floor i dont think we win this game.
Rebounding & great defense won this game tonight.

Harrellson, Jones, Miller, etc. were beasts on the boards. Knight played great tonight, as no one on Washington's roster could stop him.

Washington is a very, very good team who went to the sweet 16 last season and returned just about everyone and this young team really outplayed them tonight, in just their 4th college basketball game.

This team is going to be very fun to watch this season. Much different team than last season's NBA team.
I know its been brought up before but, we have NO inside presence. Harrellson and Vargas are just not up to the level we need them to be. I think Harrellson is the better of the two, however, he seems to do something good then turn around and make the stupidest decision ever.
That and our short bench kills us. At the end of the first half we had Hood and Polson in the game. That is not something you want to see right now even if it was the very end and you were trying to keep the starters from picking up another foul.
I think we would be a completely different team with Kanter. IMO we are one good big man away from being a top 3 team in the country.

If we had a couple of other good defensive players we could press the whole game, while thats not Caliparis style i still think were going to have to do that eventually to beat some of the teams were going to see down the road.

I'm looking forward to see what we do against Walker of UConn. I would think Calipari will put Liggins on him for most of the game, i dont see him putting Knight on him being afraid Knight might pick up quick fouls with the way Walker consistently drives. Hes averaging 30 a game but he also shoots the ball A LOT.

As long as we play our game i think we will be fine and come away with a win.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:We went on an 18-0 run until Miller and Knight left the game. Without that 18 point run with them on the floor i dont think we win this game.

Come on Wildcat, we played the 11th best team in the country like already mentioned. They had more experience than us and we still won without Miller & Knight at the end of the first half.

Speaks volumes to me.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Come on Wildcat, we played the 11th best team in the country like already mentioned. They had more experience than us and we still won without Miller & Knight at the end of the first half.

Speaks volumes to me.

:Thumbs:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I know its been brought up before but, we have NO inside presence. Harrellson and Vargas are just not up to the level we need them to be. I think Harrellson is the better of the two, however, he seems to do something good then turn around and make the stupidest decision ever.
That and our short bench kills us. At the end of the first half we had Hood and Polson in the game. That is not something you want to see right now even if it was the very end and you were trying to keep the starters from picking up another foul.

I think we would be a completely different team with Kanter. IMO we are one good big man away from being a top 3 team in the country.

If we had a couple of other good defensive players we could press the whole game, while thats not Caliparis style i still think were going to have to do that eventually to beat some of the teams were going to see down the road.

I'm looking forward to see what we do against Walker of UConn. I would think Calipari will put Liggins on him for most of the game, i dont see him putting Knight on him being afraid Knight might pick up quick fouls with the way Walker consistently drives. Hes averaging 30 a game but he also shoots the ball A LOT.

As long as we play our game i think we will be fine and come away with a win.

They're role players, therefore if they don't turn the ball over and rebound then we should have no complaints. While I agree, we have no true low post presence but we're getting the job done while be shorthanded.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:They're role players, therefore if they don't turn the ball over and rebound then we should have no complaints. While I agree, we have no true low post presence but we're getting the job done while be shorthanded.

I agree. Our short bench is hurting us more than anything. If we could get some solid production out of those two from a defensive and rebounding standpoint, the other guys will take care of the scoring.

What happens if both of those guys get in foul trouble!
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I agree. Our short bench is hurting us more than anything. If we could get some solid production out of those two from a defensive and rebounding standpoint, the other guys will take care of the scoring.

And we got that out of Vargas & Harrellson tonight, or at least I thought so as they both combined for 13 pts & 15 rebs.
Great game tonight by the Wildcats!

I hate to nitpick but I don't know if I like the 0 assists and 8 turnovers by Brandon Knight. Still yet, he played well.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:And we got that out of Vargas & Harrellson tonight, or at least I thought so as they both combined for 13 pts & 15 rebs.

If we lose both of those guys to foul trouble against a team with good big men, what will we do? i think it would be devastating.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Great game tonight by the Wildcats!

I hate to nitpick but I don't know if I like the 0 assists and 8 turnovers by Brandon Knight. Still yet, he played well.

If he can put 24pts a night and we keep winning, I think we all can live with that.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:If we lose both of those guys to foul trouble against a team with good big men, what will we do? i think it would be devastating.

Well if we're without either, we can move Jones to the 5 and Miller to the 4.

I don't think we will lose much if either Harrellson or Vargas foul out.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Great game tonight by the Wildcats!

Yeah, we only had 7 assists in this game to our 14 turnovers. But, we're running the DDM offense now and Knight is a score first guard, unlike Wall or Bledsoe.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Yeah, we only had 7 assists in this game to our 14 turnovers. But, we're running the DDM offense now and Knight is a score first guard, unlike Wall or Bledsoe.

Very true.

I thought once the game was slowed back down after our fast pace pushed us out to a 14-point lead, we adjusted very well in the second half with the DDM offense like you said and half-court sets. Our defense was stifling most of the night as well, especially on the interior and on Thomas.
vundy33 Wrote:WOOOOHOOOO!

Gah, at least we know we can do it. I'm really excited, now it's time to give it to UCOON like the Great Wall did. The Blue Knight has officially entered the building!!!
The Blue Knight. I like that.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:They're role players, therefore if they don't turn the ball over and rebound then we should have no complaints. While I agree, we have no true low post presence but we're getting the job done while be shorthanded.

Washington has no true low post presence either. When we actually play a team that has one we will be in trouble.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Come on Wildcat, we played the 11th best team in the country like already mentioned. They had more experience than us and we still won without Miller & Knight at the end of the first half.

Speaks volumes to me.

I know, Miller and Knight gave us that big lead. when they went on the bench they outscored us like 30-5.
Ugly win, but a good win.
JH is awful, his stats are very misleading. He didn't really have anyone to guard since UW has no low post presence and played absolutely no help side D. Missing gimmie shots and can't catch the ball. He's just taking up space. Can't wait til he graduates.
TJ, Knight, Miller played well.
The last 3 minutes told me a lot about this team. Played great D, dominated the boards, and made there FT's when they counted.
The Knight/Walker match up will be very interesting tomorrow.
Aslan Wrote:Ugly win, but a good win.
JH is awful, his stats are very misleading. He didn't really have anyone to guard since UW has no low post presence and played absolutely no help side D. Missing gimmie shots and can't catch the ball. He's just taking up space. Can't wait til he graduates.
TJ, Knight, Miller played well.
The last 3 minutes told me a lot about this team. Played great D, dominated the boards, and made there FT's when they counted.
The Knight/Walker match up will be very interesting tomorrow.

:Thumbs:, Well Said.
MVP2 Wrote::Thumbs:, Well Said.

Thank you.
I agree with the statement earlier that we have no solid post presence. Vargas is not effective on the offensive end, and Harrellson does what he can. However, outstanding guard play tonight and Terrence Jones playing like he has all season long got the job done. The defense and intensity of Liggins tonight was contagious, and I feel like he was the main reason we won tonight besides Knight. I really liked the pace early on in the game. The faster UK can go, the better.
The call elbow call on Knight was trash.
They showed the rule on TV.
If the player swings his elbows excessively then a foul can be called but it looked like to me the defender was just up in his face and Knight was protecting the ball without swinging his elbows "excessively".
Aslan Wrote:Thank you.

Stop Hating, without those 14 rebounds, we would be playing Mich St tomorrow for 3rd place.
MVP2 Wrote:Stop Hating, without those 14 rebounds, we would be playing Mich St tomorrow for 3rd place.

I will hate on JH the entire year.
If Vargas would have got the pt JH had, I'm very confident he would have had around the same stats.
Pages: 1 2