Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Best Middle School QB in the State
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Without a doubt......the best cannon in the state belongs to The Lex Cath QB . He can run, pass and lead. Did not get a chance to display his option skills but can do so as well. He managed a high octane offense. Very coachable.....and improved by leaps and bounds since last year. Will be a kid to watch in the next few years with continued focus and growth!!!!
No dought in my mind that Jared Jarrell is the best 8th grade QB in the state. I seen him play 5 times this year, I know football is a team playing sport but with out Jared on the team, Adams is a .500 team. Congrats to Jerad on making the All State All Star team. Can't wait to see you at the next level, good luck..:1:
Well obviously I have to nominate our QB, Skyler Griffith. I saw the Catholic/Adams game and while these two kids were both terrific players, I think Skyler's arm is as strong and accurate as either of them plus he was the best running QB I saw all year and his leadership and smarts on the field are second to none.
IMO Ryan from Lex Cath is the best complete QB. With Griffith from Williamsburg a very close second. And Jarrell from Adams third. Jarrell undoubtedly is the best scrambler out of the three, but is behind the other two in accuracy and arm strength. I think Griffith is the best running the ball out of the three. I know I said Jarrell was the best scrambler, but Griffith is the best when the play breaks down and he has to run the ball. (Like a Mcnabb vs Vick, Mcnabb the scrambler and Vick the runner.) I also think Griffith is the most accurate out of the three. Ryan IMO has the best arn strength out of the three but lacks the mobility of the other two. He also had the best recieving corps out of the three, and often I found myself trying to decide if it was the QB making the WR's or vice versa. I've also seen Ryan run the and he can if he needs to, but would rather stay in the pocket and find an open man. And as of right now Ryan has what the other two don't and what you can't coach, and that is size. I would almost say that Ryan is 1a, Griffith 1b, and Jarrell 3rd.
This is just my analysis of the QB's that participated in the State Tournament. I know there are probably other great QB's in middle school football. On a side note Owen from Lone Oak is also a good QB. He is quite possibly the fastest player in middle school football. He just didn't get the opportunity to show all of his skill set in their game against SW Pulaski. Some other teams such as Harlan and Corbin also have very good QB's, but are more focused on their power running game (which they should be with the backfields they have).
Reese Ryan of Lexington Catholic finished first out of 50 QB's in Americas top gun camp. Qb's from all over the nation were attending and he finished 1st....nuff said.
I have coached football 18 years and Reese is not the scrambler as mentioned....he is a pocket passer. Considering he had 140 + offensive plays which is unheard of at this level.....he mastered them all. Great pocket passer, quick relaese, strong arm. He had a great receiver corp and line. I have to say that he improved 100% from the previous year. One of his receivers was moved from QB to wideout for the first time. Another had never played ball before. Combination of all positions....focus to details by coaching staff and an offense that utilized and promoted its strengths were key.
IMO the most athletic QB has to be Verity's #21.....although he is just a 7th grader.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:IMO Ryan from Lex Cath is the best complete QB. With Griffith from Williamsburg a very close second. And Jarrell from Adams third. Jarrell undoubtedly is the best scrambler out of the three, but is behind the other two in accuracy and arm strength. I think Griffith is the best running the ball out of the three. I know I said Jarrell was the best scrambler, but Griffith is the best when the play breaks down and he has to run the ball. (Like a Mcnabb vs Vick, Mcnabb the scrambler and Vick the runner.) I also think Griffith is the most accurate out of the three. Ryan IMO has the best arn strength out of the three but lacks the mobility of the other two. He also had the best recieving corps out of the three, and often I found myself trying to decide if it was the QB making the WR's or vice versa. I've also seen Ryan run the and he can if he needs to, but would rather stay in the pocket and find an open man. And as of right now Ryan has what the other two don't and what you can't coach, and that is size. I would almost say that Ryan is 1a, Griffith 1b, and Jarrell 3rd.
:Thumbs: Great analysis , Jarredd is my son and we're very proud of him as a family ... These young men can all play at a high level , who's better not for me to say , but , they're all fun to watch , for my son even to be mentioned with these great players , is an honor ... Good luck to these young men in the future , very bright futures indeed ..... :Clap:
Saratoga_86 Wrote::Thumbs: Great analysis , Jarredd is my son and we're very proud of him as a family ... These young men can all play at a high level , who's better not for me to say , but , they're all fun to watch , for my son even to be mentioned with these great players , is an honor ... Good luck to these young men in the future , very bright futures indeed ..... :Clap:

Great post! Jarredd is a special athelete. Only a coach on the sidelines can truly appreciate and know what Jarredd can do for a team. Knowing the plays and knowing the calls----and then watching what He can do as a player, a motivator, and a coach on the field is amazing. I have truly enjoyed coaching him---and I feel that I am a better coach because of him. ( It is much more fun to coach him that coach against him) Saratoga said it best----who is the best----Not for me to say! These are 14/15 y/o student atheletes---If they are willing to put in the Time!!!!!!! Blood , sweat and tears they are all winners in my book. Great job to all and good luck in the future.

Assistant Coach Sherman Holliday
Adams Middle School Blackcats
Hats off to Adams QB and little # 5 that had the heart of a Lion!!! In reviewing the films....I thought #5 was the most aggressive / biggest heart on your team. But there is no question that after playing you guys....you all played with alot of heart....you finished strong and never quit!!! Great job!!! Also thought offensively you were one of the more creative teams we faced......hats off to your staff!!!
Coach Rose.....Lex Cath ( off coordinator )
Does anybody want to give the Offensive Line for Lex. Catholic a little credit? I don't know the exact numbers but I dont remember Reese being sacked 2 or 3 times all year including the tournament. Granted, he has gotten better at scrambling and throwing the ball away this year but most of the time he had time to sit in the pocket and pick out his receivers. They also blocked well enough to have a decent run game when needed. I will probably catch soom slack from this but IMO I believe LC, as a unit, had the 2nd best O Line in the state, next to Corbin.
Have to agree with that......a very well coached line that stepped up to the plate every game. Kids worked hard and allowed the line coaches to get the most out of them. 3 will become 8th graders next year!!!
Raceland had a 7th grader Tyler Morris,who played 8th grade QB that had 1800 passing this year but was hurt in the Paris game. The next QB to step in was Josh Young with over 850 yards passing, then the All-Purpose QB was Connor Messer who had about 1150 rushing, 650 passing and 400 receiving. The three headed QB situation came in handy against different teams. Players all rotated in different positions and learned multiple positions. Who knows where they will play in high school.
Here are a few of their highlites:
Tyler Morris-
Connor Messer-
I didnt get a chance to see our middle school(Lex Cath) play but I herd the 8th grade QB is a player..I also herd some glowing reviews on the 7th grade QB (kyle Bolins younger brother) I herd he had some huge games for a 7th grader and has a great arm and accuracy for a 12 yr old.Sounds like Catholic will have some good skill players comming up. If anyone can give me more comments on Ryan and Bolin that saw them play would love to hear them
Skyler Griffith ... Hands down .... He can do it all run the option, sprint out passing,pocket passing , and when a play breaks down he can still make something happen. Also his leadership is great ... The stats posted are with him playing 25-out of 40 quarters in the regular season.... Sry to bust every ones bubble about the Lexington Catholics QB but Skyler is much better. Thats saying alot because Lexington Catholics QB is also great!

You failed to mention that Morris is a 7th grade hold back!!! Is that suppose to be impressive?
I looked at the you tube video.Very nice facilities!
Ram-Fan Wrote:Raceland had a 7th grader Tyler Morris,who played 8th grade QB that had 1800 passing this year but was hurt in the Paris game. The next QB to step in was Josh Young with over 850 yards passing, then the All-Purpose QB was Connor Messer who had about 1150 rushing, 650 passing and 400 receiving. The three headed QB situation came in handy against different teams. Players all rotated in different positions and learned multiple positions. Who knows where they will play in high school.
Here are a few of their highlites:
Tyler Morris-
Connor Messer-
I think this is a nice 7th grade qb,I wish him luck in his future.I also think we should not crown these kids as cant miss prospects so soon.Let them enjoy there accomplishments,If they continue to grow and lern they will have plenty of pressure in the future.Maturity at the middle school level will carry these kids along way.We should all wait and see who catches up remember Micheal jordan didnt make the team as a sophmore!
Quest4Heisman Wrote:You failed to mention that Morris is a 7th grade hold back!!! Is that suppose to be impressive?
Failed to mention? I dont think so. Did not think to mention it. It never fails that when a kid is spoken in a positive way, you seem to always have a negative comment of course unless that child comes from Ashland. I would think that as an adult you would have a more secure life rather than talk negativity toward a kid. BUT Your comments, rather sharp they may be at times, only goes to show your immaturity. Of course you may not remember the rule: "If you have nothing good to say about someone, then do not say anything at all."

But hey, I am a RAM-FAN so YOU dont think highly of us either. I can understand your negative feelings toward adults but your comments toward our kids is becoming alittle redundant.

I hope you find something in your life that makes you happy so eventually you may learn to live a more productive life and not focus your inbound anger toward kids.
havesomefun Wrote:I think this is a nice 7th grade qb,I wish him luck in his future.I also think we should not crown these kids as cant miss prospects so soon.Let them enjoy there accomplishments,If they continue to grow and lern they will have plenty of pressure in the future.Maturity at the middle school level will carry these kids along way.We should all wait and see who catches up remember Micheal jordan didnt make the team as a sophmore!

Thats true, but he made it his Junior year and we all know what happened after that. I feel that just because you list someone on here does not mean that he is going to win the Heisman someday, and I know you are not saying that, This forum is a nice place to help promote kids. Sometimes there are certain people who have to only say negative things about kids or make rude comments about a kid. Just saying, there are some very good athletes out there in the middle school ranks and sometimes it is nice to post some highlites to allow them to be seen.

Thanks for the positive comments about the 7th grade QB. he could have helped us in our game with Williamsburg. Not saying that the outcome would have been different, but it could have helped.
[quote=goBIGblue82]IMO Ryan from Lex Cath is the best complete QB. With Griffith from Williamsburg a very close second. And Jarrell from Adams third. Jarrell undoubtedly is the best scrambler out of the three, but is behind the other two in accuracy and arm strength. I think Griffith is the best running the ball out of the three. I know I said Jarrell was the best scrambler, but Griffith is the best when the play breaks down and he has to run the ball. (Like a Mcnabb vs Vick, Mcnabb the scrambler and Vick the runner.) I also think Griffith is the most accurate out of the three. Ryan IMO has the best arn strength out of the three but lacks the mobility of the other two. He also had the best recieving corps out of the three, and often I found myself trying to decide if it was the QB making the WR's or vice versa. I've also seen Ryan run the and he can if he needs to, but would rather stay in the pocket and find an open man. And as of right now Ryan has what the other two don't and what you can't coach, and that is size. I would almost say that Ryan is 1a, Griffith 1b, and Jarrell 3rd.[/QUOTE

Very good post and I agree with most of your analysis. One thing I would point out however is that the question was who is the best middle school QB not who has the most potential. Reece does indeed have more upside and has a great chance to be special at the next level; however at the middle school level where plays break down more often then high school, I would pick Skyler as the best QB. My opinion of course and we all have one. They both had outstanding seasons and look forward to watching them in high school.
Lone Oak had a nice QB as well ran and threw pretty well.
Recznik Wrote:No dought in my mind that Jared Jarrell is the best 8th grade QB in the state. I seen him play 5 times this year, I know football is a team playing sport but with out Jared on the team, Adams is a .500 team. Congrats to Jerad on making the All State All Star team. Can't wait to see you at the next level, good luck..:1:

Newjacket Wrote:Well obviously I have to nominate our QB, Skyler Griffith. I saw the Catholic/Adams game and while these two kids were both terrific players, I think Skyler's arm is as strong and accurate as either of them plus he was the best running QB I saw all year and his leadership and smarts on the field are second to none.

From what I heard on Friday, it is a possibility that we might find out who the best QB is in the state. Since most opinions are bias because of obvious reasons on all of the top QB's, I hear there is a good chance that Kentucky might get a QB named to the All-American team since all 4 QB's that made the all state team(including 7th) were nominated. If none make it then 1 or 2 of them might get named Honorable Mention. The kids that make the team are chosen by Eric Richardson from Atlanta GA. He is the same guy who is affiliated with the QB show called "The Ride" on MTV so there shouldn't be any local influence in the selecting. Good luck to all the kids that were nominated. Oh yeah, I also heard that all the kids that made the All State team at all positions (and some that weren't) were also nominated to the All-American team so its not just for QBs. Last year I heard KY had 4 or 5 kids that made it and played in the East vs. West bowl in the Alamo-dome last year.
knighted Wrote:From what I heard on Friday, it is a possibility that we might find out who the best QB is in the state. Since most opinions are bias because of obvious reasons on all of the top QB's, I hear there is a good chance that Kentucky might get a QB named to the All-American team since all 4 QB's that made the all state team(including 7th) were nominated. If none make it then 1 or 2 of them might get named Honorable Mention. The kids that make the team are chosen by Eric Richardson from Atlanta GA. He is the same guy who is affiliated with the QB show called "The Ride" on MTV so there shouldn't be any local influence in the selecting. Good luck to all the kids that were nominated. Oh yeah, I also heard that all the kids that made the All State team at all positions (and some that weren't) were also nominated to the All-American team so its not just for QBs. Last year I heard KY had 4 or 5 kids that made it and played in the East vs. West bowl in the Alamo-dome last year.

:Thumbs: Good luck to all these kids , from the Jarrell Family , on a side note Jarredd was chosen as an all state safety , so if they use this process , he probably won't be in the running , but , a middle school QB chosen to play in this game from our state is a win for all these kids , we're wishing you all the best and looking forward to a great all star game !!!!! :Thumbs:
Skyler Griffith has gotta be in there somewhere...!
SMP Wrote:Skyler Griffith has gotta be in there somewhere...!

Skylar is a dandy but the Lex CAth QB (Reese Ryan) was chosen for the All-American team as QB of the East and will play in the Alamo Dome in January. I'm just glad that one of our(kid from KY) players made it for QB because there were several great QB's in 8th grade this year from KY.
You are right Skyler is a dandy and he did a fine job today in the All-Star game. Reece Ryan is a good quarterback also. Skyler did not participate in the FBU camp that is one of the requirments to be choosen to be on the All-American team. He wasn't able to compete in that camp because of other commitments he had during that time.
Ryan is a solid QB but he needs work with his mobility. He also under threw some recievers and threw a couple picks in the all star game. Granted his offensive line wasn't great but I think if Ryan can put on some weight and become more mobile he can be a good high school quarteback. The thing with him is hes got the height to play in college now and with work on his arm strength and mobility he can play some college ball some day. Personally I wasn't blown away by his talents but he was a solid QB.
Got back from the EAST WEST all star game. I wasn't overwhelmed by any of the QBs. I understand that they had only 2 days to prepare, but I just wasn't impressed. The best ball of the day was a corner route thrown by Clay Mckee while he was on his back. The Lex Cath qb threw two deep passes, one int and the other a nice deep ball for a TD. Reece threw a lot of screens, which were fine, but I saw nothing amazing.
Pages: 1 2 3